What unpopular tech opinions do you have?

Mao_Zedong

People hate my opinion on Mac OS X being superior than Windows on all fronts apart from Gaming.

I have used both Mac OS X and Windows together for years however for my Work, Lecturing or Web Development I find using a Mac is a lot better than Windows, just my personal opinion everyone is different, I can do things on OSX faster than I can on Windows.

Would I say that everyone needs to use Mac OS X? .. NO everyone is different, I find the Mac UI and Experience to be better than Windows however I bet there are people who would swear that it's the other way around.

Exactly what I have said before. You cant really ague which OS is better as its a preference thing. I like both but I use Windows by preference due to familiarity. Each OS has its perks and its lows but its on the user. Kinda like PCs vs Console its on the user to put value based on the experience created makes it one way or the other. (Linus mentions this in one of his videos by the way and I agree 100%)

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

Fucking this. I even ranted about it on that shitty website iVerge and managed to get widespread support but still... a lot of people are clinging in to this idea that working on a Mac is "somehow" more productive than on a PC.

I don't hate Macs. But Windows smokes every other desktop OS in terms of getting things done. No workarounds, stupid custom driver bullshit or anything, everything just works.

I like OS X but Windows 8.1 is nice. (I also really like Ubuntu, Elementary and Fedora)

a Moo Floof connoisseur and curator.

:x@handymanshandle x @pinksnowbirdie || Jake x Brendan :x
Youtube Audio Normalization

I LOVE OSX..... just wait.. hear me out.

For starters, I honestly don't see the point of OSX when its not on a mobile platform (so basically things that run OSX that aren't MacBooks). This is because the major reasons I prefer OSX, are a whole lot more relevant on a laptop. 

The two reasons why I use OSX (MacBooks in particular):

1) Multiple desktops. In a setting where you can't have a multi-monitor setup, multiple desktops are the next best thing. It makes a 15' laptop screen work almost as well as a triple monitor setup. HOWEVER, the reason why multiple desktops on windows 10 and the various linux distros, don't work nearly as well, is because of the way you transition between them. Which kind of leads me into point number 2. 

2) Trackpad. The trackpad on MacBooks just simply outclasses everything else. Nothing else compares, and not even a windows fanboy can argue that. While it is a nice feeling trackpad, most of it's superiority comes in the form of gestures in OSX. For the love of christ it drives me mad that nobody else besides apple can seem to figure out how to make gestures work properly. Just the fact that you can open the app tray with finger pinching and switch between desktops with 4 finger swipes increases productivity insanely. Going back to point 1, the trackpad gestures are the whole reason why multiple desktops works so much better on OSX, you don't have to move where your cursor is on the screen in order to switch desktops, or lift your hand from the trackpad. Which sounds extremely stupid and minuscule, but it makes the world of difference. 

The reason why these are only relevant on a laptop is because, if you're using a desktop, who cares about multiple desktops when you can just add more screen real-estate? No matter how fast and efficiently you can switch between multiple desktops, its not going to compare to another dedicated physical monitor. Then, even the trackpad on a macbook, with all its gesture gloriousness, still won't be as fast and efficient as using a proper mouse without acceleration and a low dpi. That is just because you can train your muscle memory to know where your mouse has to be on your trackpad for each part of the screen, and eventually be able to not even look at where the cursor is. That could never happen with a trackpad.

It also should go without saying that I think that the mac pro, the iMac as well as Hackintoshes are all kinda stupid. 

Also inb4 windows fanboys: I'm not an iSheep. shhhh. 

Okay so, this might be controversial and i might have a few people at my door with pitchforks but eh here goes.

I know SSD's are nice, but from a few comments i have seen, they seem to have become Mission critical to have on a PC (More important than having a Good power supply or good motherboard, even the graphics card) , a good PC doesn't HAVE to have an SSD to be pretty awesome, heck if i had 600-700$ to spend on a good PC i'd be happy to take a 970/390/290 over a 960/280/380 at the cost of not having an SSD.

Apart from that.

Minimalst cases are overdone/getting boring/becoming bread sandwiches.

again, im not against Minimalism, i think cases like the Silent Base 800 or maybe even the H440 gets it pretty right, it's just when you reduce the design down so much it just ends up becoming a plain old black box. again for me Minimalism is getting something that looks awesome, without needing so much, it's like spices in some foods, you dont need much to get the sensation.

however i feel sometimes that minimalism is now becoming a bit of a Bread sandwich, Sometimes less is still less.

People need to research what they put in machines instead of just falling for brand name, (EVGA And Corsair Preyed so hard on this

so now some people think that EVGA low end units have The Quality of an AX1500i/G2 Supernova to be More specific, but just lower efficency and wattage. it being priced so cheaply should be your big warning sign
)

DVD Drives are still kinda cool, i'd rather keep the one i have in my PC than have it out, but it's not something you really need nowadays.

And before those of you who will, I'd prefer if you jammed the knife into the left instead of the right

my humor is terrible :") dont take it seriously, and again i'm not perfect...so i apoligize if i come off as a bit aloof

Hey bro i like yo *vomits on you*

SpOOkY  - Intel Core i7 4820K - Sapphire Radeon HD 7970GHZ Toxic Edition 6GB - 16GB Corsair Vengeance 1600Mhz - Gigabyte X79-UD3 - EVGA Supernova G2 850W

My GrApHiCs DeSiGn TeAcHeR Is GoInG To bE sO MaD

I think that 900p and 1050p are totally fine for general use, and if I can have more of them then I am all the happier. I'm a resolution peasant, I know, but I'm working on it. I'm poor, remember.

I think that people who complain that console-killer PCs are too expensive even at the low end aren't scrounging enough.

And buying at full price is not popular with me. Ever.

Bring on a Rog Swift with  8K, with an OLED panel and 120 or 144hz refreshrate and G-SYNC. My body is ready!

Your body may be ready, but hardware is still catching up at this point. Soon, though... soon it will be ready.

lol this is for unpopular opinions

He was responding to someone else's unpopular opinion, that wasn't his unpopular opinion... Try thinking before posting. 

Anway, no idea if this is an unpopular opinion or not, but I like the aesthetics of the NZXT Noctis 450 more than the NZXT H440. 

Razer used to be good.

4690K // 212 EVO // Z97-PRO // Vengeance 16GB // GTX 770 GTX 970 // MX100 128GB // Toshiba 1TB // Air 540 // HX650

Logitech G502 RGB // Corsair K65 RGB (MX Red)

XL ATX cases or large sized atx cases are unnecessary for most consumers. You don't need a case that big, you can house a shedload of HDD's inside a midsized, there's no point having a cupboard under your desk...

The bitfenix prodigy (mITX) sucks, I had one and it was way bigger than i thought.

iPhones are a better everyday phone

iMacs are nice to use, and i would rather a macbook over a dell/lenovo laptop

Scrapyard Build Total Cost: $268AUD

C2Q E8200 | 4 x 1gb DDR2 | GA-EP45-DS3 r1 | Gammax 200 | 320gb 2.5" | 7870LE PCS | Litepower 500w | CISCO Aironet 350

Older, higher-end platforms are better to build on secondhand than lower-end, newer platforms. Seriously, I have a Core 2 Quad with a spinny hard drive I paid $90 and its 4 cores perform near the same as my Sandy Bridge Core i5's 2 cores... for a sixth of the price and a 95W TDP.

I also think Cherry MX is overpriced af, 4K is a waste of money, non-16:9 resolutions should die in a fire, VGA/D-Sub should freeze in hell, and the GTX 960 is better value than the 750 Ti.

My I5 760 overclocked to 4.0-4-2Ghz easily beats the popular i5 4460. A 2500k/2600K gets in the neighourhood of the stock 4690K.

So it's better to get a old cpu that can be overclocked then to get socket 1150 locked cpu's.

Open your eyes and break your chains. Console peasantry is just a state of mind.

MSI 980Ti + Acer XB270HU 

amd drivers are terrible, especially when using eyefinity and crossfire. if it works its decent but if it stops working you will never get it to work again... (yeah, with a reinstall of windows...)

#killedmywife #howtomakebombs #vgamasterrace

Um... consoles are great value. MacBook Airs are best in class. GTX 960 isn't a "total waste of money". Backwards compatibility is overrated. removable batteries are overrated. lightning cables are superior to micro USB. Trying to think of more... iPhones are more powerful than you think. The Mac Pro is an incredible engineering feat and the exposed internals are utterly beautiful.

So pretty much anything Apple related.  :P

Too many to list and I like to keep them secret :D

In my opinion, everybody holds their iPhones the wrong way, when in landscape mode. The home/Touch ID button should be on the left side, not the right! It's that way in apple's ads, commercials, and demonstrations. Yet basically everyone I know with an iPhone holds it with the button on the right. It's kind of a pet peeve I guess...

You cover up the camera doing if the home button is to the left since the camera ends up on the bottom, if you put the button to the right, the camera goes to the top edge - same with the speaker too, if yuo hold the phone at the bottom with the home button to right right  then your hand does not cover up the speaker

Also I am right handed so its easier to rotate the phone anti clockwise in one hand (just grip with 2 fingers and let it rotate to the left) and I prefer to use the home button with my right hand

Also i

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

A lot of people seem to think that AMD is shitty. (Those people don't know shit :P) They say they should just use intel and nvidia all the time because reasons.

It's funny I was an all in AMD guy since the Athlon Thunderbird (Before that I was Intel starting with a 386 (if I recall correctly) through my Pentium III 450 I won from Intel before it launched at retail when I worked for Gateway), then they just dropped the ball in my eyes. I was never an ATI fan though (all those years of shitty drivers burned me) so I would pair an AMD CPU with an Nvidia card. My last Build with this methodology was a Phenom II 1090T with a GTX 470. (This is in storage in Phoenix awaiting my return when it will be put back into service as a media center PC)  

See I'm a 21st century digital boy,
I don't know how to live but I've got a lot of toys. 

The best thing you can do on a Mac is install Linux

Well technically they already run linux, as OSX is based on it.

Mac OS X is based off of FreeBSD/BSD, so technically Linux and OS X are Cousins but not as closely related as you think. ;)

I've killed so many conversations by simply saying:

"As long as you enjoy what you're using, that's fine by me."

In my opinion, everybody holds their iPhones the wrong way, when in landscape mode. The home/Touch ID button should be on the left side, not the right! It's that way in apple's ads, commercials, and demonstrations. Yet basically everyone I know with an iPhone holds it with the button on the right. It's kind of a pet peeve I guess...

I do because it makes sense for right handed use. Just let it swivel down into your other hand! And I think it was the way apple did it in iOS 2 when I started using iOS.

G3258 @ 4.5 | 8GB Team Vulcan RAM | 128GB Kingston V300 SSD (I didn't know what I was doing when I bought it) | MSI H81I Motherboard | Corsair H55 with Noctua NF-P12 | EVGA SSC GTX 960 4GB | OCZ 550W Fully Modular PSU with Noctua NF-A14 | Cooler Master Elite 130 (Soon to be something cool)

Corsair is over rated pile of tosh. 

What do they know of England, who only England know?

"Well that's what I always said I wanted to be remembered for, for being honest. Nothing else is worth a damn"

Um... consoles are great value. MacBook Airs are best in class. GTX 960 isn't a "total waste of money". Backwards compatibility is overrated. removable batteries are overrated. lightning cables are superior to micro USB. Trying to think of more... iPhones are more powerful than you think. The Mac Pro is an incredible engineering feat and the exposed internals are utterly beautiful.

So pretty much anything Apple related.  :P

Pls stop you are hurting me  :(

Open your eyes and break your chains. Console peasantry is just a state of mind.

MSI 980Ti + Acer XB270HU 

Corsair is over rated pile of tosh. 

I'm kind of the opposite, I like Corsair everything just about (I have Dominator Platinum DDR4, H80i GT, older TX750 PSU, RGB K95, M95, and MM600).  I had to replace my K95 because of a liquid spill at a lan party and just for kicks I took it apart, I was impressed with the rigidness/stability of everything.  Other than that which was obviously not their fault, I've never had one issue with a Corsair product.

My unpopular opinion?  The M95 is the best gaming mouse due to the side button layout.  The grid layout seems so unintuitive and these buttons just make sense as far as placement goes.

AIO water coolers are a complete waste of money and you're universally better off with either a conventional air cooler or a custom loop.

CPU: Intel i7 4790k @4.7ghz - RAM: HyperX Savage 16GB DDR3 Memory @2400mhz - GPU: Nvidia GTX 970 3.5GB @1500mhz - Mobo: Gigabyte Gaming 7 Z97 - Storage: Win10 on 240GB HyperX Predator m.2 SSD, - Ubuntu w/ Gnome 3 on 80GB OCZ Vertex 3 - 500GB Samsung 850 Evo Game Installs - 5TB mass storage - Monitor: 21:9 3440x1440 LG 34UM95 - PSU: Corsair RM 750w - Case: Silverstone FT01 - Cooling: Custom Water Loop