Teen Sentenced to 11 years+lifetime internet monitoring for supporting ISIS via Social Media.

Centurius

11 years a bit low, should of gotten life.

CPU: i7 5820k @4.5Ghz | Mobo: MSI X99A SLI Plus | RAM: 16GB Crucial Ballistix DDR4 Quad Channel | GPU: GTX 970 @ 1579 Mhz | Case: Cooler Master HAF 922 | OS: Windows 10

Storage: Samsung 850 Evo 250GB | PSU: Corsair TX750 | Display: Samsung SyncMaster 2233 & SyncMaster SA350 | Cooling: Cooler Master Seidon 120M

Keyboard: Razer Lycosa | Mouse: Steelseries Kana | Sound: Steelseries Siberia V2

I don't care who he's talking to. The government shouldn't be incarcerating children for giving information that is highly publicly available just because the recipient is their Propaganda Monster of the Day.

ISIS is scum, sure. Is everyone we are told to hate by the Government the same level of mass murdering shithead?

A year ago ISIS supporters could come to this forum to learn whether a 780 or a 290X was better to mine bitcoin. Oh Noes Shut It Down Arrest Linus!!!

If I flew to Russia and showed Putin how to make the best pancakes in the world would that make me an enemy of the state? It's absurd.

You can hate ISIS as much as you like, but it doesn't seem to me as if this teen actually did anything illegal.

a terrorist coming to a publicly accessible forum isn't a crime for the forum owner. someone directly helping and knowingly helping a terrorist is. stop being obtuse.

The act is not culpable unless the mind is guilty.

Besides that he helped arrange travel to Syria and he isn't exactly "a child". A 17 year old has the ability to judge whether something is right or wrong.

Legally he is a child. Also legality =/= morality. Doesn't matter if I think he was right or wrong -- were his actions actually illegal? 

a terrorist coming to a publicly accessible forum isn't a crime for the forum owner. someone directly helping and knowingly helping a terrorist is. stop being obtuse.

I'm not being obtuse. I'm questioning the level of trust the people in this thread are putting in their government overlords. What the kid did was irresponsible and possibly immoral, but a kid he was and nothing in the OP actually highlights any crime occurring. It seems to me he got 11 years in prison for associating with Undesirables.

Directly from the OP

"teaching ISIS members how to use systems such as Bitcoin to hide their financial transactions and helped arrange travel to Syria for someone seeking to fight for ISIS"

The teaching on how to use bitcoin was to hide their financial transactions, it was not merely teaching them the concept... AND it not ends there, he was getting involve even more by helping arrange traveling. The kid was waaay too involve, your example of LTT doesn't even scratch the idea of what the kid was doing. Next time make sure to read very well the news before saying anything.

By the way this "kid" is 17 years old... he's not 8 years old nor 11 years old. 

Say that again, I'm not sure the "condescending prick" came across strong enough.

tfw you get arrested in the UK for tweeting a joke

Asus M5A99X Evo  - AMD FX-8350 - 16GB Corsair Vengeance 1866Mhz - Corsair 120mm Quiet Edition Fans BenQ XL2411Z- EVGA GTX 980 Superclocked Fractal Design Define R4 - Corsair H100i - 2 TB 7200rpm HDD - Samsung 840 Evo 120GB - Corsair RM750w PSU - Logitech G502 Proteus Core - Corsair K70 RGB MX Red - Audio Technica M50x + Modmic 4.0 - LG 23EA63V x2

Spinthat Spinthat Spinthat Spinthat

Legally he is a child. Also legality =/= morality. Doesn't matter if I think he was right or wrong -- were his actions actually illegal? 

I'm not being obtuse. I'm questioning the level of trust the people in this thread are putting in their government overlords. What the kid did was irresponsible and possibly immoral, but a kid he was and nothing in the OP actually highlights any crime occurring. It seems to me he got 11 years in prison for associating with Undesirables.

Say that again, I'm not sure the "condescending prick" came across strong enough.

you are being obtuse, he knowingly help a terrorist organization. that IS a crime.

helping terrorist organizations i think maybe just maybe illegal. and what he did is just slightly irresponsible? really? he was helping a terrorist organization that is killing millions of people and you just call that irresponsible.

You are purposefully ignoring the second part.  HELPED ARRANGE TRAVEL FOR PEOPLE SEEKING TO FIGHT FOR ISIS.

Sure, teaching bitcoin on its own wouldn't be enough to sentence this "kid".  But combined with the second offense, its not just a coincidence. 

tfw you get arrested in the UK for tweeting a joke

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Twitter_Joke_Trial

The joke you're referring to was a joke threat to blow up an airport in Yorkshire. Personally I think the context of his joke was clear, but you can kind of see how that got out of hand.

you are being obtuse, he knowingly help a terrorist organization. that IS a crime.

helping terrorist organizations i think maybe just maybe illegal. and what he did is just slightly irresponsible? really? he was helping a terrorist organization that is killing millions of people and you just call that irresponsible.

He told someone how to use crypto-currency and organised a plane flight. It's not obtuse to find that a bit worrying. Right now the bogeyman we're supposed to direct our 2 minutes hate at is ISIS, I wonder who it will be tomorrow.

You are purposefully ignoring the second part.  HELPED ARRANGE TRAVEL FOR PEOPLE SEEKING TO FIGHT FOR ISIS.

Sure, teaching bitcoin on its own wouldn't be enough to sentence this "kid".  But combined with the second offense, its not just a coincidence. 

I'm not ignoring anything, I'm just not as against air travel as Al Gore is.

what about  the parents. That child is 11 years old. How and why on earth are they not monitoring this kids web history? They are still responsible for that child. They should be charged also. Endagering the welfare of a child and child neglect for that matter.

The only thing I'm curious about is how they find out he did what he did. Is the because they monitor everything that happens and found him because of that or did he make some kind of mistake?

Regardless, ISIS is scum and helping those bastard willfully is not good. If it was just the bitcoin thing then maybe I'd be less harsh against the kid but if he helped them get people over there to fight then I'm for a good prison sentence for the kid. 

"Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people."

Main rig:

i7-4790 - 24GB RAM - GTX 970 - Samsung 840 240GB Evo - 2x 2TB Seagate. - 4 monitors - G710+ - G600 - Zalman Z9U3

Other devices

Oneplus One 64GB Sandstone

Surface Pro 3 - i7 - 256Gb

Surface RT

Server:

SuperMicro something - Xeon e3 1220 V2 - 12GB RAM - 16TB of Seagates 

what about  the parents. That child is 11 years old. How and why on earth are they not monitoring this kids web history? They are still responsible for that child. They should be charged also. Endagering the welfare of a child and child neglect for that matter.

He is 17 and got 11 years..... He isn't 11

"Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people."

Main rig:

i7-4790 - 24GB RAM - GTX 970 - Samsung 840 240GB Evo - 2x 2TB Seagate. - 4 monitors - G710+ - G600 - Zalman Z9U3

Other devices

Oneplus One 64GB Sandstone

Surface Pro 3 - i7 - 256Gb

Surface RT

Server:

SuperMicro something - Xeon e3 1220 V2 - 12GB RAM - 16TB of Seagates 

A year ago ISIS supporters could come to this forum to learn whether a 780 or a 290X was better to mine bitcoin. Oh Noes Shut It Down Arrest Linus!!!

If I flew to Russia and showed Putin how to make the best pancakes in the world would that make me an enemy of the state? It's absurd.

You can hate ISIS as much as you like, but it doesn't seem to me as if this teen actually did anything illegal.

mining coins isnt illegal supporters can mine all they want but funding a terrorist organization is illegal

he intentionally helped  terrorists to get funding from supporters 

teaching putin to make pancakes isnt illegal by any law i know of

u seem to have a hard time understanding things

If your grave doesn't say "rest in peace" on it You are automatically drafted into the skeleton war.

The only thing I'm curious about is how they find out he did what he did. Is the because they monitor everything that happens and found him because of that or did he make some kind of mistake?

Regardless, ISIS is scum and helping those bastard willfully is not good. If it was just the bitcoin thing then maybe I'd be less harsh against the kid but if he helped them get people over there to fight then I'm for a good prison sentence for the kid. 

He said it on Twitter, didn't he? That's about as public as it gets.

mining coins isnt illegal supports can mine all they want but funding a terrorist organization is illegal

he intentionally helped supporters of terrorists to get funding

teaching putin to make pancakes isnt illegal by any law i know of

u seem to have a hard time understanding things

He didn't fund terrorists though. He conveyed the concept of money to them. It would be like prosecuting a bank for advertising currency conversion -- not actually doing the conversion, just advertising.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Twitter_Joke_Trial

The joke you're referring to was a joke threat to blow up an airport in Yorkshire. Personally I think the context of his joke was clear, but you can kind of see how that got out of hand.

He told someone how to use crypto-currency and organised a plane flight. It's not obtuse to find that a bit worrying. Right now the bogeyman we're supposed to direct our 2 minutes hate at is ISIS, I wonder who it will be tomorrow.

a plane flight to join isis and murder people -_- you need to provide the full context and are you seriously defending ISIS? http://www.nbcnews.com/storyline/isis-terror/isis-kills-115-eid-one-iraqs-deadliest-attacks-decade-n394351 i think disliking isis is justified by what isis is doing

He didn't fund terrorists though. He conveyed the concept of money to them. It would be like prosecuting a bank for advertising currency conversion -- not actually doing the conversion, just advertising.

he fricken sent people to join isis and recruited for them. yep totally innocent 

a plane flight to join isis and murder people -_- you need to provide the full context and are you seriously defending ISIS? http://www.nbcnews.com/storyline/isis-terror/isis-kills-115-eid-one-iraqs-deadliest-attacks-decade-n394351 i think disliking isis is justified by what isis is doing

Well if that isn't the mother of all strawmans. lmfao

It's right up there with "if you don't want David Cameron to censor your internet it must mean you're a paedophile!"

"Murdering people" is a very emotive term as well. Syria is still in a state of civil war at the moment. To call them murderers is no different to calling US troops murderers when they go off to the Middle East to fight.

he fricken sent people to join isis and recruited for them. yep totally innocent 

So what you're saying is that the people he was talking to weren't in ISIS and so weren't actually terrorists, but people the state thinks might have become terrorists at some point? It just keeps getting better!

Judging by the Twitter username, he probably used his own name and his own ip.

My Build:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 4770k GPU: GTX 780 Direct CUII Motherboard: Asus Maximus VI Hero SSD: 840 EVO 250GB HDD: 2xSeagate 2 TB PSU: EVGA Supernova G2 650W

It's right up there with "if you don't want David Cameron to censor your internet it must mean you're a paedophile!"

no thats what he actually did. he sent people to join isis. and that is illegal 

by your logic a murderer can get away with murder by saying the judge is using a strawman argument that i murdered those people

Idiot.

Deserved it/10

Someone told Luke and Linus at CES 2017 to "Unban the legend known as Jerakl" and that's about all I've got going for me. (It didn't work)

no thats what he actually did. he sent people to join isis. and that is illegal 

by your logic a murderer can get away with murder by saying the judge is using a strawman argument that i murdered those people

No, the strawman I'm referring to is your assertion that saying that a child associating with the wrong people online shouldn't be treated as harshly as this amounts to defending ISIS. That's absurd.

Next time, either post a counter-argument to my post or don't insult when you have nothing to say.

●CPU: i7-4790K w/H100i ●Mobo: MSI Z97 MPower ●RAM: Corsair 16GB Dominator ●GPU: EVGA ACX SC 780 3GB(X2) ●SSD: 850 Pro 256GB ●Case: 450D ●PSU: AX 860i ●Monitor: Asus PB278Q 1440p

No, the strawman I'm referring to is your assertion that saying that a child associating with the wrong people online shouldn't be treated as harshly as this amounts to defending ISIS. That's absurd.

he didnt just say oh i agree with isis he sent people to join isis

So what you're saying is that the people he was talking to weren't in ISIS and so weren't actually terrorists, but people the state thinks might have become terrorists at some point? It just keeps getting better!

might become terrorists? so they kid says hey join isis ill arrange for your transportation and the other person says ok hmm i wonder where that person went. probably to hawaii for vacation 

"Murdering people" is a very emotive term as well. Syria is still in a state of civil war at the moment. To call them murderers is no different to calling US troops murderers when they go off to the Middle East to fight.

You're cherry-picking arguments. To quote the relevant part of the law.

(a) Offense.— Whoever provides material support or resources or conceals or disguises the nature, location, source, or ownership of material support or resources, knowing or intending that they are to be used in preparation for, or in carrying out, a violation of section 32, 37, 81, 175, 229, 351, 831, 842 (m) or (n), 844 (f) or (i), 930 ©, 956, 1091, 1114, 1116, 1203, 1361, 1362, 1363, 1366, 1751, 1992, 2155, 2156, 2280, 2281, 2332, 2332a, 2332b, 2332f, 2340A, or 2442 of this title, section 236 of the Atomic Energy Act of 1954 (42 U.S.C. 2284), section 46502 or 60123 (b) of title 49, or any offense listed in section 2332b (g)(5)(B) (except for sections 2339A and 2339B) or in preparation for, or in carrying out, the concealment of an escape from the commission of any such violation, or attempts or conspires to do such an act, shall be fined under this title, imprisoned not more than 15 years, or both, and, if the death of any person results, shall be imprisoned for any term of years or for life. A violation of this section may be prosecuted in any Federal judicial district in which the underlying offense was committed, or in any other Federal judicial district as provided by law.
(b) Definitions.— As used in this section—
(1) the term “material support or resources” means any property, tangible or intangible, or service, including currency or monetary instruments or financial securities, financial services, lodging, training, expert advice or assistance, safehouses, false documentation or identification, communications equipment, facilities, weapons, lethal substances, explosives, personnel (1 or more individuals who may be or include oneself), and transportation, except medicine or religious materials;
(2) the term “training” means instruction or teaching designed to impart a specific skill, as opposed to general knowledge; and
(3) the term “expert advice or assistance” means advice or assistance derived from scientific, technical or other specialized knowledge. 

He specifically provided information to members of ISIS fully aware that this information would be used to hide transactions from authorities which would then be used to finance acts of war against the United States and her allies but also more importantly, the people of Iraq, Syria and any other country ISIS is active in. If he were to in person tell a terrorist how to hide transactions by sending it through various countries for example he would also be liable for providing material support in the form of services.

Beyond this he specifically helped in arranging the travel of an enemy fighter to a war zone.

My Build:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 4770k GPU: GTX 780 Direct CUII Motherboard: Asus Maximus VI Hero SSD: 840 EVO 250GB HDD: 2xSeagate 2 TB PSU: EVGA Supernova G2 650W

Next time, either post a counter-argument to my post or don't insult when you have nothing to say.

You didn't make an argument. You repeated the OP and then patronisingly told me to read it. Plus points for amping up the condescension though. You must be a total buzz at parties. :)

You're cherry-picking arguments. To quote the relevant part of the law.

He specifically provided information to members of ISIS fully aware that this information would be used to hide transactions from authorities which would then be used to finance acts of war against the United States and her allies but also more importantly, the people of Iraq, Syria and any other country ISIS is active in. If he were to in person tell a terrorist how to hide transactions by sending it through various countries for example he would also be liable for providing material support in the form of services.

Beyond this he specifically helped in arranging the travel of an enemy fighter to a war zone.

I'm not cherry picking anything. I know what he did. Tek Syndicate try to give advice on how to use encryption and VPNs to avoid the NSA. This is specifically providing information to people to avoid the authorities. Do you not see how shaky a precedent this is for people who aren't supporting ISIS?

Even your last sentence. The US Government has the gall to look at a civil war happening thousands of miles away and dictate to people with ties to Syria who the "enemy" is. The west should have stayed out of that, yet another Middle Eastern conflict to go and fuck up further.