Windows 10 Anniversary Update - Here is everything you need to know - OUT NOW!

GoodBytes
8 hours ago, GoodBytes said:

Meh.. it just followed myths and what people wanted to hear.

Except the sleep mode, reduced page file and so on.

Anyway, there was that, but cs go was also reconfigured and caused crashes all the time. Had to delete configuration files to reacquire them to be able to play it again.

Some Gpu drivers parameters also were modified, fortunately nothing important.

I just wish they fixed RTC bias, that's so inconvenient for me to be unable to get scores for CPU on HWBot...

CPU: Intel i7 5820K @ 4.20 GHz | MotherboardMSI X99S SLI PLUS | RAM: Corsair LPX 16GB DDR4 @ 2666MHz | GPU: Sapphire R9 Fury (x2 CrossFire)
Storage: Samsung 950Pro 512GB // OCZ Vector150 240GB // Seagate 1TB | PSU: Seasonic 1050 Snow Silent | Case: NZXT H440 | Cooling: Nepton 240M
FireStrike // Extreme // Ultra // 8K // 16K

8 hours ago, TheGosuStandard said:

I've never really dealt with the registry before, I created a new key in Microsoft for WindowsInkWorkspace. Would I create  AllowSuggestedAppsInWindowsInkWorkspace  as a sub-key under that? 

no. AllowSuggestedAppsInWindowsInkWorkspace, is a DWORD within WindowsInkWorkspace.

Capture.PNG

Needs to look like the above image.

8 hours ago, TheGosuStandard said:

I've never really dealt with the registry before, I created a new key in Microsoft for WindowsInkWorkspace. Would I create  AllowSuggestedAppsInWindowsInkWorkspace  as a sub-key under that? 

I never suggest to anyone to mess with their Registry Editor unless they have an understanding of what they are doing.

Make you take take notes of what you do, so in case you have to put it back.

1 minute ago, GoodBytes said:

no. AllowSuggestedAppsInWindowsInkWorkspace, is a DWORD within WindowsInkWorkspace.

<snip>

Needs to look like the above image.

Could you open that DWORD so he can see what it looks like? So he gets it right... :) 

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

1 hour ago, SansVarnic said:

Could you open that DWORD so he can see what it looks like? So he gets it right... :) 

Capture.PNG

Finally got the second-last-version-before-the-aniversary-one installed on this laptop with its mobility Radeon HD5650+HD4250. Hopefully the anniversary update doesn't break the current driver config (Catalyst Beta 13.4 for the MR HD4250, any newer drivers for the MRHD5650-I used Catalyst 15.7.1 and let Windows 10 update it to the latest, then disabled display driver updates and reverted then "updated the 4250 back to the 13.4 beta driver). I don't have use of the HD4250 any more-but that's no loss as with a 300MHz underclock the 5650 outperforms the 4250 by a lot, consumes less power and has 1GB dedicated DDR3 1600, not 64MB dedicated DDR2 800 and 256MB shared DDR3 1333.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

I am not looking forward to the new start menu. Looks like a downgrade to me. 

Blarg

2 hours ago, Dabombinable said:

Finally got the second-last-version-before-the-aniversary-one installed on this laptop with its mobility Radeon HD5650+HD4250. Hopefully the anniversary update doesn't break the current driver config (Catalyst Beta 13.4 for the MR HD4250, any newer drivers for the MRHD5650-I used Catalyst 15.7.1 and let Windows 10 update it to the latest, then disabled display driver updates and reverted then "updated the 4250 back to the 13.4 beta driver). I don't have use of the HD4250 any more-but that's no loss as with a 300MHz underclock the 5650 outperforms the 4250 by a lot, consumes less power and has 1GB dedicated DDR3 1600, not 64MB dedicated DDR2 800 and 256MB shared DDR3 1333.

Expect that it will re-install all drivers, and use what it has from Windows Update.

So I plugged my XBox 360 controller to my PC. First time in this build, and Windows did it's usual thing in detecting new hardware, and then...

Image2.png

As I have the Linux subsystem for Bash installed, it looks like it supports added external hardware and it started and installs the new drivers itself. That means it has access to system hardware directly! This is crazy! It means that Microsoft was not shitting around for the implementation of Linux subsystem. This is the real deal!

If you wonder, once it was done, the window closed, like nothing happened.

A friend of mine manage to install PHP and Apache on it and run his own mini web server. Apparently, no trickeries needed to get it work. It worked as if you were native Linux.

On 7/31/2016 at 0:40 AM, GoodBytes said:

How do I use the android messaging features?

✨PC Specs✨

AMD Ryzen 7 3800X | MSI MPG B550 Gaming Plus | 16GB Team T-Force 3400MHz | Zotac GTX 1080 AMP EXTREME

BeQuiet Dark Rock Pro 4 Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | NZXT 750W | Phanteks Eclipse P400A

Extras: ASUS Zephyrus G14 (2021) | OnePlus 7 Pro | Fully restored Robosapien V2, Omnibot 2000, Omnibot 5402

5 minutes ago, ShadowTechXTS said:

How do I use the android messaging features?

I don't have an active Android system. But from my understanding, you need to install Cortana on the phone, use the same Microsoft account as your desktop, and start the Messaging app in Windows 10, then click on the "...", then on Settings, and you should have the option to enable it. Check the Cortana app on your phone, and the Cortana options on your desktop also. Things might moved if there is nothing under the Settings panel of Messaging. I know Microsoft pulled the plug on Windows 10 Mobile device at the last minute, despite working perfectly, and MS said that they'll integrate it in the new Skype App. I think your Android phone cannot be encrypted as well (not sure).

I am going absolutely insane with this update.

Post-update I cannot play BF4. Whenever I try to join a server or even launch the campaign, it pops up on the task bar momentarily and then goes away and runs in the background. The battlescreen shows that I am in game, however. When I kill the task, battlelog shows that I quit the server. IF I am fast enough to click on BF4 in the taskbar before it goes away, it crashes with the typical "Battlefield 4 has stopped responding" error message. I tried for about an hour to solve this issue with various different methods I found online, and nothing works.

I decided to say fuck it and play some csgo, and boy.. I was locked down to 72 FPS. That was an annoying matchmaking game. I found someone's post in here about Game DVR being enabled by default, so I went ahead and disabled that. That solved the CSGO issue, but not the BF4 issue.

7 hours ago, GoodBytes said:

Expect that it will re-install all drivers, and use what it has from Windows Update.

Well, that makes DDU my new friend-it even disables the automatic display driver updates in Windows 10 (although I just set them to hidden). Disabling display driver updates is actually critical for laptops with configurations that aren't supported by AMD (they point the finger towards OEM for updates) and were never supported by the OEM past the original 2010/2011 drivers.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

Live thumbnail preview is broken and won't close off when mouse if move away from it.

Open up anything, say a web browser. Hover mouse over to the icon at the task bar. A live thumbnail should appear.

Move mouse away from that, live thumb nail does not close, it just stays there with a "X" on it. Pre-1607 does not do this.

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

Microsoft releases an update for the Anniversary Update already. It brings the build number from 14393.5 to 14393.51. It is a simple update, not a whole OS upgrade.

22 hours ago, NumLock21 said:

Live thumbnail preview is broken and won't close off when mouse if move away from it.

Open up anything, say a web browser. Hover mouse over to the icon at the task bar. A live thumbnail should appear.

Move mouse away from that, live thumb nail does not close, it just stays there with a "X" on it. Pre-1607 does not do this.

Hmm, while I recall this issue under Windows 7 on rare occasions, a reboot usually fixes it. I never had this issue under Win8 or Win10, however :/.

Do you still get this if you have an unactivated windows account or do you have to reinstall windows. If so is it worth it or should I just stick with my older download.

Sorry if this has already been asked.

27 minutes ago, Wrb said:

Do you still get this if you have an unactivated windows account or do you have to reinstall windows. If so is it worth it or should I just stick with my older download.

Sorry if this has already been asked.

I don't understand what you are asking... :/

Just now, GoodBytes said:

I don't understand what you are asking... :/

Basically, my windows is unactivated (I have no key) and I was wondering if I still get the update (and other updates as well) as you can't do certain things with an unactivated windows account.

Sorry if this is confusing, I'm quite tired

10 minutes ago, Wrb said:

Basically, my windows is unactivated (I have no key) and I was wondering if I still get the update (and other updates as well) as you can't do certain things with an unactivated windows account.

I honestly don't know. Try and see.

47 minutes ago, Wrb said:

36 minutes ago, GoodBytes said:

I honestly don't know. Try and see.

I may be wrong but you should be able to get system updates as long as you are within your 30 day trial period after that you need a key/license and activate your OS.

I cannot say if you will after your 30 day as that will be discussing things against the CS.

I hope that helps.

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

7 hours ago, GoodBytes said:

Hmm, while I recall this issue under Windows 7 on rare occasions, a reboot usually fixes it. I never had this issue under Win8 or Win10, however :/.

Just found out, it only does it on my netbook and not my desktop. Time to format and do a clean install.

Speaking of reinstall, did it on a friend's machine, a few days ago. And windows 10 still activates cause he got it free with digital rights.

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list