Why do bar soaps still exist?

MyName13
3 minutes ago, Misanthrope said:

Actually even then we're just a bit out of the top 10 global economies at #15

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_GDP_(nominal)

Definitely - Mexico does have a decent economy, but standard of living, and average citizen wealth, is still low compared to Canada and USA.

Though perhaps that's changing for the better? I don't know - I've never been to Mexico :P (Closest I've got was Florida).

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

23 hours ago, dalekphalm said:

Are you talking about those small "micro beads"? Many companies and retailers are actually banning them, due to the environmental impact (they're so small that most filtering systems don't properly catch them).

Personally I've never used a body wash that had them.

Haha yeah. I used them, liked them, but that was when I thought they dissolved. I'd never use them knowing they don't degrade. Who thought that was a good idea? 

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

10 minutes ago, dizmo said:

Haha yeah. I used them, liked them, but that was when I thought they dissolved. I'd never use them knowing they don't degrade. Who thought that was a good idea? 

Some fool who was thinking about the "exfoliating" power, without the aftermath.

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

3 hours ago, Misanthrope said:

Actually even then we're just a bit out of the top 10 global economies at #15

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_GDP_(nominal)

Being in the top global economies doesn't really mean much unfortunately. The US was the world's largest economy (as measured in 2016 per your charts) at 18.6 trillion dollars, China is number three with a GDP of 11.2 trillion dollars. What we need to look at is GDP per capita to really judge standard of living. The US isn't even in the top 10 in that (it's number 11 with a GDP per capita of $57,436). China on the other hand is number 79 on that list with a GDP per capita of $15,399. Mexico is a little higher up the list from China at number 65 with a GDP per capita of $18,938. Granted I've never been to Mexico so maybe you can actually sustain yourself on that fairly well for all I know.

On topic: I grew up using Irish Spring and associated the soap residue with a feeling of "cleanliness", which I've seen several people here make reference to. It wasn't until I first used liquid soap however that I found out what true cleanliness actually felt like. When I bathe I want to feel like I've removed soils from my body, not caked more crud onto it xD

28 minutes ago, imreloadin said:

Being in the top global economies doesn't really mean much unfortunately. The US was the world's largest economy (as measured in 2016 per your charts) at 18.6 trillion dollars, China is number three with a GDP of 11.2 trillion dollars. What we need to look at is GDP per capita to really judge standard of living. The US isn't even in the top 10 in that (it's number 11 with a GDP per capita of $57,436). China on the other hand is number 79 on that list with a GDP per capita of $15,399. Mexico is a little higher up the list from China at number 65 with a GDP per capita of $18,938. Granted I've never been to Mexico so maybe you can actually sustain yourself on that fairly well for all I know.

I can but I won't deny there's profound income inequality. It's just certain marginalized areas though but Mexico has pretty gigantic cities, industry, etc. It's mostly not really as it's usually perceived, just very unequal but midclass people and up have it fairly good in standards of living.

-------

Current Rig

-------

Bar soap is extremely cheap to manufacture for a start, I can buy 5 bars of Australian made stuff at my local supermarket for under $2, which is probably the equivalent to 10 or more 750ML bottles of the liquid hand soap. It also is easy to transport, especially when travelling. Also it's probably what the majority of the world has access to, if they have access to soap.

Personally I use a liquid body wash atm, since I had to stop using bar soaps as they dried my skin out to the point i'd get severe drying & cracking of the skin on my hands, which I couldn't counter-act no matter what I tried. I already had some serious calloused hands from years of manual labour, so that wasn't helping things. I really need to try out the soap free washes, they are meant to be gentle on your skin & not dry it out like a lot of washes do.

Case: Ncase M1 V5 Black CPU: Intel Core i5 12600 MB: AORUS Z690i RAM: 16GB Kingston HyperX DDR4 SSD: WD SN770 500GB | WD SN750 250GB

Cooler: Noctua NH-L9x65 GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 XC3 Ultra 8GB PSU: Corsair SF600 80+ Platinum Fans: Noctua NF-F12x 2 | Noctua NF-A9x14

I switch between both.

Bars of soap are cheap. No need for sponge and the last quite awhile. 

Mobo: Z97 MSI Gaming 7 / CPU: i5-4690k@4.5GHz 1.23v / GPU: EVGA GTX 1070 / RAM: 8GB DDR3 1600MHz@CL9 1.5v / PSU: Corsair CX500M / Case: NZXT 410 / Monitor: 1080p IPS Acer R240HY bidx

On 12.11.2017 at 4:45 PM, AlwaysFSX said:

Bar soap lasts me longer and costs less so.. that might be why.

Also more environmentally friendly in production than liquid soaps, I've heard.

I deal in shitposts and shitpost accessories.

Because they are cheaper and last longer, i guess?

I still use them, liquid soap is way more expensive...

Project Diesel 5.0: Motherboard: ASRock Fatal1ty X370 Professional Gaming /// CPU: Ryzen 5 3600X  /// CPU Cooler: Scythe Ninja 5 /// GPU: Zotac AMP Extreme RTX 2070 /// RAM: 2x 16gb G.Skill Ripjaws V @3200mhz /// Chassis: Lian Li Lancool One Digital (black) /// PSU: Super Flower Leadex III 750w /// Storage: Inland Premium 1TB NVME + Toshiba X300 4TB

Peripherals: Mice: Cooler Master MM720 /// Keyboard: Corsair K70 MK2 SE (Cherry Silver), Blitzwolf BW-KB1 (Gateron Reds) /// Monitor: Acer XZ320Q 32' (VA, 1080p @240hz) /// AMP: Topping PA3 (Onkyo Integra A-817XD undergoing restoration) /// DAC: Weiliang SU5 /// Speakers: AAT BSF-100 /// Mike: Alctron CS35U /// Headphones: Blon B8, ISK MDH-9000

Living room: TV: Samsung QLED Q7FN 55' 4k /// Amplifier: Denon AVR-X2400H /// Speakers: DALI Zensor 7 /// Consoles: Sony PS4 Pro 1TB, Sony PS3 500gb /// LD/CD/DVD: Pioneer DVL-909 /// Power Supplies: Upsai ACF-2100T + GR Savage CDR2200EX

1 hour ago, Chevy_Monsenhor said:

Because they are cheaper and last longer, i guess?

I still use them, liquid soap is way more expensive...

Everyone keeps mentioning price, but if most manufacturers switched to liquid wouldn't their prices decrease?

9 minutes ago, MyName13 said:

Everyone keeps mentioning price, but if most manufacturers switched to liquid wouldn't their prices decrease?

To a degree - sure. But Liquid Soap is already mass produced by the Millions. I think whatever "economies of scale" that you could squeeze out, we're already getting.

Plus it's just inherently more expensive. Plastic for the packaging, taking up more transportation space, therefore increased cost to deliver, etc.

If liquid soap was a new invention, or wasn't very popular, you might have a point - but it's not.

We are literally discussing soap, lol

Project Diesel 5.0: Motherboard: ASRock Fatal1ty X370 Professional Gaming /// CPU: Ryzen 5 3600X  /// CPU Cooler: Scythe Ninja 5 /// GPU: Zotac AMP Extreme RTX 2070 /// RAM: 2x 16gb G.Skill Ripjaws V @3200mhz /// Chassis: Lian Li Lancool One Digital (black) /// PSU: Super Flower Leadex III 750w /// Storage: Inland Premium 1TB NVME + Toshiba X300 4TB

Peripherals: Mice: Cooler Master MM720 /// Keyboard: Corsair K70 MK2 SE (Cherry Silver), Blitzwolf BW-KB1 (Gateron Reds) /// Monitor: Acer XZ320Q 32' (VA, 1080p @240hz) /// AMP: Topping PA3 (Onkyo Integra A-817XD undergoing restoration) /// DAC: Weiliang SU5 /// Speakers: AAT BSF-100 /// Mike: Alctron CS35U /// Headphones: Blon B8, ISK MDH-9000

Living room: TV: Samsung QLED Q7FN 55' 4k /// Amplifier: Denon AVR-X2400H /// Speakers: DALI Zensor 7 /// Consoles: Sony PS4 Pro 1TB, Sony PS3 500gb /// LD/CD/DVD: Pioneer DVL-909 /// Power Supplies: Upsai ACF-2100T + GR Savage CDR2200EX

On 11/12/2017 at 11:46 AM, Crunchy Dragon said:

I was raised on bar soap actually. I prefer it to "gels" and similar things. I'm also pretty weird so...

i was also raised on bar soap but since being in college i switched because it is easier to store and by using a shampoo/body gel combo there is less stuff to carry around and worry about

Main Rig | Personal Build | Windows 10 | R7 2700x 3.7~4.3ghz | ASUS ROG Strix B450-I | 16gb DDR4 3200mhz | GTX 1080 FE | Coolermaster Elite 130 | Corsair H60 | WD Blue SN500 500GB NVMe SSD + 1tb WD Green HDD + 1tb WD Blue HDD

Laptop | HP m6-w102dx | Windows 10 | i7-5500u 2.4~3.0ghz | 8gb DDR3L | GT 930m 2gb| 120gb Sandisk SSD

Phone | Pixel 3 | Verizon | 64gb

19 hours ago, LinusTech said:

whaaaat? Dove plain unscented bar soap is the bomb

Wait, they sell Dove in Canada? 

زندگی از چراغ

Intel Core i7 7800X 6C/12T (4.5GHz), Corsair H150i Pro RGB (360mm), Asus Prime X299-A, Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (4X4GB & 2X8GB 3000MHz DDR4), MSI GeForce GTX 1070 Gaming X 8G (2.113GHz core & 9.104GHz memory), 1 Samsung 970 Evo Plus 1TB NVMe M.2, 1 Samsung 850 Pro 256GB SSD, 1 Samsung 850 Evo 500GB SSD, 1 WD Red 1TB mechanical drive, Corsair RM750X 80+ Gold fully modular PSU, Corsair Obsidian 750D full tower case, Corsair Glaive RGB mouse, Corsair K70 RGB MK.2 (Cherry MX Red) keyboard, Asus VN247HA (1920x1080 60Hz 16:9), Audio Technica ATH-M20x headphones & Windows 10 Home 64 bit. 

The time Linus replied to me on one of my threads: 

1 minute ago, chilicheeseburger said:

Because you can't drop liquid soap in the shower.

What happens when the bottle falls and all the soap comes out?

I prefer whatever is in my shower. Bar soap is good, liquid soap is good. I hate bar soap in the hair though...

QUOTE/TAG ME WHEN RESPONDING

Please Spend As Much Time Writing Your Question As You Want Me To Spend Responding To It. Take Time & Explain

New TOS RUINED the meme that used to be below :( 

I didn't even know body wash existed until I went over to a friend's house a few years ago. I don't really have a preference either way, to be honest. I hate the way bar soap slides around all over the place, though.

I mostly use Aveeno and Old Spice at the moment. I don't even use a sponge or anything...

As for hand soap...I'm never going back to a bar, though I do use it for my face.

Night Fury 2.0:

Spoiler

Intel Core i5-6500 / Cryorig H7 / Gigabyte GA-H170-D3H / Corsair Vengeance LPX 8GB DDR4 @ 2133MHz / EVGA GTX 1070 SC / Fractal Design Define R5 / Adata SP550 240GB / WD Blue 500GB / WD Blue 1TB / EVGA 750GQ 

Daily Drivers:

Spoiler

Google Pixel XL 128GB / Jaybird Bluebuds X3 / Logitech MX Master / Sennheiser HD 598 / 

21 hours ago, dalekphalm said:

Some people consider Mexico Third World, economically. I'm not sure I'd go that far, personally, but I digress.

I don't wanna be an asshole, but isn't Mexico Third World???

Night Fury 2.0:

Spoiler

Intel Core i5-6500 / Cryorig H7 / Gigabyte GA-H170-D3H / Corsair Vengeance LPX 8GB DDR4 @ 2133MHz / EVGA GTX 1070 SC / Fractal Design Define R5 / Adata SP550 240GB / WD Blue 500GB / WD Blue 1TB / EVGA 750GQ 

Daily Drivers:

Spoiler

Google Pixel XL 128GB / Jaybird Bluebuds X3 / Logitech MX Master / Sennheiser HD 598 / 

On 11/13/2017 at 5:03 AM, davrosG5 said:

Use both but still prefer a nice solid bar of soap.

Body wash seems terribly wasteful (and therefore expensive) in comparison plus it doesn't seem to work as well where I live (fairly hard water).

I also find that the bottles that body wash stuff comes in are terribly designed for actual use in a shower - it should be able to hang upside down, open, for the duration of the shower without dripping out until I squeeze out what I need. Haven't found anything that manages this (but I also haven't done extensive testing either so ho hum).

Same way.  Plus, my clay bar soap last a good long time.

My Mom and me found a body wash that setup like liquid hand soap with a pump to get the gel out.

2023 BOINC Pentathlon Event

F@H & BOINC Installation on Linux Guide

My CPU Army: 5800X, E5-2670V3, 1950X, 5960X J Batch, 10750H *lappy

My GPU Army:3080Ti, 960 FTW @ 1551MHz, RTX 2070 Max-Q *lappy

My Console Brigade: Gamecube, Wii, Wii U, Switch, PS2 Fatty, Xbox One S, Xbox One X

My Tablet Squad: iPad Air 5th Gen, Samsung Tab S, Nexus 7 (1st gen)

3D Printer Unit: Prusa MK3S, Prusa Mini, EPAX E10

VR Headset: Quest 2

Hardware lost to Kevdog's Law of Folding

OG Titan, 5960X, ThermalTake BlackWidow 850 Watt PSU