Apple apologizes over battery fisasco, will offer $29 battery replacements for 1 year

DrMacintosh

there are two sides of this message. 

1. they did give us an answer. I remember here at this forum people said: "well at least! at least! notify the user while their battery is going down hill." and apple did. they are gonna implement that feature in to future OS. And they gave us a discount. $50. 
  2. but f:or those who are still not satisfied: 
  • Apple should have use better battery. 
  • For those who already bought iphone 8 because their older device is slow, what's gonna happen then? 
  • This is not acceptable, apple just advertised their new "upgrade battery at $29" package.

That's the thing about PR. Once the news is getting out, no matter how much you try to fix it, there are always gonna be complain about it. No matter how much you say, we are changing it, there are gonna be a certain amount of people always suspect you. 

Strip apple from this event, any PR for a company is a tricky thing. So, at least acknowledge this.  

If it is not broken, let's fix till it is. 

2 minutes ago, mrchow19910319 said:

So, at least acknowledge this.  

A year after they did it ;)

Just now, leadeater said:

More than a year after they did it ;)

i mean acknowledge PR thingy is tricky. 

If it is not broken, let's fix till it is. 

5a45c19bcaa0b_ScreenShot2017-12-29at12_16_08PM.png.6a3c3efee724d19e874ada45e72adbb2.png

I'm Jonathan Ive, the best fucking designer since Dieter Rams. I invented #minimaluminiumalism.

5a45c20fdb55a_ScreenShot2017-12-29at12_17_51PM.png.76b77210db5dc15611936063b90dcfd6.png

I'm Jonathan Ive, the best fucking designer since Dieter Rams. I invented #minimaluminiumalism.

6 hours ago, Godlygamer23 said:

Personally, I think it's simply Apple's way of making their devices last longer and be more reliable than other devices. I know there are people that don't want their phones slowing down over time(I mean, who does?), but it's a much better alternative compared to your phone shutting off entirely, particularly since we generally need our phones to be, well.....PHONES. If there's an emergency, having our phones shut off in the middle of an important phone call is terrible, and Apple's method is best for dealing with battery degradation. 

You know what a better alternative is? Let people replace their own battery. Not allowing that is the planned obsolescence.

GREAT NEWS EVERYONE! 

5a45c438084f0_greatnews!.thumb.png.1c8981aaa6f4c65127e280de071b96cf.png

4 minutes ago, Not_Jony_Ive said:

GREAT NEWS EVERYONE! 

5a45c438084f0_greatnews!.thumb.png.1c8981aaa6f4c65127e280de071b96cf.png

They don’t slow down their phones because they never update their phones xD 

Laptop: 2019 16" MacBook Pro i7, 512GB, 5300M 4GB, 16GB DDR4 | Phone: iPhone 13 Pro Max 128GB | Wearables: Apple Watch SE | Car: 2007 Ford Taurus SE | CPU: R7 5700X | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 32GB 3200 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 11 | Storage: 1TB Crucial P3 NVME SSD, 1TB PNY CS900, & 4TB WD Blue HDD | PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 600W | Display: LG 27GL83A-B 1440p @ 144Hz, Dell S2719DGF 1440p @144Hz | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G305 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball | Server: 2018 Core i3 Mac mini, 128GB SSD, Intel UHD 630, 16GB DDR4 | Storage: OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad (6TB WD Blue HDD, 12TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB Crucial SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD)

1 minute ago, DrMacintosh said:

shhhh.. that 1 nexus user is really fed up right now. 

"WELL, ACTUALLY MY NEXUS 6P.. "

9 minutes ago, Not_Jony_Ive said:

shhhh.. that 1 nexus user is really fed up right now. 

"WELL, ACTUALLY MY NEXUS 6P.. "

5a45c8979a133_nexxus6p.thumb.png.d20fcbd5f2c800899200d5c007988566.png

6 hours ago, Mooshi said:

Maybe the industry should stop planned obsolescence, what a shocking concept.

People who think Apple have any planned obsolescence have giant tin foil hats on. There is zero real proof to this and more evidence to the contrary. 

2 minutes ago, RorzNZ said:

People who think Apple have any planned obsolescence have giant tin foil hats on. There is zero real proof to this and more evidence to the contrary. 

Ok. Provide evidence to the contrary.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

2 minutes ago, Dabombinable said:

For a start Apple give updates to phones and support them fully for five years. 

They also adjust the power management of phones to ensure a smoother experience upon updating to a later software. This includes clock speed of the phones. 

6 minutes ago, RorzNZ said:

For a start Apple give updates to phones and support them fully for five years. 

They also adjust the power management of phones to ensure a smoother experience upon updating to a later software. This includes clock speed of the phones. 

Look at how many complaints people have of their devices slowing down after an IOS update.

And Apple doesn't warn people that their phones will be slowed down, or why they are for that matter. They just keep silent in the hopes that people will buy a new phone instead of simply having the battery replaced (and that's not helped by the batteries in iPhones being too small due to the sacrifices in the pursuit of ever thinner devices).

If Apple at least warned people that the cause for their phones slowing down was due to the degraded battery (which they used to do with their Macbook-except without the slowdown) then you'd have a legitimate argument about what they are doing as not  being planned obsolescence.

PMSL

1 hour ago, bcredeur97 said:

high voltage "mode" -- genius. that way it can work with older devices

at least until they deprecate "modes" and just go to 9V. then suddenly that old usb flash drive your grandpa gives you fries instantly when you plug it in

@leadeater

So.... QuickCharge, but stuck in high gear 24/7.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

1 minute ago, Dabombinable said:

Look at how many complaints people have of their devices slowing down after an IOS update.

And Apple doesn't warn people that their phones will be slowed down, or why they are for that matter. They just keep silent in the hopes that people will buy a new phone instead of simply having the battery replaced (and that's not helped by the batteries in iPhones being too small due to the sacrifices in the pursuit of ever thinner devices).

Their devices aren’t slowed down.  

35 minutes ago, DrMacintosh said:

Well, that, and I'm fairly certain the narrower CPUs common in Android SoCs would draw less current, and most Android phones have larger batteries. So this issue is less likely to occur to begin with.

My eyes see the past…

My camera lens sees the present…

15 minutes ago, Dabombinable said:

If this entire fiasco is anything to go off of, Apple's engineering and PR teams might not be capable of planning lunch until 5 minutes after the fact.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

Just now, RorzNZ said:

Their devices aren’t slowed down.  

Then why do people notice far better performance doing a factory reset (and then re-installing apps+using alternatives to default ones) after updating to the latest IOS version?

PMSL

1 minute ago, Dabombinable said:

Then why do people notice far better performance doing a factory reset (and then re-installing apps+using alternatives to default ones) after updating to the latest IOS version?

OTA updates are different to iTunes updates. They most likely are a bit silly with their device and don’t treat it properly i.e not clearing the multitasker and having a hoo-rah when their phone slows down for an unknown reason.

20 minutes ago, Dabombinable said:

then you'd have a legitimate argument about what they are doing as not  being planned obsolescence.

The fact is that if Apple did not do this you would claim planned obsolescence anyway, so of course when Apple does something to help the user you still claim planned obsolescence anyway. 

Laptop: 2019 16" MacBook Pro i7, 512GB, 5300M 4GB, 16GB DDR4 | Phone: iPhone 13 Pro Max 128GB | Wearables: Apple Watch SE | Car: 2007 Ford Taurus SE | CPU: R7 5700X | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 32GB 3200 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 11 | Storage: 1TB Crucial P3 NVME SSD, 1TB PNY CS900, & 4TB WD Blue HDD | PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 600W | Display: LG 27GL83A-B 1440p @ 144Hz, Dell S2719DGF 1440p @144Hz | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G305 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball | Server: 2018 Core i3 Mac mini, 128GB SSD, Intel UHD 630, 16GB DDR4 | Storage: OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad (6TB WD Blue HDD, 12TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB Crucial SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD)