Desk PC Build Log

Yeah, saw Linus tweet about it and was confused since I saw no vid. What's the deal?

I just saw the tweet.

"Oh man. The people who think the error in the desk PC video was fake.. Yeah, it wasn't.. I was devastated.."

What happened??

From what I can tell reading the tweet replies, he installed everything backwards?

From what I can tell reading the tweet replies, he installed everything backwards?

Yeah, pretty much. I thought it was staged for comedic purposes (top gear style). But apparently not?

Also, the video has disappeared from vessel. What's up with that?

Well, that was a disappointing sight to come home to :/

Certainly hope to see it back up on vessel soon...

still wana know what monitors they used, may be time to upgrade the tri 1080 monitors. And the screw up seemed truthful to me, linus doesn't strike me as a good actor.

Specs: Amd 1700x | NH-u12s | Asus crosshair hero vi | 2x8g Gskill flare x | Zotac 1080 | Samsung 960 EVO | Seasonic ssr-750GD | Thermaltake core x5 |

I was 5 minutes in the video when it was pulled...

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

Yes and i wasn't sure until now if the error was scripted or not. Im surprised he actually made that mistake. 

the only difference I noticed on the "new" re-uploaded version is linus included monitor information.

Specs: Amd 1700x | NH-u12s | Asus crosshair hero vi | 2x8g Gskill flare x | Zotac 1080 | Samsung 960 EVO | Seasonic ssr-750GD | Thermaltake core x5 |

Does anyone know what those inserts are called that he drilled into the table?

I really would like to see a review of this with "daily use"-experience. I got some concerns that the open PC parts could easily get damages by your knees when using this. Maybe a simple plexiglass panel could help to avoid this?

I really would like to see a review of this with "daily use"-experience. I got some concerns that the open PC parts could easily get damages by your knees when using this. Maybe a simple plexiglass panel could help to avoid this?

I have a good 3-4 inches of clearance between my knees and the highest profile components. If you have longer legs you might need a taller desk, but that's pretty universal ergonomic stuff.

I have a good 3-4 inches of clearance between my knees and the highest profile components. If you have longer legs you might need a taller desk, but that's pretty universal ergonomic stuff.

Have you thought about some wired mesh or small diameter bars over the critical components? You have clearance but sometimes you could forget that there is a PC over your knees..

See my blog for amusing encounters from IT workplace: http://linustechtips.com/main/blog/585-life-of-a-techie/

So I hit dislike about as often as Kim Kardasian rediscovers her virginity. I'm a techy at heart despite my career, and I'm a perfectionist at heart because of my career.

It was nice and clean up till the table flip... nice solution, it works, and it's clean... then you flip a graphics card, suck air through a hard surface, and pretend that it's going to have no impact on performance (you can even see Linus cringing, and crossing his fingers) Yes you're presenting a video and a build log for a company, but when did linus not say do what I say, not what I do?

A PC built into a desk makes so much sense for space saving, why hasn't this idea gone more mainstream? 

A PC built into a desk makes so much sense for space saving, why hasn't this idea gone more mainstream? 

the height difference between where you want to type, and where you're going to put your knees through a component.

the height difference between where you want to type, and where you're going to put your knees through a component.

Sorry what? 

Why not use a drill to make some holes in the top of the desk and vent the radiator through the top (which would also be aided by convection) and have the side effect of not having the fans and rad sticking out of the bottom.

Also why no SFX power supply? This seems pretty obvious to me.

Dear LMG crew...

We really need you around doing that kind of stuff. You see ? It is systematically stupid, but ALWAYS unexpected. And that is very important for the well being of our minds.

♠ Lamine O. Mingwan  UEE Record #256532 

Anvil Aerospace F7C Hornet ♦ MISC Freelancer DUR ♥