No more unboxings in Linus Tech Tips in 2014?

LinusTech

I don't post much on here, mostly a lurker but I logged in just to say keep the unboxings.

When something new comes out I'm interested in, you're the first place I look.

Thanks Linus,

Johnny

I need the unboxings doe

seriously though, I would like unboxings on truly new technology, things like flagship smartphones, new motherboards (high end please, maybe mid-range that offer new stuff), graphics cards, and stuff like that.

kinda tired of the obscure unboxings unless they are something like the stinky footboard where they present an interesting usage scenario

also more headphones recommended by our Audio subforum users please

I personally hate "unboxings" and that's why I started watching your content years ago now. It's common practice for me to skip the unboxing completely on products you showcase like graphics cards because every single box contains the same coaster, I mean driver CD, and adapters. I fully support you abandoning the unboxings and getting straight into the info we all want/need.

I love the unboxing but I see what your going with. But I think you souldnt abandon unboxings In genral just make less unboxing vids

I think that this would be good, I like unboxings, but I LOVE reviews! Thanks for being the best Linus!

My PC:

CPU: Xeon E3 1230 V3(Haswell) @ 3.7GHz Motherboard: AsRock B85M-ITX RAM: 8GB Corsair Vengeance LP Blue @ 1600MHz Storage: Intel 520 Series 120(Boot), Seagate Barracuda 500GB @ 7200RPM, Western Digital Caviar Green 1TB @ 5400RPM GPU: ZOTAC GTX 970 @ 1.4GHz Case: Node 304 Power Supply: CX430

Well if you imply more demos of the product itself, more benchmarks, comparisons, and quality tests of it into the video, then I'm for it.

Indeed. But maybe not no more unboxings, maybe once a month or so would be cool. 

I believe you should keep unboxing because you guys truly do them right, unlike 90% of you tubers

but but i like the unboxings. can u do your normal unboxing and add a personal in depth review??? at least keep the unboxings though

Yeah, as long as we still get the benchmarks and know what important computer stuff (Top of the line GPU, processors ect.) is coming out I am good for that. 

And as long as Linus licks a box every once in a while.  :D

Desktop: Intel Core i7-6700K, ASUS Z170-A, ASUS STRIX GTX 1080 Ti, 16GB DDR4 RAM, 512 GB Samsund 840 Pro, Seasonic X series 650W PSU, Fractal Design Define R4, 2x5TB HDD

Hypervisor 1: Intel Xeon E5-2630L, ASRock EPC612D8, 16GB DDR4 ECC RAM, Intel RT3WB080 8-port RAID controller plus expansion card, Norco RPC-4020 case, 20x2TB WD Red HDD

Other spare hypervisors: Dell Poweredge 2950, HP Proliant DL380 G5

Laptops: ThinkPads, lots of ThinkPads

If it is possible, maybe you could shoot a quick impressions/unboxing video first, put it aside, do the video you want to after the product(s) have been tested, and make a poll if people would like to see your first impressions/unboxing. If more people want it then you could release the first impressions/unboxing video as well, although every video would probably get voted to have the first impressions/unboxing video released.

While I would miss having so much LTT content I think it would be a good idea to cut back a bit on the amount of content you guys create so you can focus more on the other content.

-The Bellerophon- Obsidian 550D-i5-3570k@4.5Ghz -Asus Sabertooth Z77-16GB Corsair Dominator Platinum 1866Mhz-x2 EVGA GTX 760 Dual FTW 4GB-Creative Sound Blaster XF-i Titanium-OCZ Vertex Plus 120GB-Seagate Barracuda 2TB- https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/60154-the-not-really-a-build-log-build-log/ Twofold http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/121043-twofold-a-dual-itx-system/ How great is EVGA? http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/110662-evga-how-great-are-they/#entry1478299

I enjoy unboxings as they give you a quick insight into newer products, and they keep you up to date with product releases.

But product reviews are good for in depth looks into products.

Maybe group unboxings of similar products?

I'm just a soul who is up to no good.

Either way. I don't mind not to have as many unboxings but maybe once a week would be nice, and have Slick or even have your other interns do a cameo unboxing (just trying to spice it up). However, i do like the more quality and more focus videos, they are more informative.

I do would like to see more reviews, and in depth content, but are unboxings and reviews mutually exclusive?
I would like to see reviews, yes, but a few unboxings here and there wont hurt anyone, and as you said, those kinds of videos don't take that long to make.
Sorry if I didn't make myself clear, English it's not my first language and it's hard for me to express a complicated idea  :P

I love Linus' approach when he does overviews/reviews/unboxings/product showcases and such. I don't think (for me at least) he can go wrong with changing things up a bit because it's his approach that keeps me coming back :) Love you Linus :D

Motherboard - Gigabyte P67A-UD5 Processor - Intel Core i7-2600K RAM - G.Skill Ripjaws @1600 8GB Graphics Cards  - MSI and EVGA GeForce GTX 580 SLI PSU - Cooler Master Silent Pro 1,000w SSD - OCZ Vertex 3 120GB x2 HDD - WD Caviar Black 1TB Case - Corsair Obsidian 600D Audio - Asus Xonar DG

Hail Sithis!

perhaps you could make a interesting releases of the week type video. i mainly use the unboxing videos just to see whats new and then skip to the end to see the benchmarks.   

I actually like the unboxings, Linus is the first person I search to see if there's a unboxing for a product that I am looking for.

CPU: Intel core i5 3570 Motherboard: Gigabyte-H77-DS3H Case: Fractal Design Define R4 Storage: Seagate Barracuda 2TB  GPU: MSI Radeon HD 7950 Twin Frozr III Cooler: CM Hyper 212 Evo RAM: Crucial Ballistix Sport 16GB  PSU: Seasonic G Series 550W

Acer Aspire S7 Overview Sennheiser PC360

As far as taking stuff out the box and showing whats in the box you can cut all that but keep the part where you actually go over the product. Like for the graphic cards its nice to hear opinions on the overall design and specs of the card. The part of you showing the display ports is a useless part lol

Linus, as a big fan of yours since a long time ago, I would say no to the abandoning of unboxings, this is because your unboxings is what appeals to a wider audience, simple as that. Your unboxings are different from many youtubers who unbox as well, but think about. Go through just some of your UNBOXING videos and compare them to other youtubers who unbox the same thing. You can clearly see that you beat them in terms of views and there's a reason why. Its because you are very good at doing unboxings and I think abandoning unboxings would make your audience much less. Also it would be a waste your unboxing talents, as stupid as it sounds. I cannot emphasize enough how well you unbox items and lets just say you stop your unboxing videos, how would you recover from the amount of viewers you lose? I personally feel that it would be difficult because I'm pretty sure majority of your viewers don't exactly have an interest in overclocking graphics cards and seeing the results or comparing products. I think majority of your viewers like to see the new products that come to the market and to have YOU to unbox is what makes the viewing of the product even better. For me to say that your channel will become even better after you drop the unboxing videos is really tough but I hope you make the right decision :) been a fan since you rapped about the razer mamba when it first came in your razer carcharias and mamba unboxing haha (the Mamba no. 5) and seeing you stop unboxing would actually make kind of sadden me haha. 

Note : by the way if you need help I stay in Vancouver so if man power is what you lack just contact me haha

I personally love the unboxings. You always seem to throw in your two cents about whatever it is along with the box contents.

Also, what would you do with your "Professional Unboxing" shirt if you stopped the unboxings?

Case: Fractal Design Define R4 (Windowed Black Pearl) CPU: i5 4670kCooler: Corsair H100i | MOBO: ASUS Maximus VI Formula | Graphics: EVGA GTX 780 FTW | Memory: G.Skill Sniper Series 8GB (2x4GB) 1866 | Storage: 120GB Samsung Evo SSD + WD Black 1TB | PSU: Seasonic 760W 80+ Platinum ODD: ASUS Blu-Ray Drive

Maybe do reviews and guides for the product you are unboxing? 

do unboxings just dont make it detailed on the specs and benchmarks, we just wanna see you open a box =D

That is an utter waste of time for him to make a video for that.  He wants to separate himself from the hundreds of unboxing-based channels.

I don't think you should abandon them because lots of people can only see items in your videos there is no other way to see them because of the ever decreasing amount of shops. Also there may be other you tube channels we could go to to see these we want linus and to support you.