Microsoft releases a full-screen "Get Windows 10" upgrade notification

evilarceus
5 hours ago, Dabombinable said:

Doesn't chancge the fact that no matter what colour or screen resolution that you actually have to look for the optoins that limit and cancel the notification and are difficult to see. Its the exact same for the settings during Windows 10's installation that turn off the telementary (including the keylogger that was supposed to be completely removed from the post technical preview Windows 10). As it stands if anyone in the family wants to upgrade to Windows 10 (anyone), they ask me to do it for them (and to test the updates-glad I've got a laptop that only works with Windows 10 to test updates as a few did cause issues).

In insider builds, the keylogger only activated when you decided to send feedback and reproduce the steps to cause a bug. This keylogger does not exist in the commercial release of Windows 10.

If you're referring to the "send microsoft info about how I write" setting, then that isn't a keylogger in the traditional sense, and more like a text analysis engine. 

This is the inking and typing function, which users can turn off at any time. Microsoft does not collect any personal information via inking or typing. It is gathered for product improvement purposes, for example, to improve the handwriting visual translation engine, or to improve the user dictionary, language library and spell check functions in Windows. The data is put through rigorous, multi-pass scrubs to ensure it does not collect sensitive or identifiable fields (e.g., no email addresses, passwords, alpha-numerical data, etc.). Data is also chopped into very small bits and stripped of sequence data so it cannot be put back together or identified. The data samplings collected are limited; Microsoft is not capturing everything you write, nor is it capturing data every time.

Ryzen 9 5950x | NH-D15 | ROG STRIX X570-F | G.Skill 32GB DDR4 | MSI Ventus RTX 3080 | WD Black SN850 1TB PCIe 4 | Samsung 850 EVO + 860 EVO 1TB | Corsair 5000D Airflow

Dell S3422DWG | Dell S2721DGF | Corsair K70 RGB Keyboard | Logitech G502 Lightspeed | ATH-R70x

21 hours ago, MimigaKing said:

Is that "Upgrade now" button pre-selected as soon as the pop-up comes up?

That's bull! Example. I'm playing a game and/or typing something and the pop-up comes up as I was about to press "Enter"... Boom, upgrade has started... WHAT?&

Reminds me of the twitch streamer that had his Windows machine deciding to upgrade mid-game.

As he used a capture PC you could see Windows just excusing itself for 'a moment' and then procedding to instal Windows 10.

Well, shouldn't have clicked the [X] in the notification

- Microsoft

1 hour ago, Bleedingyamato said:

If they're using Window 8 maybe.  But 7 was the best thing since XP as far as I'm concerned.

Windows 10 is basically Windows 7 with a bit of 8 mixed in... If you ask me, there are very few excuses (that aren't complete dogshit) as to why you should not upgrade to Windows 10 at this point. 

At least this offers a clear option to not be asked again.  And I can understand them wanting to make sure people actually read this at least once and think about it.  If they say no, it would be nice if it was because they actually meant to and not because they were just in the habit of closing anything that pops up on them.  Ignore this and you'll be missing out on the upgrade, so I can understand them wanting to make sure people see it.

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

6 minutes ago, khothmod said:

Windows 10 is basically Windows 7 with a bit of 8 mixed in... If you ask me, there are very few excuses (that aren't complete dogshit) as to why you should not upgrade to Windows 10 at this point. 

For me the big thing that 10 does that really annoys me is the forced Windows updates.  My computer should do my bidding not tell me it's going to update and restart when IT wants to.  Which is made all more ridiculous since most Windows 7 updates did NOT require restarts and even the ones that did could be at least delayed indefinitely until I felt like restarting.

So this alone is enough reason not to use 10 unless you're using 8 which likes to pretend it's a tablet and a desktop but fails at both.

2 minutes ago, Bleedingyamato said:

For me the big thing that 10 does that really annoys me is the forced Windows updates.  My computer should do my bidding not tell me it's going to update and restart when IT wants to.  Which is made all more ridiculous since most Windows 7 updates did NOT require restarts and even the ones that did could be at least delayed indefinitely until I felt like restarting.

So this alone is enough reason not to use 10 unless you're using 8 which likes to pretend it's a tablet and a desktop but fails at both.

Hey, I have a solution to that issue!

TURN OFF AUTOMATIC UPDATES

3 minutes ago, khothmod said:

Hey, I have a solution to that issue!

TURN OFF AUTOMATIC UPDATES

You can't.  The only options for Windows 10 updates are Windows automatically downloads updates and it decides when to restart supposedly when you're not doing anything or Windows downloads updates automatically and gives you a few bs choices of how soon you want it to restart.  

Either way updates are downloaded without my consent and a restart is forced on me it's just a matter of do I want to be angry now or in a few hours.

image.jpeg

3 minutes ago, Bleedingyamato said:

You can't.  The only options for Windows 10 updates are Windows automatically downloads updates and it decides when to restart supposedly when you're not doing anything or Windows downloads updates automatically and gives you a few bs choices of how soon you want it to restart.  

Either way updates are downloaded without my consent and a restart is forced on me it's just a matter of do I want to be angry now or in a few hours.

*snip*

That "notify" option is all I use too, and it's worked just fine for me:

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

29 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

That "notify" option is all I use too, and it's worked just fine for me:

It hasn't been too bad for a while now but I think that's just because I happen to shut down my computer often enough that when there happen to be updates to install it just does it then.  But the main issue still remains that users no longer have full control over their PCs.  Updates can potentially cause problems and previously users could avoid updates that weren't safe to use but now if there's a buggy update many users may be forced to install it and suffer through it until MS releases an update to fix the problem causes by the previous update.  

U wot m8

windows10atari.png

Just give two options, MS! YES AND NO!!!

Athlon X2 for only 27.31$   Best part lists at different price points   Windows 1.01 running natively on an Eee PC

My rig:

Spoiler

Celeronator (new main rig)

CPU: Intel Celeron (duh) N2840 2.16GHz Dual Core

RAM: 4GB DDR3 1333MHz

HDD: Seagate 500GB

GPU: Intel HD Graphics 3000 Series

Spoiler

Frankenhertz (ex main rig)

CPU: Intel Atom N2600 1.6GHz Dual Core

RAM: 1GB DDR3-800

HDD: HGST 320GB

GPU: Intel Graphics Media Accelerator (GMA) 3600

9 minutes ago, Bleedingyamato said:

It hasn't been too bad for a while now but I think that's just because I happen to shut down my computer often enough that when there happen to be updates to install it just does it then.  But the main issue still remains that users no longer have full control over their PCs.  Updates can potentially cause problems and previously users could avoid updates that weren't safe to use but now if there's a buggy update many users may be forced to install it and suffer through it until MS releases an update to fix the problem causes by the previous update.  

There are actually ways you can take further control even in Windows 10.  It's just not as obvious or easy as before:

9 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

There are actually ways you can take further control even in Windows 10.  It's just not as obvious or easy as before:

Thank you for pointing that out but slight problem: my main desktop was originally a prebuilt before I upgraded it.  Which unfortunately means it has Windows 10 Home on it.  ?

Edit: My secondary desktop has Windows 10 Education on it.  I'll have to check if it has the ability to use that group policy editor thing.

8 hours ago, Bleedingyamato said:

If they're using Window 8 maybe.  But 7 was the best thing since XP as far as I'm concerned.

As far as I'm concerned, Windows X is the best windows version ever.

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

This is utter bullshit, I don't know how many of you deal with people who are easily scared by technology, but I know of several people who would be utterly terrified by this. Something big and scary takes over their entire screen, which they simply don't understand and it's basically yelling in their face to upgrade, it's going to scare the living daylights out of them.

To us who know what this means and how to deal with it, sure it's a minor annoyance, but to people who can just about turn on a computer without getting lost this will send them into a panic. This is simply not acceptable (at the risk of sounding like Lemongrab) and MS should be ashamed of these kinds of tactics, The more and more this shit goes on, the more I want to switch to Linux permanently.

And no, I strongly disagree that this makes disabling the notification easy, it's fucking purple text on a purple background, there are more than a handful of people who have poor eyesight that simply would not see that, or have dyslexia and need black text on pink to read a computer screen properly, or wouldn't be as attentive as we are and completely miss it, why should they suffer because Microshite are pulling the same tactics used by malware authors to get everyone on Windows 10?

Fuck Microshite. Bunch of twats

CPU: Core i5 2500K @ 4.5GHz | MB: Gigabyte Z68XP-UD3P | RAM: 16GB Kingston HyperX @ 1866MHz | GPU: XFX DD R9 390 | Case: Fractal Design Define S | Storage: 500GB Samsung 850 EVO + WD Caviar Blue 500GB | PSU: Corsair RM650x | Soundcard: Creative Soundblaster X-Fi Titanium
Click here to help feed our lasses Pokemon

Microsoft, what a bunch of idiots

It's pretty obvious that they're desperate to get as much as people on Windows 10 before July ends

If they wanted everyone to eventually run Windows 10 then they should've made it free for lifetime.

I do understand where the timed offer logic has come from, but it won't work with people who don't care about the new OS and features especially since Windows 10 still feels like alpha stage with incomplete and inconsistent UI and design

3 hours ago, AluminiumTech said:

Yes, finally. So many complaineres about win 10 and updates and such. Its a good OS, most of these people havent even used it. I love win 10, its clean, easy to use, and just great. 

n0ah1897, on 05 Mar 2014 - 2:08 PM, said:  "Computers are like girls. It's whats in the inside that matters.  I don't know about you, but I like my girls like I like my cases. Just as beautiful on the inside as the outside."

10 hours ago, Celmor said:

Reminds me of the twitch streamer that had his Windows machine deciding to upgrade mid-game.

As he used a capture PC you could see Windows just excusing itself for 'a moment' and then procedding to instal Windows 10.

Jy2u91f.gif

On 7/2/2016 at 0:21 AM, AresKrieger said:

8ac.jpg

They will never back off, just wait July 29th will come and go, windows 10 will still be watching.

10upgrade_by_dragon_tamer_10-da8q0f8.png

Intel Xeon 1650 V0 (4.4GHz @1.4V), ASRock X79 Extreme6, 32GB of HyperX 1866, Sapphire Nitro+ 5700XT, Silverstone Redline (black) RL05BB-W, Crucial MX500 500GB SSD, TeamGroup GX2 512GB SSD, WD AV-25 1TB 2.5" HDD with generic Chinese 120GB SSD as cache, x2 Seagate 2TB SSHD(RAID 0) with generic Chinese 240GB SSD as cache, SeaSonic Focus Plus Gold 850, x2 Acer H236HL, Acer V277U be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 4, Logitech K120, Tecknet "Gaming" mouse, Creative Inspire T2900, HyperX Cloud Flight Wireless headset, Windows 10 Pro 64 bit

On Saturday, July 02, 2016 at 6:16 AM, evilarceus said:

Well that woman who sued them is the one to blame. They saw that people weren't tech savy and that they needed to make it impossible for people not to know anything about windows 10 and everything. That way no one has any excuse for that. You can dismiss it so that's no bother. 

41 minutes ago, QueenDemetria said:

How did he manage to continue streaming?

3 minutes ago, laminutederire said:

How did he manage to continue streaming?

Some streamers use a separate PC to capture video and stream to Twitch.

Blue Jay

CPU: Intel Core i7 6700k (OC'd 4.4GHz) Cooler: CM Hyper 212 Evo Mobo: MSI Z170A Gaming Pro Carbon GPU: EVGA GTX 950 SSC RAM: Crucial Ballistix Sport 8GB (1x8GB) SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB HDD: Seagate Barracuda 1TB Case: NZXT S340 Black/Blue PSU: Corsair CX430M

Other Stuff

Monitor: Acer H236HL BID Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum Keyboard: I don't even know Mouse Pad: SteelSeries QcK Headset: Turtle Beach X12

GitHub

5 hours ago, AluminiumTech said:

It (XP I meant sorry.) certainly did seem to have less compatibility issues with games and other programs.  

Edited by Bleedingyamato
Clarified what OS I meant.

10 hours ago, Bleedingyamato said:

image.jpeg

There are other options such as buying a Mac and using that OR using Linux on your PC instead. Use another option or stop complaining!

1 hour ago, QueenDemetria said:

Jy2u91f.gif

That was his fault for being ignorant and not paying attention before.

11 minutes ago, Bleedingyamato said:

It certainly did seem to have less compatibility issues with games and other programs.  

Do you even know what I mean by Windows X?

3 hours ago, Robin88 said:

This is utter bullshit, I don't know how many of you deal with people who are easily scared by technology, but I know of several people who would be utterly terrified by this. Something big and scary takes over their entire screen, which they simply don't understand and it's basically yelling in their face to upgrade, it's going to scare the living daylights out of them.

To us who know what this means and how to deal with it, sure it's a minor annoyance, but to people who can just about turn on a computer without getting lost this will send them into a panic. This is simply not acceptable (at the risk of sounding like Lemongrab) and MS should be ashamed of these kinds of tactics, The more and more this shit goes on, the more I want to switch to Linux permanently.

And no, I strongly disagree that this makes disabling the notification easy, it's fucking purple text on a purple background, there are more than a handful of people who have poor eyesight that simply would not see that, or have dyslexia and need black text on pink to read a computer screen properly, or wouldn't be as attentive as we are and completely miss it, why should they suffer because Microshite are pulling the same tactics used by malware authors to get everyone on Windows 10?

Fuck Microshite. Bunch of twats

Again, use Linux or macOS and Stop complaining. Microsoft doesn't want to hear it, I don't want to hear it and neither does anybody who had a decent upgrade experience.

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

FFS just install it already. jesus move the f on

"if nothing is impossible, try slamming a revolving door....." - unknown

my new rig bob https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/b/sGRG3C#cx710255

Kumaresh - "Judging whether something is alive by it's capability to live is one of the most idiotic arguments I've ever seen." - jan 2017

1 hour ago, QueenDemetria said:

Jy2u91f.gif

If you used Windows 10, and read what it says, he is ALREADY on Windows 10.

In his case, the reason for this, is that he delayed a large Windows 10 Update for 3 month, in which Windows tells you that it will restart, and decided to ignore it (probably didn't read what is on the screen, and then he is shocked. Well yea. i mean how many warning one person needs? Update your software and you'll have a smooth experience. If you plan to do some bug thing, check everything is updated before, make sure everything works... when it is your JOB (as he gets paid for this), you either do a good one or don't.

When you go on a film set, as a technician (for example) in audio and video, even before you do anything, you test ALL your cables. Even if you tested them yesterday. You never know when a cable might stop working. Imagine you work in a big film production, and a team is filming a 1 million scene with explosion, and the camera HDMI cable is broken, or the battery was not charged in the middle of the film... you'll loose your job.  There is no "take 2" in such scene. So you prepare and you test.

In his case, it is his job, and he lacks of any professionalism or even care to make sure his system is updated, that there will no notification of any update from any software that appear, that everything works, and THEN you start.