Facebook wants to compete with Slack in the Work IM Chat App market

AlTech

Facebook has quietly released a desktop chat app for Businesses.

It mainly seems to be competing with Slack except Slack understandably is currently the objectively superior product due to better OS support, more features and stability.

As you can probably guess, Workplace Chat, Facebook's new Chat App, is available for Windows 7 + (A mistake in my book but oh well, too many people can't be bothered to upgrade) or Mac OS 10.9 Mavericks which is kind of funny because neither of those operating systems are greatly supported anymore.

facebook_desktop_app_2.0.jpg

Facebook has soft-launched official desktop chat apps for Mac and PC complete with screen sharing, reports TechCrunch. At the moment, the apps are only available through Facebook’s collaboration software Workplace, which is similar to Slack.

According to TechCrunch, the desktop chat app has a dashboard that collects your conversations and offers text search, as well as sharing options for photos, videos, voice clips, emoji, and GIFs. If you’re quite busy or easily distracted, you can also get notifications that pop up on the desktop so you won’t miss anything (like those all-important cat gifs). The apps also feature screen sharing where a user can at full-screen or just a portion where there’s only a specific app.

Facebook's justification for the existence of this product is:

This was one of the most widely requested features by customers, so we built it

I guess those customers have never heard of Slack, Jira, HipChat, Rocket Chat or any actually respectable IM chats for Business.

Oh well -_-.....

Source:

https://www.theverge.com/2017/10/6/16434936/facebook-chat-app-workplace-desktop

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

17 minutes ago, AluminiumTech said:

I guess those special snowflake customers have never heard of Slack, Jira, HipChat, Rocket Chat or any actually respectable IM chats for Business.

Many people like simplicity and want to have anything under one roof, be it for better or worse. I know few businesses that use workplace by fb, even though I know next to nothing about it. This may be more convenient for them for this or that reason.

There is also the whole facebook mania/addiction.

3 minutes ago, ScratchCat said:

Seems like Facebooks current policy is : if you can't buy them fight them .

Facebook is trying to get competitive into pretty much every area nowadays and I can't blame them. You have to expand somewhere, but they just have the means to expand everywhere. 

The ability to google properly is a skill of its own. 

Umm...Windows 7 is actually still greatly supported (even more so than some versions of Windows 10....which no longer receive security updates).

Anyway, why would anyone use this over pretty much any other alternative? As it is it looks just like the messenger section from FB's website (aka bare boned)

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

we use a WhatsApp group in my workplace it  works great

CPU: Intel9-9900k 5.0GHz at 1.36v  | Cooling: Custom Loop | MOTHERBOARD: ASUS ROG Z370 Maximus X Hero | RAM: CORSAIR 32GB DDR4-3200 VENGEANCE PRO RGB  | GPU: Nvidia RTX 2080Ti | PSU: CORSAIR RM850X + Cablemod modflex white cables | BOOT DRIVE: 250GB SSD Samsung 850 evo | STORAGE: 7.75TB | CASE: Fractal Design Define R6 BLackout | Display: SAMSUNG OLED 34 UW | Keyboard: HyperX Alloy elite RGB |  Mouse: Corsair M65 PRO RGB | OS: Windows 10 Pro | Phone: iPhone 11 Pro Max 256GB

1 minute ago, Dabombinable said:

Umm...Windows 7 is actually still greatly supported (even more so than some versions of Windows 10....which no longer receive security updates).

That is factually incorrect.  Windows 10 is supported better than Windows 7.

The original Windows 10 RTM is dead but all recent versions of Windows 10 are supported and receive monthly security updates.

1 minute ago, Dabombinable said:

Anyway, why would anyone use this over pretty much any other alternative? As it is it looks just like the messenger section from FB's website (aka bare boned)

This is for Businesses as mentioned. Facebook offers services to business for a subscription I believe.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

26 minutes ago, Dabombinable said:

Of course Microsoft is going to drop support for older releases of Windows 10, just like how they dropped Windows 7 RTM after SP1 was out for 2 years. Running Windows 10 RTM today is as logical as running Windows 7 RTM today (not very).

IMHO, it would be strange having corporate sensitive data handled to Facebook.

Companies using O365 (Active Directory) have an option of using MS Teams that is replacing Skype for Business (ex Lync and ex Office Communicator as well). That is if you are more in MS ecosystem. Hopefully MS will get it integrated more in VS and VSTS. So far, Teams looks pretty good to me.

I literally only learned about Slack about 4 hours ago.  It was mentioned on a Silicon Valley episode.  This is a really funny coincidence. xD

The only forms of IM that I've used in the past 10+ years are Facebook, Skype, IRC, and (most recently) Discord.

Make sure to quote or tag me (@JoostinOnline) or I won't see your response!

PSU Tier List  |  The Real Reason Delidding Improves Temperatures"2K" does not mean 2560×1440 

8 minutes ago, huilun02 said:

Support for older Windows is great and a smart move.

That doesn't mean new devices should ship with old Windows Versions.

New Applications shouldn't be held back by Businesses not willing to upgrade. That's the business's fault. If a program was designed when Windows 7 came out then fair enough if it supports Windows 7 in 2017. If on the other hand the program was designed when Windows 10 came out then Windows 10 would be the most logical target in my eyes.

Because lots of work computers are still on 7. Its costly to upgrade the OS just for an IM application.

I don't see this is as "just for an IM application" . It's the final straw that killed the Camel's back imho.

Ofc if its AluminiumTech's opinion anything other than what MS wants us to use is a sin.

I'm currently dual booting Ubuntu and Windows actually. And no I'm not a shill.

In the end its Facebook, one of the names you don't trust where privacy is concerned. 

Hopefully people don't trust Facebook.

6 minutes ago, JoostinOnline said:
  1. I literally only learned about Slack about 4 hours ago.  It was mentioned on a Silicon Valley episode.  This is a really funny coincidence. xD

Really? To be fair, Slack doesn't do much marketing other than through Word Of Mouth.

6 minutes ago, JoostinOnline said:

The only forms of IM that I've used in the past 10+ years are Facebook, Skype, IRC, and (most recently) Discord.

I've used WhatsApp, Discord and Skype.

Never used Facebook IM nor IRC.

Just now, AluminiumTech said:

Really? To be fair, Slack doesn't do much marketing other than through Word Of Mouth.

The fact that I stuck with IRC so long should tell you I'm not up to date with more modern forms of chat. xD

Make sure to quote or tag me (@JoostinOnline) or I won't see your response!

PSU Tier List  |  The Real Reason Delidding Improves Temperatures"2K" does not mean 2560×1440 

Is this YET ANOTHER electron app (that is slow, has shitty ui responsiveness, uses shit ton of ram, and is not a native app, but marketed as one), or is it actually a native app?

if it's the latter, seems cool. If not, not installing this garbage

57 minutes ago, JohnMiller92 said:

Is this YET ANOTHER electron app (that is slow, has shitty ui responsiveness, uses shit ton of ram, and is not a native app, but marketed as one), or is it actually a native app?

if it's the latter, seems cool. If not, not installing this garbage

Seems like it's Electron based but I can't say 100% for sure.

4 minutes ago, AluminiumTech said:

Seems like it's Electron based but I can't say 100% for sure.

Developers should really transition into Godot for native UI apps. I cannot stand HTML 5 responsiveness for "native apps" :( 

4 hours ago, AluminiumTech said:

facebook_desktop_app_2.0.jpg

This looks EXACTLY like facebook messenger, except there is a toolbar at the top with notifications. Seems pretty good if you want to add a person to multiple chats at the same time rather than adding them one by one, but otherwise doesn't seem to look very appealing based on this screenshot alone.

hello!

is it me you're looking for?

ᴾC SᴾeCS ᴰoWᴺ ᴮEᴸoW

Spoiler

Desktop: X99-PC

CPU: i7 5820k

Mobo: X99 Deluxe

Cooler: Dark Rock Pro 3

RAM: 32GB DDR4
GPU: GTX 1080

Storage: 1TB 850 Evo, 1TB HDD, bunch of external hard drives
PSU: EVGA G2 750w

Peripherals: Logitech G502, Ducky One 711

Audio: Xonar U7, O2 amplifier (RIP), HD6XX

Monitors: 4k 24" Dell monitor, 1080p 24" Asus monitor

Laptop:

-Overkill Dell XPS

Fully maxed out early 2017 Dell XPS 15, GTX 1050 4GB, 7700HQ, 1TB nvme SSD, 32GB RAM, 4k display. 97Whr battery :x 
Dell was having a $600 off sale for the fully specced out model, so I decided to get it :P

-Crapbook

Fully specced out early 2013 Macbook "pro" with gt 650m and constant 105c temperature on the CPU (GPU is 80-90C) when doing anything intensive...

A 2013 laptop with a regular sized battery still has better battery life than a 2017 laptop with a massive battery! I think this is a testament to apple's ability at making laptops, or maybe how little CPU technology has improved even 4+ years later (at least, until the recent introduction of 15W 4 core CPUs). Anyway, I'm never going to get a 35W CPU laptop again unless battery technology becomes ~5x better than as it is in 2018.

Apple knows how to make proper consumer-grade laptops (they don't know how to make pro laptops though). I guess this mostly software power efficiency related, but getting a mac makes perfect sense if you want a portable/powerful laptop that can do anything you want it to with great battery life.

3 hours ago, tridy said:

IMHO, it would be strange having corporate sensitive data handled to Facebook.

Companies using O365 (Active Directory) have an option of using MS Teams that is replacing Skype for Business (ex Lync and ex Office Communicator as well). That is if you are more in MS ecosystem. Hopefully MS will get it integrated more in VS and VSTS. So far, Teams looks pretty good to me.

No stranger than having it handled by Microsoft, Amazon, etc. Most corporations are already buying into cloud services in a big way so while your concern is understandable, it's well, kinda moot. Maybe one could make "the devil you know" argument about Facebook but that's about it.

-------

Current Rig

-------

5 hours ago, AluminiumTech said:

Facebook has quietly released a desktop chat app for Businesses.

Why.gif.7b1e0aa850f1166b2a55334eb8d0602a.gif

And more importantly, why would any business use FacePuke for their company communications?

is available for Windows 7 + (A mistake in my book

Many business still rely on Windows 7.

I guess those customers have never heard of Slack, Jira, HipChat, Rocket Chat or any actually respectable IM chats for Business.

Not one of those (just based on name alone) sounds like something I would use or recommend for business purposes.

Seems funny to me that any company would actually allow this, I mean think of all those tech illiterates that work in some businesses... now imagine those people want to chat with someone in their own workplace about something business related, but accidentally include their whole friends list or a group, that business only chat has now become widespread and could be very embarrassing for the person involved. Imagine if that chat was about a sensitive issue, or worse yet something that could land that business in a whole heap of trouble such as trade secrets O.o

I bet you all at least know one, two or more people that this would possibly happen to. You know, the person that asks you how you move a file again (for the 50th time).

Please quote my post, or put @paddy-stone if you want me to respond to you.

Spoiler
  • PCs:- 
  • Main PC build  https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/2K6Q7X
  • ASUS x53e  - i7 2670QM / Sony BD writer x8 / Win 10, Elemetary OS, Ubuntu/ Samsung 830 SSD
  • Lenovo G50 - 8Gb RAM - Samsung 860 Evo 250GB SSD - DVD writer
  •  
  • Displays:-
  • Philips 55 OLED 754 model
  • Panasonic 55" 4k TV
  • LG 29" Ultrawide
  • Philips 24" 1080p monitor as backup
  •  
  • Storage/NAS/Servers:-
  • ESXI/test build  https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/4wyR9G
  • Main Server https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/3Qftyk
  • Backup server - HP Proliant Gen 8 4 bay NAS running FreeNAS ZFS striped 3x3TiB WD reds
  • HP ProLiant G6 Server SE316M1 Twin Hex Core Intel Xeon E5645 2.40GHz 48GB RAM
  •  
  • Gaming/Tablets etc:-
  • Xbox One S 500GB + 2TB HDD
  • PS4
  • Nvidia Shield TV
  • Xiaomi/Pocafone F2 pro 8GB/256GB
  • Xiaomi Redmi Note 4

• Unused Hardware currently :-
  • 4670K MSI mobo 16GB ram
  • i7 6700K  b250 mobo
  • Zotac GTX 1060 6GB Amp! edition
  • Zotac GTX 1050 mini

6 hours ago, AluminiumTech said:

As you can probably guess, Workplace Chat, Facebook's new Chat App, is available for Windows 7 + (A mistake in my book but oh well, too many people can't be bothered to upgrade) or Mac OS 10.9 Mavericks which is kind of funny because neither of those operating systems are greatly supported anymore.

Why is supporting more operating systems a bad thing?

I think putting artificial limitations on what platforms a program can run on would be a huge mistake because all it does is piss people off and limiting your userbase. For something aimed at businesses that would be an incredibly stupid move.

27 minutes ago, Jito463 said:

Not one of those (just based on name alone) sounds like something I would use or recommend for business purposes.

Don't judge a book by its cover. I don't have much experience with it myself, but Slack is pretty nice.

16 minutes ago, LAwLz said:

Don't judge a book by its cover. I don't have much experience with it myself, but Slack is pretty nice.

Oh, I'm not saying any of those are actually bad programs.  As I said in my post, I'm just commenting based on their name.  They don't sound very professional.

7 minutes ago, Jito463 said:

Oh, I'm not saying any of those are actually bad programs.  As I said in my post, I'm just commenting based on their name.  They don't sound very professional.

They use Electron, they are bad programs don't be scared to say that :)

Just now, JohnMiller92 said:

They use Electron, they are bad programs don't be scared to say that :)

As I have no experience with any of them (and in fact, have never even heard of a single one of them prior to this thread), I couldn't say either way.

3 hours ago, Misanthrope said:

No stranger than having it handled by Microsoft, Amazon, etc. Most corporations are already buying into cloud services in a big way so while your concern is understandable, it's well, kinda moot. Maybe one could make "the devil you know" argument about Facebook but that's about it.

I think that having O365 in the company gives a huge exposure of data to MS. The same company could be using Amazon for hosting some services ir similar, but email system is very sensitive. Using cloud services does not mean that you will expose email/documents data. Using O365 does mean that. So, I personally would not like trusting one more company with the chat correspondence data.

I did close my fb account 2 years ago due to their policies about handling personal data and photos. So, I am very biased here, and would definitely go Slack over FB, if I had to choose. At the same time, I am a .Net/VS developer as well, so MS world is closest to me. Hence MS Teams.

In the end, if one has a choice, probably a tool that makes you the most productive should be chosen.

11 hours ago, tridy said:

I think that having O365 in the company gives a huge exposure of data to MS. The same company could be using Amazon for hosting some services ir similar, but email system is very sensitive. Using cloud services does not mean that you will expose email/documents data. Using O365 does mean that. So, I personally would not like trusting one more company with the chat correspondence data.

I did close my fb account 2 years ago due to their policies about handling personal data and photos. So, I am very biased here, and would definitely go Slack over FB, if I had to choose. At the same time, I am a .Net/VS developer as well, so MS world is closest to me. Hence MS Teams.

In the end, if one has a choice, probably a tool that makes you the most productive should be chosen.

When you have an enterprise service agreement with a cloud company, you're guaranteed goingn to have it written in there that they don't ever touch or look at your data.  Wouldn't surprise me if it's encrypted in such a way that they don't even have access.

Workstation:  13700k @ 5.5Ghz || Gigabyte Z790 Ultra || MSI Gaming Trio 4090 Shunt || TeamGroup DDR5-7800 @ 7000 || Corsair AX1500i@240V || whole-house loop.

LANRig/GuestGamingBox: 9900nonK || Gigabyte Z390 Master || ASUS TUF 3090 650W shunt || Corsair SF600 || CPU+GPU watercooled 280 rad pull only || whole-house loop.

Server Router (Untangle): 13600k @ Stock || ASRock Z690 ITX || All 10Gbe || 2x8GB 3200 || PicoPSU 150W 24pin + AX1200i on CPU|| whole-house loop

Server Compute/Storage: 10850K @ 5.1Ghz || Gigabyte Z490 Ultra || EVGA FTW3 3090 1000W || LSI 9280i-24 port || 4TB Samsung 860 Evo, 5x10TB Seagate Enterprise Raid 6, 4x8TB Seagate Archive Backup ||  whole-house loop.

Laptop: HP Elitebook 840 G8 (Intel 1185G7) + 3080Ti Thunderbolt Dock, Razer Blade Stealth 13" 2017 (Intel 8550U)