Intel releases 16 core CPU for $449 USD

9 hours ago, JoostinOnline said:

I should have been more specific.  They're good at what they're designed for, which is mainly lightweight single-task programs.  Something that actually uses 16 cores (or even more than 2) is going to be too much for an ATOM though.  You aren't going to be rendering videos on a tablet.

That's not what they are designed for. These are low power server and NAS CPUs. They do what they are meant to do, the same way the really low clock Xeons and Opterons do their job, not to mention HT. There are plenty of tasks in such use case that can benefit from multiple cores, even if weak, rather a few stronger ones, and are especially attractive if they come at a very low power budget.

These are not CPUs to power PCs.

9 hours ago, bobhays said:

Encoding videos is one of the best uses of these atoms. Probably going to be amazing for freeNas/Plex servers.

Atom's are more basic cores and which also have small level1 and level 2  caches (and no l3 caches).which would kill the performance  (~1.2 MB L1 cache and 16 MB l2  compared to ryzen with three caches, 0.5 MB l1 + 4 MB l2 + 16 MB l3)

the intel page says they don't have turbo boost so should be basically locked at 2  ghz link

The C3955 is 2.1 ghz base, 2.4 ghz turbo, 16 cores link

but the networking stuff is cool ... 4 x 10 gbps can save some cash if you design a heavy nas.

though you could also spend $100 o n ryzen 3 1200, oc it, buy ddr4 memory with ecc support and spend 100$ per 10gbps card and probably get better performance.

11 hours ago, JoostinOnline said:

Why though?  ATOM processors are crap.  Adding 14 extra pieces of crap to it doesn't make it gold. xD

11 hours ago, Mathematech said:

Wait... this is legit? I haven't read the articles yet, but this seems too out of place to be a real thing.

This is meant to compete with ARM servers ( manycore ) , on very parallel tasks . In this case atom fits the role well , as it allows for low power and cost on a chip that will end up being pretty powerful when all 16 cores are used.

AMD Ryzen R7 1700 (3.8ghz) w/ NH-D14, EVGA RTX 2080 XC (stock), 4*4GB DDR4 3000MT/s RAM, Gigabyte AB350-Gaming-3 MB, CX750M PSU, 1.5TB SDD + 7TB HDD, Phanteks enthoo pro case

I should have been more specific.  They're good at what they're designed for, which is mainly lightweight single-task programs.  Something that actually uses 16 cores (or even more than 2) is going to be too much for an ATOM though.  You aren't going to be rendering videos on a tablet.

Funny you say that given that Airmont is the basis for the Knights Landing Xeon Phi.

4 hours ago, jagdtigger said:

Judging from the x5 z8300 it wont be a good idea to buy that junk. At that price point you are better off with a AMD APU... :D

this is a server chip ... there are workloads that can work well on this hardware , and it's in a totally different market than AMD's old steamroller chips.

AMD Ryzen R7 1700 (3.8ghz) w/ NH-D14, EVGA RTX 2080 XC (stock), 4*4GB DDR4 3000MT/s RAM, Gigabyte AB350-Gaming-3 MB, CX750M PSU, 1.5TB SDD + 7TB HDD, Phanteks enthoo pro case

the ATOM cores aren't just meant for tablets and low end craptops .

They are designed for use cases that require low power, low cost cores . Because of this , they also excel in many core designs if the workload can use them ( xeon phi is an example )

13 minutes ago, M.Yurizaki said:

Funny you say that given that Airmont is the basis for the Knights Landing Xeon Phi.

In that scenario they're basically used to feed the FP units and not really do heavy lifting directly themselves.

Main system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, Corsair Vengeance Pro 3200 3x 16GB 2R, RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

13 hours ago, CUDA_Cores said:

lol, My laptop has a 16 core (probably around 1GHz) CPU. 

It's at about 2GHz. The Gigabyte motherboard that has it is very well featured, too. With 4 mini SAS ports, it can support 16 SATA HDDs.

USEFUL LINKS:

PSU Tier List F@H stats

4 hours ago, mariushm said:

Atom's are more basic cores and which also have small level1 and level 2  caches (and no l3 caches).which would kill the performance  (~1.2 MB L1 cache and 16 MB l2  compared to ryzen with three caches, 0.5 MB l1 + 4 MB l2 + 16 MB l3)

the intel page says they don't have turbo boost so should be basically locked at 2  ghz link

The C3955 is 2.1 ghz base, 2.4 ghz turbo, 16 cores link

but the networking stuff is cool ... 4 x 10 gbps can save some cash if you design a heavy nas.

though you could also spend $100 o n ryzen 3 1200, oc it, buy ddr4 memory with ecc support and spend 100$ per 10gbps card and probably get better performance.

What you said is true, but it's still amazing for low power video encoding and a file server. The main reasons being great networking, ECC support, and low power.

These chips are meant to keep ARM out of the server market.  The "lots of really shitty cores" market.

Workstation:  13700k @ 5.5Ghz || Gigabyte Z790 Ultra || MSI Gaming Trio 4090 Shunt || TeamGroup DDR5-7800 @ 7000 || Corsair AX1500i@240V || whole-house loop.

LANRig/GuestGamingBox: 9900nonK || Gigabyte Z390 Master || ASUS TUF 3090 650W shunt || Corsair SF600 || CPU+GPU watercooled 280 rad pull only || whole-house loop.

Server Router (Untangle): 13600k @ Stock || ASRock Z690 ITX || All 10Gbe || 2x8GB 3200 || PicoPSU 150W 24pin + AX1200i on CPU|| whole-house loop

Server Compute/Storage: 10850K @ 5.1Ghz || Gigabyte Z490 Ultra || EVGA FTW3 3090 1000W || LSI 9280i-24 port || 4TB Samsung 860 Evo, 5x10TB Seagate Enterprise Raid 6, 4x8TB Seagate Archive Backup ||  whole-house loop.

Laptop: HP Elitebook 840 G8 (Intel 1185G7) + 3080Ti Thunderbolt Dock, Razer Blade Stealth 13" 2017 (Intel 8550U)

So, when is AMD dropping the price of the 1950X to be competitive with this thing?

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

11 hours ago, Coaxialgamer said:

This is meant to compete with ARM servers ( manycore ) , on very parallel tasks . In this case atom fits the role well , as it allows for low power and cost on a chip that will end up being pretty powerful when all 16 cores are used.

Oh, ok. Thanks.

People constantly shitting on Atoms has been a thing that has been bugging me for a while now,  It's good to see a few people at least understand what they were designed for.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

On 8/22/2017 at 0:03 AM, JoostinOnline said:

Cinebench score might go up to 12, though.

Aerocool DS are the best fans you've never tried.

Would love to build my Web server around one of these CPU's.

WS: 13900K - 128GB - 6.5TB SSD - RTX 3090 24GB - 42" LG OLED C2  - W11 Pro
LAPTOP: Lenovo Gaming 3 - 8GB - 512GB SSD - GTX 1650

NAS 1: HP MicroServer Gen8 - 32TB - FreeNAS

NAS 2: 10400F - 44TB - FreeNAS

On 22/08/2017 at 4:10 AM, ARikozuM said:

If they can price this around $300, it should be a victory for the home server folks trying to set up a nice NAS/Plex server. 

Exactly what I was thinking. That is some impressive hardware though for a $300 board, though I hope you're right as this seems like a winner to me and has my juices flowing :D

Please quote my post, or put @paddy-stone if you want me to respond to you.

Spoiler
  • PCs:- 
  • Main PC build  https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/2K6Q7X
  • ASUS x53e  - i7 2670QM / Sony BD writer x8 / Win 10, Elemetary OS, Ubuntu/ Samsung 830 SSD
  • Lenovo G50 - 8Gb RAM - Samsung 860 Evo 250GB SSD - DVD writer
  •  
  • Displays:-
  • Philips 55 OLED 754 model
  • Panasonic 55" 4k TV
  • LG 29" Ultrawide
  • Philips 24" 1080p monitor as backup
  •  
  • Storage/NAS/Servers:-
  • ESXI/test build  https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/4wyR9G
  • Main Server https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/3Qftyk
  • Backup server - HP Proliant Gen 8 4 bay NAS running FreeNAS ZFS striped 3x3TiB WD reds
  • HP ProLiant G6 Server SE316M1 Twin Hex Core Intel Xeon E5645 2.40GHz 48GB RAM
  •  
  • Gaming/Tablets etc:-
  • Xbox One S 500GB + 2TB HDD
  • PS4
  • Nvidia Shield TV
  • Xiaomi/Pocafone F2 pro 8GB/256GB
  • Xiaomi Redmi Note 4

• Unused Hardware currently :-
  • 4670K MSI mobo 16GB ram
  • i7 6700K  b250 mobo
  • Zotac GTX 1060 6GB Amp! edition
  • Zotac GTX 1050 mini

18 hours ago, mr moose said:

People constantly shitting on Atoms has been a thing that has been bugging me for a while now,  It's good to see a few people at least understand what they were designed for.

I had, and actually still have though it's unused now, one of the acer revo boxes from way back, and used that as a XBMC media PC. Was very capable, especially seeing as how you could just leave it in "sleep" mode when not being used so that you didn't have to wait for it to cold boot up when needed. I just finished building my newest NAS/server, but now am thinking of swapping the cpu/mobo out now I ahve seen this, most especially for the mini SAS connectivity, 10GbE and 16 core low power hardware, on the gigabyte board that is.

Please quote my post, or put @paddy-stone if you want me to respond to you.

Spoiler
  • PCs:- 
  • Main PC build  https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/2K6Q7X
  • ASUS x53e  - i7 2670QM / Sony BD writer x8 / Win 10, Elemetary OS, Ubuntu/ Samsung 830 SSD
  • Lenovo G50 - 8Gb RAM - Samsung 860 Evo 250GB SSD - DVD writer
  •  
  • Displays:-
  • Philips 55 OLED 754 model
  • Panasonic 55" 4k TV
  • LG 29" Ultrawide
  • Philips 24" 1080p monitor as backup
  •  
  • Storage/NAS/Servers:-
  • ESXI/test build  https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/4wyR9G
  • Main Server https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/3Qftyk
  • Backup server - HP Proliant Gen 8 4 bay NAS running FreeNAS ZFS striped 3x3TiB WD reds
  • HP ProLiant G6 Server SE316M1 Twin Hex Core Intel Xeon E5645 2.40GHz 48GB RAM
  •  
  • Gaming/Tablets etc:-
  • Xbox One S 500GB + 2TB HDD
  • PS4
  • Nvidia Shield TV
  • Xiaomi/Pocafone F2 pro 8GB/256GB
  • Xiaomi Redmi Note 4

• Unused Hardware currently :-
  • 4670K MSI mobo 16GB ram
  • i7 6700K  b250 mobo
  • Zotac GTX 1060 6GB Amp! edition
  • Zotac GTX 1050 mini

2 minutes ago, paddy-stone said:

I had, and actually still have though it's unused now, one of the acer revo boxes from way back, and used that as a XBMC media PC. Was very capable, especially seeing as how you could just leave it in "sleep" mode when not being used so that you didn't have to wait for it to cold boot up when needed. I just finished building my newest NAS/server, but now am thinking of swapping the cpu/mobo out now I ahve seen this, most especially for the mini SAS connectivity, 10GbE and 16 core low power hardware, on the gigabyte board that is.

I had a netbook, back when 7 hours run time was good, I usually got a day out of mine.  For the job it had to do I was very pleased.    I can certainly see the desire in this new CPU for home servers etc.  I am just setting up my first NAS now (previously ran a win7 box and just shared drives), the system is a little under powered and the thought of buying new hardware is exciting.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

• 1 month later...

I want to see this in a laptop too. I've got the GPD Pocket, and I love it as a portable programming workstation. But more cores would be awesome. I really want netbooks to be a thing again, and I want to see 8+ cores in them, even if they're low-powered Atom cores.

Dr Zaber Sentry: i7-7700K, GTX 1080, 32GB DDR4, 250GB M.2, 1080p@240Hz, Windows 10 Pro

GPD Pocket: x7-Z8750, HD Graphics 405, 8GB LPDDR3, 128GB eMMC, Windows 10 Pro

Sony Xperia XZ1 Compact / Unihertz Jelly Pro

On 2017-08-22 at 3:46 PM, mariushm said:

you could also spend $100 o n ryzen 3 1200, oc it, buy ddr4 memory with ecc support and spend 100$ per 10gbps card and probably get better performance.

And much higher power consumption, and far bigger size, and chances are it would perform worse in a lot of workloads including but not limited to all the crypto acceleration that this Atom chip has, which you would need Ryzen Pro to get somewhat feature parity with.

On 8/21/2017 at 10:57 PM, Hunter259 said:

The new atom's are actually pretty damn good. I have one in my tablet and it flys through windows 10 64bit. 

Can it run Crysis?

I was about to say this is old news, then I realised it's an older thread.

Wut? Mobile rendering laptop?

CPU: i7-2600K 4751MHz 1.44V (software) --> 1.47V at the back of the socket Motherboard: Asrock Z77 Extreme4 (BCLK: 103.3MHz) CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 RAM: Adata XPG 2x8GB DDR3 (XMP: 2133MHz 10-11-11-30 CR2, custom: 2203MHz 10-11-10-26 CR1 tRFC:230 tREFI:14000) GPU: Asus GTX 1070 Dual (Super Jetstream vbios, +70(2025-2088MHz)/+400(8.8Gbps)) SSD: Samsung 840 Pro 256GB (main boot drive), Transcend SSD370 128GB PSU: Seasonic X-660 80+ Gold Case: Antec P110 Silent, 5 intakes 1 exhaust Monitor: AOC G2460PF 1080p 144Hz (150Hz max w/ DP, 121Hz max w/ HDMI) TN panel Keyboard: Logitech G610 Orion (Cherry MX Blue) with SteelSeries Apex M260 keycaps Mouse: BenQ Zowie FK1

Model: HP Omen 17 17-an110ca CPU: i7-8750H (0.125V core & cache, 50mV SA undervolt) GPU: GTX 1060 6GB Mobile (+80/+450, 1650MHz~1750MHz 0.78V~0.85V) RAM: 8+8GB DDR4-2400 18-17-17-39 2T Storage: HP EX920 1TB PCIe x4 M.2 SSD + Crucial MX500 1TB 2.5" SATA SSD, 128GB Toshiba PCIe x2 M.2 SSD (KBG30ZMV128G) gone cooking externally, 1TB Seagate 7200RPM 2.5" HDD (ST1000LM049-2GH172) left outside Monitor: 1080p 126Hz IPS G-sync

Desktop benching:

Cinebench R15 Single thread:168 Multi-thread: 833 

SuperPi (v1.5 from Techpowerup, PI value output) 16K: 0.100s 1M: 8.255s 32M: 7m 45.93s

actually ATOM cores have lower IPCs than intel standard iseries cores. Theres a whole lot of differences here but ill list a few.

1) simpler (more like ARM rather than x86, simpler decoder less in CPU units)

2) less math (while even logics area slower the math performance is also slower too, a lot slower as this is one thing that takes a lot of power and heat)

3) less in busses and features (CPU has less features, slower busses, chipset too)

So for those looking to use it for some serious stuff its going to be a let down.

Some uses for atom based servers

- webserver

- monitoring server

- storage server

- media server that doesnt do live transcode or uses hardware based transcode

Some uses that arent suited

- render farm (not even GPGPU)

- plex (if you plan on live transcodes)

- game servers