No more unboxings in Linus Tech Tips in 2014?

LinusTech

Closing this thread since I'll no longer be monitoring it. I've read through all the feedback and will carefully consider it. Thanks so much guys.

I'm not turning this thread into a poll because I intend to carefully read the replies of every single person who posts in the next couple of days.

I won't make a decision like this without consulting the community that made us one of the top technology channels on YouTube.

I am considering completely abandoning unboxings in 2014 to focus on reviews, guides, Tech Quickie, and our upcoming daily news show.

What this means first of all is LESS CONTENT. Unboxings take a fraction as long as all that other stuff, so we won't be able to cover nearly the breadth of products that we used to do...

What it also means is MORE QUALITY and MORE FOCUS. We'll be able to really spend time getting familiar with things before we show it to you and really zone in on the stuff that we feel is most relevant, exciting and interesting.

Please let me know your thoughts.

Oh no no, you gotta keep those unboxing coming. :P I appreciate that you'd like to branch out, but you can't forget where you started from.

That being said, it's not like I'd unsub if you decide to do that. We all <3 you.

EDIT: Now that I read your post in-depth, if you keep more content coming about actual products then I think I'd be fine. :)

Edited by Vettexl

GW2: Vettexl.9726

sounds good

CPU: i7-4770k @stock  GPU: Gigabyte Windforce GTX 780ti OC  MotherBoard: Gigabyte GA-Z87X-UD4H  RAM: Corsair Vengeance Pro (1600 MHz, 2x8GB)

CPU Cooler: Stock Cooler  Storage: Samsung 840 Pro 2x256gb(OS/Games), 1TB Seagate Barracuda(storage)  PSU: Corsair AX860i

Case: Corsair Obsidian 750D Mouse: Roccat Kone XTD Keyboard: Corsair Vengeance K70

I think it's great. Unboxings are often boring, you end up spending a lot of time trying to figure out ways to make it more exciting. Integrating them into the reviews or not doing them at all is completely fine. I'd certainly rather have more quality videos than spend my days watching 3 minute unboxing videos of random stuff. LTT has evolved a lot since the days it was basically JUST unboxings, and should now evolve further and be JUST about great content. 

CPU i5 4430 3Ghz | Ram: 16GB DDR3 1600 | GPU: GTX 650 Ti 1GB | Mobo: H87N-Wifi | Case: White Bitfenix Prodigy | Boot Drive: 120GB 840 Evo (Mac OS X) 120gb OCZ Vertex 3 (Windows) | Games Drive: 640GB WD Green | OS: Windows 8 & OS X 10.9.1

I love all technology. The perfection of macs for my designer side, and the hardware and fun of tinkering on the of the pc side. We can have it all, just not at the same time.

Unboxings/in depth reviews are where it's at, plus all of your other content. I would like more in depth reviews on some things like laptops and tablets etc. :)

Motherboard - Gigabyte P67A-UD5 Processor - Intel Core i7-2600K RAM - G.Skill Ripjaws @1600 8GB Graphics Cards  - MSI and EVGA GeForce GTX 580 SLI PSU - Cooler Master Silent Pro 1,000w SSD - OCZ Vertex 3 120GB x2 HDD - WD Caviar Black 1TB Case - Corsair Obsidian 600D Audio - Asus Xonar DG

Hail Sithis!

Well... I wouldn't really like if you completely abandoned unboxinigs, but you could do less of them. I had always liked when you mixed the reviews and the unboxings into one video (when you talk the first time and slick the second part).  

[OS - Windows 7 Home Premium (64 bit)] [CPU - Intel i7 920 @ 2.67GHz] [GPU - EVGA Nvidia GTX 660 2 GB] [RAM - 6GB RAM @ 1066MHz] [HDD - 320GB WD Caviar Blue] [HDD - Hitatchi Deskstar 230GB] [HDD - Seagate Barracuda 1TB] [PSU - Corsair TX 750M PSU] [Monitors - Dell ST2310 23" (1920x1080), Dell SE198WFP 19" (1440x900), Acer S201HL 20" (1600x900)] [Case - NZXT Phantom 410 in Gunmetal]

I would be okay if you just make a few less video weekly. Like on Fridays there would be a short not unboxing. Also sometimes slightly longer Tech Quickies, instead of unboxings.

P.S. Please reply to my email. :)

Quote me to get a reply!

stop doing unboxings, but instead in your reviews you can just quickly mention what comes in the box

CPU: AMD FX-8350 CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 8GB 1866Mhz GPU: Nvidia EVGA GTX 780 3GB MOBO: ASUS Crosshair V Formula-Z

Storage: Samsung EVO 250gb, Kingston HyperX 3K 120gb, WD 1TB Black Series PSU: EVGA NEX650G Case: NZXT H440 Black/Red Sound: Creative Sound Blaster ZxR

I am considering completely abandoning unboxings in 2014 to focus on reviews, guides, Tech Quickie, and our upcoming daily news show.

I'd actually be down for this. I can read specs and there are plenty of other unboxings that provide similar enough content to work as a substitute for the absence of your own if it allows for a greater amount of more unique content and a better more defined niche. 

I would probably go for a large decrease in unboxing rather than abandon it all together, that way the more new and interesting products can still be displayed rather than anything everyone requests including your cat. 

i.e. things like the Shadow rock, pebble, O2 can be unboxed and things like cases, graphics cards, keyboards, hard drives etc. can be ignored. 

Error: 410

I find unboxings to be a waste of time.  If you really want to see one go check out another channel.  It would be much better if Linus focused more on the in-depth stuff and left the unboxings to other people.

Linux "nerd".  If I helped you please like my post and maybe add me as a friend :)  ^_^!

Linus I love your unboxings, Also I might be the only person, but I love the unprofessional approach at things. I like the laid back stuff and things like that. You could just not do them as often, but daily news show sounds awesome and I can't wait for next year!

I love you linus...Just thought I would let you know (No homo, Wait, maybe a little bit)

Hope I could help!

Specs: CPU: AMD FX-8320 @4.0ghz GPU: ASUS DCUII GTX 770 PSU: EVGA Supernova 750g CASE: Fractal Define R4 RAM: 8 Gigabytes ADATA 1333 Mhz MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-990FXA-UD3

I like the unboxings, it's the original reason I subscribed to LTT, when looking at products to buy I loved watching unboxing/first impression videos

Case: NZXT H440 | CPU: i5 4670K @ 4.5 GHz | GPU: MSI 970, Kraken G10 | Mobo: ASRock Z97 Extreme3 | Cooler: H100i | PSU: Corsair AX750 w/ Sleeved Cables | Display: 3xBenQ RL2455M | Fans: 5xNoctua NF-F12, 1xBitFenix Spectre |

I dont think you should completely abandon the idea of unboxings, but just not make them into single videos. Include a portion of the unboxing in review videos, perhaps as b-roll footage while going over specifications and details.

4690k | Asus Maximus vii hero | Corsair Vengeance Pro 8gb 2133mhz | EVGA GTX 780ti Reference | 120gb intel 530 ssd | 1tb WD black | 1tb WD Green | EVGA 750G2 | Corsair Air 540 | G502 | G240 | BenQ XL2411Z | K70 RGB

Team Robbo - Rest In Peace

OnePlus One owner

Personally i dont check out unboxings, they give me nothing.
Sometimes it may be fun to see how a product looks like, but no more.

Teck quickie is better, just showing a box and how to open it isnt worth putting time into in my opinion.

Or more extensive reviews with a conclusion to make something out of.

Sorry for bad english

I really enjoy the your unboxings for the informative side, as well as the often comedic value. That being said, it's not as if I'd quit watching if you did decide to discontinue the unboxing videos; I do like the unboxings though.

EDIT: I am on the fence, I enjoy your unboxings in particular, but improved quality and quantity of reviews and demos might be nice. I can always view unboxings from one of the many other sources out there-as previously stated.

PC: Ryzen 5 2600 // 16 GB Corsair 3200 // MSI RX 580 8 GB // 500 GB WD Blue M.2 (sata) // Silverstone Raven RVZ03B // Fedora 33

LAPTOP: i7 5700HQ // 16 GB Kingston 1866 // GTX 970M // 250 GB Samsung 850 EVO M.2 // 1 TB HDD // Windows 10

ETC: (2) Dell U2515H (2560x1440) // Corsair K63 // Logitech G603 // FiiO E10 // Beyerdynamic DT 770 PRO (250 ohm) // Audio Technica ATH-M60x

YES! I said that you should do this when you asked a while back. Unboxings are fine and dandy but I've found over the years you started talking less about your own thoughts on actual quality and more of just plain first sight observations. I haven't heard you say anything negative about the build quality of a product for a long time, but this is some of the most critical info people are watching for. Rather than just saying "this GPU uses a dual fan design" or "comes with dual molex to 8pin" or some other stuff, it would be more helpful if you took more time with the product and gave an honest opinion (that means pros AND cons)

Honestly I think there's too much content being produced right now, to the point where I don't know what I want to watch. Please focus on the larger products but take more time with them to give us a better idea. I know other people do reviews as well but people watch them not only because it's a review, but also your personality

I find unboxings to be a waste of time.  If you really want to see one go check out another channel.  It would be much better if Linus focused more on the in-depth stuff and left the unboxings to other people.

Completely agree, especially considering how knowledgeable you are. 

Personally, the unboxings really help me choose products, and without them it would become much harder to decide on a certain product.

I think that the unboxings bring a whole ton of views in, as well as popularity for the channel itself.

I would strongly disagree, but I am open to reasoning why they should go away.