Amazon backtracks after covering NYC subway car in Nazi symbols

Samfisher

They aren't even Nazi symbols! Somebody probably blew the whistle and a whole bunch of people that weren't educated or didn't do research on the topic just jumped on the wagon. 

According to my research, in Nazi Germany, the Reichsadler (the eagle thing) had a Swastika in the middle and not a Iron Cross(which is in fact a German military decoration). The other flag I didn't even notice was linked to Imperial Japan....

even if they are different designs from the actual symbols

it kinda invokes ppl who have suffered during those bad time to remember again

because it look almost similar

Budget? Uses? Currency? Location? Operating System? Peripherals? Monitor? Use PCPartPicker wherever possible. 

Quote whom you're replying to, and set option to follow your topics. Or Else we can't see your reply.

I think the ad is fine. There is no intentional discrimination there and besides I have seen much worse than this being done by those even burning the flag and the media defending them for "voicing their personal beliefs" 

Umm yeah.  -_-

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

Yup. Hitler just reversed the symbol for his use.

The word swastika comes from the Sanskrit svastika, which means “good fortune” or “well-being." The motif (a hooked cross) appears to have first been used in Neolithic Eurasia, perhaps representing the movement of the sun through the sky. To this day it is a sacred symbol in Hinduism, Buddhism, Jainism, and Odinism.

I wouldn't really go that far. The Swastika rightfully has a very negative connotation. But the point is: there is no Swastika on the ad.

System: Thinkpad T460

I wouldn't really go that far. The Swastika rightfully has a very negative connotation. But the point is: there is no Swastika on the ad.

I didn't say it was there; I was providing historic background to what @MagnesiumPC said. That's all.

Link -  http://www.ushmm.org/wlc/en/article.php?ModuleId=10007453

*edit

Hitler purposely used the swastika as a symbol that was widely recononized to fool people into thinking that NAZI's were good.

In Mein Kampf, Adolf Hitler wrote: “I myself, meanwhile, after innumerable attempts, had laid down a final form; a flag with a red background, a white disk, and a black swastika in the middle. After long trials I also found a definite proportion between the size of the flag and the size of the white disk, as well as the shape and thickness of the swastika.”

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

People get offended too easily. They need to quit being little bitches.

Rich went ape ship on that particular subject today. Totally agree

Space Journal #1: So Apparently i  was dropped on the moon like i'm a mars rover, in a matter of hours i have found the transformers on the dark side of the moon. Turns out its not that dark since dem robots are filled with lights, i waved hi to the Russians on the space station, turns out all those stories about space finding humans instead of the other way around is true(soviet Russia joke). They threw me some Heineken beer and I've been sitting staring at the people of this forum and earth since. 

People get offended too easily. They need to quit being little bitches.

ones-right-not-to-be-offended.jpg

Or, to put it as Early Cuyler would put it, "Don't' be such a damned pussy, pussy. You a damned pussy."

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

Rich went ape ship on that particular subject today. Totally agree

<snippy>

Feminazis be Damn'd .. . . . . 

Spoiler

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

Feminazis be Damn'd .. . . . . 

the part where he went full howler monkey and called parents who buy their children M rated games are idiots. it was kinda funny :P

Space Journal #1: So Apparently i  was dropped on the moon like i'm a mars rover, in a matter of hours i have found the transformers on the dark side of the moon. Turns out its not that dark since dem robots are filled with lights, i waved hi to the Russians on the space station, turns out all those stories about space finding humans instead of the other way around is true(soviet Russia joke). They threw me some Heineken beer and I've been sitting staring at the people of this forum and earth since. 

the part where he went full howler monkey and called parents who buy their children M rated games are idiots. it was kinda funny :P

lol..

What game is he playing, do you know?

Spoiler

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

lol..

What game is he playing, do you know?

I think its a Final Fantasy MMO for PC. Im not sure though.

Speaking of alternate timelines, could you imagine the engineering marvels Germany would have created if they won WWII? My God.

Though I shouldn't have to say that I'm thankful the Nazis lost WWII. That's obvious.

Imagine a timeline where Hitler didn't let his corrupt views interfere with his outstanding leadership. If it wasn't for the holocaust, regardless of his success, he would have been regarded as the second Alexander the great.

Wishing leads to ambition and ambition leads to motivation and motivation leads to me building an illegal rocket ship in my backyard.

You can't say that a symbol that was associated with hate 70 years ago was actually peace, tolerance, and order for thousands of years.  That's just intolerant.  Shame on you.  

8TRbWHMb.jpg

In all seriousness - it is ridiculous that it has continued on as a symbol for hatred when it was used in many religions and philosophy for thousands of years as a symbol of good.  I believe the earliest record of it was like.. 10,000-ish B.C.?  Or something like that.

70 years ago, it was used to represent the Nazi Germans.

700 years ago, it was used to represent peace and tolerance.

It is the same way that (True) Muslims actually believe that killing solves nothing, anf goes against their religion. ISIS (As well as other terror groups) have twisted it to suite their own sick ways.

I'm sort of in the middle on this one.  Even though I don't think anything offensive was meant by the promotion, war symbolism (especially large flags of the axis powers) is just very touchy subject in general especially when used cover some area in NYC where it is very patriotic.  

I'm not offended but I can see how some might be.

Imagine a timeline where Hitler didn't let his corrupt views interfere with his outstanding leadership. If it wasn't for the holocaust, regardless of his success, he would have been regarded as the second Alexander the great.

Indeed. There are/were only a few extraordinary leaders in all of history that could do the things he did with Germany, and with such efficiency, in such a small amount of time (in the grand scheme of things).

Then again you could probably argue that given WWI didn't end how it did for Germany, and Hitler didn't live through the experiences he did growing up, he wouldn't have turned into the evil man/incredible leader that he became. Since a lot of his drive was revenge and hatred caused by past events.

PCPartPicker link: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/R6GTGX

Привет товарищ ))))

The start of the video (after the intro of course) said it plainly - Final Fantasy 14: A Realm Reborn for PC (the better version of the second FF MMO).

Thanks.

Spoiler

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

Indeed. There are/were only a few extraordinary leaders in all of history that could do the things he did with Germany, and with such efficiency, in such a small amount of time (in the grand scheme of things).

Then again you could probably argue that given WWI didn't end how it did for Germany, and Hitler didn't live through the experiences he did growing up, he wouldn't have turned into the evil man/incredible leader that he became. Since a lot of his drive was revenge and hatred caused by past events.

Agreed,

I would recommend that if anyone is really interested in knowing Hitler for who/what he was please read Mein Kamph it puts into perspective what he became; how he came to believe what he did and what he planned to do. It is a long read but very informative. The thing is no body took him seriously at first and if they had Hitler could have been stopped from doing what he did and maybe he could have done better. Who knows? Remember Hitler and the NAZI's conquered Germany first.

Spoiler

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

Agreed,

I would recommend that if anyone is really interested in knowing Hitler for who/what he was please read Mein Kamph it puts into perspective what he became; how he came to believe what he did and what he planned to do. It is a long read but very informative. The thing is no body took him seriously at first and if they had Hitler could have been stopped from doing what he did and maybe he could have done better. Who knows? Remember Hitler and the NAZI's conquered Germany first.

I'm glad I had the opportunity to take a Germany 1914-1945 class in high school. That was the most valuable knowledge I've been given imo and unfortunately not many kids (at least in the US, idk about other places in the world) are given the opportunity to learn about such a thing.

PCPartPicker link: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/R6GTGX

Привет товарищ ))))

I like this idea

When I make a post, unless I am the original poster or ask for a reply, don't bother replying or quoting me because I don't read them.

EVERYONE

CALM

THE FUCK

DOWN

OK?

thank you

Want a good game to play?  Check out Shadowrun: http://store.steampowered.com/app/300550/ (runs on literally any hardware)

another 12 core / 24 thread senpai...     (/. _ .)/     \(. _ .\)

The ads aren't just on the seats, actually the entire line of cars inside and out is covered with it.

2qbxixe.jpg

2cqlmr4.png

They've done a lot of other ones too.

Holy crap, if New York was a website. It would be the type of website I avoided like the plague.

I wonder if someday in the future you'll be able to wear Google Glass and pay a contribution per month, and you'll be able to see just trains, buses and chairs without adverts.

It is the same way that (True) Muslims actually believe that killing solves nothing, anf goes against their religion.

It doesn't go against Islam.

ﷲ   Muslim Member  ﷲ

KennyS and ScreaM are my role models in CSGO.

CPU: i3-4130 Motherboard: Gigabyte H81M-S2PH RAM: 8GB Kingston hyperx fury HDD: WD caviar black 1TB GPU: MSI 750TI twin frozr II Case: Aerocool Xpredator X3 PSU: Corsair RM650

it was relevant, attention drawing, and did what it was supposed to incredibly well! TV series is about a post WWII era where Germany won the war... It's bloody good too.