Unbox Therapy's Latest Video is a Joke...

KaminKevCrew

So, Here's the video in question

Anyway, I wanted to make this post as a way to show that people should NOT follow the advice of Tech youtubers when it comes to headphones. You see, he's talking about a pair of headphones that have six drivers per earcup. This has been done before; Razer Tiamat 7.1/Other "true" surround sound headphones. Here's the issue: You can't actually tell direction based on the positioning of the drivers in the earcup. That's all determined by the timing for the sound to reach from one ear to another. As such, you still need surround processing, or actual speakers that are placed around the room. 

Basically, my point is that tech reviewers like to test out "new" or interesting products, and then they try to form an opinion when they have no real experience with (particularly) audio. 

Oh, and if you want to look at headphones that have more than one driver per ear, then look no further than any of the multitude of IEMs that use Balanced Armature Drivers. There are some that have as many as 12 drivers per ear, if not more. But guess what? Those are not designed to make the sound more spacious. You see, Balanced armature drivers, due to their miniscule size, are generally only capable of reproducing a small section of the audio spectrum. As such, manufacturers will put more than one size/type of BA driver in the earphones, in order to improve the sound of the earphones. This is actually how you make good sound, not by claiming that you'll get better directional audio by putting multiple (probably worse) drivers in a headphone.

Hey! New SIgnature! 

I'm supposedly a person on the Internet, but you'll never know if I'm human or not ;)

I literally wrote a 1 paragraph comment about this on his vid lmao

-----> Official Unofficial Favorite Keyswitch Type Survey <-----

OWNER OF THE FASTEST INTEL iGPU ON LTT UNIGINE SUPERPOSITION [lol]

GAMING RIG "SNOWBLIND"

CPU i5-13600k | COOLING Corsair H150i Elite Capellix 360mm (White) | MOTHERBOARD Gigabyte Z690 Aero G DDR4 | GPU Gigabyte RTX 3070 Vision OC (White) | RAM  16GB Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB (White)SSD Samsung 980 Pro 1TB | PSU ASUS STRIX 850W (White)CASE  Phanteks G360a (White) | HEADPHONES  Beyerdynamic DT990 Pro | KEYBOARD Zoom75 (KTT Strawberry w/ GMK British Racing Green keycaps) | MOUSE  Cooler Master MM711 (White) MONITOR HP X32 1440p 165hz IPS

WORK RIG "OVERPRICED BRICK"

Mac Studio (M2 Ultra / 128GB / 1TB) | HEADPHONES  AirPods Pro 2 | KEYBOARD Logitech MX Mechanical Mini | MOUSE  Logitech MX Master 3S MONITOR 2x Dell 4K 32"

SECONDARY RIG "ALCATRAZ"

CPU i7-4770K OC @ 4.3GHz | COOLING Cryorig M9i (review| MOTHERBOARD ASUS Z87-PROGPU Gigabyte 1650 Super Windforce OC | RAM  16GB Crucial Ballistix Sport DDR3 1600 MHzSSD Samsung 860 Evo 512GB | HDD Toshiba 3TB 7200RPMPSU EVGA SuperNOVA NEX 750WCASE  NZXT H230 | HEADPHONES  Sony WH-1000XM3  | KEYBOARD Corsair STRAFE - Cherry MX Brown | MOUSE  Logitech G602 MONITOR LG 34UM58-P 34" Ultrawide

HOLA NIGHT THEMERS

GET YOUR ASS ON NIGHT THEME

OTHER TECH I OWN:

MacBook Pro 16" [M1 Pro/32GB/1TB] | 2022 Volkswagen GTI | iPhone 14 Pro | Sony a6000 | Apple Watch Series 8 45mm | 2018 MBP 15" | Lenovo Flex 3 [i7-5500U, HD5500 (fastest on the forum), 8GB RAM, 256GB Samsung 840 Evo] | PS5, Xbox One & Nintendo Switch [Home Theater setup] | DJI Phantom 3 Standard | AirPods 2 | Jaybird Freedom (two pairs) & X2 [long story, PM if you want to know why I have 3 pairs of Jaybirds]

People take him seriously even though he posts almost entirely click-baity garbage?

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

2 minutes ago, djdwosk97 said:

People take him seriously even though he posts almost entirely click-baity garbage?

I have no idea. I just thought I would check out the video to see if he had anything true to say. Turns out I was (unsurprisingly) disappointed.

Hey! New SIgnature! 

I'm supposedly a person on the Internet, but you'll never know if I'm human or not ;)

8 minutes ago, KaminKevCrew said:

So, Here's the video in question

Anyway, I wanted to make this post as a way to show that people should NOT follow the advice of Tech youtubers when it comes to headphones....

Basically, my point is that tech reviewers like to test out "new" or interesting products, and then they try to form an opinion when they have no real experience with (particularly) audio. 

Let's be honest though. I have a strong belief of first impressions. His name is "UNBOX Therapy". That name gives no indication of tech knowledge or information to be on his channel.

Spoiler

And yes I know his channels "About" tab including him as showcasing "surprising gadgets and technology" 

He is there to unbox and that is what he did. 

He is not a "Tech" YouTuber. He is an Unboxing channel. 

Spoiler

i7-6700k OC'd 4.5Ghz, Noctua NH-D15, EVGA GEFORCE GTX 1070 SC

4 minutes ago, Axeonelite said:

Let's be honest though. I have a strong belief of first impressions. His name is "UNBOX Therapy". That name gives no indication of tech knowledge or information to be on his channel.

Reveal hidden contents

And yes I know his channels "About" tab including him as showcasing "surprising gadgets and technology" 

He is there to unbox and that is what he did. 

He is not a "Tech" YouTuber. He is an Unboxing channel. 

To be fair, he's just as bad as any number of other tech reviewers that try to dabble in audio...

Hey! New SIgnature! 

Just now, KaminKevCrew said:

To be fair, he's just as bad as any number of other tech reviewers that try to dabble in audio...

Agreed. I personally do not watch his channel. (Watch in the sense of continuous viewing, I have seen his video just not regularly)

And Personally audio is not that big of a deal to me. I use my Razer Kraken Pro for everything from my PC, Laptop, iPad, and Note 5 and that's OK for me.

Spoiler

Just now, Axeonelite said:

Agreed. I personally do not watch his channel. (Watch in the sense of continuous viewing, I have seen his video just not regularly)

And Personally audio is not that big of a deal to me. I use my Razer Kraken Pro for everything from my PC, Laptop, iPad, and Note 5 and that's OK for me.

I don't regularly watch him either. From what I've seen, most of his videos are a joke...

While I personally don't like the Krakens, as long as you're happy with them, I have no problem with that. :)

Hey! New SIgnature! 

All his videos is a joke.

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Try to make sense of what you see and wonder about what makes the universe exist. Be curious. And however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at. 
It matters that you don't just give up.”

-Stephen Hawking

Just now, KaminKevCrew said:

I don't regularly watch him either. From what I've seen, most of his videos are a joke...

While I personally don't like the Krakens, as long as you're happy with them, I have no problem with that. :)

Thank you for understanding. Haha yeah I admit they are different but it was the first headphones I bought that weren't skullcandy. I bought then over 2 years ago when I was on the Razer hype train but they haven't had an issue yet. I will replace with something from I get information on from a reputable reviewer once they break. 

Spoiler

Whenever his videos are on my monitor, its either because of youtubes autoplay or I just needed some background noise while I work. The actual content is just trashy

Community Standards || Tech News Posting Guidelines

---======================================================================---

CPU: R5 3600 || GPU: RTX 3070|| Memory: 32GB @ 3200 || Cooler: Scythe Big Shuriken || PSU: 650W EVGA GM || Case: NR200P

2 minutes ago, Axeonelite said:

Thank you for understanding. Haha yeah I admit they are different but it was the first headphones I bought that weren't skullcandy. I bought then over 2 years ago when I was on the Razer hype train but they haven't had an issue yet. I will replace with something from I get information on from a reputable reviewer once they break. 

I mean, in my opinion, if someone is happy with the sound they're getting, there's no reason to get anything else. It's only if something isn't working right, or you don't like the sound that you should change something.

Hey! New SIgnature! 

NCIX is a joke , same with Hardware Canucks , YouTube channels that loose their passion to know more or think differently, start posting garbage. NCIX was once a very good channel, now they are just reviewing stuff that people will not buy and their informal channel shows their ignorance. 

Do not get me started on HC. 

42 minutes ago, Jonnyswboy said:

We have two ears. The drivers are too close to each other to matter for surround sound.

Surround sound in headphones uses different timing in each ear-cup to simulate actual sound waves reaching one ear first. Actual surround sound with multiple speakers places in the room works because the drivers are actually in different places around the room. The people who play competitive shooters and actually need good directional sound use open backed stereo headphones for a reason.

UnboxTherapy is basically an infomercial platform at this point.

Isn't that literally what I said in the OP?

Hey! New SIgnature! 

God, I can't believe people watch Unbox Therapy.  He doesn't know shit about anything.  He makes videos of hot items but gives the consumer no information just the box specs and hype.  Like that one time he did a Darkvoice video, uses his iPhone as a source, and the HD8DJ as headphone of choice.  Hello? HD8DJ is like 90ohms, and the Darkvoice most definitely has more than 1/8 of that in output impedance.

And those "Unboxing All iPhone Colors" shit just drives me insane, people can literally go to any Apple store and look at the colors there.

EDIT: got HD8's impedence incorrect.

AD2000x Review  Fitear To Go! 334 Review

Speakers - KEF LSX

Headphones - Sennheiser HD650, Kumitate Labs KL-Lakh

Regardless of whether 'Unboxing Therapy' is a joke or not, it's quite possible some would take his opinions/impressions seriously enough to buy that can based on what he'd said. He'd made a meal of the number of drivers in each cup, but all of us here know that number of drivers used in a can doesn't necessarily make for good surround sound. BTW, this is the first, and last time I've watched that youtuber.....for sure!

Main Rig: AMD AM4 R9 5900X (12C/24T) + Tt Water 3.0 ARGB 360 AIO | Gigabyte X570 Aorus Xtreme | 2x 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3600C16 | XFX MERC 310 RX 7900 XTX | 256GB Sabrent Rocket NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen 3.0 (OS) | 4TB Lexar NM790 NVMe M.2 PCIe4x4 | 2TB TG Cardea Zero Z440 NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen4x4 | 4TB Samsung 860 EVO SATA SSD | 2TB Samsung 860 QVO SATA SSD | 6TB WD Black HDD | CoolerMaster H500M | Corsair HX1000 Platinum | Topre Type Heaven + Seenda Ergonomic W/L Vertical Mouse + 8BitDo Ultimate 2.4G | iFi Micro iDSD Black Label | Philips Fidelio B97 | C49HG90DME 49" 32:9 144Hz Freesync 2 | Omnidesk Pro 2020 48" | 64bit Win11 Pro 23H2

2nd Rig: AMD AM4 R9 3900X + TR PA 120 SE | Gigabyte X570S Aorus Elite AX | 2x 16GB Patriot Viper Elite II DDR4 4000MHz | Sapphire Nitro+ RX 6900 XT | 500GB Crucial P2 Plus NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen 4.0 (OS)2TB Adata Legend 850 NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen4x4 |  2TB Kingston NV2 NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen4x4 | 4TB Leven JS600 SATA SSD | 2TB Seagate HDD | Keychron K2 + Logitech G703 | SOLDAM XR-1 Black Knight | Enermax MAXREVO 1500 | 64bit Win11 Pro 23H2

Reminds me of Dmitry Novoselov at Hardware Canucks. The guy owns a pair of Sennheiser HD 800s and he has reviewed cans like the Audeze LCD-2, but he still appears to take "gaming" headsets seriously, so he's either truly acting and not providing us with an honest opinion/review or his ears are just completely broken.

Oh no....

Not to mention he does the surround test on a phone and it connects via a single 3.5mm...

n0ah1897, on 05 Mar 2014 - 2:08 PM, said:  "Computers are like girls. It's whats in the inside that matters.  I don't know about you, but I like my girls like I like my cases. Just as beautiful on the inside as the outside."

50 minutes ago, Trollbot said:

Reminds me of Dmitry Novoselov at Hardware Canucks. The guy owns a pair of Sennheiser HD 800s and he has reviewed cans like the Audeze LCD-2, but he still appears to take "gaming" headsets seriously, so he's either truly acting and not providing us with an honest opinion/review or his ears are just completely broken.

Yeah. I stopped watching Hardware Canucks after I watched a headset video a while ago that seemed like they took some money for it.

Hey! New SIgnature! 

7 hours ago, Comic_Sans_MS said:

NCIX is a joke , same with Hardware Canucks , YouTube channels that loose their passion to know more or think differently, start posting garbage. NCIX was once a very good channel, now they are just reviewing stuff that people will not buy and their informal channel shows their ignorance. 

Do not get me started on HC. 

yeah I stopped watching HC after they were a bit rude to me, because I tweeted to them that their new vessel video was a joke, because they said the sound signature of the hyperx stinger or was it revolver was better than the normal clouds. They said that without any IMO before saying it. Sure you can argue that sound is always objective and that you should expect a review to be opinion based, but how many people are now thinking that there is such a thing as better sound signature now.

How they should have done it, they should talk about how they sound aka the sound signature and then they can "personally I enjoy this sound more than the clouds sound". Not this headset has a better sound signature...

I once liked them for their case reviews, but fuck them, they can just fuck off now. They are so incompetent.

Before you buy amp and dac.  My thoughts on the M50x  Ultimate Ears Reference monitor review I might have a thing for audio...

My main Headphones and IEMs:  K612 pro, HD 25 and Ultimate Ears Reference Monitor, HD 580 with HD 600 grills

DAC and AMP: RME ADI 2 DAC

Speakers: Genelec 8040, System Audio SA205

Receiver: Denon AVR-1612

Desktop: R7 1700, GTX 1080  RX 580 8GB and other stuff

Laptop: ThinkPad P50: i7 6820HQ, M2000M. ThinkPad T420s: i7 2640M, NVS 4200M

Feel free to pm me if you have a question for me or quote me. If you want to hear what I have to say about something just tag me.

i liked the unbox therapy videos when the dude reviewed cheap junk off eBay, I found him quite entertaining reviewing junk. I think the sponsored videos are rubbish, but its just videos of opening boxes isn't it? Do you think for the real products, maybe they should just stick to reviewing the packaging?

☼

ψ ︿_____︿_ψ_   

4 hours ago, SCHISCHKA said:

i liked the unbox therapy videos when the dude reviewed cheap junk off eBay, I found him quite entertaining reviewing junk. I think the sponsored videos are rubbish, but its just videos of opening boxes isn't it? Do you think for the real products, maybe they should just stick to reviewing the packaging?

I mean, unboxing as a whole is pretty much dead. Unbox Therapy is the only popular channel I'm aware of that still does them on a regular basis. 

Also, reviewing packaging is kind of pointless. As long as the item in question gets to you safely, it doesn't really matter how nice or how crappy different packaging is...

Hey! New SIgnature! 

The video aside, how the hell are these headphones even supposed to work? 

At first I thought they tried taking the speaker route and having different drivers for different frequencies, which is certainly intersting. 

But judging from the video and Bluedio's marketing material, It would seem like they are supposed to do both surround sound and frequencie seperation, but that doesn't make any sense since neither the cable nor Bluetooth supports more than 2 channels. 

The crossover circuitry also has be pretty crazy for the frequency seperation to work and for the circuitry to fit inside the earcup.

One thing is for certain, if these ever go on a sale for >50% off I'm buying them just out of curiosity. 

I'm intrigued from the Amazon description alone

Capture.PNG

Nova doctrina terribilis sit perdere

Audio format guides: Vinyl records | Cassette tapes

Your being a little unfair to the product since no where does it state its got special surround sound capability or spatial shit. It just says it has multiple drivers to produce a better sound. (but then again the only info im finding is from there Chinese website and google translate) I also cant find any tech specs wiring diagrams or anything useful, so who knows how it works or whats its doing because im not wasting my money to work it out.
If I was the owner of the company Id be quite pissed with the guy since he is basically selling the product on a merit it doesn't have.

52 minutes ago, Ahoy Hoy said:

Your being a little unfair to the product since no where does it state its got special surround sound capability or spatial shit. It just says it has multiple drivers to produce a better sound. (but then again the only info im finding is from there Chinese website and google translate) I also cant find any tech specs wiring diagrams or anything useful, so who knows how it works or whats its doing because im not wasting my money to work it out.
If I was the owner of the company Id be quite pissed with the guy since he is basically selling the product on a merit it doesn't have.

Read the post above yours that has the amazon description in it.

Hey! New SIgnature!