The WORST CPU Cooler EVER – Sketchy Heatsinks Ep2

Use a whole bunch of thin copper wire or spend all the linus money on some Pyrolytic Graphite.

"it took 3 times longer then we said it would and the end result peforms poorly, looks bad and has almost none of the features we said it would in the beginning." - Floatplaneclub?

*ducks*

10 hours ago, Space Reptile said:

Unbenannt.png.9873a9d493ee1f3f241409ac4a10c49f.png

Seriously!

Why did they expect the aluminum to just jump UP into the fins all on its own?

Why did they try a lost material casting without losing the material first?

And finally when they realized that gravity can work for them instead of against them...

Why oh why did they just slap together some hand made slabs and stuff them down inside a huge cavity rather than just sticking their original 3d printed model into the sand upside down?!

Hell they could have just punched a cavity in the sand and then use a credit card to make some thin fins deeper beneath it!

Though it was highly entertaining to watch them flounder about trying to make something. It seems like they only read the first paragraph of Wikipedia on metal casting before proceeding.

1 hour ago, DoctorWho1975 said:

"it took 3 times longer then we said it would and the end result peforms poorly, looks bad and has almost none of the features we said it would in the beginning." - Floatplaneclub?

*ducks*

FPC is actually ahead of our initial internal schedule (and we haven't made any public claims as to official launch/availability, so it's not yet fair to judge that), streaming on it looks better than it does on YouTube, and it has all of the features we've promised thus far (which is a fairly small number of them, but again, we've made almost no public promises).

So nope, not really a good comparison :D 

43 minutes ago, nicklmg said:

FPC is actually ahead of our initial internal schedule (and we haven't made any public claims as to official launch/availability, so it's not yet fair to judge that), streaming on it looks better than it does on YouTube, and it has all of the features we've promised thus far (which is a fairly small number of them, but again, we've made almost no public promises).

So nope, not really a good comparison :D 

Dammit, don't frak up my joke with silly facts.

If you are going to build a custom heatsink, then you should use a copper plate with aluminum posts. Drilling copper isn't fun -- I've done it before -- but with a drill press and the right bit, drill deep enough to seat aluminum posts into the drilled holes and secure with solder or something else. Alternatively you can use an aluminum plate instead of copper, since it's easier to drill. If you have a thread tap, you can use aluminum threaded rod as the posts.

Wife's build: Amethyst - Ryzen 9 3900X, 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws V DDR4-3200, ASUS Prime X570-P, EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 12GB, Corsair Obsidian 750D, Corsair RM1000 (yellow label)

My build: Mira - Ryzen 7 3700X, 32GB EVGA DDR4-3200, ASUS Prime X470-PRO, EVGA RTX 3070 XC3, beQuiet Dark Base 900, EVGA 1000 G6

In this episode Linus and team learn that manufacturing is hard...

Where did the crucible come from?  we have had limited luck finding a good size one in ontario for a while now. VS just ordering from the US.

Created an account just to say... You did right having the feed off to one side rather than onto a part of the block.  Beyond that?

Use Delft Clay.  [url=http://www.delftclay.nl/index.php?page=home&hl=usa]Linky[/url]

Seriously, it's much easier for this sort of thing than what you're doing.

You'll need to make a custom ring... (yes I just said that) A couple of pieces of large aluminium box section with some scraps riveted onto the sides to ensure alignment works a charm and is what I use for larger pieces - I'll snap a photo at work tomorrow.  It's more expensive* than making your own casting clay - but it's completely dry and works pretty flawlessly as long as you have sufficient vent points.  

One big vent probably isn't enough, particularly if it's laid out like yours... that is to say, in the easiest path for the molten metal to travel, as once it's blocked there's nowhere for the now trapped (in the fins) air to go - and as the air heats up it expands pushing back against the metal and the clay.  Space reptile's doodle is probably the orientation that I'd cast something like this too, but with two to six vents per fin though these can probably all be blind (that is they're just cavities that the air can compress into [and aluminium can flow into]) and four larger vents to atmosphere - one at each corner on the main block.  

*not only initially, but it's a consumable as well, due to the burnt clay being unusable for a second cast.  However, the bulk of the material will be completely reusable, only 1-3mm thickness of the clay which comes into contact with molten metal is ruined. 

On 2017-05-01 at 7:43 PM, Daniel644 said:

I think he did something like that for a scrapyard wars once, this series is meant to be crap people could do at home, not many people have CNC Milling machines.

Not everyone has the ability to handle MOLTEN METAL at home ether.

Since I am to lazy to put something interesting here, I will put everything, but slightly abbreviated. Here is everything:

also, some questions to make you wonder about life:

What is I and who is me? Who is you? Which armrest in the movie theatre is yours?

also,

Welcome to the internet, I will be your guide. Or something.

My build:

CPU: Intel Core i5-7400 3.0GHz Quad-Core Processor,

Motherboard: ASRock B250M Pro4 Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard, 

Memory: Corsair 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR4-2133 Memory,

Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive, 

Video Card: MSI Radeon RX 480 4GB ARMOR OC Video Card, 

Case: Corsair 100R ATX Mid Tower Case , 

Power Supply: Corsair CXM 450W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply, 

Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Home Full, 

Wireless Network Adapter: TP-Link TL-WN725N USB 2.0 802.11b/g/n Wi-Fi Adapter, Case Fan: Corsair Air Series White 2 pack 52.2 CFM  120mm Fan

ou do not ask why, you ask why not -me

Remeber kinds, the only differ between screwing around and scince is writing it down. -Adam Savage.

Only two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not even sure of the former. - Albert Einstein.

On 2017-05-02 at 3:27 AM, Space Reptile said:

you guys poured the wrong way round , you want the Fins to be the last Thing the metal reaches as they are thin and Long

Unbenannt.png.9873a9d493ee1f3f241409ac4a10c49f.png

Dat Microsoft paint tho.

Since I am to lazy to put something interesting here, I will put everything, but slightly abbreviated. Here is everything:

What is I and who is me? Who is you? Which armrest in the movie theatre is yours?

also,

My build:

Power Supply: Corsair CXM 450W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply, 

Wireless Network Adapter: TP-Link TL-WN725N USB 2.0 802.11b/g/n Wi-Fi Adapter, Case Fan: Corsair Air Series White 2 pack 52.2 CFM  120mm Fan

Remeber kinds, the only differ between screwing around and scince is writing it down. -Adam Savage.

Only two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not even sure of the former. - Albert Einstein.

4 hours ago, King_of_Oz said:

Not everyone has the ability to handle MOLTEN METAL at home ether.

maybe so but thanks to videos like King Of Randoms homemade Mini Metal Foundry it's a LOT more affordable then buying a CNC Milling machine. Making much more possible for someone to attempt.

Good thing the KOR just made a video on how to make green sand

Can Anybody Link A Virtual Machine while I go download some RAM?

17 hours ago, Daniel644 said:

maybe so but thanks to videos like King Of Randoms homemade Mini Metal Foundry it's a LOT more affordable then buying a CNC Milling machine. Making much more possible for someone to attempt.

True...

also,

My build: