Folding@Home Install Guide and Links - LinusTechTips_Team - 223518

On 4/28/2016 at 0:39 PM, Deltek said:

Hi guys Been awhile since I posted here ...not since I announced i'd reached 100M points and was stopping.

Few of you may recall my Titan X fried ...well a fortnight ago my i7 5960x also died.  Again I can not point the finger at Folding, but i can't see that it helped :)

Cheers

Been a while since I've been here but I have to ask, if your Titan X is fried, can I have it so I can use it as decoration? xD

Welp it was worth a shot. :D

~~~SnapDragon~~~

| CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X @ PBO & -0.06v offset | CPU Cooler: Scythe Ninja 5 |RAM: 32GB G.Skill Flare X 3200MHz @ 3600MHz 1.45V| Mobo: Gigabyte X570 Aorus Elite  | Storage: Crucial MX300 500GB + Western Digital Blue M.2 250GB + Seagate Barracuda 2TB + Western Digital 1TB Blue | Graphics Card: Asus ROG Strix RTX 2070 Super Advanced 8G | Case: Cooler Master HAF X | PSU: Superflower Leadex Silver 650W |

6 hours ago, Xsilent(X) said:

Just wait and be patient. :)

My original post was over a month ago (April 6th) and given the person above that post asked for their initial badge 1 day prior (April 5th) and have theirs, I believe I have waited and been patient. I also asked nicely in my second post.

for anyone asking for badges, the proper procedure can

be found in the  FAQ.

In order to be rewarded with the Folding @ Home badge, please note the following requirements. (subject to change)

Spoiler
  • Contributor - When you have contributed more than 21 Work Units (WU), you will qualify for this badge, to show your commitment to LTT and the team. 
  • Bronze Contributor - When you have contributed more than 1 Million points, you will qualify for this badge. This reflects your serious and continued support of the team. 
  • Silver Contributor - When you have contributed more than 25 Million points, you will qualify for this badge. This reflects your serious and continued support of the team and your very generous donation of resources. 
  • Gold Contributor - When you have contributed more than 100 Million points, you will qualify for this badge.. This reflects your dedication and continued support of the team and your very generous donation of resources. You are now a legend! 

That's it. Once you hit one of the milestones, PM your Folding ID to one of the moderators who will update it in due time.

PM Whaler_99 with your folding id, that way the chances of

being forgotten are substantially lower :P 

12 hours ago, Geralt said:

Been a while since I've been here but I have to ask, if your Titan X is fried, can I have it so I can use it as decoration? xD

Hah, I had it replaced under warranty :)

CPU: i7-5960X @ 4.5Ghz MB: Rampage V Extreme GPU: Titan X (self OC) Mem: 32GB Corsair Dominator Platinum DDR4 @ 3000 PSU: Corsair AX1200i With Green/Black Sleeved Cablemod Cables, Case: Corsair 900D KB: Corsair K95 RGB Cherry Red, Mouse: Logitech G502 + Destructor 2 Mat, Sound: Logitech Z623 Speakers, Display: 2x Samsung BX2440's, Cooling: Corsair H100i on CPU. 5x 140mm Intake fans + 1x 140mm Exhaust.

11 hours ago, Deltek said:

Hah, I had it replaced under warranty :)

Darn ut. I forgot about the 3 year warranty. xD

Oh well I tried. You have any dead hardware by any chance tho? I'd love to decorate my mancave. I got my old 8800GTS sitting on the shelf after dying from folding atm. Looking for more stuff for the shelf ^.^

~~~SnapDragon~~~

| CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X @ PBO & -0.06v offset | CPU Cooler: Scythe Ninja 5 |RAM: 32GB G.Skill Flare X 3200MHz @ 3600MHz 1.45V| Mobo: Gigabyte X570 Aorus Elite  | Storage: Crucial MX300 500GB + Western Digital Blue M.2 250GB + Seagate Barracuda 2TB + Western Digital 1TB Blue | Graphics Card: Asus ROG Strix RTX 2070 Super Advanced 8G | Case: Cooler Master HAF X | PSU: Superflower Leadex Silver 650W |

On 5/7/2016 at 0:39 AM, Geralt said:

Oh well I tried. You have any dead hardware by any chance tho? I'd love to decorate my mancave. I got my old 8800GTS sitting on the shelf after dying from folding atm. Looking for more stuff for the shelf ^.^

Right now my 5960x is in for testing.  I attribute this to folding too :) ...my K95 also but I can't put this down to folding.  Both are one year old.

People who say folding doesn't harm your system perhaps forget to add 'at least in the short term' to the end of their statements ?

Whilst I can't be 100% certain of this I did have a GPU and CPU, both very expensive models die within 12 months with doing nothing more than folding.

CPU: i7-5960X @ 4.5Ghz MB: Rampage V Extreme GPU: Titan X (self OC) Mem: 32GB Corsair Dominator Platinum DDR4 @ 3000 PSU: Corsair AX1200i With Green/Black Sleeved Cablemod Cables, Case: Corsair 900D KB: Corsair K95 RGB Cherry Red, Mouse: Logitech G502 + Destructor 2 Mat, Sound: Logitech Z623 Speakers, Display: 2x Samsung BX2440's, Cooling: Corsair H100i on CPU. 5x 140mm Intake fans + 1x 140mm Exhaust.

12 hours ago, Deltek said:

Right now my 5960x is in for testing.  I attribute this to folding too :) ...my K95 also but I can't put this down to folding.  Both are one year old.

People who say folding doesn't harm your system perhaps forget to add 'at least in the short term' to the end of their statements ?

Whilst I can't be 100% certain of this I did have a GPU and CPU, both very expensive models die within 12 months with doing nothing more than folding.

Yeah I don't do 24 hour folding but I fold when I'm awake so that's about 8 hours a day on my home server and desktop rig. On top of that, I fold within the chrome client on my laptop whenever I'm in school since the school likes to keep the classrooms at server room temps.

But yeah, if you have any dead hardware, could you drop me a PM? I'd like to get some of your dead stuff for decoration.

Also how much PPD does a 5960X output compared to say a 4790K? Does more cores = more PPD?

~~~SnapDragon~~~

If you need badges, please PM me :)

Forum Links - Community Standards, Privacy Policy, FAQ, Features Suggestions, Bug and Issues.

Folding/Boinc Info - Check out the Folding and Boinc Section, read the Folding Install thread and the Folding FAQ. Info on Boinc is here. Don't forget to join team 223518. Check out other users Folding Rigs for ideas. Don't forget to follow the @LTTCompute for updates and other random posts about the various teams.

Follow me on Twitter for updates @Whaler_99

Wanna hear what dumb fuck me did? Decided to start folding yet again. Of course there were problems etc. Uninstall/reinstall fixed it. Configuring identity. Only just realised the day after that Hzay125 was getting points. Not Hazy125. Oh well, Hzay was going strong with 600k odd points in 24 hours or something like that. RIP Hzay125.

I am good at computer

Spoiler

Motherboard: Gigabyte G1 sniper 3 | CPU: Intel 3770k @5.1Ghz | RAM: 32Gb G.Skill Ripjaws X @1600Mhz | Graphics card: EVGA 980 Ti SC | HDD: Seagate barracuda 3298534883327.74B + Samsung OEM 5400rpm drive + Seatgate barracude 2TB | PSU: Cougar CMX 1200w | CPU cooler: Custom loop

• 2 weeks later...

Just hit 1 million points. Over 1 million points actually xD

Dropped @Whaler_99 a PM but putting this here in case.

~~~SnapDragon~~~

How do I get my badge for folding@Home.

Good luck, Have fun, Build PC, and have a last gen console for use once a year. I should answer most of the time between 9 to 3 PST

NightHawk 3.0: R7 5700x @, B550A vision D, H105, 2x32gb Oloy 3600, Sapphire RX 6700XT  Nitro+, Corsair RM750X, 500 gb 850 evo, 2tb rocket and 5tb Toshiba x300, 2x 6TB WD Black W10 all in a 750D airflow.
GF PC: (nighthawk 2.0): R7 2700x, B450m vision D, 4x8gb Geli 2933, Strix GTX970, CX650M RGB, Obsidian 350D

Skunkworks: R5 3500U, 16gb, 500gb Adata XPG 6000 lite, Vega 8. HP probook G455R G6 Ubuntu 20. LTS

Condor (MC server): 6600K, z170m plus, 16gb corsair vengeance LPX, samsung 750 evo, EVGA BR 450.

Spirt  (NAS) ASUS Z9PR-D12, 2x E5 2620V2, 8x4gb, 24 3tb HDD. F80 800gb cache, trueNAS, 2x12disk raid Z3 stripped

PSU Tier List      Motherboard Tier List     SSD Tier List     How to get PC parts cheap    HP probook 445R G6 review

"Stupidity is like trying to find a limit of a constant. You are never truly smart in something, just less stupid."

Camera Gear: X-S10, 16-80 F4, 60D, 24-105 F4, 50mm F1.4, Helios44-m, 2 Cos-11D lavs

5 minutes ago, GDRRiley said:

How do I get my badge for folding@Home.

PM @Whaler_99 when you get 21 WU's *(Work Units).

Edited by SansVarnic

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

Just now, SansVarnic said:

PM @Windspeed36 when you get 21 WU's.

Whaler_99 that is, but yes. That also works ;) 

I would like to take this opportunity to refer to 

my comment at the top of this page :D 

1 minute ago, tobben said:

Whaler_99 that is, but yes. That also works ;) 

I would like to take this opportunity to refer to 

my comment at the top of this page :D 

Yeah I fixed it when I realized i put down the wrong person . . .  :/

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

23 minutes ago, SansVarnic said:

Yeah I fixed it when I realized i put down the wrong person . . .  :/

Technically you can pm any of the staff members,

it's just faster to go directly to whaler. 

• 2 months later...

The link that tells you how to earn badges doesn't tell me how, so how do I?

Please "Quote" me if you want me to see your response.

4 minutes ago, Justin_ said:

The link that tells you how to earn badges doesn't tell me how, so how do I?

Are you sure you are looking at the right place?

You can find it in the FAQ: 

Spoiler

In order to be rewarded with the Folding @ Home badge, please note the following requirements. (subject to change)

• Contributor - When you have contributed more than 21 Work Units (WU), you will qualify for this badge, to show your commitment to LTT and the team. fold_mem.png
  • Bronze Contributor - When you have contributed more than 1 Million points, you will qualify for this badge. This reflects your serious and continued support of the team. fl_bronze1.jpg
  • Silver Contributor - When you have contributed more than 25 Million points, you will qualify for this badge. This reflects your serious and continued support of the team and your very generous donation of resources. fl_silver1.jpg
  • Gold Contributor - When you have contributed more than 100 Million points, you will qualify for this badge.. This reflects your dedication and continued support of the team and your very generous donation of resources.fl_gold1.jpg
  • Platinum Contributor - When you have contributed more than 500 Million points, you will qualify for this final badge. You are now a legend! plat.png

That's it. Once you hit one of the milestones, PM your Folding ID to one of the moderators who will update it in due 

Got to meet the requirement for the specific badge 

then pm a staff member (ie whaler_99).

ok I found it, i'm exhausted I got up too early :P

Please "Quote" me if you want me to see your response.

• 2 weeks later...

so i just joined the team  and started folding so i am a noob but is there sometimes no work available? 

-TheFailBot

1 minute ago, TheFailBot said:

so i just joined the team  and started folding so i am a noob but is there sometimes no work available? 

For the most part only when something

goes wrong (as far i am aware). It can 

happen though.

Is this on a cpu or gpu? try setting the 

cpu threads to an even number. 

Hello guys, Im new here and new to FAH and i have encountered a slight issue with FAH. I had a LGA771 quad core Xeon running at 4.0GHz, on the web control it shows that im getting roughly 8k points per day, now that i have changed platform to a 1366 hex core Xeon running at 4.47GHz, the points per day dropped to a mere 1k to 2k per day. So the question is if its a configuration problem or does changing platform affected it?

23 minutes ago, DeanS said:

Hello guys, Im new here and new to FAH and i have encountered a slight issue with FAH. I had a LGA771 quad core Xeon running at 4.0GHz, on the web control it shows that im getting roughly 8k points per day, now that i have changed platform to a 1366 hex core Xeon running at 4.47GHz, the points per day dropped to a mere 1k to 2k per day. So the question is if its a configuration problem or does changing platform affected it?

I would make a new thread about this

and include a screenshot of the client.

ppd varies with alot of factors. It varies

with different wu's, bonus points, cpu

utilization, has it been paused and so

forth. The wu also needs to progress

atleast a few percent to give any

accurate estimates.

Check the cpu utilization and make 

sure you have the right passkey. 

57 minutes ago, tobben said:

I would make a new thread about this

and include a screenshot of the client.

ppd varies with alot of factors. It varies

with different wu's, bonus points, cpu

utilization, has it been paused and so

forth. The wu also needs to progress

atleast a few percent to give any

accurate estimates.

Check the cpu utilization and make 

sure you have the right passkey. 

Dear Tobben, funny thing is that i dont really understand what the passkey does, all i did was press the 'send me a passkey' link, and typed in the new passkey sent to me, now it has gone back up to 45k instantly. I guess u can say its sort of solved. :)

Passkeys are required for bonus points to be rewarded.  Otherwise without one you just get the base credit.

2023 BOINC Pentathlon Event

F@H & BOINC Installation on Linux Guide

My CPU Army: 5800X, E5-2670V3, 1950X, 5960X J Batch, 10750H *lappy

My GPU Army:3080Ti, 960 FTW @ 1551MHz, RTX 2070 Max-Q *lappy

My Console Brigade: Gamecube, Wii, Wii U, Switch, PS2 Fatty, Xbox One S, Xbox One X

My Tablet Squad: iPad Air 5th Gen, Samsung Tab S, Nexus 7 (1st gen)

3D Printer Unit: Prusa MK3S, Prusa Mini, EPAX E10

VR Headset: Quest 2

Hardware lost to Kevdog's Law of Folding

OG Titan, 5960X, ThermalTake BlackWidow 850 Watt PSU

3 minutes ago, Ithanul said:

Passkeys are required for bonus points to be rewarded.  Otherwise without one you just get the base credit.

Yea i clicked into the What is a passkey link and read it all, understood it somewhat, good to go again.