Caffeine: does it suck?

k.m.p

Caffeine: Does it suck?  

54 members have voted

1. 1. Caffeine: Does it suck?

• Just get some sleep
    • I live on it

9 minutes ago, BuckGup said:

About 14 cups of coffee is enough to kill you.

or drinking a certain amount of coffee within a few minutes... 

few days ago i drank my coffee by emptying the cup and a few minutes later i started to feel uncomfortable.... 

If it is not broken, let's fix till it is. 

1 hour ago, juretrn said:

I guess marijuana is fine then 9_99_99_9

I’ve done marijuana, heroin, cocaine, LSD, and plenty of others. Had a whole thing with opioids. None of them are fine, but coffee irks me because of how ingrained it is into daily life. Caffeine is not something I avoid because I think it will seriously fuck up my health, it’s something I avoid because I....guess I don’t want to be like everyone else? A drug hipster :P

Not really sure if it’s even rational, but the coffee “dependency” that literally everyone in my life has creeps me out.

7 minutes ago, Dredgy said:

I’ve done marijuana, heroin, cocaine, LSD, and plenty of others. Had a whole thing with opioids. None of them are fine, but coffee irks me because of how ingrained it is into daily life. Caffeine is not something I avoid because I think it will seriously fuck up my health, it’s something I avoid because I....guess I don’t want to be like everyone else? A drug hipster :P

Not really sure if it’s even rational, but the coffee “dependency” that literally everyone in my life has creeps me out.

Tell us then how do you feel about sugar addiction?

9 minutes ago, Nick Burns, Company IT Guy said:

Tell us then how do you feel about sugar addiction?

Also not a fan, and something I avoid as well. Most people I’m around are health nuts and actually don’t each much sugar, so it is pretty easy to moderate for me since I’m never under any pressure to have it. Half of my work involved making deals over coffee.

I live off of caffeine.  I usually have at least a cup of coffee and an energy drink a day.  

Currently focusing on my video game collection.

It doesn't matter what you play games on, just play good games you enjoy.

Give me 10 cups of coffee (or quite a lot of monster or redbull) and I'll still be able to sleep fine. Caffeine does not affect me at all :P

Its both a good and bad thing, I can drink one of my favourite drink (coffee, other favourite is Edinburgh tap water as it tastes great!) and still be able to sleep fine but if I feel tired, well caffeine won't help. 

Looking at my signature are we now? Well too bad there's nothing here...

What? As I said, there seriously is nothing here :) 

uuu coffee dosent really do much for me anymore, like i notice it if i have like 3 cups or so, but a snack does more for me, that dosent mean i dont drink coffee though because i love how it tastes :D I tend to drink tea more often than coffee, like REALLY REALLY dark Earl Grey thats been sitting with the leaves soaking for 20min or something, drink half a liter of that every morning instead of coffee because it feels like it does more for me.

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

I still essentially live on it, but not as much as it used to, and it still fluctuates daily. I used to work nights (well, like 5+ years ago) and got used to 2-3 energy drinks a night, and that had somewhat continued as I'd have 1-2 per day typically. Then the dreaded heart palpitations start and I'd stop for awhile; recently quit for just over 2 weeks of energy drinks, but had coffee here and there.

Coffee for me was a hugely acquired taste when I was younger, as trying it initially was horrible. Once I tried more kinds, and was introduced to cream and sugar, it made it a lot more palatable and enjoyable. 

All that being said, caffeine more so keeps me level if I start to feel tired, as opposed to really perking me up. I can drink coffee and still go to sleep with little issue. I find at times when I'm abstaining from energy drinks, that I might have to be wary of when I consume the energy drink before sleep, but otherwise I've had so much that it's not that effective.

Whether or not it has an effect on me depends. I can often feel more sleepy after energy drinks, but sometimes it steadies my hands. It makes me tweak every now and then. 

muh specs 

Gaming and HTPC (reparations)- ASUS 1080, MSI X99A SLI Plus, 5820k- 4.5GHz @ 1.25v, asetek based 360mm AIO, RM 1000x, 16GB memory, 750D with front USB 2.0 replaced with 3.0  ports, 2 250GB 850 EVOs in Raid 0 (why not, only has games on it), some hard drives

Screens- Acer preditor XB241H (1080p, 144Hz Gsync), LG 1080p ultrawide, (all mounted) directly wired to TV in other room

Stuff- k70 with reds, steel series rival, g13, full desk covering mouse mat

All parts black

Workstation(desk)- 3770k, 970 reference, 16GB of some crucial memory, a motherboard of some kind I don't remember, Micomsoft SC-512N1-L/DVI, CM Storm Trooper (It's got a handle, can you handle that?), 240mm Asetek based AIO, Crucial M550 256GB (upgrade soon), some hard drives, disc drives, and hot swap bays

Screens- 3  ASUS VN248H-P IPS 1080p screens mounted on a stand, some old tv on the wall above it. 

Stuff- Epicgear defiant (solderless swappable switches), g600, moutned mic and other stuff. 

Laptop docking area- 2 1440p korean monitors mounted, one AHVA matte, one samsung PLS gloss (very annoying, yes). Trashy Razer blackwidow chroma...I mean like the J key doesn't click anymore. I got a model M i use on it to, but its time for a new keyboard. Some edgy Utechsmart mouse similar to g600. Hooked to laptop dock for both of my dell precision laptops. (not only docking area)

Shelf- i7-2600 non-k (has vt-d), 380t, some ASUS sandy itx board, intel quad nic. Currently hosts shared files, setting up as pfsense box in VM. Also acts as spare gaming PC with a 580 or whatever someone brings. Hooked into laptop dock area via usb switch

I've managed to get myself off it and only drink coffee maybe once per month or less: Helps that I no longer commute so I actually can catch up on sleep if I feel like it: Before if I didn't get a good night of sleep in at 6 am it's get the fuck up and commute but now I can decide to snooze all the way till 9 am and just roll out of bed straight into starting tickets.

I also managed to live just fine without a car for the most part and I spend far less on food since I can always cook home as I need to. That's the main killer for students and workers it's the goddamn commute: I hope home office and internet-based courses become more and more common until they're the norm.

-------

Current Rig

-------

OP you should add a voting option for “neither”. 

Caffiene, like much of everything, is good in moderation. Sometimes getting extra sleep is simply not possible. In those cases, as long as they are rare, a healthy person consuming caffiene is totally fine. 

Coffee in general is fairly healthy for you, even daily, as long as you don’t have 20 cups per day, etc. 

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

23 minutes ago, dalekphalm said:

Caffiene, like much of everything, is good in moderation. Sometimes getting extra sleep is simply not possible. In those cases, as long as they are rare, a healthy person consuming caffiene is totally fine. 

Coffee in general is fairly healthy for you, even daily, as long as you don’t have 20 cups per day, etc. 

Fairly healthy if you don't overload it with syrups, sugar, cream, etc. :P

Even Tim Horton's standard double double is considered quite unhealthy isn't it?

Intel® Core™ i7-12700 | GIGABYTE B660 AORUS MASTER DDR4 | Gigabyte Radeon™ RX 6650 XT Gaming OC | 32GB Corsair Vengeance® RGB Pro SL DDR4 | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB | WD Green 1.5TB | Windows 11 Pro | NZXT H510 Flow White
Sony MDR-V250 | GNT-500 | Logitech G610 Orion Brown | Logitech G402 | Samsung C27JG5 | ASUS ProArt PA238QR
iPhone 12 Mini (iOS 17.2.1) | iPhone XR (iOS 17.2.1) | iPad Mini (iOS 9.3.5) | KZ AZ09 Pro x KZ ZSN Pro X | Sennheiser HD450bt
Intel® Core™ i7-1265U | Kioxia KBG50ZNV512G | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Enterprise | HP EliteBook 650 G9
Intel® Core™ i5-8520U | WD Blue M.2 250GB | 1TB Seagate FireCuda | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Home | ASUS Vivobook 15 
Intel® Core™ i7-3520M | GT 630M | 16 GB Corsair Vengeance® DDR3 |
Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | macOS Catalina | Lenovo IdeaPad P580

1 hour ago, dalekphalm said:

Your right, like I said previously, I should have had a third option

1 hour ago, BlueChinchillaEatingDorito said:

Even Tim Horton's standard double double is considered quite unhealthy isn't it?

As far as I know, caffeine is healthy in small amounts and occasionally, but then again its also true that the positive effects associated with it i.e. staying awake for longer, higher alertness e.c.t are most noticed by people who consume it the least, i.e someone who only has a coffee once a week or less (me), will notice being far more awake and being able to concentrate better far more than someone who has a cup every morning, for which it has no effect.

Interesting, the poll has gone from a roughly 70/30 split to a 60/40 split

Edited by k.m.p
incomplete

1 minute ago, k.m.p said:

Your right, like I said previously, I should have had a third option

As far as I know, caffeine is healthy in small amounts and occasionally, but then again its also true that the positive effects associated with it i.e. staying awake for longer, higher alertness e.c.t are most noticed by people who consume it the least, i.e someone who only has a coffee once a week or less (me), will notice being far more awake and being able to concentrate better far more than someone who has a cup every morning, for which it has no effect.

It's funny because it does keep me awake longer when I'm working. But I can still sleep no problem after a cup of coffee. What I was referring to was in terms of sugar, fat, and calorie count. 

Intel® Core™ i7-12700 | GIGABYTE B660 AORUS MASTER DDR4 | Gigabyte Radeon™ RX 6650 XT Gaming OC | 32GB Corsair Vengeance® RGB Pro SL DDR4 | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB | WD Green 1.5TB | Windows 11 Pro | NZXT H510 Flow White
Sony MDR-V250 | GNT-500 | Logitech G610 Orion Brown | Logitech G402 | Samsung C27JG5 | ASUS ProArt PA238QR
iPhone 12 Mini (iOS 17.2.1) | iPhone XR (iOS 17.2.1) | iPad Mini (iOS 9.3.5) | KZ AZ09 Pro x KZ ZSN Pro X | Sennheiser HD450bt
Intel® Core™ i7-1265U | Kioxia KBG50ZNV512G | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Enterprise | HP EliteBook 650 G9
Intel® Core™ i5-8520U | WD Blue M.2 250GB | 1TB Seagate FireCuda | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Home | ASUS Vivobook 15 
Intel® Core™ i7-3520M | GT 630M | 16 GB Corsair Vengeance® DDR3 |
Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | macOS Catalina | Lenovo IdeaPad P580

2 hours ago, BlueChinchillaEatingDorito said:

Lol well a celery stick is healthy too until you slather it in Nutella. 

Just because people add unhealthy things to a healthy beverage doesn’t make the beverage itself bad ?

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

Anything sucks after you get addicted to it 

3 hours ago, chilicheeseburger said:

I'll drink about 4-5 cups of coffee on an average day but I don't really notice the effects. It's also not like I notice anything if don't drink any coffee. It's just a hot beverage to me.

That’s exactly how I am with caffeine 

ill drink a pop right before bed and my gf will be like now your going to be up another hour. It’s weord because I’ve never felt the effects of caffeine so it’s weird to me how people can’t sleep after having it 

but in retrospect I’m the weird one because it doesn’t affect me 

If you want to argue with me, and you probably will please PM me, no need to ruin threads becase you dont like how I am.

Ask me how I made 100k selling illegal narcotics!

Spoiler

and you think im joking, Did a lot of wrong to get my money right.

I look up to Larry Hoover.

Your homies loyal 'til the one time you tell 'em no

4 minutes ago, Clockwork_princess said:

ill drink a pop right before bed and my gf will be like now your going to be up another hour. It’s weord because I’ve never felt the effects of caffeine so it’s weird to me how people can’t sleep after having it 

I think the only reason I don't drink shit before bed is I don't wanna get up to piss. When I drink a ton of pop I have the strong urge to drink an equal amount of water to feel normal, and that leads to a lot of liquid. 

muh specs 

Gaming and HTPC (reparations)- ASUS 1080, MSI X99A SLI Plus, 5820k- 4.5GHz @ 1.25v, asetek based 360mm AIO, RM 1000x, 16GB memory, 750D with front USB 2.0 replaced with 3.0  ports, 2 250GB 850 EVOs in Raid 0 (why not, only has games on it), some hard drives

Screens- Acer preditor XB241H (1080p, 144Hz Gsync), LG 1080p ultrawide, (all mounted) directly wired to TV in other room

All parts black

Workstation(desk)- 3770k, 970 reference, 16GB of some crucial memory, a motherboard of some kind I don't remember, Micomsoft SC-512N1-L/DVI, CM Storm Trooper (It's got a handle, can you handle that?), 240mm Asetek based AIO, Crucial M550 256GB (upgrade soon), some hard drives, disc drives, and hot swap bays

Screens- 3  ASUS VN248H-P IPS 1080p screens mounted on a stand, some old tv on the wall above it. 

Stuff- Epicgear defiant (solderless swappable switches), g600, moutned mic and other stuff. 

Laptop docking area- 2 1440p korean monitors mounted, one AHVA matte, one samsung PLS gloss (very annoying, yes). Trashy Razer blackwidow chroma...I mean like the J key doesn't click anymore. I got a model M i use on it to, but its time for a new keyboard. Some edgy Utechsmart mouse similar to g600. Hooked to laptop dock for both of my dell precision laptops. (not only docking area)

Shelf- i7-2600 non-k (has vt-d), 380t, some ASUS sandy itx board, intel quad nic. Currently hosts shared files, setting up as pfsense box in VM. Also acts as spare gaming PC with a 580 or whatever someone brings. Hooked into laptop dock area via usb switch

4 minutes ago, Clockwork_princess said:

Do energy drinks do anything for you? I feel some slight effect if I drink like two cans of Monster but I don't really tend to drink any of that stuff anymore. 

4 minutes ago, chilicheeseburger said:

Do energy drinks do anything for you? I feel some slight effect if I drink like two cans of Monster but I don't really tend to drink any of that stuff anymore. 

well idk bout him but for me it depends. I don't think it's the caffeine. 5 hr energies can make me nuts- not hyper, short tempered. Anything with the red dye that Pepsi uses, like red kickstart or mtn dew, kills me. Keeps me up and if I drink even just a little a day like a third can for a few days itll start giving me incredible pain in my stomach. This only started happening recently. 

muh specs 

All parts black

11 hours ago, TetraSky said:

I can't handle hot liquids like coffee and if I'm going to be drinking iced coffee, I may as well drink something that actually taste good and isn't an "acquired taste". (Seriously, for someone who doesn't drink coffee, it doesn't taste good, at all)

I drink water 99% of the time, sometimes caffeinated soda(coca cola/pepsi/whatever else), which contain a lot less caffeine than a coffee cup.

I have no trouble sleeping or playing games.

I've always liked the taste

I'm 13 and I drink coffee almost every day.

3 minutes ago, Syntaxvgm said:

well idk bout him but for me it depends. I don't think it's the caffeine. 5 hr energies can make me nuts- not hyper, short tempered. Anything with the red dye that Pepsi uses, like red kickstart or mtn dew, kills me. Keeps me up and if I drink even just a little a day like a third can for a few days itll start giving me incredible pain in my stomach. This only started happening recently. 

Studies are starting to show quite conclusively that energy drinks with caffeine are more dangerous that naturally occurring caffeine in coffee.  Normally I don't buy into the naturally occurring is better (because a substance is usually a substance artificial or not) but with energy drinks there is obviously something else they put in them that makes it different.

The older you get the more caffeine effects you.  As a kid up to about 28 I had no issues with either energy drinks or coffee in copious amounts. Now I am 42  2 coffees set me off and an energy drink is just dangerous, no sleep, over stimulated and heart palpitations. 

https://www.escardio.org/The-ESC/Press-Office/Press-releases/higher-coffee-consumption-associated-with-lower-risk-of-death

https://www.nbcnews.com/health/health-news/energy-drinks-worse-your-heart-caffeine-alone-study-n751686

https://newsnetwork.mayoclinic.org/discussion/mayo-clinic-study-one-energy-drink-may-increase-heart-disease-risk-in-young-adults/

TL:DR

enjoy coffee if that's you r thing, avoid energy drinks if you want to live to average life expectancy.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

i personally love coffee but not for the caffine of it but for the taste. just gotta find the right roasts I personally find that Black Riffle Coffee has some of the best roast that taste great but don't have the extreme bitter after taste to it. at the same time i love teas more for a stomach settler after dinner.

But for me the energy effects of caffine I dont feel it like most people. For me it is actually a calming and relaxing effect. this could be due to the fact that i have lived with ADHD for most of my life but have been able to use it to my advantage. The most common way of treating ADHD is adderal or in my case it was dextroamphetamine which both of these are stimulates much like caffine.  They work by increasing the amounts of the hormones called dopamine and norepinephrine in the brain which in turn helps with conceration.

1 hour ago, chilicheeseburger said:

i've drank a whole bottle of redline (not knowing your only supposed to do half) and it had no effects on me  

If you want to argue with me, and you probably will please PM me, no need to ruin threads becase you dont like how I am.

Ask me how I made 100k selling illegal narcotics!

Spoiler

and you think im joking, Did a lot of wrong to get my money right.

I look up to Larry Hoover.

Your homies loyal 'til the one time you tell 'em no