YouTube Red is struggling to get subscribers.

goodtofufriday
Just now, Daring said:

there are lots of things you do on the internet that are more likely to give your malware than google ads but you do them anyways so this is just an excuse. and if you dont want tot take the risk then dont watch youtube

Just now, spartaman64 said:

there are lots of things you do on the internet that are more likely to give your malware than google ads but you do them anyways so this is just an excuse. and if you dont want tot take the risk then dont watch youtube

If I didn't want to take the risk then I wouldn't even use the internet. Google ads are everywhere.

I like YouTube Red. No ads, and I support all of my favorite YouTubers all the same (without direct monetary support.) I mostly use it for the Google Play Music subscription on my Android phone, but it's a nice bonus.

I used to be quite active here.

1 minute ago, Daring said:

If I didn't want to take the risk then I wouldn't even use the internet. Google ads are everywhere.

ESEA gives you malware utorrent gives you malware and yet you still download applications so using adblock on google ads you say its for malware as an excuse but really you dont want to be bothered

1 hour ago, spartaman64 said:

yes but you still need to go to their website so dont click on the ad

1 hour ago, spartaman64 said:

i never got viruses and i never heard of anyone else getting viruses from google so you probably got them somewhere else

Unfortunately, you're not correct. I wish you were. But in fact, you can get infected by malware that uses Zero-Day exploits discovered in things like Flash and HTML5 - often these exploits are unknown to anyone except the attacker, so there is literally nothing you can do to stop it.

You can get infected simply by having the infected ad load on a web page, whether you click it or not.

Any website or ad network can become compromised these days - although the odds of you coming across one are fairly slim. But that risk DOES exist.

I personally take the fairly small risk, and watch ads on YouTube because I want to support the creators. I would also pay for YT Red of it was available in Canada. But I cannot begrudge someone who won't take that risk.... Though I must say, they would stand on higher moral ground if they supported the channels in other ways (donating, buying merch, subbing to Red, etc).

People that use AdBlock - especially on their favourite YT Channels that they love and get a lot of entertainment and joy out of, but refuse to support in another way - I'm not a big fan of that.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

14 hours ago, SamStrecker said:

It would move to an alternative site

To what? dailymotion?

11 hours ago, dalekphalm said:

People that use AdBlock - especially on their favourite YT Channels that they love and get a lot of entertainment and joy out of, but refuse to support in another way - I'm not a big fan of that.

I can agree with your sentence "as is", but I would add that there's always higher demand at $0 than at a positive price. What I mean is: on top of the people who loves some youtubers and get a lot of entertainment from them, you have the marginal users, which every now and then watch some videos, and derive a little bit of entertainment from it. Those will be the first to fall if there is any payment to be made, may not even follow any specific creator, and may also enjoy not having adds in their random video watching. They probably wouldn't go crying in the corner if Youtube were to shut down. In that sense, it is normal for every free service to have a tier of users who are almost impossible to monetize (whether strictly impossible is more of a technological question).

On 11/3/2016 at 2:22 PM, corsairian said:

I like youtube red, I use it to background play the wan show and tech talk. only downside is it kills my battery. The music service is awesome too.

isn't it that way because even though your device is locked it's still processing the video?
i heard something like that.

Watch out for each other. Love everyone and forgive everyone, including yourself. Forgive your anger, forgive your guilt. Your shame. Your sadness. Embrace and open up your love, your joy, your truth, and most especially your heart. 
-Jim Hensen

I pay for Play Music so I supposedly have a Red membership... And yet I have no fucking clue what YouTube Red is. 

I have it. I watch YouTube so much that it's worth the $10/mo that it costs. More so than Netflix even.

12 minutes ago, Entropy said:

I pay for Play Music so I supposedly have a Red membership... And yet I have no fucking clue what YouTube Red is. 

If you live in the US (or 3 other small-ish countries), then you get Ad-Free YouTube videos, and there are also a small collection of YouTube Red exclusive videos.

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

On ‎11‎/‎4‎/‎2016 at 4:22 AM, spartaman64 said:

You must use it to not get advertisements on YouTube unless you don't watch YouTube 

Adblock is a thing

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

On ‎11‎/‎5‎/‎2016 at 11:56 AM, spartaman64 said:

ESEA gives you malware utorrent gives you malware and yet you still download applications so using adblock on google ads you say its for malware as an excuse but really you dont want to be bothered

Of course I don't want to be bothered. I don't want malware or ADs or anything annoying. I'm never gonna pay for YouTube.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

Just now, theninja35 said:

Sometimes you still get those stupid unskippable 2-minute ads which can often be avoided by refreshing the page multiple times.

From what I heard from a friend, YouTube is starting to detect if ADblock is used and not load the video if it is. Or they play an unskippable AD.

2 minutes ago, AluminiumTech said:

From what I heard from a friend, YouTube is starting to detect if ADblock is used and not load the video if it is. Or they play an unskippable AD.

Unskippable ads aren't bad and I definitely wouldn't spend $5 a month to get 2 minutes back every few days.

Now, videos that refuse to load is a problem. I'll just disable ad-blocker then and watch a 30 second ad.

16 minutes ago, AluminiumTech said:

Of course I don't want to be bothered. I don't want malware or ADs or anything annoying. I'm never gonna pay for YouTube.

then dont use the service

The thing is that YouTube Red has really, really cheezy. cliche and just plain bad originals. I mean the thing is, YouTubers won't ever get to movie or TV quality. One good example if Fred, the TV show, and the movie failed. Also look at Smosh, they have a really bad movie. What I am trying to say is that the 1 to 8-minute videos they make won't be good in a TV show or movie setting. Either they have to change their style or not do YouTube Red at all.

print "Hello World"

2 hours ago, AluminiumTech said:

Adblock is a thing

True. But Adblock prevents the content creator from making money off of you. I would 100% pay for YouTube Red to legally skip the ads and ensure that LMG and other channels I subscribe to make a much bigger cut from me, compared to me watching an ad.

But I have a job, and I'm not a kid anymore, so maybe that's why I have this perspective. I can afford the $10 a month (or whatever YT Red costs).

1 hour ago, pompom15 said:

The thing is that YouTube Red has really, really cheezy. cliche and just plain bad originals. I mean the thing is, YouTubers won't ever get to movie or TV quality. One good example if Fred, the TV show, and the movie failed. Also look at Smosh, they have a really bad movie. What I am trying to say is that the 1 to 8-minute videos they make won't be good in a TV show or movie setting. Either they have to change their style or not do YouTube Red at all.

Guess what - Netflix used to be known for really cheesy shitty direct-to-dvd-knockoffs of big Hollywood releases, and old 90's action movies.

Now? They produce some of the very best original content available today.

Just because YouTube Red has shitty exclusive content right now, doesn't mean anything. It just means they need to recruit much better content creators. You don't even need to throw a large budget at it - look at The Guild for example. A great show, made on a shoestring budget.

1 hour ago, dalekphalm said:

True. But Adblock prevents the content creator from making money off of you. I would 100% pay for YouTube Red to legally skip the ads and ensure that LMG and other channels I subscribe to make a much bigger cut from me, compared to me watching an ad.

But I have a job, and I'm not a kid anymore, so maybe that's why I have this perspective. I can afford the $10 a month (or whatever YT Red costs).

Guess what - Netflix used to be known for really cheesy shitty direct-to-dvd-knockoffs of big Hollywood releases, and old 90's action movies.

Now? They produce some of the very best original content available today.

Just because YouTube Red has shitty exclusive content right now, doesn't mean anything. It just means they need to recruit much better content creators. You don't even need to throw a large budget at it - look at The Guild for example. A great show, made on a shoestring budget.

If the content is worthwhile then I'll donate. Otherwise it's not worth that fraction of a cent per YouTube Red watch time minutes.

22 minutes ago, AluminiumTech said:

If the content is worthwhile then I'll donate. Otherwise it's not worth that fraction of a cent per YouTube Red watch time minutes.

Yeah, give to those making content while leeching from the one hosting the content because thats not bad for the service at all... -_-

On 11/3/2016 at 6:04 PM, typographie said:

https://thestack.com/world/2016/04/21/sites-that-block-adblockers-seem-to-be-suffering/

This article seems to suggest that the sites that block users with AdBlock are suffering a major decline in traffic. There are problems with looking at it this way, but that conclusion does make sense. However, I would argue that even if raw traffic numbers are lower due to the loss of AdBlocking users, those users weren't making them any money to begin with. They might be restricting their user base and generating poorer public relations, though, which might be damaging in the long run.

I definitely don't think they're benefiting, though. I can't imagine a lot of people disabling their AdBlock just to read a Forbes article that another news outlet probably also reported on.

This. If I stumble upon an article or content and am faced with a wall or ads, I simply leave. Same if I happen upon a news source that's behind a paywall or that I've viewed their limit of "complementary" articles. I simply leave and find another outlet with that story.

I really don't think companies have grasped this new age just yet.

42 minutes ago, divito said:

This. If I stumble upon an article or content and am faced with a wall or ads, I simply leave. Same if I happen upon a news source that's behind a paywall or that I've viewed their limit of "complementary" articles. I simply leave and find another outlet with that story.

I really don't think companies have grasped this new age just yet.

i dont think people like you understand economics. hosting a website costs money. if you wont pay or have ads then how do you suggest that they make their money?

1 minute ago, spartaman64 said:

i dont think people like you understand economics. hosting a website costs money. if you wont pay or have ads then how do you suggest that they make their money?

I understand fine; it affords the same method as 'piracy as a market correction.' They make their business choice, and I make my consumer choice. If they don't appeal to enough people, their business suffers and/or disappears. That says nothing towards all the outfits producing content for which there is no appreciable demand; another aspect of poor business choices.

1 minute ago, divito said:

I understand fine; it affords the same method as 'piracy as a market correction.' They make their business choice, and I make my consumer choice. If they don't appeal to enough people, their business suffers and/or disappears. That says nothing towards all the outfits producing content for which there is no appreciable demand; another aspect of poor business choices.

if they dont appeal to you then why are you on their website? you either compensate them by viewing the ads or dont use their service