[Screw Asus and their customer care] ASUS RMA horror

Original title: RMA'd ASUS Mobo for few issues and got hit with a hidden warranty Policy

Update #5: Received the Fanhub back, put the system back together and now the CPU_FAN runs at near 100% speeds. Wonderful. Waited a month to put my PC back together, I receive a Mobo with bent pins, I returned that and received this one, and it runs my fan plugged into CPU_FAN at near 100%. 2000RPM fan runs at 1850 rpm and doesn't change when I try to stop it from spinning so much on ASUS Suite III. Holy fuck ASUS this is getting ridiculous. 

Update #4:

Asus has shipped my motherboard back to me, no bent pins this time which is a good start. They also decided to give in and send me the fan hub back (which I'm pretty sure is still broken) but at this point I'm fucking done with Asus and don't care. I'm going to sell this motherboard and buy a silverstone fan hub to send with it because fuck Asus. I don't want to screw the buyer out of fan ports because Asus did it to me. I'm not going to be a dick like them. 

The entire situation of telling me that Asus' internal structure is a mess and the internal communication is everywhere. I've been told different things and told fake warranty policies. 

Asus turned the situation around on me and blamed me for sending the fan hub in in the first place. They wanted to charge me for sending in the fan hub. Anyone who has a defective product would think "hey I should send it in to get fixed." not blamed and told to pay for overpriced shipping. $15 for a PCB thats 2"x 2". Thats ridiculous. The whole situation of them telling me a fake warranty policy has been ignored and the stiation has gone to getting me to pay for shipping and me not wanting to pay for it. The title of one of the e-mails was titled "Doesn't want to pay for shipping." that just makes me look horrible to whoever the e-mail is forwarded to. 

No matter how much Linus or tech YouTubers praises an Asus product. I will never buy an Asus product again. 

Update #3: 

An Asus supervisor has called me asking me for more information on the situation. He asked me to describe what the fan hub looked like so I told him what to google. He found the image and told me he will help me find the product and get it back to me. Told me the social media team will contact me which they did on facebook. Just telling me updates on the shipping process. 

I later got an e-mail from corporate customer care just telling me "I apologize on the behalf of Asus and blah blah. I have requested your motherboard be swapped and updated on the BIOS." So nothing really in regards to the whole issue of them giving me a false statement on Warranties and wanting to charge me. 

I then got an e-mail from Asus Service center (separate from customer care) telling me that I have to pay for the Fanhub to be sent back to me because I wasn't supposed to send the accessory in with the RMA. THEN HOW THE HELL AM I SUPPOSED TO GET IT FIXED. I told them I'd rather buy a brand new fan hub from Silverstone on Amazon for $16 instead of the $15 they are charging me to send back the Fan hub. They said they will escalate my situation and I'll hear from a supervisor (again). Rinse and repeat probably. 

Asus what the hell. Things seemed like they were going OK when you admitted the warranty policy you told me was false, but then they just take 2 steps back. Come on. 

UPDATE #2: 

I was told to submit a complaint to their complaints department which I did. I received a response from Asus Corporate and they said that THERE IS NO SUCH WARRANTY POLICY AS ACCESSORIES ONLY HAVING 30 DAYS. What the hell Asus. Not only did people keep avoiding the question of if it existed, it is apparent that the warranty department follow this policy and enforce it even though it isn't company policy. The lack of communication is clear between corporate and some other departments. They said they are asking questions to the product service department asking for answers of why this happened but I'm sure thats only said to "reassure the customer." 

I just received my Ryzen 7 1700, guess who isn't buying an Asus motherboard. 

DM1k6vB.png

UPDATE: 

So I followed @spartanvi's advice and posted on Reddit and Facebook. Asus as contacted me to PM them on Facebook to help me further. 

I was able to get another RMA for the bent pins on the replacement board. They also sent me an invoice to send back my BROKEN fanhub and charge me $15. They keep avoiding my question of why I'm being charged this when the product was also defective and it states NOWHERE that accessories still are not covered after 30 days. So of course any normal person would assume it is covered as it comes with the motherboard. I was told it costs that much to send the fan hub back to me. The fanhub is literally a 1.5in by 1.5in piece PCB with 2 4pin fan connectors on it. How the hell does that cost $15 to ship. 

They told me to call their other customer hotline that opens on Monday to dispute this. 

I am never buying an Asus product again with how much run around they're doing with my issue. 

End update. 

Story: 

So I RMA'd my Maximus Vii Impact because I had some dead USB's and the Fanhub for the Motherboard itself was running fans at 100% no matter how I tried to control it w/ ASUS software. (2000RPM at 100% gets real annoying really quick) 

I was told to RMA it so I did along with that fanhub to get a replacement. I received my new replacement today (and has 2 bent pins yay) and Also with the fanhub missing. 

I called ASUS about this and they told me that I didn't get a replacement because A) I'm not supposed to send in accessories as there is a chance I wouldn't get it back. (Okay I understand, thats my fault but the accessory was also the problem so i needed to send it in) B) ASUS only has a 30 day replacement policy for Accessories that come with its products while the Mobo itself has a 3 year warranty. 

I checked Newegg's page (where i purchased it from) for the warranty. Nothing about the accessory warranty. I went to ASUS's webpage for the motherboard to look in even more detail about it.

Only states (https://www.asus.com/us/Motherboards/MAXIMUS_VII_IMPACT/HelpDesk_Warranty/

Motherboard Warranty Policy

Product Warranty

Standard Warranty

Remarks

Motherboard

Standard: 3 Years
TUF series: 5 Years*1
Tinker Boards: 1-2 Years*1

Standard and TUF series ASUS motherboard purchased after November 1st, 1999 will carry 3 year warranty services.

Tinker Board series will carray a minimum 1 year warranty.

Warranty is validated based on the serial number located on your product. 

Your warranty will be voided if the serial number label is altered or removed.

It says nothing about the 30 day accessory warranty. I don't want to be that "I'm the customer and I'm entitled" sounding person, but how is a customer supposed to know that there is a 30 day accessory warranty if it is not stated even on the product's warranty page? I now have to order a 3rd party fan hub (not a big deal) but that just kinda irks me policy-wise. 

Could someone link me to where I may find this accessory policy? Just want to be knowledgeable for next time 

Edited this post to avoid spamming with my posts. 

I'd press you to be "that customer" and consider a multi-pronged approach by taking it to their social media as well. It's not worth it for Asus to garner negative publicity over such a cheap part. This an opportunity for them to retain a customer and save face among other prospective buyers. If they don't make this right, then that's a signal for me to avoid them in the future. 

16 minutes ago, spartanvi said:

I'd press you to be "that customer" and consider a multi-pronged approach by taking it to their social media as well. It's not worth it for Asus to garner negative publicity over such a cheap part. This an opportunity for them to retain a customer and save face among other prospective buyers. If they don't make this right, then that's a signal for me to avoid them in the future. 

How should I go about that? Post on Reddit as well? I don't really use Twitter but do have an account. I always heard ASUS has very meh customer support. And it this is kinda fueling that stereotype against then. Two bent pins on a replacement board and such a nit picky warranty policy. 

19 minutes ago, LaboonTheWhale said:

How should I go about that? Post on Reddit as well? I don't really use Twitter but do have an account. I always heard ASUS has very meh customer support. And it this is kinda fueling that stereotype against then. Two bent pins on a replacement board and such a nit picky warranty policy. 

Facebook would be a good place to start. Companies like to have their PR and/or service folks monitor social media for complaints and do a nice courteous dance for you. Reference your ticket/RMA number, be cordial, and use compliance-y terms like "unfair" to get their attention. Businesses in the US have to be very careful around business practices that can be considered unfair or deceptive.

If they make this right, they'll look like rockstars, you get your part; everyone wins. If they don't... well you're not the first or last person who's had a poor experience with ASUS service, and their reputation will perpetuate among buyers until they begin to feel the pain. I'll keep an eye for your posting to make sure I dog pile on it. :) 

8 minutes ago, spartanvi said:

Facebook would be a good place to start. Companies like to have their PR and/or service folks monitor social media for complaints and do a nice courteous dance for you. Reference your ticket/RMA number, be cordial, and use compliance-y terms like "unfair" to get their attention. Businesses in the US have to be very careful around unfair and deceptive business tactics.

If they make this right, they'll look like rockstars, you get your part; everyone wins. If they don't... well you're not the first or last person who's had a poor experience with ASUS service, and their reputation will perpetuate among buyers until they begin to feel the pain. I'll keep an eye for your posting to make sure I dog pile on it. :) 

Should I also be concerned about the bent pins? I called support to note with my mobo that it arrived with two bent pins and gave them the locations. 

The goal is getting your accessory replaced since they didn't return it to you, so I'd keep the focus on that. 

13 minutes ago, spartanvi said:

The goal is getting your accessory replaced since they didn't return it to you, so I'd keep the focus on that. 

I meant more for when I rebuild my system

Between the tacky aesthetic each new gen and having a near $200 ROG mobo die on me in the past, I don't really care for ASUS these days. This is only confirming my decision to stop buying their stuff. :ph34r: 

man asus really hit the shitter in the last few years , i switched to asrock from asus thanks to These Kind of stories i heard more and more often in the past 2 years

RyzenAir : AMD R5 3600 | AsRock AB350M Pro4 | 32gb Aegis DDR4 3000 | GTX 1070 FE | Fractal Design Node 804
RyzenITX : Ryzen 7 1700 | GA-AB350N-Gaming WIFI | 16gb DDR4 2666 | GTX 1060 | Cougar QBX 

PSU Tier list

I recently had a USB port that was throwing errors die on me. Since I got my board used I did a workaround that involves disabling it in the UEFI. Wee

[TRUENO] i7 4770k (~4.4Ghz, 1.28v) || Thermalright Macho 120 || Asus Z87 Gryphon || 2x8Gb Mushkin Blackline|| Reference NVIDIA GTX770 || Corsair Neutron GTX 480GB || 2x3TB WD HDD || Corsair 350D || Corsair RM750

I'm still finding it funny that on the build quality side of things, my rather old Asus P2L97 (Intel 440LX based) is better than my Z97 Sabertooth MKII (which had the audio suddenly die+doesn't keep the BIOS settings regardless of the battery used).  Which is why I switched back to my old Asus H87M Pro as it never gave me grief (my friend has the Z97 Sabertooth MKII now, its left plugged in+is only ever used with TV so its fine for him)

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

I didn't want to say this earlier, but yes Asus is not what it once was.

The motherboards are some of the sissiest ones regarding ram compatibility, and the gfx cards hm... another not so great thing. Wifey had a direct cu II gtx560. That one with its advertised "silent fan design and optimized cooking" was overheating, and the fans sounded like a jet engine. After 10 minutes of unthrottled gaming the system went black. Changed firmwares, reapplied thermal compound, the changed thermal compound let the fans spin up more evenly... a smooth rise to "WAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHH" instead of going from pfff to waaaaah without ramping up. 

The funny thing about Asrock. It's a daughter company from Asus. 

So I leave Asus products in the shelf for quite some time. I haven't spoken about this due to LTT is using Asus quite frequently for their builds. Yes if an Asus product runs well and stable, you'll have a lot fun with it, but quality wise, they are far from where they were.

Main System:

Anghammarad : Asrock Taichi x570, AMD Ryzen 7 5800X @4900 MHz. 32 GB DDR4 3600, some NVME SSDs, Gainward Phoenix RTX 3070TI

System 2 "Igluna" AsRock Fatal1ty Z77 Pro, Core I5 3570k @4300, 16 GB Ram DDR3 2133, some SSD, and a 2 TB HDD each, Gainward Phantom 760GTX.

System 3 "Inskah" AsRock Fatal1ty Z77 Pro, Core I5 3570k @4300, 16 GB Ram DDR3 2133, some SSD, and a 2 TB HDD each, Gainward Phantom 760GTX.

On the Road: Acer Aspire 5 Model A515-51G-54FD, Intel Core i5 7200U, 8 GB DDR4 Ram, 120 GB SSD, 1 TB SSD, Intel CPU GFX and Nvidia MX 150, Full HD IPS display

Media System "Vio": Aorus Elite AX V2, Ryzen 7 5700X, 64 GB Ram DDR4 3200 Mushkin, 1 275 GB Crucial MX SSD, 1 tb Crucial MX500 SSD. IBM 5015 Megaraid, 4 Seagate Ironwolf 4TB HDD in raid 5, 4 WD RED 4 tb in another Raid 5, Gainward Phoenix GTX 1060

(Abit Fatal1ty FP9 IN SLI, C2Duo E8400, 6 GB Ram DDR2 800, far too less diskspace, Gainward Phantom 560 GTX broken need fixing)

Nostalgia: Amiga 1200, Tower Build, CPU/FPU/MMU 68EC020, 68030, 68882 @50 Mhz, 10 MByte ram (2 MB Chip, 8 MB Fast), Fast SCSI II, 2 CDRoms, 2 1 GB SCSI II IBM Harddrives, 512 MB Quantum Lightning HDD, self soldered Sync changer to attach VGA displays, WLAN

5 minutes ago, Dabombinable said:

I'm still finding it funny that on the build quality side of things, my rather old Asus P2L97 (Intel 440LX based) is better than my Z97 Sabertooth MKII (which had the audio suddenly die+doesn't keep the BIOS settings regardless of the battery used).  Which is why I switched back to my old Asus H87M Pro as it never gave me grief (my friend has the Z97 Sabertooth MKII now, its left plugged in+is only ever used with TV so its fine for him)

The Sabertooth boards look nice, but thats it. as soon as you do some research in different computer boards like Toms, Hardwareluxx, or Computerbase, usually they say, don't get one.

Main System:

Anghammarad : Asrock Taichi x570, AMD Ryzen 7 5800X @4900 MHz. 32 GB DDR4 3600, some NVME SSDs, Gainward Phoenix RTX 3070TI

System 2 "Igluna" AsRock Fatal1ty Z77 Pro, Core I5 3570k @4300, 16 GB Ram DDR3 2133, some SSD, and a 2 TB HDD each, Gainward Phantom 760GTX.

System 3 "Inskah" AsRock Fatal1ty Z77 Pro, Core I5 3570k @4300, 16 GB Ram DDR3 2133, some SSD, and a 2 TB HDD each, Gainward Phantom 760GTX.

On the Road: Acer Aspire 5 Model A515-51G-54FD, Intel Core i5 7200U, 8 GB DDR4 Ram, 120 GB SSD, 1 TB SSD, Intel CPU GFX and Nvidia MX 150, Full HD IPS display

Media System "Vio": Aorus Elite AX V2, Ryzen 7 5700X, 64 GB Ram DDR4 3200 Mushkin, 1 275 GB Crucial MX SSD, 1 tb Crucial MX500 SSD. IBM 5015 Megaraid, 4 Seagate Ironwolf 4TB HDD in raid 5, 4 WD RED 4 tb in another Raid 5, Gainward Phoenix GTX 1060

(Abit Fatal1ty FP9 IN SLI, C2Duo E8400, 6 GB Ram DDR2 800, far too less diskspace, Gainward Phantom 560 GTX broken need fixing)

Nostalgia: Amiga 1200, Tower Build, CPU/FPU/MMU 68EC020, 68030, 68882 @50 Mhz, 10 MByte ram (2 MB Chip, 8 MB Fast), Fast SCSI II, 2 CDRoms, 2 1 GB SCSI II IBM Harddrives, 512 MB Quantum Lightning HDD, self soldered Sync changer to attach VGA displays, WLAN

Just now, Anghammarad said:

The Sabertooth boards look nice, but thats it. as soon as you do some research in different computer boards like Toms, Hardwareluxx, or Computerbase, usually they say, don't get one.

I'm really regretting not getting an MSI M-Power board.

PMSL

Dealing with ASUS's warranty department before is why I didn't get an ASUS motherboard this time around.  ASUS and Gigabyte are both on my list of companies that I won't willingly give money to at this point, strictly due to my experiences with their support and warranty departments.

I stick with the fatal1ty series for "highend" for some time now. Never went wrong with that. No matter if the board is 300 bucks or the cheaper 140 bucks ones.

Started using "Fatal1ty" boards while Abit was still around. The FP In 9 SLI was a bitch to overclock on, you went up a little notch and it wasn't posting. But if you overclocked balls to the wall with MACH27, yes the balls did hurt then, and go back down afterwards, it was rock stable. Never had such a stable machine before. Abit + ADATA ram = win in my case. Same again now, Asrock Fatal1ty + ADATA ram = win again.

MSI had a bad rep for quite some time, but they really got their A Game back on track. 

Main System:

7 minutes ago, PineyCreek said:

Dealing with ASUS's warranty department before is why I didn't get an ASUS motherboard this time around.  ASUS and Gigabyte are both on my list of companies that I won't willingly give money to at this point, strictly due to my experiences with their support and warranty departments.

Same here. Gigabyte with the 5 RMA then "fuck you, here's your original+faulty GTX 970 G1 Gaming back", and Asus with the following issues:

• Z97 Sabertooth MKII not keeping BIOS settings once unplugged (the jumper is set correctly BTW)
  • Z97 Sabertooh MKII having the audio die (I think it was the DAC, the optical audio out works sometimes)
  • Transformer Prime TF201 feeling like its built far better than the succeeding TF701
  • Transformer Prime TF201 being faster than the TF701 despite its Tegra 3 being clocked 400MHz lower
  • Asus U38N having the following problems; USB ports suddenly stop working, keyboard back-light works intermittently, APU fans don't ramp up like they should so it throttles hard at times, screen not turning back on once woken from sleep, touchscreen randomly stops working
  • Expensive 2008 laptops with support for 45nm CP (eg. Asus F3L) only supporting 2GB of RAM....when laptops with 65nm CPU based on older chipsets from 2006 support 4GB
5 minutes ago, Anghammarad said:

I stick with the fatal1ty series for "highend" for some time now. Never went wrong with that. No matter if the board is 300 bucks or the cheaper 140 bucks ones.

Started using "Fatal1ty" boards while Abit was still around. The FP In 9 SLI was a bitch to overclock on, you went up a little notch and it wasn't posting. But if you overclocked balls to the wall with MACH27, yes the balls did hurt then, and go back down afterwards, it was rock stable. Never had such a stable machine before. Abit + ADATA ram = win in my case. Same again now, Asrock Fatal1ty + ADATA ram = win again.

MSI had a bad rep for quite some time, but they really got their A Game back on track. 

I've got a couple of motherboards which still need a little bit of repairs/cleaning up from back when they were shit. Long story short the reputation was definitely deserved.

PMSL

The only Asus motherboard I ever had was a Rampage II Extreme X58 which decided to die about 13 seconds after the warranty had expired and nicely decided to take out my i7 965 extreme at the same time. It could easily have just been a one off, but I just haven't been back to them since.

I'm glad (obviously not happy its happening to you guys) that i'm not the only one that has experienced this bullshit. 

5 hours ago, spartanvi said:

I'm guessing it didn't go well. 

Basically getting a middle finger from them left and right. 

Sorry to hear OP. ASUS had an opportunity to turn this around and obviously failed miserably. You can count on me to avoid them in the future; I don't want to deal with their crap customer service either. 

20 hours ago, spartanvi said:

Sorry to hear OP. ASUS had an opportunity to turn this around and obviously failed miserably. You can count on me to avoid them in the future; I don't want to deal with their crap customer service either. 

Now the rep is basically recommending I pay it to get it over with. that is just stupid. Still avoiding the question of "please show me where the information is readily available" jGKyFn5.png

After all that I wouldn't even bother with them. Return motherboard to the store where you bought it.

In my country, customer is covered by some policy and have all the right to return it and get money back.

If that's possible, I would start looking at that option.

Intel i7 12700K | Gigabyte Z690 Gaming X DDR4 | Pure Loop 240mm | G.Skill 3200MHz 32GB CL14 | CM V850 G2 | RTX 3070 Phoenix | Lian Li O11 Air mini

Samsung EVO 960 M.2 250GB | Samsung EVO 860 PRO 512GB | 4x Be Quiet! Silent Wings 140mm fans

WD My Cloud 4TB

Just now, Simon771 said:

After all that I wouldn't even bother with them. Return motherboard to the store where you bought it.

In my country, customer is covered by some policy and have all the right to return it and get money back.

If that's possible, I would start looking at that option.

Its been almost 2 years since I purchased it. No go with that option :/