Activision-Blizzard buys MLG (Major League Gaming)

Samfisher

Source : http://overflask.com/en/news/activision-blizzard-buys-mlg

Source : http://esportsobserver.com/mlg-sells-substantially-all-assets-to-activision-blizzard-for-46-million/

5ee2c71e53.jpg

MLG sold basically all their assets to Acti-Blizz for $46 million, and replaced the CEO with the current CFO (well, now CEO I guess).  After having set up an e-sports division a few weeks/months ago and now acquiring a major eSports company/event manager/etc they seem to be going all in on the eSports scene.  Here's an excerpt of the email shareholders got a day after the deal :

f30a2166e661d6b3536b468a3967045e.png

Who here pays attention to the eSports scene, specifically MLG?  I'm not too well versed in this personally, but this could be a huge thing for future products and tournaments.  With EA also starting their own eSports division, this could be the huge push eSports needs to really flourish more than it already has and become accepted into the mainstream.

QUOTE ME IN A REPLY SO I CAN SEE THE NOTIFICATION!

When there is no danger of failure there is no pleasure in success.

I don't care about eSports at all.

I guess this'll make Activision-Blizzard more MLG? :P (bad joke, sorry)

Project White Lightning (My ITX Gaming PC): Core i5-4690K | CRYORIG H5 Ultimate | ASUS Maximus VII Impact | HyperX Savage 2x8GB DDR3 | Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | WD Black 1TB | Sapphire RX 480 8GB NITRO+ OC | Phanteks Enthoo EVOLV ITX | Corsair AX760 | LG 29UM67 | CM Storm Quickfire Ultimate | Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum | HyperX Cloud II | Logitech Z333

Benchmark Results: 3DMark Firestrike: 10,528 | SteamVR VR Ready (avg. quality 7.1) | VRMark 7,004 (VR Ready)

Other systems I've built:

Core i3-6100 | CM Hyper 212 EVO | MSI H110M ECO | Corsair Vengeance LPX 1x8GB DDR4  | ADATA SP550 120GB | Seagate 500GB | EVGA ACX 2.0 GTX 1050 Ti | Fractal Design Core 1500 | Corsair CX450M

Core i5-4590 | Intel Stock Cooler | Gigabyte GA-H97N-WIFI | HyperX Savage 2x4GB DDR3 | Seagate 500GB | Intel Integrated HD Graphics | Fractal Design Arc Mini R2 | be quiet! Pure Power L8 350W

I am not a professional. I am not an expert. I am just a smartass. Don't try and blame me if you break something when acting upon my advice.

...why are you still reading this?

Hitmarker xddddd

Mlg montages might return!

I3-4150 | Be Quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3 | 8GB KINGSTON FURY RAM | MSI Z97-G43 | HYPERX FURY 120GB SSD SAPPHIRE HD7950 VAPOR-X | Phanteks Enthoo Pro M | EVGA 500W | Corsair SP120's w/ NZXT Fan Hub

Plans: I5-4690K || EVGA GS 650W | KINGSTON FURY 8GB RAM  PCPARTPICKER: https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/

We should wait for something more official. Like an announcement from Activision-Blizzard.

The ending is just the beginning repeating.

im all for this mostly cuz w/e blizzard touches seems to turn to gold

We should wait for something more official. Like an announcement from Activision-Blizzard.

Shouldn't be too long now, just gotta wait the holidays out :D

im all for this mostly cuz w/e blizzard touches seems to turn to gold

This is not the Blizzard you're looking for.

This is the trashy parent company Activision in disguise.

This is not the Blizzard you're looking for.

This is the trashy parent company Activision in disguise.

If anything, Blizzard has more "eSports" titles than Activision.

I guess my orcish druid is gonna be included in the montage.

- snip-

I don't care about eSports at all.

I guess this'll make Activision-Blizzard more MLG? :P (bad joke, sorry)

And less RNG. Ba dum tss.

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

If anything, Blizzard has more "eSports" titles than Activision.

That wasn't my point.

They deliberately added Blizzard to the name because of recognition and many people instantly purchase Blizzard games and they are well loved.

Activision is the company responsible for many atrocities in the industry. Maybe not ubisoft-level but pretty damn close.

Interesting, I wonder if they will hinder non-EA games with MLG tournaments (Like Super Smash Bros. Melee or Call of Duty)

Maybe they do want to get rid of the stigma around the term "MLG"

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

Interesting, I wonder if they will hinder non-EA games with MLG tournaments (Like Super Smash Bros. Melee or Call of Duty)

Maybe they do want to get rid of the stigma around the term "MLG"

CoD already jumped to ESL

Didn't this already happen ages ago?

CPU: i5-4690k GPU: 280x Toxic PSU: Coolermaster V750 Motherboard: Z97X-SOC RAM: Ripjaws 1x8 1600mhz Case: Corsair 750D HDD: WD Blue 1TB

How to Build A PC|Windows 10 Review Follow the CoC and don't be a scrub~soaringchicken

CoD already jumped to ESL

Really? Like.. Fully? Because Smash Bros. also has multiple leagues.

I remember last Advanced Warfare tournament was still MLG (On MLG.tv too), but not sure, could be wrong

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

As I see it Activision bought it, not Activision Blizzard, and those two are not the same thing. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

Activision bought Blizzards parent company and renamed the company Activision Blizzard. The key people in the Activision Blizzard are the leadership of the former Activision. So, as I previously mentioned, Activision Blizzard is basically Activision in disguise. Blizzard Entertainment is merely a subsidiary of Activision Blizzard despite the name. The Blizzard part is essentially just a way for Activision to use Blizzards reputation in the industry to boost their own credibility.

Didn't this already happen ages ago?

That's what I thought, this was already discussed about 1 or 2 months ago, right?

CPU: Intel i7 8700K | CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3 | RAM: Kingston HyperX 2x8GB | Motherboard: Asus ROG Z370-E | GPU: MSI GTX 970 | HDD: Seagate Barracuda 1TB & 2TB | SSD: Samsung 840 EVO 250GB & 970 EVO M.2 500GB | Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv X | PSU: Silverstone Platinum Strider 1100W | Monitor: AOC i2367Fh | Headphones: ATH-M40X | Mic: Antlion ModMic 4 | Keyboard: Corsair K70 RGB w/ MX Browns | Mouse: Logitech G502 HERO

Make sure you quote or mention the person you're replying to in your comment. Also remember to follow your thread when creating it to get a notification every time someone replies. 

Be nice and have fun. Cheers!

Activision bought Blizzards parent company and renamed the company Activision Blizzard. The key people in the Activision Blizzard are the leadership of the former Activision. So, as I previously mentioned, Activision Blizzard is basically Activision in disguise. Blizzard Entertainment is merely a subsidiary of Activision Blizzard despite the name. The Blizzard part is essentially just a way for Activision to use Blizzards reputation in the industry to boost their own credibility.

I didn't mean for that to correct me, but that Activision bought them, not Acti Blizz.  :lol:

The ability to google properly is a skill of its own. 

I didn't mean for that to correct me, but that Activision bought them, not Acti Blizz. :lol:

I'm not sure but I don't think subsidiary companies do acquisitions - at least not without clearing it with the management of the parent company. So I don't see why it would be the Activision company making the acquisition instead of Activision Blizzard.

Not quite:

Activision and Blizzard Entertainment used to both be owned by the massive media conglomerate Vivendi. Vivendi, as majority shareholder in both companies, created an umbrella company called "activision blizzard" which "owned" both Activision and Blizzard Entertainment, thus making both companies trade under the same share on the stock market. Both Activision and Blizzard Entertainment were and are de facto independent of each other with regard to company policy.

The board of directors of Activision-Blizzard then bought enough shares in the company to force Vivendi out, as Vivendi was basically using A-B's profits and assets to bankroll its failing branches (television companies, film studios etc) via money transfers and loans.

Enough history: Activision (i.e. the subsidiary of Activision-Blizzard and owner of CoD) bought MLG in this deal. Not Activision-Blizzard.

Intel i7 5820K (4.5 GHz) | MSI X99A MPower | 32 GB Kingston HyperX Fury 2666MHz | Asus RoG STRIX GTX 1080ti OC | Samsung 951 m.2 nVME 512GB | Crucial MX200 1000GB | Western Digital Caviar Black 2000GB | Noctua NH-D15 | Fractal Define R5 | Seasonic 860 Platinum | Logitech G910 | Sennheiser 599 | Blue Yeti | Logitech G502

Nikon D500 | Nikon 300mm f/4 PF  | Nikon 200-500 f/5.6 | Nikon 50mm f/1.8 | Tamron 70-210 f/4 VCII | Sigma 10-20 f/3.5 | Nikon 17-55 f/2.8 | Tamron 90mm F2.8 SP Di VC USD Macro | Neewer 750II

This will be gold hehe. I really want to see what will change as far as WoW tournaments cause it really can be executed better and more often specially.

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |