windows 10 update every fkn week. jeez so annoying.

liquidmagma

windows 10 has an update what seems like efery fkn week. are they just some bullshit fixes or what. why arent they at least every month or two?

Biweekly Patch Tuesday my friend. Been happening since Windows XP days.

• CPU
    Intel Core i7-7820X @ 4.2GHz
  • Motherboard
    Asus Prime X299 Deluxe
  • RAM
    32GB G.Skill TridentZ RGB DDR4
  • GPU
    GTX 1080Ti FE
  • Case
    Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ATX
  • Storage
    500GB 960 Pro SSD, 240GB PNY SATA SSD, 3TB WD Red NAS
  • PSU
    Corsair RMx Series, RM850x
  • Display(s)
    3x 1080p Garbage
  • Cooling
    Fully Custom EK :D
  • Keyboard
    Razer BlackWidow Chroma "Clicky"
  • Mouse
    Razer Super Mega Black Mamba of Death 9000DPI
  • Sound
    Logitech Something with a broken bass adjustment knob so it's always rupturing spleens
  • Operating System
    NSA-Approved version of Windows 10 Pro

Just now, BWLServers said:

Biweekly Patch Tuesday my friend. Been happening since Windows XP days.

useless and stupid waste of time.

In all honesty, there's absolutely nothing stupid or time wasting about them. They're security updates.

Not quite sure why you're upset about it. Windows 10 has by far the most unintrusive updates I've ever encountered.

• CPU
  • Motherboard
    Asus Prime X299 Deluxe
  • RAM
  • GPU
    GTX 1080Ti FE
  • Case
  • Storage
  • PSU
  • Display(s)
    3x 1080p Garbage
  • Cooling
  • Keyboard
  • Mouse
  • Sound
    Logitech Something with a broken bass adjustment knob so it's always rupturing spleens
  • Operating System

Just now, BWLServers said:

In all honesty, there's absolutely nothing stupid or time wasting about them. They're security updates.

well at least there should be an option to make updates a monthly or at least two week thing

Just now, liquidmagma said:

well at least there should be an option to make updates a monthly or at least two week thing

In theory you can completely ignore them if you want. The PC will restart itself and do maintenance and updates around 3AM.

• CPU
  • Motherboard
    Asus Prime X299 Deluxe
  • RAM
  • GPU
    GTX 1080Ti FE
  • Case
  • Storage
  • PSU
  • Display(s)
    3x 1080p Garbage
  • Cooling
  • Keyboard
  • Mouse
  • Sound
  • Operating System

2 minutes ago, BWLServers said:

Not quite sure why you're upset about it. Windows 10 has by far the most unintrusive updates I've ever encountered.

this is my problem but i always have many tabs open. 1/3 to 2/3 mostly youtube videos. so after update open chrome. open closed tab to get the tabs back and then manually click on every youtube video and pause it.

2 minutes ago, liquidmagma said:

you can... to an extent. But these are patches to keep hackers and viruses out of the system. who wouldn't want them?

desktop

Spoiler

r5 3600,3450@0.9v (0.875v get) 4.2ghz@1.25v (1.212 get) | custom loop cpu&gpu 1260mm nexxos xt45 | MSI b450i gaming ac | crucial ballistix 2x8 3000c15->3733c15@1.39v(1.376v get) |Zotac 2060 amp | 256GB Samsung 950 pro nvme | 1TB Adata su800 | 4TB HGST drive | Silverstone SX500-LG

HTPC

Spoiler

HTPC i3 7300 | Gigabyte GA-B250M-DS3H | 16GB G Skill | Adata XPG SX8000 128GB M.2 | Many HDDs | Rosewill FBM-01 | Corsair CXM 450W

this is my problem but i always have many tabs open. 1/3 to 2/3 mostly youtube videos. so after update open chrome. open closed tab to get the tabs back and then manually click on every youtube video and pause it.

this means im lazy

this means im lazy

Lol. I hear you there. I mean, sure it'd be nice to not have them. But not much you can do short of turning them off (I can't really advise that)

• CPU
  • Motherboard
    Asus Prime X299 Deluxe
  • RAM
  • GPU
    GTX 1080Ti FE
  • Case
  • Storage
  • PSU
  • Display(s)
    3x 1080p Garbage
  • Cooling
  • Keyboard
  • Mouse
  • Sound
  • Operating System

1 hour ago, Cyracus said:

you can... to an extent. But these are patches to keep hackers and viruses out of the system. who wouldn't want them?

every day set restart to 00:00 tomorrow. annoying.

theres nothing to stop you from doing that. its basically like when winrar pleads that i buy the full version. and thats annoying

16 minutes ago, liquidmagma said:

You're not the only one I've seen do that and I do not understand why.  Don't open more things than your'e going to watch at once.  If you are interrupted, save them to "watch later" and close them.  Leaving dozens of video tabs open that auto-launch every time it starts is not an intelligent way to manage things.

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

1 hour ago, liquidmagma said:

So... set Chrome to open your last tab that were open. You continue where you left off, basically every time you start Chrome.

Or, use bookmarks. Or see if there an extension to save a set a open tabs, like what Edge can do.

Just now, GoodBytes said:

So... set Chrome to open your last tab that were open. You continue where you left off, basically every time you start Chrome.

what if i have multiple tabs open and want them to all go. then when i open chrome they come back. not what i wanted. thats why i dont use that option.

Turn off automatic updating or set a schedule manually that works best for you. I doubt you are on your PC 24/7, 7 days a week.

1 minute ago, NinJake said:

Turn off automatic updating or set a schedule manually that works best for you. I doubt you are on your PC 24/7, 7 days a week.

pretty close to that tbh

Windows Update in Windows 10 is simply unmanageable, highly interfering, and a risk to work that's being done on the PC. The method I use to resolve all the negatives that Windows 10 Windows Update is responsible for is to disable the Windows Update service. Then, Windows Update doesn't search for, download, or install any update. It's simply turned off, and the PC then finally behaves like a normal PC.

To do that, in the search menu start, type Services, and open it. In the Services window, scroll down to Windows Update, double-click it to open the properties windows for Windows Update, and then click the Startup Type box and choose Disabled. Then click OK to confirm and close the Windows Update properties window.

Whenever you want to dedicate a few minutes to installing any new Windows 10 updates, just open Services again, open the Windows Update properties window again, and change the Startup Type back to Automatic, and click OK. Then just run Windows Update and search for and install any updates, and then re-disable the Windows Update service. That's the only rational way to Windows Update in Windows 10, I think.

14 hours ago, BWLServers said:

Wut? How do you qualify that statement? Windows XP, Vista, 7, and 8(.1) all have the same system, but with the option to choose not to download or install updates automatically. And those Windows OSes won't

Windows 10 has update cloud-sharing, has forced updates, has automatic installation and restarting, has restrictive usage hours...Windows 10 literally has the most intrusive update system of any Windows OS. Android also has a less intrusive update system. I don't use Apple computers, so I don't know, but I would bet that they also have a less intrusive update system.

You own the software that you purchase - Understanding software licenses and EULAs

"We’ll know our disinformation program is complete when everything the american public believes is false" - William Casey, CIA Director 1981-1987

This is why I didn't bother with Win10 (I did Beta/EarlyInsider Programs)

It's STILL a BETA - Time and time again Microsoft prove the point...

You may not agree, but Updates break so many things for COUNTLESS users, why bother...

Just use 8.1, Dualboot WinX (Custom Disable Everything) for DX12

Why disable WinX features on a daily driver machine...like the security and background annoyances... then it's less secure and you shouldn't be using it anyway.

WinX is a farcry way worse from the Windows of the past..... updates alone.... bar the rest...

Maximums - Asus Z97-K /w i5 4690 Bclk @106.9Mhz * x39 = 4.17Ghz, 8GB of 2600Mhz DDR3,.. Gigabyte GTX970 G1-Gaming @ 1550Mhz

8 hours ago, Delicieuxz said:

Windows Update in Windows 10 is simply unmanageable, highly interfering, and a risk to work that's being done on the PC. The method I use to resolve all the negatives that Windows 10 Windows Update is responsible for is to disable the Windows Update service. Then, Windows Update doesn't search for, download, or install any update. It's simply turned off, and the PC then finally behaves like a normal PC.

To do that, in the search menu start, type Services, and open it. In the Services window, scroll down to Windows Update, double-click it to open the properties windows for Windows Update, and then click the Startup Type box and choose Disabled. Then click OK to confirm and close the Windows Update properties window.

Whenever you want to dedicate a few minutes to installing any new Windows 10 updates, just open Services again, open the Windows Update properties window again, and change the Startup Type back to Automatic, and click OK. Then just run Windows Update and search for and install any updates, and then re-disable the Windows Update service. That's the only rational way to Windows Update in Windows 10, I think.

Wut? How do you qualify that statement? Windows XP, Vista, 7, and 8(.1) all have the same system, but with the option to choose not to download or install updates automatically. And those Windows OSes won't

Windows 10 has update cloud-sharing, has forced updates, has automatic installation and restarting, has restrictive usage hours...Windows 10 literally has the most intrusive update system of any Windows OS. Android also has a less intrusive update system. I don't use Apple computers, so I don't know, but I would bet that they also have a less intrusive update system.

As I said earlier, turning off updates for any extended period of time is ridiculous for any non tech-savvy user. It's hilarious.

I qualify my statement with hard facts. Have you ever used any OS prior to Windows 8? Windows 7, pops up a reminder every 10 minutes-4 hours with a restart prompt, and will eventually do it in the middle of work if you ignore it long enough. All prior OS's will also FORCE you to run all the updates the very first time you restart your PC after their finishing.

Those points are all absent from Windows 10. Provided you leave your PC running, it will do virtually all it's updates in the background and you will NEVER notice them. P2P Update sharing is such a weak point for intrusiveness, and has nothing to do with OP. If you want that off, use a privacy tool. Forced updates? Yeah, so does every single modern device. Automatic installation of updates, yes. (What's the argument here?) Automatic restarts? Yes, at 3  in the morning. Not really intrusive in the slightest. Restrictive usage hours... What? What does that even mean?

For your Android and Mac arguments, OK, sure. Android only requires you to fully reboot the device you use constantly once a month, with a giant pop up window that you can't ignore. Not intrusive at all.

Mac, I really don't remember. I think those are actually pretty seamless. They're also a thousand dollars more expensive. Which makes them a niche market, which means they don't need weekly security updates.

If you want to disable your Windows Updates, go for it. But don't spread the notion that it's in any way, shape, or form a good idea.

• CPU
  • Motherboard
    Asus Prime X299 Deluxe
  • RAM
  • GPU
    GTX 1080Ti FE
  • Case
  • Storage
  • PSU
  • Display(s)
    3x 1080p Garbage
  • Cooling
  • Keyboard
  • Mouse
  • Sound
  • Operating System

3 hours ago, BWLServers said:

As I said earlier, turning off updates for any extended period of time is ridiculous for any non tech-savvy user. It's hilarious.

I qualify my statement with hard facts. Have you ever used any OS prior to Windows 8? Windows 7, pops up a reminder every 10 minutes-4 hours with a restart prompt, and will eventually do it in the middle of work if you ignore it long enough. All prior OS's will also FORCE you to run all the updates the very first time you restart your PC after their finishing.

Those points are all absent from Windows 10. Provided you leave your PC running, it will do virtually all it's updates in the background and you will NEVER notice them. P2P Update sharing is such a weak point for intrusiveness, and has nothing to do with OP. If you want that off, use a privacy tool. Forced updates? Yeah, so does every single modern device. Automatic installation of updates, yes. (What's the argument here?) Automatic restarts? Yes, at 3  in the morning. Not really intrusive in the slightest. Restrictive usage hours... What? What does that even mean?

What W7 where you using?  You can set W7 to never do that.  Heck, you can set it to only notify that updates are available and select the updates you want to download and install (the way I set mine because my computers stay 24/7 operations).

W7 only did that behavior if left on default auto update which was easy to switch in the update center to different behavior. 

Or, do this:

dd492018.alerts2.jpg.jpg

Or, this:

3522d1242168648-windows-update-settings-

Not sure which W10 the OP has, but if willing, OP can dig into the GPOs.

Not sure if this work around still works:

1. Open the Run command (Win + R), in it type: gpedit.msc and press enter
  2. Navigate to: Computer Configuration -> Administrative Templates -> Windows Components -> Windows Update
  3. Open this and change the Configure Automatic Updates setting to ‘2 - Notify for download and notify for install’
  4. Open the Settings app (Win + I) and navigate to -> Update and Security -> Windows Updates. Click ‘Check for updates’ which applies the new configuration setting
  5. Restart

Or this one:

1. Open the Run command (Win + R), in it type: regedit and press enter
  2. Navigate to: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\WindowsUpdate\AU
  3. In there create a ‘32-bit DWORD’ value called ‘AuOptions’ and under ‘Value Data’ type 2 and click ‘OK’
  4. Open the Settings app (Win + I) and navigate to -> Update and Security -> Windows Updates. Click ‘Check for updates’ which applies the new configuration setting
  5. Restart

Not sure if the registry hack to set an Ethernet to meter still works, but there is that option.

This page got a few things the OP can try:  https://www.howtogeek.com/224471/how-to-prevent-windows-10-from-automatically-downloading-updates/

2023 BOINC Pentathlon Event

F@H & BOINC Installation on Linux Guide

My CPU Army: 5800X, E5-2670V3, 1950X, 5960X J Batch, 10750H *lappy

My GPU Army:3080Ti, 960 FTW @ 1551MHz, RTX 2070 Max-Q *lappy

My Console Brigade: Gamecube, Wii, Wii U, Switch, PS2 Fatty, Xbox One S, Xbox One X

My Tablet Squad: iPad Air 5th Gen, Samsung Tab S, Nexus 7 (1st gen)

3D Printer Unit: Prusa MK3S, Prusa Mini, EPAX E10

VR Headset: Quest 2

Hardware lost to Kevdog's Law of Folding

OG Titan, 5960X, ThermalTake BlackWidow 850 Watt PSU

9 hours ago, BWLServers said:

It isn't. Microsoft's propaganda has spread thoroughly at LTT, and there are a lot of people who equate not leaving Windows Update on automatic to dangling someone else's baby over a cliff using one hand as a prank. Well, it isn't. And people need to stop misplacing feigned moral outrage where it is entirely inapplicable.

There is a marginally increased chance of protection if a Windows OS is fully updated - but there is also a larger increased chance of vulnerability to issues caused by Microsoft's own terrible update QA that has been a constant threat since Nadella became Microsoft's CEO and fired most of Microsoft's test engineers. Case in point: The latest Windows 10 update is causing many PCs to BSOD.

And that is only one of the many constant update debacles since Windows 10 released. I think that a Windows OS is literally far more more at risk from bad updates from Microsoft then it is from a lack of being updated. If a person has unsafe browsing habits, then the best security strategy is probably to update Windows only once every few months or so, and to disable Windows Update in-between. That way, the risks are fewer and spaced further apart, and there is time for issue detection and fixing of the updates that come in-between those every-few-months updates.

But, if a person has bad browsing habits, and they go everywhere sketchy and click on everything they see from all email senders, then having an updated Windows OS is not likely to save their system from becoming infected. Conversely, if a person has informed browsing habits, then having Windows be recently updated, or not updated in years, is unlikely to make any difference.

I think that the people treating not updating Windows as sacrilege do so out of ideological sentiment, and not much real-world experience. I've been running Windows OSes without updates for years, and not had any problem. I haven't run a Windows OS on automatic updates for any significant period of time after a fresh installation since Windows XP - where I quickly learned that turning off automatic updates results in a much more comfortable, controlled, and dependable OS experience. No matter what happens, turning off Windows Update has already proven worthwhile and beneficial for me many times over.

There are also some posters who tap into a bit of the same 'it's irresponsible to not do what Microsoft has brainwashed us to do' sentiment regarding not running Windows 10, as opposed to earlier Windows OSes, who qualify that idea by parroting Microsoft's marketing and propaganda in saying that Windows 10 is the most secure Windows to-date. Well, that isn't true either. Windows 10 is actually the least secure Windows OS to-date:

The number of security vulnerabilities discovered per Windows OS per year:

-------- 1999----2000----2001----2002----2003----2004----2005----2006----2007----2008----2009----2010----2011----2012----2013----2014----2015----2016----2017

---95 ---13-------31---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

---98 ---11-------15--------7---------12-------------------12------17------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

98se ---------------6--------6---------12----------------------------18-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

---NT ----64-------28------24--------23--------18-------24--------------------------------------16-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2000 ----18-------31-------43--------42--------31-------41------68-------42--------30-------24-------75-------45--------------------------------------------------------------------------

--ME -------------------------7---------10---------------------------15-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

---XP ------------------------10--------34--------22-------44------66-------56-------34-------34-------89-------98------101-------43-------87--------------------------------------------

Vista ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------31-------29-------76-------86-------95--------42-------95---------34------136------125----------

-----7 ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------64------102-------44-------99----------36------147------134------197

-----8 ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------58----------38-------146-------------------

---8.1 -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------38-------151------154------192

----10 ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------53-------172------226

Guess what: Microsoft uses lies in its PR marketing.

The number of times I've had to reinstall Windows due to disabling Windows Update for extensive periods of time: 0

The number of times I've had to reinstall Windows due to updating Windows through Windows Update: 3

I've extensively used all Windows since 3.1, and as Ithanul demonstrated, Windows 10 is actually the first Windows that uncontrollably pesters users to update, and which will inevitably force a system to update - unless the Windows Update service itself is disabled. It is not true that Windows 7 and prior Windows OSes have less options to avoid updates, their downloads, or their installation. Prior Windows OSes all have more, and more easily-accessed options in these regards.

You own the software that you purchase - Understanding software licenses and EULAs

"We’ll know our disinformation program is complete when everything the american public believes is false" - William Casey, CIA Director 1981-1987

4 hours ago, Ithanul said:

Not sure which W10 the OP has, but if willing, OP can dig into the GPOs.

Not sure if this work around still works:

1. Open the Run command (Win + R), in it type: gpedit.msc and press enter
  2. Navigate to: Computer Configuration -> Administrative Templates -> Windows Components -> Windows Update
  3. Open this and change the Configure Automatic Updates setting to ‘2 - Notify for download and notify for install’
  5. Restart

Doing that in Windows 10 is still not entirely effective. After a couple of months of not running Windows Update, Windows 10 will begin pasting a full-screen malware every time the system boots up with an offensive and deceitful message saying "You need updates", that a person has to click on to get rid of, and which I think then maybe opens Windows Update after it's clicked on.

In Windows 7, that never happens - notify to download and choose to install is just what it says, without any invasive, unauthorized, and abusive system hijacking.

In Windows 10, the only properly-functional way to control Windows Update is by disabling the Windows Update service. All other methods that I've read about and tried have caveats, and will continue the frustration and brokenness of Windows Update in Windows 10.

On 11/10/2017 at 10:26 AM, liquidmagma said:

windows 10 has an update what seems like efery fkn week. are they just some bullshit fixes or what. why arent they at least every month or two?

On 11/10/2017 at 10:35 AM, liquidmagma said:

useless and stupid waste of time.

No, they're security patches every couple of Tuesdays. Do you have to install them? No, in fact you can block updates. Should you install them if you're going to connect a PC to the internet? Absolutely, unless you don't mind the higher risk of security that comes with running an unpatched system. (This is exactly how the Equifax breach happened...)

On 11/10/2017 at 12:01 PM, liquidmagma said:

what if i have multiple tabs open and want them to all go. then when i open chrome they come back. not what i wanted. thats why i dont use that option.

Use a Chrome Extension to manage your tabs. My favorite is Session Buddy. https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/session-buddy/edacconmaakjimmfgnblocblbcdcpbko

Desktop: KiRaShi-Intel-2022 (i5-12600K, RTX2060) Mobile: OnePlus 5T | Koodo - 75GB Data + Data Rollover for $45/month
Laptop: Dell XPS 15 9560 (the real 15" MacBook Pro that Apple didn't make) Tablet: iPad Mini 5 | Lenovo IdeaPad Duet 10.1
Camera: Canon M6 Mark II | Canon Rebel T1i (500D) | Canon SX280 | Panasonic TS20D Music: Spotify Premium (CIRCA '08)

To say Windows security updates aren't important is, again, hilarious. They wouldn't release them if they weren't necessary.

Not sure where everyone gets the idea that Windows 10 pesters users to update.

Never once has 10 even given me an indication it was doing updates. They install at night, like they're intended to.

Windows 7 would nag me every single time it ran updates to restart.

Not sure why there's confusion and anger over this topic. It's like driving a car and NEVER getting an oil change because it's inconvenient.

• CPU
  • Motherboard
    Asus Prime X299 Deluxe
  • RAM
  • GPU
    GTX 1080Ti FE
  • Case
  • Storage
  • PSU
  • Display(s)
    3x 1080p Garbage
  • Cooling
  • Keyboard
  • Mouse
  • Sound
  • Operating System