Asus Zenith Extreme

NumLock21
25 minutes ago, Jito463 said:

Looks like one to me (under the spoiler tag).

As @Dash Lambda already pointed out, the 24 from the chipset on X299 will be effectively limited to x4 (same as what TR offers from their chipset).  Meaning the 10+ core chips will have an effective 48 PCIe lanes (68 actual) versus 64 on TR.

Yes there is an SLI bridge but not the awesome looking ROG SLI briddge with flashy LED

https://www.asus.com/Graphics-Cards-Accessory/ROG-SLI-HB-BRIDGE/

7 minutes ago, deXxterlab97 said:

Yes there is an SLI bridge but not the awesome looking ROG SLI briddge with flashy LED

My bad, I just saw "SLI bridge" and didn't realize you meant a specific version of it.

1 hour ago, Jito463 said:

Looks like one to me (under the spoiler tag).

As @Dash Lambda already pointed out, the 24 from the chipset on X299 will be effectively limited to x4 (same as what TR offers from their chipset).  Meaning the 10+ core chips will have an effective 48 PCIe lanes (68 actual) versus 64 on TR.

Ya but TR like Ryzen even has very little running thru the chipset. Really believe why Ryzen is a smoother playing e penitence than my 6700k.

5 hours ago, leadeater said:

I use two GPUs (32 lanes), might want 4 NVME (16 lanes), and I have a 10Gbe NIC (8 lanes). 32 + 16 + 8 = 56 so cutting close even on TR so if I add anything else I could exceed 60 lanes dropping some slots down, if they don't already depending on how motherboard makers assign lanes to slots based on what is populated like they do now on every Intel board because they have to.

How much of a performance hit is there going from x16 to x8 in current compute heavy workloads? Is it the full 50% or are current cards unable to maximize bandwidth usage?

4 hours ago, ravenshrike said:

How much of a performance hit is there going from x16 to x8 in current compute heavy workloads? Is it the full 50% or are current cards unable to maximize bandwidth usage?

Well if we keep the discussion to gaming there is no difference between PCIe 3.0 x8 and x16 for GPU performance, most cards don't push the limits of PCIe 2.0 x16 and it's only recently that x8 would have a real meaningful impact on performance.

http://www.gamersnexus.net/guides/2488-pci-e-3-x8-vs-x16-performance-impact-on-gpus

The issues around PCIe lanes is more to do with design choices by motherboard manufacturers with how they switch lanes between slots or disable slots depending on installed configuration by the user. The issues I have with PCIe lanes doesn't really have much to do with GPUs, I'd rather have my GPUs drop to x8 than have a slot be disabled or drop to x4 just to keep one at x16.

I'm still on X79 (40 lanes) and I avoid the problems by using a server to externalize my storage, X99 would have the same problems for me or slightly worse since that platform actually has M.2 NVMe and U.2 NVMe.

Realistically on current high end Intel motherboards there are only 4 usable PCIe slots for someone using the platform as marketed, not a glorified gaming system. I'm the type of person who actually wants to be able to expand the system after purchase by adding more devices not replacing them. If I buy a 512GB NVMe because that's what I might need now and not a 2TB because I might need that later I still want to be able to get to the 2TB by using 4 NVMe drives in a storage pool. Also price over time goes down so I would have spent less than getting the single 2TB, I'm not doing it for performance it just makes better economic sense to get what you need not what you might need.

Intel really has lost their way with the enthusiast platform, the idea of a single storage device just wasn't a thing back in the day or even two maximum. People would be running 4-8 WD VelociRaptors either on onbaord SATA controllers or using hardware RAID cards and they would have multiple GPUs. Why is it that we have 6-12 SATA ports and usually only 2 NVMe ports? PCIe lanes.

Come on Asus two M.2 slots on a riser + 1 U.2? Everyone else has 3 M.2 and ASRock even has a U.2 port for a 4th NVMe device.

For HPC compute type stuff TL;DR yes bandwidth always matters, depends on workload/algorithms etc etc but more is always better. That's why NVLink exists.

Edit:

And no, 24 lanes from the X299 chipset isn't worth shit for NVMe devices or 10Gb NICs.

11 minutes ago, huilun02 said:

The 1920X is 12 cores and revealed to cost $800. There will be a 10 core chip. And yes, with all pcie lanes intact. 

Their will be no 10 core or 14 core parts.

if you want to annoy me, then join my teamspeak server ts.benja.cc

7 minutes ago, Leshya said:

Is there a reference or something for this?

AMD a while ago said they will keep CCX's balanced to insure consistency across products, software and software optimization. That was in reference to Ryzen but there is no reason for that to change for Threadripper.

So two dies and four CCX's means the lowest configuration that fits that requirement is actually 4 cores, why you would do a 4 core I don't know. Next is 8 cores then 12 then 16.

1 minute ago, Leshya said:

Is there a reference or something for this?

The recent leaks only Deen showing 12 and 16 core CPUs.

The alianware PC has stated to only be using 12 and 16 core thread rippers.

Ryzen and epyc only use balanced ccx configurations, Ryzen count divisible by 2 and epyc is divisible by 8.

AMD said all Ryzen CPUs will be balanced.

So this all points to Threadripper being divisible by 4, meaning it can only be 4, 8, 12, 16 cores.

Their pricing also leaves no room for a 14c part

if you want to annoy me, then join my teamspeak server ts.benja.cc

That's awesoe looking, great package of accessories too. Sweet motherboard. 

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

On ‎2017‎.‎07‎.‎21‎. at 11:53 PM, Clanscorpia said:

Intel will x299 has more PCIe lanes though??? The chipset has 24 and the 10 core has 44 so even the lowest i9 has more PCIe lanes

those 24 lanes from chipset come out of PLX that is fed with only 4 lanes from CPU....

PLX lanes is not the same as CPU lanes...

Threadripper will also have 4 lanes going to chipset for all we know MSI, Gigabyte and ASUS might as well spit out 24 lanes from chipset

CPU: Intel i7 5820K @ 4.20 GHz | MotherboardMSI X99S SLI PLUS | RAM: Corsair LPX 16GB DDR4 @ 2666MHz | GPU: Sapphire R9 Fury (x2 CrossFire)
Storage: Samsung 950Pro 512GB // OCZ Vector150 240GB // Seagate 1TB | PSU: Seasonic 1050 Snow Silent | Case: NZXT H440 | Cooling: Nepton 240M
FireStrike // Extreme // Ultra // 8K // 16K

On ‎2017‎.‎07‎.‎22‎. at 5:31 AM, deXxterlab97 said:

that SLI bridge also has ROG branding on it... and why would you even want an SLI bridge? XDMA all the way !!!

CPU: Intel i7 5820K @ 4.20 GHz | MotherboardMSI X99S SLI PLUS | RAM: Corsair LPX 16GB DDR4 @ 2666MHz | GPU: Sapphire R9 Fury (x2 CrossFire)
Storage: Samsung 950Pro 512GB // OCZ Vector150 240GB // Seagate 1TB | PSU: Seasonic 1050 Snow Silent | Case: NZXT H440 | Cooling: Nepton 240M

On 21/07/2017 at 4:27 PM, Jaxzzzzz said:

How many lanes will threadripper have again?

4 minutes ago, DXMember said:

that SLI bridge also has ROG branding on it... and why would you even want an SLI bridge? XDMA all the way !!!

NO RGB!!!!!!!!!!!! 

9 hours ago, deXxterlab97 said:

NO RGB!!!!!!!!!!!! 

XDMA !!!!

On 7/22/2017 at 7:51 AM, huilun02 said:

The 1920X is 12 cores and revealed to cost $800. There will be a 10 core chip. And yes, with all pcie lanes intact. 

Shit might even be a 8C Thread Ripper!

This board will most likely going to be replacement of my X79 motherboard.

On 7/22/2017 at 8:11 AM, leadeater said:

why you would do a 4 core I don't know. 

For the same reason that an 8-core Epyc is rumored?

Because why not

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

3 minutes ago, djdwosk97 said:

For the same reason that an 8-core Epyc is rumored?

It's confirmed.

The Octocore EPYC exists for memory bandwidth and PCIe capacity when core count is largely irrelevant.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

On 7/21/2017 at 4:53 PM, Clanscorpia said:

Intel will x299 has more PCIe lanes though??? The chipset has 24 and the 10 core has 44 so even the lowest i9 has more PCIe lanes

Not on the chip though. Significant differences when going through chipset. There was a great ask GN episode that covered it:

Skip to 1:01

On 7/21/2017 at 1:26 PM, BuckGup said:

Wait tf is that Dimm.2 thing? Is it PCIE X4 speeds or greater? 

It will go up to 8x bandwidth due to the presence of 2 M.2 ports on the DIMM.2

DIMM.2 from Asus is basically a special card that can host two M.2 devices and slots into a special port, much like you would slot in system memory.

RIGZ

Spoiler

Starlight (Current): AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 12-core CPU | EVGA GeForce RTX 2080 Ti Black Edition | Gigabyte X570 Aorus Ultra | Full Custom Loop | 32GB (4x8GB) Dominator Platinum SE Blackout #338/500 | 1TB + 2TB M.2 NVMe PCIe 4.0 SSDs, 480GB SATA 2.5" SSD, 8TB 7200 RPM NAS HDD | EVGA NU Audio | Corsair 900D | Corsair AX1200i | Corsair ML120 2-pack 5x + ML140 2-pack

The Storm (Retired): Intel Core i7-5930K | Asus ROG STRIX GeForce GTX 1080 Ti | Asus ROG RAMPAGE V EDITION 10 | EKWB EK-KIT P360 with Hardware Labs Black Ice SR2 Multiport 480 | 32GB (4x8GB) Dominator Platinum SE Blackout #338/500 | 480GB SATA 2.5" SSD + 3TB 5400 RPM NAS HDD + 8TB 7200 RPM NAS HDD | Corsair 900D | Corsair AX1200i + Black/Blue CableMod cables | Corsair ML120 2-pack 2x + NB-BlackSilentPro PL-2 x3

STRONK COOLZ 9000

Spoiler

EK-Quantum Momentum X570 Aorus Master monoblock | EK-FC RTX 2080 + Ti Classic RGB Waterblock and Backplate | EK-XRES 140 D5 PWM Pump/Res Combo | 2x Hardware Labs Black Ice SR2 480 MP and 1x SR2 240 MP | 10X Corsair ML120 PWM fans | A mixture of EK-KIT fittings and EK-Torque STC fittings and adapters | Mayhems 10/13mm clear tubing | Mayhems X1 Eco UV Blue coolant | Bitspower G1/4 Temperature Probe Fitting

DESK TOIS

Spoiler

Glorious Modular Mechanical Keyboard | Glorious Model D Featherweight Mouse | 2x BenQ PD3200Q 32" 1440p IPS displays + BenQ BL3200PT 32" 1440p VA display | Mackie ProFX10v3 USB Mixer + Marantz MPM-1000 Mic | Sennheiser HD 598 SE Headphones | 2x ADAM Audio T5V 5" Powered Studio Monitors + ADAM Audio T10S Powered Studio Subwoofer | Logitech G920 Driving Force Steering Wheel and Pedal Kit + Driving Force Shifter | Logitech C922x 720p 60FPS Webcam | Xbox One Wireless Controller

QUOTES

Spoiler

"So because they didn't give you the results you want, they're biased? You realize that makes you biased, right?" - @App4that

"Brand loyalty/fanboyism is stupid." - Unknown person on these forums

"Assuming kills" - @Moondrelor

"That's not to say that Nvidia is always better, or that AMD isn't worth owning. But the fact remains that this forum is AMD biased." - @App4that

"I'd imagine there's exceptions to this trend - but just going on mine and my acquaintances' purchase history, we've found that budget cards often require you to turn off certain features to get slick performance, even though those technologies are previous gen and should be having a negligible impact" - ace42

"2K" is not 2560 x 1440 

On 7/22/2017 at 2:27 AM, Jaxzzzzz said:

How many lanes will threadripper have again?

64?