So my Tempered Glass went KABOOM

phongle123

I completed my Ryzen build today and I had finished playing a game, close it and decided to check the feel the glass to find any warm or hot spots. Right as I touched it the tempered glass literally shattered into a million pieces on my hand.

I'm sad/=

20170901_020157.thumb.jpg.197f3326982e4111fd552e751b2c715c.jpg

Sue the case manufacturer!

/s... Maybe.

But man, that sucks.

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

Thought the point of tempered glass what that this didn't happen? 

Get on them, get a new case or a refund man haha.

Current Build:

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 2600 // Mobo: Ryzen AM4 B350 GAMING PLUS ATX // RAM: 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3000MHz // GPU: Gigabyte AMD Radeon RX 580 Gaming 8GB // SSD: Kingston A400 120GB // HDD: 3 x WD Blue 1TB // PSUCorsair 650M // Case: Corsair 450D // Monitor: LG Ultrawide 29" IPS

Plex Server:

CPU: AMD FX 8350 Black Edition // Mobo: Gigabyte - GA-78LMT-USB3 R2 Micro ATX // RAM: 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600 MHz // GPU: GeForce GTX 670 // HDD: Seagate BarraCuda 2TB // PSU: Kolink Core Series 500W 80 Plus Certified // Case: AVP Viper Mini Tower

Other:

PS4 Pro // PS3 // Nintendo Switch (Pokemon edition) // Nintendo 3DS // Xbox 360 // iPhone 8 Plus // Macbook Retina 2013

Yeah that aint right, get a replacement xD

------(]CATASTROPHIC FAILURE[)------

2 minutes ago, Catastrophic Failure said:

Yeah that aint right, get a replacement xD

And possibly a new upgrade. 

Magical Pineapples

And this is why I stick to polycarbonate 

Remember kids, the only difference between screwing around and science is writing it down. - Adam Savage

PHOΞNIX Ryzen 5 1600 @ 3.75GHz | Corsair LPX 16Gb DDR4 @ 2933 | MSI B350 Tomahawk | Sapphire RX 480 Nitro+ 8Gb | Intel 535 120Gb | Western Digital WD5000AAKS x2 | Cooler Master HAF XB Evo | Corsair H80 + Corsair SP120 | Cooler Master 120mm AF | Corsair SP120 | Icy Box IB-172SK-B | OCZ CX500W | Acer GF246 24" + AOC <some model> 21.5" | Steelseries Apex 350 | Steelseries Diablo 3 | Steelseries Syberia RAW Prism | Corsair HS-1 | Akai AM-A1

D.VA coming soon™ xoxo

Sapphire Acer Aspire 1410 Celeron 743 | 3Gb DDR2-667 | 120Gb HDD | Windows 10 Home x32

Vault Tec Celeron 420 | 2Gb DDR2-667 | Storage pending | Open Media Vault

gh0st Asus K50IJ T3100 | 2Gb DDR2-667 | 40Gb HDD | Ubuntu 17.04

Diskord Apple MacBook A1181 Mid-2007 Core2Duo T7400 @2.16GHz | 4Gb DDR2-667 | 120Gb HDD | Windows 10 Pro x32

Firebird//Phoeniix FX-4320 | Gigabyte 990X-Gaming SLI | Asus GTS 450 | 16Gb DDR3-1600 | 2x Intel 535 250Gb | 4x 10Tb Western Digital Red | 600W Segotep custom refurb unit | Windows 10 Pro x64 // offisite backup and dad's PC

Saint Olms Apple iPhone 6 16Gb Gold

Archon Microsoft Lumia 640 LTE

Gulliver Nokia Lumia 1320

Werkfern Nokia Lumia 520

Hydromancer Acer Liquid Z220

10 minutes ago, phongle123 said:

I completed my Ryzen build today and I had finished playing a game, close it and decided to check the feel the glass to find any warm or hot spots. Right as I touched it the tempered glass literally shattered into a million pieces on my hand.

I'm sad/=

Contact the manufacture it's not unheard for tempered glass to shatter randomly without an impact due to the fairly large stresses inside the glass after tempering.

-Moved to Case and Power Supplies- 

Could have been uneven temperature stress, and touching it was the piece that put it over the edge. 

Looks like a be quiet! case. I'd contact them

"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"- @Princess Luna

Make sure to Quote posts or tag the person with @[username] so they know you responded to them!

RGB Build Post 2019 --- Rainbow 🦆 2020 --- Velka 5 V2.0 Build 2021

Purple Build Post ---  Blue Build Post --- Blue Build Post 2018 --- Project ITNOS

CPU i7-4790k    Motherboard Gigabyte Z97N-WIFI    RAM G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1866mhz    GPU EVGA GTX1080Ti FTW3    Case Corsair 380T   

Storage Samsung EVO 250GB, Samsung EVO 1TB, WD Black 3TB, WD Black 5TB    PSU Corsair CX750M    Cooling Cryorig H7 with NF-A12x25

6 hours ago, phongle123 said:

I'm sad/=

That's one of the properties of tempered glass...

Because the glass is under stress everytime and thus prone to shattering.

See Wikipedia:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toughened_glass

"Hell is full of good meanings, but Heaven is full of good works"

Sometimes, this happens when you over-tighten the mounting screws onto the glass and case. I've handled about 100 570X cases since its original inception and that has always been a worry for us. 

My recommendation for anyone else looking in this thread who owns a TG case: spin the screw down, once it touches the glass, tighten a half turn more. That should be all it takes to fully secure your glass to the case.

3 hours ago, Gravesnear said:

Could have been uneven temperature stress, and touching it was the piece that put it over the edge. 

Is this a fault of my specific tempered glass or is this all Tempered glass when 1 side is warm/hot and the other side is cold it will shatter?

5 hours ago, phongle123 said:

Is this a fault of my specific tempered glass or is this all Tempered glass when 1 side is warm/hot and the other side is cold it will shatter?

The minor change in heat due to the system wouldn't be a problem it would need to much more extreme for that to cause the glass to shatter. 

could he get just a replacement side panel? in that case i think it should be fairly simple to get a new one from bequiet?

or a replacement glass?

and this is why i dont want tempered glass.

How do Reavers clean their spears?

|Specs in profile|

The Wheel of Time turns, and Ages come and pass, leaving memories that become legend. Legend fades to myth, and even myth is long forgotten when the Age that gave it birth comes again.

I suppose having positive air pressure inside the case could also cause this, as it would push outward on the glass.

On 9/1/2017 at 1:34 PM, phongle123 said:

It would have to be a combination of both. Most tempered glass should be able to handle one part being hotter than another considering the level of heat in a computer. This can affect any tempered glass, the difference usually needs to be more severe. Of course the forces that make tempered glass so strong can be affected by things like scratches, dings, chips,  and manufacturing defects. My guess is you have a faulty panel that didn't like a hotspot, or you didn't have a  soft spacer on one or more of the nuts that hold the panel on. Tempered glass is tough but it doesn't like hard objects.

How's your hand?

Riptide

Spoiler

| CPUi7 9700K @4.8GHz | Motherboard - ASUS ROG Maximus XI Code | Cooler - NZXT Kraken X52 | RAM - Corsair Dominator Platinum 32GB @3600MHz | GPU - EVGA GTX 1080Ti FTW3 Hybrid @2.1GHz | Storage - Samsung 960 Pro 512GB; Samsung 850 Evo 1TB; WD Black 2TB | Power Supply - EVGA G3 1000 Watt (with CableMod Cables) | Case - Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ATX TG (Anthracite Gray) | Case Fans - Too many Corsair ML120 Pro fans :P |

Peripherals

Spoiler

| Keyboard - Corsair K95 RGB Platinum with Cherry MX Brown switches | Mouse - Logitech G Pro + Logitech G900 Chaos Spectrum | Audio - Sennheiser PC37X + GSX 1000 |

Put the glass back together like a puzle with superglue and put some LEDs inside for a nice illumination effect.

Intel Xeon 1650 V0 (4.4GHz @1.4V), ASRock X79 Extreme6, 32GB of HyperX 1866, Sapphire Nitro+ 5700XT, Silverstone Redline (black) RL05BB-W, Crucial MX500 500GB SSD, TeamGroup GX2 512GB SSD, WD AV-25 1TB 2.5" HDD with generic Chinese 120GB SSD as cache, x2 Seagate 2TB SSHD(RAID 0) with generic Chinese 240GB SSD as cache, SeaSonic Focus Plus Gold 850, x2 Acer H236HL, Acer V277U be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 4, Logitech K120, Tecknet "Gaming" mouse, Creative Inspire T2900, HyperX Cloud Flight Wireless headset, Windows 10 Pro 64 bit

That must have been heart breaking for you when that happened. Please send the case back immediately and get a new or upgraded version.

On 9/1/2017 at 3:18 AM, Rhyss said:

Thought the point of tempered glass what that this didn't happen? 

The point of tempered class is to shatter exactly like that instead of into jagged shards. It's also why the trend of TG computers is really, really stupid unless you replace your case every three years or so or never touch anything around your computer.

Funny story regarding TG, my family used to have a TG patio table. We were doing a cookout for the 4th of July with all the trimmings with family, My mom puts the fruit bowl on one side of me, and y dad brings over the steaks. As he places them on the table the entire thing shatters. I have bare feet.I look down expecting my feet to be bleeding, instead they're just covered in tempered glass and fruit. Since the fruit bowl landed exactly upside down, while my uncle is waiting for us to decide where we're going to dinner instead, he removes the bowl and starts picking at the fruit.

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎9‎/‎2‎/‎2017 at 1:51 PM, KSP said:

How's your hand?

The Tempered glass that cracked wasn't sharp at all. It was like a sanded down piece of wood. I could slide my finger through it and no cuts. Besides the tiny pieces of glass the separates from the cracked glass.

On ‎9‎/‎2‎/‎2017 at 0:58 PM, Gravesnear said:

It would have to be a combination of both. Most tempered glass should be able to handle one part being hotter than another considering the level of heat in a computer. This can affect any tempered glass, the difference usually needs to be more severe. Of course the forces that make tempered glass so strong can be affected by things like scratches, dings, chips,  and manufacturing defects. My guess is you have a faulty panel that didn't like a hotspot, or you didn't have a  soft spacer on one or more of the nuts that hold the panel on. Tempered glass is tough but it doesn't like hard objects.

On ‎9‎/‎1‎/‎2017 at 7:47 PM, turkey3_scratch said:

I suppose having positive air pressure inside the case could also cause this, as it would push outward on the glass.

So in my case, my case is liquid cooled and both radiators are pointing outwards meaning most of not all of the hot air is being pushed outside. So assuming the inside was not hot,

in this case. So I don't think the inside of the case could have been hot at all. Warn perhaps but not hot. But I don't know since it shattered before I could even get a feel for it.

And there are more fans pushing outwards than there are inwards since Radiators prevent a lot of airflow.

Could negative air pressure be a cause of this? It could be balanced or negative but not positive due to my above statement.

If there weren't enough air inside the case vs air going out?

On ‎9‎/‎2‎/‎2017 at 9:07 PM, Tech Learner said:

That must have been heart breaking for you when that happened. Please send the case back immediately and get a new or upgraded version.

I sent a message to Be Quiet's Contact Us link the day after I posted this from your suggestions and I have yet to receive a reply back even though their page says typically within 24 hours.

• 1 month later...
On ‎9‎/‎16‎/‎2017 at 9:22 PM, Tech Learner said:

@phongle123 I'm sorry to hear that customer service hasn't gotten back in touch with you yet. Hopefully you will hear back from them so.

Update: I received a new tempered glass today!

It was packed to survive a bomb.