The ULTIMATE Travel Gaming Setup?

Bring a mini projector to make it even more ultimate :)

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

I'd have a lot of trouble taking that one a plane. I can't even go through security with a bag of crackers without them pulling it out and checking it for chemical residue. and thats not even international travel thats just within the 48 states lol. 

First of all, excess baggage fees are expensive so gaming while going to Paris is already not feasible not to mention the awful internet speeds of many hotels. Thirdly, I feel bad for anyone who would go to Paris but instead of going out and exploring things like tasting authentic French croissant or wine, they'd rather game alone in a hotel room with abysmal wifi. 

Also, I could get in trouble with airport security by bringing an eGPU as they might mistake it for a IED and I have to wait for hours until they checked it and by the time they're done, I already missed my flight so no.

Edited by hey_yo_

There is more that meets the eye
I see the soul that is inside

47 minutes ago, nicklmg said:

Buy Aorus Gaming Box on Amazon: http://geni.us/8cOG

Okay I think I'm going to get one of these with my Christmas money but I'm not sure if it will work with my laptop. It has to Thunderbolt 3 or whatever the io it needs it's just I don't know much about compatibility of it. What I'm thinking of using it with is my Dell Inspiron 15 two in one. 

Also I looked on Amazon and the ones that first appear on the link that was provided in the video or over or at $500 or more. Where's the one that's around 200 or maybe at 200?

I believe that these boxes can be great for users that want that straight gaming business at home and non gaming while traveling with a sleek laptop. Even for students, it's great not having to haul your one and only gaming laptop everywhere.

But traveling with the box? Does not look like a great benefit to me, it's still one bag more.

I also didn't know the thunderbolt connection is limiting the output bandwidth, for the input/output loop that needs to happen, could HDMI INs on Laptops not come back? 

We do what we can, because we must.

Random question! Do you guys think an asus transformer 3 pro or the eve v (2-1 tablets with egpu support) work with that build? That could be like a Nintendoswitch on steroids!

New to the community so go easy on me haha

4 minutes ago, craftisabel said:

Okay I think I'm going to get one of these with my Christmas money but I'm not sure if it will work with my laptop. It has to Thunderbolt 3 or whatever the io it needs it's just I don't know much about compatibility of it. What I'm thinking of using it with is my Dell Inspiron 15 two in one. 

Also I looked on Amazon and the ones that first appear on the link that was provided in the video or over or at $500 or more. Where's the one that's around 200 or maybe at 200?

The ones on Amazon include a GPU - Linus referenced $200 as what the price would be once you cut out the cost of the GPU (since the Core is $500 without the GPU). I'm not sure if you can get them without a GPU.

So let me get this straight, its $570 for the GTX 1070 version which includes the GPU and the unit? If so, sweet

Why do people need to game when they are traveling though? If it is a business trip you'll be busy working, if it is vacation you should just enjoy stuff outside the gaming you're already used to on daily basis.

I personally think that stuff like game on a hotel or an airplane? etc... all that bring more discomfort than any thing in my opinion... why force gaming if it isn't going to be as pleasuring.

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

How about take it to the next level?
ThunderBolt 3 GPU enclosure.

(SkullCanyon) NUC

and hook it up to TV in your hotel room (expecting you wont be sleeping in cheap hostel.)

Thunderbolt Enclosures are awesome. I've seen people in our industry (broadcast) use them to enclose 4 Port HD Video Capture Cards.

4 Camera (Like, studio cameras) 1080p Livestream off a laptop.

I'm actually now a little bit upset that my laptop doesn't have a thunderbolt port.  I'd sort of written it off as something I wouldn't use after I spent  years not utilizing it on my desktop... but I'd never really considered the mobile applications.

Current stuff:

Laptop:

Dell Inspiron 15 Gaming

Intel Core i5 7300HQ @ 2.50ghz

GeForce GTX 1050

32gb Crucial DDR4 2133

500gb Samsung 850 EVO

5TB Seagate Barracuda 5400RPM Laptop drive

Desktop:

Intel Core i7 6700k @ 4.20ghz

2x GeForce GTX 1080 Founders Edition

4x8gb GSkill Ripjaws V DDR4 2133

Gigabyte Z170X Gaming G1

480gb Kingston HyperX Predator

2TB Seagate Barracuda 7200RPM HDD

Corsair Strafe RGB w/MX Blue switches

Mad Catz R.A.T. 7

Lots of completely necessary "Go Faster" lights

Server:

Dell PowerEdge T30

4x Western Digital Blue 1TB 7200RPM Drives

1x4gb Hynix DDR4 2133 RAM

CoolerMaster CM Storm QuickFire Rapid w/MX Blue switches&Custom NVIDIA/QuakeCon keycaps

I really liked this video- it's great that LMG is breaking from the 'standard' format more to provide a pseudo OP-ed on some interesting applications to cool technology we already know exists. Feels less like a sales pitch and more like someone talking on 'our level'.

There does seem to be a lot of debate about the viability or necessity of this kind of tech application, however, and it should be pretty obvious this isn't the standard loadout for travel anyone is recommending. If I was in Paris, NYC, Tokyo, or any other major culture hub for my first time, or even my fifth time, I'd absolutely be out seeing the sights and taking in the nightlife- but I travel a ton for work (probably not quite as much as Linus) so Paris on the first trip was exciting, on the 10th it became just another city with a hotel and bar nearby. Sometimes the way to unwind after a busy day is just video gaming, no matter where you are.

Further, this is definitely not (again) the standard loadout for anyone who games on the go: it may be more efficient for your workflow to invest in a high-powered laptop with a discrete GPU onboard (baggage fees, preferring an AIO solution, etc), and that's totally cool. I think the thing this video highlights (that is important) is that flexibility is a great thing for everyone; and the sort of technology Thunderbolt 3 and TB3 enclosures permit allows a level of flexibility that was previously truly impossible.

Now my question would be, what is the lowest CPU from a TB3 laptop that you could have that wouldn't throttle the 1080?

5 minutes ago, Name Taken said:

Thundebolt connection already bottlenecks the 1080.

Fair enough, same question then with a 1070 in mind? Thinking igpu and then getting one of these. Might also do as others have suggested and get a NUC but I would prefer the laptop since this will be for times when work sends me away for a longer period and then I don't have to find a display to go with it.

Anyone know if I would be able to use this with my Lenovo Y70-70 Touch?  I'm not very tech smart so I have no idea. Thank you in advance.

6 hours ago, lieder1987 said:

Now my question would be, what is the lowest CPU from a TB3 laptop that you could have that wouldn't throttle the 1080?

I'd say i5-7300.

4 hours ago, Nogr said:

According to egpu.io Buyers guide it should have same issues that Razor Core had on the Linus review or i'm wrong?

All eGPU setups will have that problem until we find a fast enough solution.  Currently, the best solution is the Alienware Graphics Amp, but it uses a proprietary connector which is a bit faster than TB3.  Only Alienware equipped machines can use it.

So why are these things not set to a horizontal setup, within the rectangular shape of the bottom of the laptop? Sure, you're risking higher noize, but if you're looking to shrink your workspace that much, throwing a box on the table seems to nullify that.

Or at least make it the size of a mouse pad, so to eliminate space waste.

On 12/13/2017 at 3:00 PM, lilbman said:

All eGPU setups will have that problem until we find a fast enough solution.  Currently, the best solution is the Alienware Graphics Amp, but it uses a proprietary connector which is a bit faster than TB3.  Only Alienware equipped machines can use it.

The AGA's connection is PCIe x4, same as TB3's x4 uplink. The reasons that the AGA performs better are the dedicated video signal return channel and it only does graphics communication.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

On 12/12/2017 at 2:49 AM, craftisabel said:

He said the box without the graphics card included would be 200 dollars alone.