The WORST CPU Cooler EVER – Sketchy Heatsinks Ep2

First

Since I am to lazy to put something interesting here, I will put everything, but slightly abbreviated. Here is everything:

also, some questions to make you wonder about life:

What is I and who is me? Who is you? Which armrest in the movie theatre is yours?

also,

Welcome to the internet, I will be your guide. Or something.

My build:

CPU: Intel Core i5-7400 3.0GHz Quad-Core Processor,

Motherboard: ASRock B250M Pro4 Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard, 

Memory: Corsair 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR4-2133 Memory,

Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive, 

Video Card: MSI Radeon RX 480 4GB ARMOR OC Video Card, 

Case: Corsair 100R ATX Mid Tower Case , 

Power Supply: Corsair CXM 450W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply, 

Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Home Full, 

Wireless Network Adapter: TP-Link TL-WN725N USB 2.0 802.11b/g/n Wi-Fi Adapter, Case Fan: Corsair Air Series White 2 pack 52.2 CFM  120mm Fan

ou do not ask why, you ask why not -me

Remeber kinds, the only differ between screwing around and scince is writing it down. -Adam Savage.

Only two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not even sure of the former. - Albert Einstein.

82nd

QUOTE/TAG ME WHEN RESPONDING

Please Spend As Much Time Writing Your Question As You Want Me To Spend Responding To It. Take Time & Explain

New TOS RUINED the meme that used to be below :( 

1 minute ago, Daniel644 said:

should have teamed up with the King Of Random

or DIY Perks.

Intel Core i3 2100 @ 3.10GHz - Intel Stock Cooler - Zotac Geforce GT 610 2GB Synergy Edition

Intel DH61WW - Corsair® Value Select 4GBx1 DDR3 1600 MHz - Antec BP-300P PSU

WD Green 1TB - Seagate 2.5" HDD 1TB - Seagate Barracuda 500GB - Antec X1 E.

How about you use mayonnaise as the thermal paste to make it even worse.

CPU: Intel Core i5 2400 GPU: MSi GTX 1050 Ti 4GT OC RAM: 14GB DDR3 (3x2GB, 1x8GB) Mobo: Acer MB.GAU07.001 Case: Gateway DX4860 PSU: EVGA 600W Bronze Plus

Oh man ...

Why not just make a CUBE of aluminum, then polish the heck out of the bottom and then use a somewhat high speed drilling machine to make A LOT of holes in the top to increase the area of heat dissipation

Aren't those fins usually made using extrusion? I assume they have a bunch of hot melted aluminum and push it out through a die into a chamber that slowly expands in one direction , and then they can just cut pieces of the extruded material

Here's an example : https://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/advanced-thermal-solutions-inc/ATS-H1-30-C3-R0/ATS-H1-30-C3-R0-ND/4624535

Seems to me like they make a long strip of this with the fins unseparated, then maybe they go with a big wire saw to split those fins into smaller segments and then they just cut out three fins from each corner, drill four holes and then put the piece through some polishing machine

You could also do one with a CNC machine :

9 minutes ago, mariushm said:

Oh man ...

Why not just make a CUBE of aluminum, then polish the heck out of the bottom and then use a somewhat high speed drilling machine to make A LOT of holes in the top to increase the area of heat dissipation

Aren't those fins usually made using extrusion? I assume they have a bunch of hot melted aluminum and push it out through a die into a chamber that slowly expands in one direction , and then they can just cut pieces of the extruded material

Here's an example : https://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/advanced-thermal-solutions-inc/ATS-H1-30-C3-R0/ATS-H1-30-C3-R0-ND/4624535

Seems to me like they make a long strip of this with the fins unseparated, then maybe they go with a big wire saw to split those fins into smaller segments and then they just cut out three fins from each corner, drill four holes and then put the piece through some polishing machine

You could also do one with a CNC machine :

I think he did something like that for a scrapyard wars once, this series is meant to be crap people could do at home, not many people have CNC Milling machines.

"Ambitious but rubbish"

Hey Linus, I think you're going to receive a letter from BBC for that one.

:)

Metallurgy expert checking in (not).

In all seriousness, I really like the attempt at casting.

I have a feeling you could've gotten the first method to work. I think you should've used a different 3D printing material. PVA is water soluble I believe? that may have worked better instead of trying to melt PLA through sand with that torch.

Also you so you don't have to fuss with the oxidation layer forming on the Aluminum, I think you could trying running an inert gas over the top of it while melting (like you do with any welding).

22 minutes ago, madaday said:

Would it not have been possible to make the negative of the heatsink and 3d print it, then cast in the gaps?

the metal would have melted that for sure.

I wasnt surprised it took your gang of misfits several attempts...but I was slightly surprised that after so many attempts their casting skills didnt improve.

Can Anybody Link A Virtual Machine while I go download some RAM?

2 hours ago, Daniel644 said:

should have teamed up with the King Of Random

dont like his videos / style of speech

Ryzen 5 3600 stock | 2x16GB C13 3200MHz (AFR) | GTX 760 (Sold the VII)| ASUS Prime X570-P | 6TB WD Gold (128MB Cache, 2017)

Samsung 850 EVO 240 GB 

138 is a good number.

Thank God, I thought someone was going to let Linus cast metal.  But, hey, at least you would have gotten the follow up videos, "How Linus burned down his own building", "Arson & Insurance Fraud for Dummies" and "Why Sandals are not appropriate safety footware".

Honestly you would of probably gotten more success out attaching a fan on top cup filled with water to "liquid cool" your cpu than trying to cast a heat sink in your first few tries.

Error 404 humor not found.

I see that your new engineer was put into action, no design skills tho. It does look cool like a rigid nature build. I think Luke should use it on his rock personal rig to accent all the MINERALS, 

2 hours ago, SukaroBlue said:

Honestly you would of probably gotten more success out attaching a fan on top cup filled with water to "liquid cool" your cpu than trying to cast a heat sink in your first few tries.

this could be the next episode? 

I would get a sheet of copper, cut it down so you have a stack of rectangles; braze each layer only in the center; then bend the un-brazed edges up at different angles.

I think you should try the mold again but this time put sheets of ali into the mold and then bake the mold in an oven. The kind of molding you have done is really good for making simple shapes out of lead like fish sinkers & bullets

☼

ψ ︿_____︿_ψ_   

Linus, your team is bloody ingenious at times. This was not one of them. First, the kiln to melt. You should have known better. This needs to be done again correct DYO style (Do it Ourselves style). This will cost about $25 usd, and 2 cheap stock or whatever fits fans.

You need this http://www.onlinemetals.com/merchant.cfm?pid=1910&step=4&id=1414&CAWELAID=120293320000030460&gclid=Cj0KEQjwuZvIBRD-8Z6B2M2Sy68BEiQAtjYS3K_dhSFkipTlUbSxgAvGuXG0rYWdpsLH3tmgdrFg5GkaAk0P8P8HAQ

Before you solder, skip to the bottom

As simple as possible. 3.1" length, 2.9" width, .021" depth (the thickness of the sheet). Make 3 of them. On the bottom one burn in 5 horizontal lines as thin as you can, @ .003 depth (Essentially just touching and burning the lines, as we want the bottom to be the thickest, absorb, and conduct) another, but with a tad more pressure on the lines. Last, the same thing with a bit more pressure. So you have your 3 very thin sinks on top of each other. A dash of solder in each corner where they touch is perfect (Both sides). What the heck, you had a square foot to use! I have all this extra! Well now you are going cut and slightly heat 3 strips (They are thin so already pliable, but this will make it easier, 100 fh should do.) Essentially make an s with an extra loop, so there are 3 main touching points, the starting and ending of the strip facing away from the sink) in the middle of each sink. Solder those on.

Now you have a 3 layer sink, with 3 side strips, and 1/4 of the metal left. Great, extra!

Make 5 posts, one for each top corner, and one for the middle, hopefuly 1/2" high each (They need to be the same height). Lay 2 of your 3 last pieces of copper across, with another dab of solder on the sides. Place any standard size cpu fan atop your mini sinks (old, new, Intel, AMD, Suplus r US... it does not matter. Secure it (pick a way, drill, zip tie, cut zip tie and heat, solder excess copper, again, does not matter). Do the same on the side without the "S's + the U". At this point, you have a two fan, copper heatsink that will make a Noc 3 times it's size and 5 times it's cost say "Sorry, I could not hear you, I was too loud, and gosh was I sweating".

All it took was an expensive piece of 12"x12"x.021" foil, a butane lighter, a soldering gun, and two old fans. And some Butt Cream.

*Skip*

If you happen to be out of Arctic silver, I bet you have a better cooling solution. You have kids and you're a geek. I know you read the ingredients for the diaper rash cream. Probably not Arctic silver though. Have you ever heard of Triple Paste Butt Cream? A dab of the paste, a dab of Vaseline, and a dab of Artic silver, and you have the best cooling transfer paste available. The Zinc Oxide is the key, as you will notice in Artic Silver and Triple paste, they are almost identical, except the triple paste is higher quality and less corrosive.

I'd make the video but I don't have the equipment, and, well, am still a tad camera shy. I am quite smart though. Ask Jake and his buddy to look at the idea after you say "Guys, this is ridiculous, but makes sense". Oh, and no need for the kiln!

There is enough youth in this world, how about a fountain of smart?

you guys poured the wrong way round , you want the Fins to be the last Thing the metal reaches as they are thin and Long

Unbenannt.png.9873a9d493ee1f3f241409ac4a10c49f.png

RyzenAir : AMD R5 3600 | AsRock AB350M Pro4 | 32gb Aegis DDR4 3000 | GTX 1070 FE | Fractal Design Node 804
RyzenITX : Ryzen 7 1700 | GA-AB350N-Gaming WIFI | 16gb DDR4 2666 | GTX 1060 | Cougar QBX 

PSU Tier list

Now here is what ya should look into.  Just thought this one up.

Should have taken a bigger (but small size coffee can) and set that aside and cut the tops and bottoms off of a bunch of coke cans so you can have super thin aluminum, then arrange the coke cans aluminum into a heat sink pattern where you have tons of coke can fins. Then pour a small thin layer of molten aluminum into the coffee can while the bottom of the can is submerged in water, then immediately set your complete heat sink made from cut up soda cans into the layer of molten aluminum at the bottom of the coffee can and whalla, you have a heat sink, you can cut holes at the bottom of the coffee can to vent the air and set a fan on top, or if your a real badass cut holes at the bottom of the coffee can, put the lid back on the can and rig a vacuum hose to suck air from the top, and you will have a reverse badass heatsink with super thin and abundant walls for dissipation, plus this way you can make the base very thin so heat can travel through it and up the soda can aluminum quickly and out the vacuum hose.

13 hours ago, themctipers said:

dont like his videos / style of speech

He looks at the camera and smirks too often.