Chrome 63 will use even more RAM to "protect" you

AlTech

Are you tired of Chrome using too much RAM? Well I have bad news for you. That's not going away anytime soon.

In Chrome 63, Google plans to add Site Isolation features which will use more RAM than the current version.

The first of these is site isolation, an even stricter version of the multiple process model that Chrome has used since its introduction. Chrome uses multiple processes for several security and stability reasons. On the stability front, the model means that even if a single tab crashes, other tabs (and the browser itself) are unaffected. On the security front, the use of multiple processes makes it much harder for malicious code from one site to steal secrets (such as passwords typed into forms) of another.

Chrome's default model is, approximately, to use one process per tab. This more or less ensures that unrelated sites are kept in separate processes, but there are nuances to this set-up. Pages share a process if they are related through, for example, one opening another with JavaScript or iframes embedding (wherein one page is included as content within another page). Over the course of a single browsing session, one tab may be used to visit multiple different domains; they'll all potentially be opened within a single process. On top of this, if there are already too many Chrome processes running, Chrome will start opening new pages within existing processes, resulting in even unrelated pages sharing a process.

Chrome 63 introduces a new mode called "Site Isolation." In Site Isolation mode, this sharing is eliminated and the browser applies a much stricter policy to ensure that individual sites remain in separate processes. Even pages that were formerly "related" (and hence eligible for a shared process) will be separated, and a long browsing session within a tab that spans several different sites will get a new process each time a new domain is visited. The process sharing due to having a large number of processes is also disabled with this mode.

Google has had to update Chrome to enable this mode. One of the reasons that sharing was used initially is that some pages are allowed to communicate with one another, using certain JavaScript mechanisms. Originally, these mechanisms only worked when the different pages used the same process. In Chrome 63, that communication can cross between processes. Similarly, embedded iframes can use a different process for the parent than for the child.

Naturally, this greater use of multiple processes incurs a price; with this option enabled, Chrome's already high memory usage can go up by another 10 to 20 percent.

So yeah, gotta love the competition in the browser space. I'm pretty sure FF57 woke Google up.

Source:

https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2017/12/chrome-63-offers-even-more-protection-from-malicious-sites-using-even-more-memory/

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

And people made fun of me for using Firefox, who's laughing now? FF57 p3wns Chrome more than ever and seems Mozilla's getting some decent breathing room now that Google has decided to stick to its high resources usage.... feels its like Ubisoft's of browsers... optimization be damned!

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

I dunno what you all are doing, but I've not personally had any ram related problems with Chrome. Right now I have 9 tabs open and it is using less than 1GB.

Main system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, Corsair Vengeance Pro 3200 3x 16GB 2R, RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

3 minutes ago, porina said:

I dunno what you all are doing, but I've not personally had any ram related problems with Chrome. Right now I have 9 tabs open and it is using less than 1GB.

I've manage to use like 3-4 GB, but that's with 40 tabs open. I really wouldn't call that a problem.

The ability to google properly is a skill of its own. 

I can't even stream twitch at above 480p without stuttering on chrome on my high end gaming PC. If i try and run a gif at the same time, only one of them works.

Switched to firefox full time, not looking back.

Inb4 "what about edge?" i've tried edge. Better than chrome, not as good as FF.

2 minutes ago, potoooooooo said:

I can't even stream twitch at above 480p without stuttering on chrome on my high end gaming PC. If i try and run a gif at the same time, only one of them works.

Switched to firefox full time, not looking back.

Inb4 "what about edge?" i've tried edge. Better than chrome, not as good as FF.

try opera and you'll see

ehh im sticking with chrome, the google intergration is really nice and i dont feel like moveing 80 or so tabs manually to another browser lol

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

If you have to worry about browser memory usage, I think you have more to worry about.

[Out-of-date] Want to learn how to make your own custom Windows 10 image?

Desktop: AMD R9 3900X | ASUS ROG Strix X570-F | Radeon RX 5700 XT | EVGA GTX 1080 SC | 32GB Trident Z Neo 3600MHz | 1TB 970 EVO | 256GB 840 EVO | 960GB Corsair Force LE | EVGA G2 850W | Phanteks P400S

Laptop: Intel M-5Y10c | Intel HD Graphics | 8GB RAM | 250GB Micron SSD | Asus UX305FA

Server 01: Intel Xeon D 1541 | ASRock Rack D1541D4I-2L2T | 32GB Hynix ECC DDR4 | 4x8TB Western Digital HDDs | 32TB Raw 16TB Usable

Server 02: Intel i7 7700K | Gigabye Z170N Gaming5 | 16GB Trident Z 3200MHz

I am on Chrome 64 for a while now, is that a thing with that version also?

I deleted chrome after it started to attempting to monitor my internet traffic on other browsers, frankly I have no interest in using the pos ever again especially if its going to attempt to block sites adblockers and track me to the degree it has.

https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/631048-psu-tier-list-updated/ Tier Breakdown (My understanding)--1 Godly, 2 Great, 3 Good, 4 Average, 5 Meh, 6 Bad, 7 Awful

Well good to see more changes at least in browser space. 

Anyway, I use Opera and I managed to have 200 tabs open (yes I knew what each tab is or was) for various work etc. I use it like a session for each relaunch. Don't always have so many though. It's rare but still I have dozen tabs mostly. Also I would keep it open along many other programs an and could also game with no issues while watching a stream. All with 16GB RAM though. 

Just hearing still such memory problems with Chrome with less tabs seems so odd. 

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

6 minutes ago, huilun02 said:

Vivaldi

Meh

Safari, Edge, or FF57

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

But ... I'd need Chrome to use LESS RAM!! :o 

59cf4afe3c7a0_laptopusing39p7gbram-2017-09-291644.thumb.png.cee1311ccceaa5e1ef7b41dddeb0dfd5.png

Or, maybe I should use FireFox? (I do have 57 installed.)  One big reason I haven't been using it recently is cause in the past, tabs weren't sandboxed like in Chrome.  So one tab crashes (or you kill it) and it takes the entire browser down. >:(  Whereas in Chrome, at least in theory, you kill one tab, and it should kill just that tab.  In practice, it does group a few tabs together - often ones you right click, open in new tab, and then sometimes a few get shuffled around.  Just look at the Chrome task manager sometime...

3 minutes ago, huilun02 said:

I have an excess of RAM. Better power user features than unused memory.

As do I, but the sidebar is annoying (and worthless), performance outside of LTT is lack luster, and the "power user" features either are counterintuitive or implemented better in other browsers, most falling in the former.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

You left out the most important part of the article, thus making this thread extremely clickbait.

As such, it's not enabled by default; instead, it's intended for use by enterprise users that are particularly concerned about organizational security.

5800X3D / ASUS X570 Dark Hero / 32GB 3600mhz / EVGA RTX 3090ti FTW3 Ultra / Dell S3422DWG / Logitech G815 / Logitech G502 / Sennheiser HD 599

2021 Razer Blade 14 3070 / S23 Ultra

11 minutes ago, EnergyEclipse said:

Oh I feel the cries of those still with 2gb of RAM already D: May the PC gods be good to you this christmas

My dad's laptop has 2 GB RAM... :o

59d18c8d06dd7_LTTforum2017-10-015pmb-daytheme2gbramc2dt7250.PNG.76524b8ca466ad0761bc41b4b2e910af.PNG

59d09c5f5b401_IMG_20170925_032929505_HDRcinebenchd830vsp750dm-g.thumb.jpg.f2fbc5c9f8af9d942e162ff4a0f51809.jpg

(My dad's is on the right, mine's on the left in the 2 laptops pic.)

:facepalm:

Chrome, its not named that for its good looks.  :P 

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

3 hours ago, asus killer said:

memory-100742009-orig.jpg

maybe they got it wrong but didn't it use the least memory? 

https://www.pcworld.com/article/3213031/computers/best-web-browsers.html?page=2

Dont throw off this click bait thread with your facts!!!

But on a serious note, who the fuck cares. If your PC still has 2 or 4 gigs then you are already having a terrible experience. On top of that most people here have 16gig and guarantee they are not using it all. If you are then congrats on the accomplishment, but showing us your 100+ tabs with 10 youtube vids and 5 twitch stream means jack shit, because you are totally watching them at the same time right? (by the way my reference to you is not directly to you!! :P)

>meanwhile on a locked 56.6 version of Firefox because tab-groups are love, tab-groups are life.

“I like being alone. I have control over my own shit. Therefore, in order to win me over, your presence has to feel better than my solitude. You're not competing with another person, you are competing with my comfort zones.”  - portfolio - twitter - instagram - youtube

5 minutes ago, ElfenSky said:

>meanwhile on a locked 56.6 version of Firefox because tab-groups are love, tab-groups are life.

Use Tab Containers?

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

Wow @AluminiumTech, who pissed in your coffee today? You sure are trying to your hardest to post as many anti-Google news as possible today.

Google introducing an optional feature for Chrome (turned off by default) which will increase security? Better spin that to something negative!

Man, fuck Google for making a security-enhancing feature and making it optional (again, turned off by default) right?

Browsers seems to be one of these things where everyone has really strong opinions but next to no clue what they are even talking about. It's like listening to Playstation and Xbox fanboys talking about how much better one console is over the other. Next to no facts and instead just a bunch of anecdotal evidence and shit throwing.