RyZen will get official Windows 7 support

Space Reptile

This is a terrible move for coherent ecosystems and ignorant consumers alike.

Don't want Win 10? Then throw fucking Unix on the thing, don't fuck over all the rest of pcmasterrace by using an insecure, out of date, less efficient operating system.

LINK-> Kurald Galain:  The Night Eternal 

Top 5820k, 980ti SLI Build in the World*

CPU: i7-5820k // GPU: SLI MSI 980ti Gaming 6G // Cooling: Full Custom WC //  Mobo: ASUS X99 Sabertooth // Ram: 32GB Crucial Ballistic Sport // Boot SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB

Mass SSD: Crucial M500 960GB  // PSU: EVGA Supernova 850G2 // Case: Fractal Design Define S Windowed // OS: Windows 10 // Mouse: Razer Naga Chroma // Keyboard: Corsair k70 Cherry MX Reds

Headset: Senn RS185 // Monitor: ASUS PG348Q // Devices: Note 10+ - Surface Book 2 15"

LINK-> Ainulindale: Music of the Ainur 

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

CPU: Xeon E3-1231v3  // Cooling: Noctua L9x65 //  Mobo: AsRock E3C224D2I // Ram: 16GB Kingston ECC DDR3-1333

HDDs: 4x HGST Deskstar NAS 3TB  // PSU: EVGA 650GQ // Case: Fractal Design Node 304 // OS: FreeNAS

19 minutes ago, Curufinwe_wins said:

Don't want Win 10? Then throw fucking Unix on the thing, don't fuck over all the rest of pcmasterrace by using an insecure, out of date, less efficient operating system.

Ridiculous and ignorant comment. You're screwing over PC users by pandering to Microsoft's bad business practices, deceitful marketing, shoddy modern QA, and anti-user OS designs.

Windows Vista to Windows 10 all run on basically the same kernel, and the differences between them, aside from Vista, are less major. A person who is running Windows 7 is already running Windows 10 - just without all the Windows 10 BS. And a person who is running Windows 10 is still running Windows 7, just with a whole lot of BS added on top. Other than the inconvenient crap, they're almost exactly the same OS. Windows 10 just rehashed that same OS, because Microsoft wants a revenue boost - and wants to get people's data through all the spyware that's been put into Windows 10.

And between the two, Windows 7 is less resource-heavy than Windows 10, on my machine (which has both installed).

Calling Windows 7 out of date is like calling the i7 6700K out of date, because the i7 7700K has been released - which is a refresh of the i7 6700K. It is the same situation with Windows 10 vs Windows 7.

You own the software that you purchase - Understanding software licenses and EULAs

"We’ll know our disinformation program is complete when everything the american public believes is false" - William Casey, CIA Director 1981-1987

7 hours ago, Space Reptile said:

on the topic of Hvec 265 , this is handled by the gpu according to the article and not on the cpu

"That Ryzen can accelerate video, in turn, is unlikely. As a rule, the video processor is integrated in the graphics unit.

Desktop PCs based on Ryzen always need an external graphics card and its video unit will probably decide which formats can be accelerated in hardware." **

Hm, that quote out of context could make it sound like there will be no RyZen APUs :D 

** no guarantee on the accuracy of these translations as i used google translate and gave it a quick proofread , im no linguist 

But... aren't you from Germany?  Couldn't you translate yourself? :P 

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

23 minutes ago, Delicieuxz said:

Ridiculous and ignorant comment.

Common response where ever i see someone associating with PCMR

29 minutes ago, Curufinwe_wins said:

Windows 7 is supported for a few more years, 2020 i believe. I have never heard of fucking Unix. What company produces an operating system called fucking?

☼

ψ ︿_____︿_ψ_   

27 minutes ago, Delicieuxz said:

Calling Windows 7 out of date is like calling the i7 6700K out of date, because the i7 7700K has been released - which is a refresh of the i7 6700K. It is the same situation with Windows 10 vs Windows 7.

Nah, I'd liken it more to calling the 4770k out of date.  Sure, it's still great, still works, and isn't that old in the grand scheme, but they're not making new motherboards for it, and it's not going to support some of the latest features.

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

"That Ryzen can accelerate video, in turn, is unlikely. As a rule, the video processor is integrated in the graphics unit.

Desktop PCs based on Ryzen always need an external graphics card and its video unit will probably decide which formats can be accelerated in hardware." **

ignoring the possible errors in translation I wonder if it will cooperate nicely with Nvidia GPU

☼

ψ ︿_____︿_ψ_   

6 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

Nah, I'd liken it more to calling the 4770k out of date.  Sure, it's still great, still works, and isn't that old in the grand scheme, but they're not making new motherboards for it, and it's not going to support some of the latest features.

out of date is when you cannot buy replacement parts brand new IMO

☼

ψ ︿_____︿_ψ_   

7 hours ago, Drak3 said:

Good, if Ryzen turns out to be a good performer, I might procure one of the scarce licenses that some local shops are still selling.

http://reddit.com/r/microsoftsoftwareswap should have plenty available for pretty cheap.

Specs: CPU - Intel i7 8700K @ 5GHz | GPU - Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Motherboard - ASUS Strix Z370-G WIFI AC | RAM - XPG Gammix DDR4-3000MHz 32GB (2x16GB) | Main Drive - Samsung 850 Evo 500GB M.2 | Other Drives - 7TB/3 Drives | CPU Cooler - Corsair H100i Pro | Case - Fractal Design Define C Mini TG | Power Supply - EVGA G3 850W

1 minute ago, TheKDub said:

http://reddit.com/r/microsoftsoftwareswap should have plenty available for pretty cheap.

One shop will sell me a license for any version of Windows I want for like $20, going back to XP, because of how much I used to frequent the place.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

47 minutes ago, Delicieuxz said:

Ridiculous and ignorant comment.

Lol you showed your own complete and utter ignorance with that display.

Windows 7 IS VISTA. It is nigh identical to Vista on the kernel level, and 8 through 10 are notable and significant departures from the vista/7 kernel (with 10 sharing as similar a kernel to 8.1 as 7 does to Vista).

Allowing people the option to buy new hardware and run out of date, terribly insecure, and non-supported platforms is the same crap that cost us 5+ extra years of 32 bit games (2011 games requiring custom script extenders when the first 64 bit consumer processors came out in 2003).

Yea you buy a Kabylake processor you shouldn't be allowed to use Windows 7. There I said it. People still manage to fuck up and install 32 bit versions of OSs and wonder why they can't use more than 4GB of ram. For the average consumer using EoL operating systems at all is an accident waiting to happen, and purposefully throwing it on new hardware is a travesty.

30 minutes ago, SCHISCHKA said:

Common response where ever i see someone associating with PCMR

Windows 7 is supported for a few more years, 2020 i believe. I have never heard of fucking Unix. What company produces an operating system called fucking?

EoL for Windows 7 was over two years ago. Aka no official technical support WHATSOEVER. It does gets slow rolling security patches until 2020 though.

LINK-> Kurald Galain:  The Night Eternal 

Top 5820k, 980ti SLI Build in the World*

CPU: i7-5820k // GPU: SLI MSI 980ti Gaming 6G // Cooling: Full Custom WC //  Mobo: ASUS X99 Sabertooth // Ram: 32GB Crucial Ballistic Sport // Boot SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB

Mass SSD: Crucial M500 960GB  // PSU: EVGA Supernova 850G2 // Case: Fractal Design Define S Windowed // OS: Windows 10 // Mouse: Razer Naga Chroma // Keyboard: Corsair k70 Cherry MX Reds

Headset: Senn RS185 // Monitor: ASUS PG348Q // Devices: Note 10+ - Surface Book 2 15"

LINK-> Ainulindale: Music of the Ainur 

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

CPU: Xeon E3-1231v3  // Cooling: Noctua L9x65 //  Mobo: AsRock E3C224D2I // Ram: 16GB Kingston ECC DDR3-1333

HDDs: 4x HGST Deskstar NAS 3TB  // PSU: EVGA 650GQ // Case: Fractal Design Node 304 // OS: FreeNAS

23 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

One shop will sell me a license for any version of Windows I want for like $20, going back to XP, because of how much I used to frequent the place.

Then please buy out the entire stock of XP licenses so no one else can have them :P 

1 minute ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

Then please buy out the entire stock of XP licenses so no one else can have them :P 

Thankfully, they'll only sell them to enthusiasts and IT professionals that know the security concerns and don't intend on using them for machines connected to a network.

I worked for a company called Biomark that actually has a WinXP machine because a piece of software they use doesn't work under any other version of Windows or with Wine. They also have a Win95 machine for the exact same reason.

I'm also still fond of the UI of XP.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Fierce Bloody Angel

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

28 minutes ago, TheKDub said:

This is my go-to for Windows and Office keys, although they raised their prices a few months back. I've seen some super cheap Windows 10 Pro keys pop up on Ebay for like $5. Essentially the same type of keys, but I wonder if they're more likely to get deactivated since it's being sold on Ebay.

COMIC SANS

YESSSSS! I love it!

I hate what Intel did with kaby lake. I have w10 and love my w7... I know, no dx12 for me ( I hate Microsoft for that too)

Intel i7 3770k@4.7GHz delidded NZXT Kraken x62 Asus P8Z77-V PRO/Thunderbolt | G.Skill Ripjaws Z 16GB (2x8GB) 2400Mhz | EVGA GTX 1070 FTW

Phanteks Eclipse P400 Tempered Glass | EVGA SuperNOVA 750W P2 | 840 evo 256gb + HyperX 3k 480gb + 2 HDD (2TB) Asus Essence STX + Sennheiser HD580

AOC G2460PG 144Hz 24" + Asus VH236H 23" | Razer Blackwidow Tournament Edition Stealth | Logitech G703

Windows 10 Pro

Pixelbook 2017 (i5, 8GB, 128GB)

40 minutes ago, Curufinwe_wins said:

EoL for Windows 7 was over two years ago. Aka no official technical support WHATSOEVER. It does gets slow rolling security patches until 2020 though.

you have confused end of life with end of sales. OEM windows 7 pro was only end of sales last year and will have extended support until Jan 14th 2020.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-nz/help/13853/windows-lifecycle-fact-sheet

Client operating systems and updates Date of general availability Retail software end of sales* End of sales for PCs with Windows preinstalled 
Windows XP  December 31, 2001  June 30, 2008  October 22, 2010
Windows Vista  January 30, 2007  October 22, 2010  October 22, 2011 
Windows 7 Home Basic, Home Premium, Ultimate October 22, 2009  October 31, 2013  October 31, 2014
Windows 7 Professional October 22, 2009  October 31, 2013  October 31, 2016
Windows 8  October 26, 2012  October 31, 2014  June 30, 2016 
Windows 8.1  October 18, 2013  September 1, 2015  October 31, 2016 
Windows 10 July 29, 2015  N/A N/A

* Note that when the retail software product reaches its end of sales date, it can still be purchased through OEMs (the company that made your PC) until it reaches the end of sales date for PCs with Windows preinstalled.

☼

ψ ︿_____︿_ψ_   

47 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

LTT staff need to learn the difference between a key and a license. You are missing out on business opportunities here

☼

ψ ︿_____︿_ψ_   

3 minutes ago, SCHISCHKA said:

you have confused end of life with end of sales. OEM windows 7 pro was only end of sales last year and will have extended support until Jan 14th 2020.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-nz/help/13853/windows-lifecycle-fact-sheet

Mainstream support ended on Jan 13th 2015

1 minute ago, SCHISCHKA said:

LTT staff need to learn the difference between a key and a license. You are missing out on business opportunities here

Oh yeah?  How?

Fight!

i5 2400 | ASUS RTX 4090 TUF OC | Seasonic 1200W Prime Gold | WD Green 120gb | WD Blue 1tb | some ram | a random case

8 hours ago, Space Reptile said:

-snip-

Not a linguist either but would confirm translation to be accurate.

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/334934-unofficial-ltt-beginners-guide/ (by Minibois) and a few things that will make our community interaction more pleasent:
1. FOLLOW your own topics                                                                                2.Try to QUOTE people so we can read through things easier
3.Use
PCPARTPICKER.COM - easy and most importantly approved here        4.Mark your topics SOLVED if they are                                
Don't change a running system

1 hour ago, Delicieuxz said:

Ridiculous and ignorant comment. You're screwing over PC users by pandering to Microsoft's bad business practices, deceitful marketing, shoddy modern QA, and anti-user OS designs.

Windows Vista to Windows 10 all run on basically the same kernel, and the differences between them, aside from Vista, are less major. A person who is running Windows 7 is already running Windows 10 - just without all the Windows 10 BS. And a person who is running Windows 10 is still running Windows 7, just with a whole lot of BS added on top. Other than the inconvenient crap, they're almost exactly the same OS. Windows 10 just rehashed that same OS, because Microsoft wants a revenue boost - and wants to get people's data through all the spyware that's been put into Windows 10.

And between the two, Windows 7 is less resource-heavy than Windows 10, on my machine (which has both installed).

Jesus, if I could gold this comment I would. Win 7 64-bit user for +5 years here, still holding strong. I feel like I'm an i5 2500k :D 

7 hours ago, Drak3 said:

Can't believe you made me look at that garbage with my own two eyes.

I think you are mistaking win2k for winME. Now THAT was a proper shitshow.

I deal in shitposts and shitpost accessories.

2 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

Mainstream support ended on Jan 13th 2015

https://support.microsoft.com/en-nz/help/17140/general-lifecycle-policy-questions

go to the section regarding the difference between mainstream and extended support. Unless you are a MS partner, software developer, or some special relationship to MS engineers, the mainstream support is unlikely to be relevant to you. Extended support with security updates is all a consumer needs to be concerned with. Whether your drivers will be supported isn't up to microsoft but third parties. 

5 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

Oh yeah?  How?

Unfortunately if you try to research online you get quite a bit of FUD and rubbish "research" by the likes of the BSA. I worked in anti-piracy for a few years and I'm happy to chat when I'm not busy. If you read the license agreements (who does that?) the product key is only one component of a license. A license is quite simply a contract. A key is a way to pass their DRM; it gives you the technical ability to use the software but does not give you the legal right. You have staff members that would have worked in sales and will know how crappy the margins are on OEM and retail software

☼

ψ ︿_____︿_ψ_   

1 minute ago, Urishima said:

I think you are mistaking win2k for winME. Now THAT was a proper shitshow.

It was all garbage. Some was functional garbage, we don't speak of the other garbage.

All garbage.

Trash.

Curufinwe's arguments in this thread.

Decaf coffee.

Refuse.

Rubbish.

I can't think of any more synonyms for garbage.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Fierce Bloody Angel

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.