Windows Vista support is officially dead–how to stay protected?

Djole123
9 hours ago, tmcclelland455 said:

I genuinely don't see why people still hate on Vista. So long as you have all the service packs and at least a Core 2 Duo/Athlon 64 X2 with 2GB of RAM, it'll run perfectly fine...

Ikr. I remember I installed it on release on my 4GB RAM Athlon X2 5200+ and it ran great. Yes was buggy for like 2-3 months but after it ran normal. 
Many had it with very underpowered machines though, so probably such bad taste.

9 hours ago, Nicholatian said:

Because Vista used to suck, and nobody cared after that even though it was basically just as good as 7 with SP2. Shame.

I've heard  many used machines that barely had minimum requirements though. Specially lack of RAM

6 hours ago, dalekphalm said:

This.

@Djole123, saying Vista is "the most unstable OS besides ME" is very misleading.

Windows Vista, on release day, was a buggy OS, yes. But most of the problems were driver issues.

Vista w/ SP2 is basically just as stable as Windows 7.

Do people forget that when Windows XP came out, it was BY FAR WAY WORSE than Vista ever got?

With that in mind, yes, people should ditch Vista. But that's because it's very old and is no longer supported... NOT because of any stability issues.

I remember once I installed XP on my PC that came with Win 98 and oh it felt sluggish for some time. xD

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

1 minute ago, M.Yurizaki said:

I mean I don't doubt you anecdote. I had two friends who used Me on their computers with no problem. Their only catch though was their computers weren't connected to the internet.

It probably helps to have all of the updates as well. But either way, even now I still can't get 98SE to run as well as ME. Though I'll be forced to use it for the legacy games+programs rig that my Mum wants.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

14 minutes ago, dalekphalm said:

You realize that Windows XP was literally exactly the same? Worse, even?

Upon release, XP was a buggy absolute pile of garbage. I did some work at a Computer Shop during that time frame, and the owner would pre-load computers with Windows 98 SE instead of XP (unless a buyer went in and specifically asked for XP) because of the much better stability on 98 SE.

While it did get better w/ SP1 and SP2, it wasn't really the "awesome" OS we all remember until SP3... which, of course, was released 2 years AFTER Vista came out.

So one could literally use the exact same argument you used, against XP.

Vista wasn't just "ok" after patches. Vista SP2 was a VERY SOLID OS, with stability that matches Windows 7. The hardware requirements for a good experience were definitely high, and Microsoft should have been more strict, but hardware caught up. Manufacturers caught up with Drivers. And things became pretty good.

I had windows 2000 when xp hit. That said sp1 was a better os than vista at launch (for the hardware of the time). And unlike vista, it wasn't followed by a significantly better version. I'm also not a fan of operating systems that are heavy for the sake of being heavy - even if the hardware can keep up there are other things it could be doing instead of feeding the beast in the background.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

1 minute ago, Sauron said:

I had windows 2000 when xp hit. That said sp1 was a better os than vista at launch (for the hardware of the time). And unlike vista, it wasn't followed by a significantly better version. I'm also not a fan of operating systems that are heavy for the sake of being heavy - even if the hardware can keep up there are other things it could be doing instead of feeding the beast in the background.

Windows 2000 was a very solid OS in my experience. Didn't get a chance to use it too much though.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

25 minutes ago, Dabombinable said:

Or at least dual CPU+2GB of RAM. I had it running better on 2x Pentium III 1000EB@1.13GHz/SDRAM @ 150MHz than it did on a Pentium 4 HT 3.2GHz/DDR 330. Despite the Pentium 4 benchmarking as approximately twice as fast multithreaded. Then again, I was running 2GB of RAM as well (the Apolo Pro 133A is a really good chipset).

mmmmmm dual PIII <3

I'd kill to get my hands on a board that has AGP with a pair of GHz chips for an XP gaming machine.

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

Just now, tmcclelland455 said:

mmmmmm dual PIII <3

I'd kill to get my hands on a board that has AGP with a pair of GHz chips for an XP gaming machine.

I'll say this-it feels weird for a system with a HDD that tops out at around 70MB/sec to run like it has an SSD.

PMSL

5 minutes ago, dalekphalm said:

Windows 2000 was a very solid OS in my experience. Didn't get a chance to use it too much though.

It was, unlike 98 and the dreadful ME it was based on NT (which is used in xp, vista and 7). Since it was meant for the enterprise it was more stable than its consumer counterpart (of course it didn't help that its counterpart was ME). I still have the disc, I use it to play age of empires 2 on linux with a vm.

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

20 minutes ago, Sauron said:

It was, unlike 98 and the dreadful ME it was based on NT (which is used in xp, vista and 7). Since it was meant for the enterprise it was more stable than its consumer counterpart (of course it didn't help that its counterpart was ME). I still have the disc, I use it to play age of empires 2 on linux with a vm.

You do realize that AoE 2 HD is out, right?

http://store.steampowered.com/app/221380/

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K

CPU Cooler: be quiet! - PURE ROCK 
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 
Motherboard: ASRock Z370 Extreme4
Memory: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 2x8GB 3200/14
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive 
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive
Storage: Western Digital - BLACK SERIES 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: EVGA - 970 SSC ACX (1080 is in RMA)
Case: Fractal Design - Define R5 w/Window (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA P2 750W with CableMod blue/black Pro Series
Optical Drive: LG - WH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer 
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit and Linux Mint Serena
Keyboard: Logitech - G910 Orion Spectrum RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: Logitech - G502 Wired Optical Mouse
Headphones: Logitech - G430 7.1 Channel  Headset
Speakers: Logitech - Z506 155W 5.1ch Speakers

29 minutes ago, Dabombinable said:

I'll say this-it feels weird for a system with a HDD that tops out at around 70MB/sec to run like it has an SSD.

cough 8.1 on a decent 7200RPM HDD with a decentish CPU cough

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

10 hours ago, Djole123 said:

Any PC with a Pentium 4 or higher and at least 2GB of RAM will work with Windows 10 just fine.

Umm, no.

Some Prescott LGA 775 Pentium 4s (But not all)

How to stay protected? Stop using obsolete operating systems.

Laptop: Asus GA502DU

RAM: 16GB DDR4 | CPU: Ryzen 3750H | GPU: GTX 1660ti

57 minutes ago, Dabombinable said:

BTW, those saying Vista and Windows ME are unstable are either lying, or they used it on machines right at the edge of the recommended specs. I still haven't been able to kill Windows ME with a failed driver install unlike 98SE, and when a program screws up I can simply use system restore. Also the system doesn't become any where near as unstable if a program crashes as it does with 98SE.

I worked for CompUSA when ME was first launched, and we all got free copies from Microsoft so we could evaluate it to provide feedback for customers.  I had that on my system for one week, and it crashed more often than any other OS I've used.  It may well have been driver related, but that board was perfectly stable when I put 98SE back on.

13 minutes ago, ARikozuM said:

AoE 2 HD used to blow online until 3-4 months ago. Massive input lag, disconnects, other issues. 

The community is also highly divided due to balance changes and features that AoE 2 HD doesn't have conversely to the original after patched with the community patch. For example, in HD a spectator fills a player slot, so you can't do 4 versus 4. Original with community patch can have hundreds of spectators.

Desktop: 7800x3d @ stock, 64gb ddr4 @ 6000, 3080Ti, x670 Asus Strix

Laptop: Dell G3 15 - i7-8750h @ stock, 16gb ddr4 @ 2666, 1050Ti 

4 minutes ago, Raskolnikov said:

AoE 2 HD used to blow online until 3-4 months ago. Massive input lag, disconnects, other issues. 

I've enjoyed it since launch. I've run into a few issues but none that I would say should keep a potential player away. 

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 

42 minutes ago, Jito463 said:

I worked for CompUSA when ME was first launched, and we all got free copies from Microsoft so we could evaluate it to provide feedback for customers.  I had that on my system for one week, and it crashed more often than any other OS I've used.  It may well have been driver related, but that board was perfectly stable when I put 98SE back on.

That was before the majority of updates, people also had stability issues on these as well before a large amount of updates were released:

• Windows 2000
  • Windows XP
  • Windows Vista
  • Windows 7
  • Windows 8/8.1
  • Windows 10

PMSL

1 minute ago, Dabombinable said:

That was before the majority of updates, people also had stability issues on these as well before a large amount of updates were released:

Maybe, but your post never mentioned that.  You simply mentioned people lying, or using incompatible hardware, nothing about the lack of updates for the OS.  I was simply basing my comments around your argument that ME wasn't unstable, save for those two variables.

How to stay protected? Well first you need to get some... protection :ph34r:

Just now, Treemasterx said:

How to stay protected? Well first you need to get some... protection :ph34r:

What does a ph33r face have to do with anything?

Spoiler

I know there's text. Please fix for dark theme users.

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

4 hours ago, M.Yurizaki said:

If Vista meets my needs and Windows 7 doesn't offer anything compelling, then there's no reason to upgrade despite there being "better" features.

Software support.

Any program which uses Chromium or CEF (a surprisingly large amount TBH) are no longer supported on Windows Vista.

That means:

Uplay

Steam

Rockstar Social Club

Spotify

Origin

Discord

Google Chrome

Chromium Browser

and numerous other software are no longer supported. 

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

10 hours ago, ARikozuM said:

You do realize it doesn't run on linux, right? If you're asking why I don't use a newer windows for it, the answer is that 2000 is way more lightweight and runs better in a vm.

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

10 hours ago, Sauron said:

I used Windows 2000 Professional for so long, amazing OS. Only reason I went to XP was for Windows XP Professional x64 Edition.

20 hours ago, Djole123 said:

How to stay secure?

1) Move away from Vista right now. 

? This reminds me: 

There is more that meets the eye
I see the soul that is inside

14 minutes ago, leadeater said:

I used Windows 2000 Professional for so long, amazing OS. Only reason I went to XP was for Windows XP Professional x64 Edition.

I agree ?? 

There is more that meets the eye
I see the soul that is inside

19 minutes ago, leadeater said:

Omg no, the free copy of Vista that I never opened is now useless!!

It can still be used.

It's just that many apps no longer support Windows Vista.

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),