Chrome 63 will use even more RAM to "protect" you

AlTech
4 hours ago, PianoPlayer88Key said:

My dad's laptop has 2 GB RAM... :o

-snip-

-snip-

(My dad's is on the right, mine's on the left in the 2 laptops pic.)

Holy crap stop using an XP system that's connected to the internet...

If you need tools that require XP, run them in a VM.

If you just need an OS that works, go linux. There are options that look and feel very similar to XP but is at least safer to use and supports the latest versions of software...

If you want my attention, quote meh! D: or just stick an @samcool55 in your post :3

Spying on everyone to fight against terrorism is like shooting a mosquito with a cannon

52 minutes ago, samcool55 said:

If you just need an OS that works, go linux. There are options that look and feel very similar to XP but is at least safer to use and supports the latest versions of software...

I know :/ it's his computer.  I keep trying to get him to replace it, but he's still hanging onto that laptop.  My mom complains that it's really slow, too.  This is even though we put an 850 Evo in it earlier this year.  And, my dad has also replaced the keyboard (then somethinf doesn't work on that, so now he's using the Logitech K200 from my desktop) and the battery.

He seems to have the habit of keeping things a long time.  If something breaks he'll fix it himself, and might not replace something until it dies.  Quite a few things he uses are older than probably most of us on the forum! :o

Considering that, I'd like him to get a computer that'll last him a long time and still be usable - both in speed and in the reasons why XP is NOT good to use today.  Something like what would be as good after 10+ years as an i7-920 + GTX 285 or i7-2600K + GTX 570 would be today for basic home / office / internet / media consumption use. Replacing individual parts along the way would be fine, as long as the motherboard and chassis lasts the entire time he keeps it.

2 minutes ago, PianoPlayer88Key said:

I know :/ it's his computer.  I keep trying to get him to replace it, but he's still hanging onto that laptop.  My mom complains that it's really slow, too.  This is even though we put an 850 Evo in it earlier this year.  And, my dad has also replaced the keyboard (then somethinf doesn't work on that, so now he's using the Logitech K200 from my desktop) and the battery.

He seems to have the habit of keeping things a long time.  If something breaks he'll fix it himself, and might not replace something until it dies.  Quite a few things he uses are older than probably most of us on the forum! :o

Considering that, I'd like him to get a computer that'll last him a long time and still be usable - both in speed and in the reasons why XP is NOT good to use today.  Something like what would be as good after 10+ years as an i7-920 + GTX 285 or i7-2600K + GTX 570 would be today for basic home / office / internet / media consumption use. Replacing individual parts along the way would be fine, as long as the motherboard and chassis lasts the entire time he keeps it.

I have a netbook with XP, offline and a normal HDD and that one is actually quite fast.

I also have like a really old pentium 4 system with 3GB ram, normal hdd, my old 5770 and linux mint, runs quite well!

Maybe you can create a live usb and let him try it out, maybe he likes it... It's at least worth trying :P

If you stick with linux something like an i7-920 will be more than plenty for years! That's a rocket compared to what i have, especialy with an SSD.

Just getting him away from XP would be the biggest win, regardless what system he ends up with tbh.

If you want my attention, quote meh! D: or just stick an @samcool55 in your post :3

Spying on everyone to fight against terrorism is like shooting a mosquito with a cannon

sigh More people complaining about how "ludicrously" Chrome uses RAM and here I am sitting with a dozen and a half tabs open just cresting 1.1GB...

4 hours ago, mynameisjuan said:

Dont throw off this click bait thread with your facts!!!

But on a serious note, who the fuck cares. If your PC still has 2 or 4 gigs then you are already having a terrible experience. On top of that most people here have 16gig and guarantee they are not using it all. If you are then congrats on the accomplishment, but showing us your 100+ tabs with 10 youtube vids and 5 twitch stream means jack shit, because you are totally watching them at the same time right? (by the way my reference to you is not directly to you!! :P)

eh 4GB for just dinking around the web is honestly pretty fine. My laptop only has 4GB and the only real issue is some tabs having to reload the contents if I have a shitload of them open.

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

5 hours ago, PianoPlayer88Key said:

My dad's laptop has 2 GB RAM... :o

59d18c8d06dd7_LTTforum2017-10-015pmb-daytheme2gbramc2dt7250.PNG.76524b8ca466ad0761bc41b4b2e910af.PNG

59d09c5f5b401_IMG_20170925_032929505_HDRcinebenchd830vsp750dm-g.thumb.jpg.f2fbc5c9f8af9d942e162ff4a0f51809.jpg

(My dad's is on the right, mine's on the left in the 2 laptops pic.)

I would not be sure what is the worse, that he is using Windows XP or the hardware xD I guess if it gets the job done then hey-ho, who is to mind :)

I once did the unthinkable, back many headphones ago...

I split an audio split, again

53 minutes ago, samcool55 said:

I have a netbook with XP, offline and a normal HDD and that one is actually quite fast.

I also have like a really old pentium 4 system with 3GB ram, normal hdd, my old 5770 and linux mint, runs quite well!

Maybe you can create a live usb and let him try it out, maybe he likes it... It's at least worth trying :P

If you stick with linux something like an i7-920 will be more than plenty for years! That's a rocket compared to what i have, especialy with an SSD.

Just getting him away from XP would be the biggest win, regardless what system he ends up with tbh.

My parents do use & prefer Microsoft Office (they're using Office 2007), so Linux wouldn't really work for them.  (That, and other reasons.)

I'd like to put Windows 10 on it, but I don't feel like paying $80-130 for a license for that laptop, and I don't want to get it from k****** or *2* or similar.  (Not doing 7 cause support ends in 2020 and frankly I wouldn't be surprised if he keeps it longer. :o although, he did tell me the other day he might replace it after he does his taxes next year and redoes the household budget.)

One thing I'm considering doing before I would put 10 on his laptop ... would be installing another copy of 10 on mine - in a VM set to similar performance as his laptop would be.  (Like 2 GB RAM, 2 cores, 25-35% execution cap to account for the IPC & frequency difference between the Core 2 Duo T7250 and the i7-6700K.  That way maybe I could get some idea of how it might perform on his laptop.

45 minutes ago, EnergyEclipse said:

I would not be sure what is the worse, that he is using Windows XP or the hardware xD I guess if it gets the job done then hey-ho, who is to mind :)

I find it amusing that my i7-6700K single-threaded stomps all over his Core 2 Duo T7250 multi-threaded, nearly double performance there. :o

Oh, and I'd say the hardware is worse.  I'd guess it might not support newer OS's.

I haven't yet found a graphics benchmark that I could run on both computers to compare his Intel 965 Graphics Media Accelerator to my Nvidia GTX 970M.  I don't think recent 3DMark support 32-bit Windows, and I think older ones still require admin access to install.  (I DO know that FireStrike and Time Spy would absolutely NOT run on his laptop! :P)

I wonder what ~$250-300 CPU he'd have to get, to be as big of a performance jump over his C2D as my desktop's GPU (GTX 1060 3GB) is over his laptop GPU... (And if not yet because said CPU doesn't yet exist, then replace GTX 1060 with whatever ~$250 GPU is available then. :P)  I'm not so sure the Ryzen 7 1700 or i7-8700 would be quite that big of a jump. :/

1 hour ago, PianoPlayer88Key said:

My parents do use & prefer Microsoft Office (they're using Office 2007), so Linux wouldn't really work for them.  (That, and other reasons.)

You could run Office through Wine (Link), though that might not fix other reasons that Linux wouldn't work for them :P

10 hours ago, potoooooooo said:

I can't even stream twitch at above 480p without stuttering on chrome on my high end gaming PC. If i try and run a gif at the same time, only one of them works.

Switched to firefox full time, not looking back.

Inb4 "what about edge?" i've tried edge. Better than chrome, not as good as FF.

most likely not chromed fault. I'm using a fx4350 and a gtx 780 and can watch multiple videos at once no problem.

26 minutes ago, mawv said:

most likely not chromed fault. I'm using a fx4350 and a gtx 780 and can watch multiple videos at once no problem.

It's is 100% chrome's fault. That's the only browser it happens in.

3 minutes ago, potoooooooo said:

It's is 100% chrome's fault. That's the only browser it happens in.

I fail to see how completly disregarding my anecdote makes chrome the issue in all cases. Maybe it's a bad install or some interfering program. Saying without any evidence that chrome can't perform on a high end system despite evidence to the contrary just makes you look foolish.

My understanding was that this is a new option aimed at businesses, so for the average user, if you don't want this, you don't have to turn it on.

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

I have 6 tabs open in two different windows. 1 tab is Facebook, 2 are LTT, 2 are youtube, and the 6th is firefoxes homepage. 

It is currently using 0.75 GB. I don't see what the problem is?

ENCRYPTION IS NOT A CRIME

3 hours ago, AluminiumTech said:

Use Tab Containers?

I've just done some reading about it - is it me or is it purely color-coded tabs? You can't actually have folders/groups to put tabs inside of...?

That or I just can't figure it out.

“I like being alone. I have control over my own shit. Therefore, in order to win me over, your presence has to feel better than my solitude. You're not competing with another person, you are competing with my comfort zones.”  - portfolio - twitter - instagram - youtube

2 Tabs, 11 Processes (wtf?) and nearly 700MB or RAM.

Not exactly killing my PC here... but I'm more worried about what those extra 9 processes are (though I assume one is ABP).

CPU - Ryzen 7 3700X | RAM - 64 GB DDR4 3200MHz | GPU - Nvidia GTX 1660 ti | MOBO -  MSI B550 Gaming Plus

Just when I thought Chrome using even more RAM wasn't possible...

11 hours ago, Trik'Stari said:

I have 32gb of RAM.

Come at me chrome.

You know you could sell it right now, live with 16 for a little while and once prices come down and you rebuy still come away with like 80 bucks profits.

More if you put those 200 bucks towards bitcoin and manage to get out high.

EDIT: On topic: this shit is expensive Google, not amused. I might just have to continue using the new firefox that was supposed to be a test run but it has replaced Chrome as my daily driver right now.

-------

Current Rig

-------

6 minutes ago, Misanthrope said:

You know you could sell it right now, live with 16 for a little while and once prices come down and you rebuy still come away with like 80 bucks profits.

More if you put those 200 bucks towards bitcoin and manage to get out high.

As crazy as that seems, you're right xD The price is so high now you really could make a profit I bet...

6 minutes ago, Misanthrope said:

EDIT: On topic: this shit is expensive Google, not amused. I might just have to continue using the new firefox that was supposed to be a test run but it has replaced Chrome as my daily driver right now.

As for this...

2 hours ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

My understanding was that this is a new option aimed at businesses, so for the average user, if you don't want this, you don't have to turn it on.

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

6 hours ago, samcool55 said:

lol. I have 2 xp systems on the internet and me grandpa uses it on his as well Yes it can be insecure but if you lock it down and run a good av then its usually fine.

Use this guide to fix text problems in your postGo here and here for all your power supply needs

New Build Currently Under Construction! See here!!!! -----> 

Spoiler

Deathwatch:[CPU I7 4790K @ 4.5GHz][RAM TEAM VULCAN 16 GB 1600][MB ASRock Z97 Anniversary][GPU XFX Radeon RX 480 8GB][STORAGE 250GB SAMSUNG EVO SSD Samsung 2TB HDD 2TB WD External Drive][COOLER Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo][PSU Cooler Master 650M][Case Thermaltake Core V31]

Spoiler

Cupid:[CPU Core 2 Duo E8600 3.33GHz][RAM 3 GB DDR2][750GB Samsung 2.5" HDD/HDD Seagate 80GB SATA/Samsung 80GB IDE/WD 325GB IDE][MB Acer M1641][CASE Antec][[PSU Altec 425 Watt][GPU Radeon HD 4890 1GB][TP-Link 54MBps Wireless Card]

Spoiler

Carlile: [CPU 2x Pentium 3 1.4GHz][MB ASUS TR-DLS][RAM 2x 512MB DDR ECC Registered][GPU Nvidia TNT2 Pro][PSU Enermax][HDD 1 IDE 160GB, 4 SCSI 70GB][RAID CARD Dell Perc 3]

Spoiler

Zeonnight [CPU AMD Athlon x2 4400][GPU Sapphire Radeon 4650 1GB][RAM 2GB DDR2]

Spoiler

Server [CPU 2x Xeon L5630][PSU Dell Poweredge 850w][HDD 1 SATA 160GB, 3 SAS 146GB][RAID CARD Dell Perc 6i]

Spoiler

Kero [CPU Pentium 1 133Mhz] [GPU Cirrus Logic LCD 1MB Graphics Controller] [Ram 48MB ][HDD 1.4GB Hitachi IDE]

Spoiler

Mining Rig: [CPU Athlon 64 X2 4400+][GPUS 9 RX 560s, 2 RX 570][HDD 160GB something][RAM 8GBs DDR3][PSUs 1 Thermaltake 700w, 2 Delta 900w 120v Server modded]

RAINBOWS!!!

QUOTE ME SO I CAN SEE YOUR REPLYS!!!!

10 hours ago, gabrielcarvfer said:

Jesus, 2 gigs just for a Drive tab :0

That one actually does have a few other things grouped in the same process.  (The task manager window is obscuring what they are though.)

I have had individual tabs take 2 or more GB RAM though. :o  about:blank is grouped in the screenshot below, but I'd think it shouldn't take much.  The multiple examples of session buddy are because I have it open in multiple windows.  (I use it not only to save sessions for later, but also to aid in navigation when I wanna switch to another window and am forgetting which window a particular tab was in.)  (And if you look closely, you can see my CPU AND RAM being nearly pinned to 100% in Task Manager, although the exact numbers are hidden.)

599ca4d1f2275_2017-06-201221-twitchtab2_3GB.thumb.png.c7e2fba2cfc657f3ea09e64234a0eb28.png

Don't have any tabs running that high right now, though, closest is "GPU Process" at 1.9 GB, then "Browser" at 960 MB, then a group of several tabs including LTT, Youtube, Twitch Chat & blank at 760 MB (and as I was typing it, my Twitch 5 extension (grouped with "Too Many Tabs For Chrome" extension) with probably 40 or more Twitch tabs grouped in it leapfrogged it, with about 815 MB.  The 2 were leapfrogging each other actually.

33 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

As for this...

Well I guess that's good for now, but I'm not convinced this won't be eventually turned into "opt-out" or "Yeah you need this, stfu" in the future. We'll see.

-------

Current Rig

-------

1 minute ago, Misanthrope said:

Well I guess that's good for now, but I'm not convinced this won't be eventually turned into "opt-out" or "Yeah you need this, stfu" in the future. We'll see.

Could be.  I would bet Google will be looking at their analytics closely and if they see that this method has actually helped, they may force it on everyone in the name of security.

Didn't Chrome just minimize their RAM usage sometime this year? Updated the javascript or something and it was more efficient... Now this (at least it's optional for the time being though...)

I guess the Chrome/RAM jokes will never end.

4 hours ago, 8uhbbhu8 said:

lol. I have 2 xp systems on the internet and me grandpa uses it on his as well Yes it can be insecure but if you lock it down and run a good av then its usually fine.

XP >> Windows 10. For real tbh. Going a bit off topic I know :P.