AMD Blocks/Disables Overclocking the Memory for the Radeon R9 Fury X

BiG StroOnZ

This thread is quickly becoming hilarious, most people are agreeing that partly locking down overclocking on a watercooled flagship GPU which was presented to us and advertised as some overclockers dream is perfectly okay.

You people are such hypocrites.

Telling you, this place has very weird reactions when their loyalties are questioned. It's just a product! No need to take jabs personally.

All sides mess up. Be rational. Objective. No one is better than another when it comes to wanting your money.

I guess since we label Nvidias 970 as having 4GB* of GDDR5, can we label the Fury X as being a Overclockers* dream?

*some parts may be less functional than others, of course

What is hype may never die - Cleganebowl 2016

Read the thread, majority says this is okay, sounds quite hypocritical to me.

- So what? 

- What is your point? 

There is nothing being overlooked. Disabling a feature is disabling a feature.

Ehhhhhhhhhh.....

Never mind, not worth the effort to even try to explain it with that attitude.

What you are doing is not considering something from all angles, this means your mind was made up from the start already and further discussion is pointless.

If it was Nvidia that was first releasing HBM, and they blocked overclocking the memory nobody would be bashing Nvidia. Just shows the amount of ignorance in this forum. 

LTT forums has become a cesspool of fanboyism that have no limits. 

Test ideas by experiment and observation; build on those ideas that pass the test, reject the ones that fail; follow the evidence wherever it leads and question everything.

Read the thread, majority says this is okay, sounds quite hypocritical to me.

- So what? 

- What is your point? 

There is nothing being overlooked. Disabling a feature is disabling a feature.

I go and buy a new car.

I'm blocked from making it go faster or taking weight out to make my life better.

Nvidia is to Dr Dre Beets as AMD is to KFC.

One makes you broke, the other you can get more of and have a midnight snack from the fridge when hungry again. Once you go Nvidia, you go broked, turn into an Elitist, or get the incorrect amount of VRAM.

- WCCFTECH

I was only 9 years old. I loved Fifflaren so much, I had all the NiP merchandise and matches pirated. I prayed to Fifflaren every night before bed. Thanking him for the life I have been given. Fifflaren is love I say. Fifflaren is life. My dad hears and calls me a fuckhead. I knew he was just jelly of my passion for Fifflaren. I called him a Sw@yer. He hits me and sends me to go to sleep. I'm crying now, and my face hurts. I lay in bed and it's really cold. A warmth is moving towards me. I feel someone touching me. I feel someone touching me. It's Fifflaren. I am so happy. He whispers in my ear; "this is my pyjama". He grabs me with his powerful Swedish hands and puts me on my hands and knees. I'm ready. I spread my ass cheeks for Fifflaren. He penetrates my butt-hole. It hurts so much but I do it for Fifflaren. I can feel my butt tearing as my eyes start to water. I push against his force. I want to please Fifflaren. He roars a viking roar as he fills my butt with his love. My dad walks in. Fifflaren looks straight into his eyes and says; "He is a ninja now". Fifflaren is love, Fifflaren is life 

- New technology being implemented for the first time

Did you just call DRAM with a wider bus new technology?

This is a signature.

I go and buy a new car.

I'm blocked from making it go faster or taking weight out to make my life better.

You can, just not very easy.

http://www.overclockers.com/overclocking-your-car/

Just remember: Random people on the internet ALWAYS know more than professionals, when someone's lying, AND can predict the future.

i7 9700K (5.2Ghz @1.2V); MSI Z390 Gaming Edge AC; Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 16GB 3200 CAS 16; H100i RGB Platinum; Samsung 970 Evo 1TB; Samsung 850 Evo 500GB; WD Black 3 TB; Phanteks 350x; Corsair RM19750w.

Laptop: Dell XPS 15 4K 9750H GTX 1650 16GB Ram 256GB SSD

Spoiler

sex hahaha

Yeah... I'm not even gonna try mentioning it because I don't want my notifications spamming me as a "NVIDIA FANBOY"...  This forum's full of AMD fanboy's bitching about how everyone's an Nvidia fanboy. And that everything Nvidia does is evil, while AMD does something arguably worse (albeit they PROBABLY have a good reason for locking it).

And yes, they would be. The AMD Fandroids would. Do you see how much Nvidia get's bashed when anyone mentions anything about them doing anything remotely wrong? Like the 90m series being locked? Or anything involving Gameworks?

Saying 1 side has more fanboys than the other is just stupid.

Didn't you just literally say 'this forum is full of amd Fanboys'

And then you say 'saying one side has more Fanboys is just stupid'

I am very tired so maybe that was the joke?

i mean the gpu core can still be overclocked, maybe hbm memory doesnt overclock well 

It's 'new' yes. It clearly is unstable for OCing if they locked it.

WaitWait wait wait...

You are imagining that people will come up with excuses for amd? On this forum?

Have you been living under a rock?

3,5gb fiasco was legions of people defending Nvidia, but if amd so much as farts they get Shit for it.

Either you haven't been paying attention or you live in opposite world.

Also funny how you want make it more unbalanced by promoting amd bashing even more. Pathetic attempt.

Get off your soap box. Look at this thread. People either make excuses or don't care. And what about you? This is the same significance as Nvidia locking overclocking on laptops.

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

HMB is based off of Samsung's Wide I/O 2 architecture. Which is new tech.  

Test ideas by experiment and observation; build on those ideas that pass the test, reject the ones that fail; follow the evidence wherever it leads and question everything.

Didn't you just literally say 'this forum is full of amd Fanboys'

And then you say 'saying one side has more Fanboys is just stupid'

I am very tired so maybe that was the joke?

No, the fanboy's full of AMD forums, the same way it's full of Nvidia fandroids... I probably should have worded that differently, just tired :P

Just remember: Random people on the internet ALWAYS know more than professionals, when someone's lying, AND can predict the future.

i7 9700K (5.2Ghz @1.2V); MSI Z390 Gaming Edge AC; Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 16GB 3200 CAS 16; H100i RGB Platinum; Samsung 970 Evo 1TB; Samsung 850 Evo 500GB; WD Black 3 TB; Phanteks 350x; Corsair RM19750w.

Laptop: Dell XPS 15 4K 9750H GTX 1650 16GB Ram 256GB SSD

Spoiler

sex hahaha

Get off your soap box. Look at this thread. People either make excuses or don't care. And what about you? This is the same significance as Nvidia locking overclocking on laptops.

There are some differences, not the core clock being locked.

But you know what? You are right.

I will just leave this thread, not a good way to spend time and I should stop doing this too. And being 100% serious.

At least I can go to sleep now.

Also the OP is the one who started this on his soapbox anyway, just retaliating, don't burn only me you annoying shit... Good night

It probably messes up the HBM or something if you overclock the memory. This may be another limitation of HBM that we do not know about.

the ram is basicly there with the chip, so latency beh, and the controler is so wide you are not gonna see any bottleneck, how is overclocking HBM would increase performance ?

my guess of disabling overclocking, is that it wouldnt change much, other than increase wattage and thermals, and ppl will probably find a workaround it anyway, and my guess they will find it useless.

I'm just gonna guess that with time, these cards (or the next gen of cards) will get memory overclocking.

There is a reason its at "500Mhz", I imagine overclocking this new stacked memory on the hardware level is not quite the same as old memory types.
It could be that even AMD doesn't know how to properly overclock this thing and keep it stable at this time. There is more to overclocking then just keeping the thing cool.

I do have to wonder though, how much of a benefit overclocking it would give. We will just have to wait till these things are in the hands of experts and they write a custom bios and/or driver or something.

It's 'new' yes. It clearly is unstable for OCing if they looked it.

Everything is unstable for OCing.

OC requires common sense... clearly it isn't probable that you're going to add 100 MHz on Fury X's memory as you're not going to add 230 MHz on a R7 250's memory.

There isn't any reason to lock OC on this.

This is a signature.

Telling you, this place has very weird reactions when their loyalties are questioned. It's just a product! No need to take jabs personally.

All sides mess up. Be rational. Objective. No one is better than another when it comes to wanting your money.

I guess since we label Nvidias 970 as having 4GB* of GDDR5, can we label the Fury X as being a Overclockers* dream?

*some parts may be less functional than others, of course

Or maybe we've all OC'ed vram time and time again, get jack shit for performance improvement every time and don't care. Being able to OC the core is what's important.  If you want to compare this to Nvidia locking OC on laptops after people bought the devices via a driver update, then get AMD to lock the core as well.

Though I would have liked to see others have the ability to push the tech to find the breaking points too.

....it has far more bandwidth than anything else on the market (512 GB/sec)....only AMD knows why they locked it.

Maybe its locked at that frequency because its unstable to go higher, or the delicate circuits can't handle that speed, it is a new way of doing memory after all

Blood-Box (Current) - 4790K @ 4.4GHz 1.175v | MSI Z97M GamingMSI R9 290 TF | 16GB ADATA XPG v1.0 CL9 | patiently waiting on the CoolerMaster MasterCase Pro 3 | Corsair RM650 | Noctua NH-U12S | OCZ Vertex 460 240GB SSD | Seagate 2TB HDD

Feishi (Gift to my bro) - 4770K @ 4.2GHz | Gigabyte Z87 UD5H | Gigabyte GTX 760 WFx3 2.0 | 16GB Patriot Viper 3 CL9 | Fractal Design Arc Midi R2 | Corsair AX750 | Noctua NH-C14 | Seagate 2TB HDD

There wouldn't be any benefit to overclocking the memory anyway.  The bandwidth is massive.

My guess is they also want to do more internal testing before they let consumers fry their cards.

4K // R5 3600 // RTX2080Ti

HMB is based off of Samsung's Wide I/O 2 architecture. Which is new tech.  

Which the main change is widening the bus of the memory chip... nothing mind blowing

This is a signature.

If it was Nvidia that was first releasing HBM, and they blocked overclocking the memory nobody would be bashing Nvidia. Just shows the amount of ignorance in this forum.

Speak for yourself. I'd have the pitchfork, the torch, and the whiskey all lined up.

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

Which the main change is widening the bus of the memory chip... nothing mind blowing

Eh there's a lot more there. The power delivery system and the fact it sits on a whole interposed may be the issue. HBM was built to be low power, and I believe it's made on 20nm LPE, a process definitely not suited to overclocking but rather maximum density.

Eh there's a lot more there. The power delivery system and the fact it sits on a whole interposed may be the issue. HBM was built to be low power, and I believe it's made on 20nm LPE, a process definitely not suited to overclocking but rather maximum density.

I'm aware of that, but I'm talking about low overclocks, like what if I want to OC 2 or 3 MHz?

This is a signature.