PCIe 4.0 *FINALLY* Finalized

Sniperfox47

Not sure how we got a post about the 5.0 announcement but somehow missed that the 4.0 spec is finalized after sitting in limbo for a long time.

http://techreport.com/news/32064/pcie-4-0-specification-finally-out-with-16-gt-s-on-tap

Although it started as a key I/O component in PCs, PCIe now serves as the interconnect for any number of devices, including those in the server, storage, and mobile markets. The full details of the new specification haven't yet been published on the consortium's website, but we're told that it doubles the per-pin bandwidth of the previous generation, offering 16 GT/s data rates.

While full details aren't yet available for the final spec, the details we do have so far are pretty juicy. Huge sweeping changes to the PHY layer should lead to better latency and much lower power use, so there's the possibility we could start to see this in high end ARM devices.

With 5.0 being officially announced at the same time, with a planned release in just two years it'll be interesting to see if AMD or Intel even bother to impliment this on the consumer side of things.

The PCIe 4.0 specification still needs to undergo a final IP review, but the PCI-SIG claims that the interconnect is ready to go. Prior to the publication of the spec, the SIG had already been doing compliance testing with a variety of its members, and it claims that a number of 16 GT/s solutions have already been worked out. Perhaps we'll see products using the new spec make their way to shelves sooner than later.

Products with it are on their way but keep in mind a lot of these are likely Enterprise products for high end servers where existing PCIe 3.0 interconnects are being fully loaded. I'd be really shocked if there's anything on the consumer side coming Immediately.

IMO the real question is when will we start seeing PCIe 4.0 capable devices?

Quote me to see my reply!

SPECS:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700X Motherboard: MSI B450-A Pro Max RAM: 32GB I forget GPU: MSI Vega 56 Storage: 256GB NVMe boot, 512GB Samsung 850 Pro, 1TB WD Blue SSD, 1TB WD Blue HDD PSU: Inwin P85 850w Case: Fractal Design Define C Cooling: Stock for CPU, be quiet! case fans, Morpheus Vega w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 2 for GPU Monitor: 3x Thinkvision P24Q on a Steelcase Eyesite triple monitor stand Mouse: Logitech MX Master 3 Keyboard: Focus FK-9000 (heavily modded) Mousepad: Aliexpress cat special Headphones:  Sennheiser HD598SE and Sony Linkbuds

🏳️‍🌈

2 minutes ago, Sniperfox47 said:

it'll be interesting to see if AMD or Intel even bother to impliment this on the consumer side of things.

what, pray tell, could even output that sort of bandwidth on consumer level devices at 16x 3.0, let alone 4.0...?

[FS][US] Corsair H115i 280mm AIO-AMD $60+shipping

System specs:
Asus Prime X370 Pro - Custom EKWB CPU/GPU 2x360 1x240 soft loop - Ryzen 1700X - Corsair Vengeance RGB 2x16GB - Plextor 512 NVMe + 2TB SU800 - EVGA GTX1080ti - LianLi PC11 Dynamic

Just now, kelvinhall05 said:

They're coming out imminently. Next few months. That being said they're not likely consumer level devices, more devices meant for high scale servers.

Just now, knightslugger said:

what, pray tell, could even output that sort of bandwidth on consumer level devices at 16x 3.0, let alone 4.0...?

The benefit on the consumer side is using less lanes for existing devices. For example high end SSDs with full speed out of 2 lanes instead of 4. 20 PCIe 4.0 lanes will be easier to implement than 40 PCIe 3.0 lanes.

Some chips were already taped out with PCIe 4.0 support based on the 0.7 revision of the spec. So the first enterprise products with PCIe 4.0 should not be far off.

Will take longer for the consumer market, obviously. And I'm worried about the limitations on trace length (or needing repeaters). Could make motherboards more expensive or limit adoption.

3 minutes ago, Sniperfox47 said:

The benefit on the consumer side is using less lanes for existing devices. For example high end SSDs with full speed out of 2 lanes instead of 4. 20 PCIe 4.0 lanes will be easier to implement than 40 PCIe 3.0 lanes.

we don't even use them all anyway!

System specs:
Asus Prime X370 Pro - Custom EKWB CPU/GPU 2x360 1x240 soft loop - Ryzen 1700X - Corsair Vengeance RGB 2x16GB - Plextor 512 NVMe + 2TB SU800 - EVGA GTX1080ti - LianLi PC11 Dynamic

1 minute ago, Sakkura said:

Some chips were already taped out with PCIe 4.0 support based on the 0.7 revision of the spec. So the first enterprise products with PCIe 4.0 should not be far off.

Will take longer for the consumer market, obviously. And I'm worried about the limitations on trace length (or needing repeaters). Could make motherboards more expensive or limit adoption.

I thought that's part of why they underwent such massive changes to the PHY tuning and tweaking things and it wound up delayed so long, specifically so they could take care of some of the signal issues?

Just now, Sniperfox47 said:

I thought that's part of why they underwent such massive changes to the PHY tuning and tweaking things and it wound up delayed so long, specifically so they could take care of some of the signal issues?

Sure, but trace lengths still can't be as long as PCIe 3.0.

1 minute ago, Sakkura said:

moar powah!

System specs:

4 minutes ago, Sakkura said:

I'll keep living in my sci-fi fantasy where we get optical traces on the motherboard for PCIe so they can be pretty much as long as we want.

And before you say that would be even more expensive, I don't care xP optical traces would be cool.

13 minutes ago, knightslugger said:

Using less lanes would be an advantage if AMD and Intel can add support soon.

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K

CPU Cooler: be quiet! - PURE ROCK 
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 
Motherboard: ASRock Z370 Extreme4
Memory: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 2x8GB 3200/14
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive 
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive
Storage: Western Digital - BLACK SERIES 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: EVGA - 970 SSC ACX (1080 is in RMA)
Case: Fractal Design - Define R5 w/Window (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA P2 750W with CableMod blue/black Pro Series
Optical Drive: LG - WH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer 
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit and Linux Mint Serena
Keyboard: Logitech - G910 Orion Spectrum RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: Logitech - G502 Wired Optical Mouse
Headphones: Logitech - G430 7.1 Channel  Headset
Speakers: Logitech - Z506 155W 5.1ch Speakers

26 minutes ago, kelvinhall05 said:

Mid-2018 seems likely. One of the SSD makers has it on the roadmap for Q4`2018

4 minutes ago, Taf the Ghost said:

Mid-2018 seems likely. One of the SSD makers has it on the roadmap for Q4`2018

The PCIe SIG said in their announcement of 4 being finalized that they have a number of partners ready to release products already after a final review.

With what Sakkura mentioned above, about chips/controllers already being taped out, it's very probable these will see the light of day by end of 2017.

Again it's very probable these aren't consumer devices though.

27 minutes ago, Sakkura said:

Icelake or Tigerlake are the first chance we'll see them on the Consumer level.  I'd expect it for 2019 refreshes of X299 and X399, though, as it's much more use for the HEDT market over the Mainstream.  

Also of interest: does this mean OCuLink 2.0 is finalized as well? Wonder what the max length is on it and if we might see it on the consumer side this time around.

33 minutes ago, Sakkura said:

However if we can convince video card manufacturers that they don't really need the x16 slot form factor anymore, then you can get away with running less traces over the motherboard.

35 minutes ago, Sniperfox47 said:

20 PCIe 4.0 lanes will be easier to implement than 40 PCIe 3.0 lanes.

I hope so, but that's not how it played out from PCIe 2.0 to 3.0 in the consumer platform: all the consumer boards are like "if you use slot X, forget about slot Y", it barely makes sense having a full ATX motherboard, but older platforms limited to PCIe 2.0 would let you use 90% of the slots at the same time, worst case scenario a x16 slot turned to x8, and that's it.

So we may have higher total bandwidth, but certainly gave up some lanes in the process.

Does it retain backwards compatibility and all?

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

9 minutes ago, M.Yurizaki said:

However if we can convince video card manufacturers that they don't really need the x16 slot form factor anymore, then you can get away with running less traces over the motherboard.

Yeah, as long as it doesn't get overridden by "big numbers marketing."

9 minutes ago, Princess Cadence said:

If it didn't, the PCI-SIG basically signed its own death warrant to any other competitors (like CCIX)

Okay, maybe it won't be that dramatic, but backwards and forwards compatibility is one of PCIe's biggest strengths.

9 minutes ago, Princess Cadence said:

Afaik it's fully backwards compatible since that was kind of the whole point of keeping it as a PCIe standard rather than switching to a new interconnect.

That being said, somebody on the PCIe 5.0 thread pointed out an article that said compatibility was one-way so maybe I'm wrong.

OCuLink 2 is not backwards compatible with OCuLink, but that never really made it to the consumer side anyways. OCuLink 2 is relatively future proof though.

27 minutes ago, Princess Cadence said:

16 minutes ago, Sniperfox47 said:

Afaik it's fully backwards compatible since that was kind of the whole point of keeping it as a PCIe standard rather than switching to a new interconnect.

That being said, somebody on the PCIe 5.0 thread pointed out an article that said compatibility was one-way so maybe I'm wrong.

OCuLink 2 is not backwards compatible with OCuLink, but that never really made it to the consumer side anyways. OCuLink 2 is relatively future proof though.

Isn't PCIe backwards and forwards compatible.

Backwards is Gen 1 device in a Gen 2 socket

Forwards is Gen 2 device in a Gen 1 socket

examples USB is forwards and backwards compatible when AM3+ is only backwards.

if you want to annoy me, then join my teamspeak server ts.benja.cc

33 minutes ago, The Benjamins said:

Isn't PCIe backwards and forwards compatible.

Backwards is Gen 1 device in a Gen 2 socket

Forwards is Gen 2 device in a Gen 1 socket

examples USB is forwards and backwards compatible when AM3+ is only backwards.

Yes, pcie is one of few things that has full forwards and backwards compatibility.  You can even plug PCI 1.2? devices in to a PCIe slot with an adapter. 

Workstation:  13700k @ 5.5Ghz || Gigabyte Z790 Ultra || MSI Gaming Trio 4090 Shunt || TeamGroup DDR5-7800 @ 7000 || Corsair AX1500i@240V || whole-house loop.

LANRig/GuestGamingBox: 9900nonK || Gigabyte Z390 Master || ASUS TUF 3090 650W shunt || Corsair SF600 || CPU+GPU watercooled 280 rad pull only || whole-house loop.

Server Router (Untangle): 13600k @ Stock || ASRock Z690 ITX || All 10Gbe || 2x8GB 3200 || PicoPSU 150W 24pin + AX1200i on CPU|| whole-house loop

Server Compute/Storage: 10850K @ 5.1Ghz || Gigabyte Z490 Ultra || EVGA FTW3 3090 1000W || LSI 9280i-24 port || 4TB Samsung 860 Evo, 5x10TB Seagate Enterprise Raid 6, 4x8TB Seagate Archive Backup ||  whole-house loop.

Laptop: HP Elitebook 840 G8 (Intel 1185G7) + 3080Ti Thunderbolt Dock, Razer Blade Stealth 13" 2017 (Intel 8550U)

2 hours ago, Sniperfox47 said:

They're coming out imminently. Next few months. That being said they're not likely consumer level devices, more devices meant for high scale servers.

Actually high-end SSDs are already close to hitting a wall with 3.5+GB/s sequential speeds. The 4x PCIe interface has a theoretical 4GB/s limit although in practice it's slightly less due to encoding overhead. Probably by this time next year we'll have an SSD that can saturate it.

Corsair 600T | Intel Core i7-4770K @ 4.5GHz | Samsung SSD Evo 970 1TB | MS Windows 10 | Samsung CF791 34" | 16GB 1600 MHz Kingston DDR3 HyperX | ASUS Formula VI | Corsair H110  Corsair AX1200i | ASUS Strix Vega 56 8GB Internet http://beta.speedtest.net/result/4365368180

4 hours ago, Sniperfox47 said:

I'll keep living in my sci-fi fantasy where we get optical traces on the motherboard for PCIe so they can be pretty much as long as we want.

And before you say that would be even more expensive, I don't care xP optical traces would be cool.

now make it rgb for extra data throughput and cool light effects.