Experiences with non-techies

36 minutes ago, BingoFishy said:

That's not true. When I attempted to get my mackintosh to work (I don't use it because I couldn't get sound to work) I just downloaded el Capitan and did all the fancy stuff through a VM.

Its against Apples terms of service to install Mac OS on anything other than Apple hardware.  Apple has the legal right to pursue legal action in these cases. They dont do this, maybe because they want to be the bigger person. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

27 minutes ago, BingoFishy said:

That's not true. When I attempted to get my mackintosh to work (I don't use it because I couldn't get sound to work) I just downloaded el Capitan and did all the fancy stuff through a VM.

Actually, it is. What @Donut417 meant is that the only way to obtain a disk image of MacOS (still getting used to the new name) is through the Mac App Store. You have to accept a EULA upon both downloading it and installing it that states something along the lines of "I am installing this on Apple-approved hardware (AKA only Macs sold by Apple) because installing it elsewhere is a breach of copyright"

QUOTE ME IF YOU WANT ME TO REPLY

Le USD $300 Second Hand Potato

CPU: Intel i5-750 @ 3.8GHz Motherboard: Intel DP55WG RAM: 12GB Corsair Budget 1333MHz (2x2GB+2x4GB) GPU: Sapphire Radeon HD 5750 512MB Case: Cooler Master Elite Storage: Seagate Barracuda 500GB PSU: Cooler Master Generic 500W (came with case) Displays: 21.5" 1080p Acer G226HQL Cooling: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo Keyboard: Corsair K70 RGB (Mx Reds) Mouse: Logitech G502 Sound: Turtle Beach X12's Operating System: Windows 10

Yep... My peripherals cost me more than the rig itself. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

26 minutes ago, Dargenfire said:

Actually, it is. What @Donut417 meant is that the only way to obtain a disk image of MacOS (still getting used to the new name) is through the Mac App Store. You have to accept a EULA upon both downloading it and installing it that states something along the lines of "I am installing this on Apple-approved hardware (AKA only Macs sold by Apple) because installing it elsewhere is a breach of copyright"

I was referring to the fact that you said you can only download macOS through an actual Mac.

Edit: nvm you meant legally.

Edit 2: change "you" to @Donut417

"You don't need headphones, all you need is willpower!" ~MicroCenter employee

How to use a WiiMote and Nunchuck as your mouse!

Specs:
Graphics Card: EVGA 750 Ti SC
PSU: Corsair CS450M
RAM: A-Data XPG V1.0 (1x8GB) (Red)
Procrastinator: Intel i5 4690k @ 4.4GHz 1.3V
Case: NZXT Source 210 Elite (Black)
Speakers and Headphones: Monitor Speakers and Phlips SHP9500s
MoBo: MSI Z97 PC MATE
SSD: SanDisk Ultra II (240GB)
Monitor: LG 29UM68-P
Mouse: Mionix Naos 7000
Keyboard: Corsair K70 RGB (2016) (Browns)

Webcam/mic: Logitech C270

5 minutes ago, BingoFishy said:

nvm you meant legally.

Yes I did *looks over shoulder* :ph34r:

QUOTE ME IF YOU WANT ME TO REPLY

Le USD $300 Second Hand Potato

CPU: Intel i5-750 @ 3.8GHz Motherboard: Intel DP55WG RAM: 12GB Corsair Budget 1333MHz (2x2GB+2x4GB) GPU: Sapphire Radeon HD 5750 512MB Case: Cooler Master Elite Storage: Seagate Barracuda 500GB PSU: Cooler Master Generic 500W (came with case) Displays: 21.5" 1080p Acer G226HQL Cooling: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo Keyboard: Corsair K70 RGB (Mx Reds) Mouse: Logitech G502 Sound: Turtle Beach X12's Operating System: Windows 10

Yep... My peripherals cost me more than the rig itself. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

1 minute ago, Dargenfire said:

Yes I did *looks over shoulder* :ph34r:

Quick pull out a DVORAK keyboard

Specs:

I got an answer on google forums why chrome keeps installing itself:

The problem lies with "Local Storage". Google makes money from ads. Ads use extensions which are hosted in Local Storage. Google allows ads to "infect" your computer as this is how it makes money. Google knows that you are being "hacked" daily but the money is so good that it allows it - "Breaking Bad Syndrome".  The answer is to use an alternative browser if you can find one.

Sp

Linus is my fetish.

4 hours ago, Donut417 said:

They dont do this, maybe because they cant make a profit on the cases because of lawyer expenses.

Ftfy.

- snip-

1 hour ago, Bhav said:

I got an answer on google forums why chrome keeps installing itself:

The problem lies with "Local Storage". Google makes money from ads. Ads use extensions which are hosted in Local Storage. Google allows ads to "infect" your computer as this is how it makes money. Google knows that you are being "hacked" daily but the money is so good that it allows it - "Breaking Bad Syndrome".  The answer is to use an alternative browser if you can find one.

Sp

Does torch count as an "alternative browser?" I know its effectively chrome but does it still come with that?

- snip-

18 hours ago, DeezNoNos said:

Thanks for that, I didn't read the Vice article though I knew about it.

One thing I wasn't aware was the fact that, in the end, the author recommends Apple ... for a gaming PC ...

46719249.jpg

If you need help with your forum account, please use the Forum Support form !

I work as the IT guy for the company I'm at, one help desk ticket claimed that the user could not access 2 printers but could on someone else's profile on the same machine. I drive over there and find out the default printer was set to some random one throughout the building instead of the one 5 steps away. Fixed. The 2nd printer (a label printer) I didn't even do anything, I asked if the user could open up the program and show me what they have been doing to print. Works just fine. Derp.

Funniest part is I built this machine about a month ago and set it up for the users. This particular user claimed the issue has been happening for about 3 months... I love my job. xD

12 hours ago, Dargenfire said:

My first completely from scratch build was a AUD $3000 Hackintosh workstation for a friend (the scariest moments of my life). The physical build took 4 hours (mainly because the IO shield wasn't playing nice with the motherboard and case), and the software side took about 6-7 hours (but that's a Hackintosh for you).

Also. This may have been asked before, but why is the LinusTechTips forum so against the mere mention of Hackintoshes when a Hackintosh build log has been done by LMG? (FYI I know it's technically illegal, I just don't get the inconsistent attitude towards it)

Took a week. Had to install without GPU, using a DVI to VGA thing, use a different network thing and fucking use a different sata port. For Yosemite... I had to use a different fucking gpu, mouse, keyboard and 16gb of ram to get El Capitan at 24 fps. 

Took a week .

12 hours ago, DocSwag said:

No idea why... I never knew it was even something that was against the community standards until I checked right now lol

Against apples TOS

10 hours ago, BingoFishy said:

How your supposed to get it to LEGALLY:

1. Get on a real mac 

2. Download the DMG from appstore 

3. Do the fancy stuff with writing it to the USB

4. Boot from usb and install on PC

5. You're done. **

Ryzen 5 3600 stock | 2x16GB C13 3200MHz (AFR) | GTX 760 (Sold the VII)| ASUS Prime X570-P | 6TB WD Gold (128MB Cache, 2017)

Samsung 850 EVO 240 GB 

138 is a good number.

32 minutes ago, themctipers said:

Took a week. Had to install without GPU, using a DVI to VGA thing, use a different network thing and fucking use a different sata port. For Yosemite... I had to use a different fucking gpu, mouse, keyboard and 16gb of ram to get El Capitan at 24 fps. 

Took a week .

Against apples TOS

How your supposed to get it to LEGALLY:

1. Get on a real mac 

2. Download the DMG from appstore 

3. Do the fancy stuff with writing it to the USB

4. Boot from usb and install on PC

5. You're done. **

Mac's are too expensive.

Specs:

10 minutes ago, BingoFishy said:

Mac's are too expensive.

That's the legal way

:P 

Ryzen 5 3600 stock | 2x16GB C13 3200MHz (AFR) | GTX 760 (Sold the VII)| ASUS Prime X570-P | 6TB WD Gold (128MB Cache, 2017)

Samsung 850 EVO 240 GB 

138 is a good number.

9 minutes ago, themctipers said:

That's the legal way

:P 

plus some used Macs aren't that expensive ... but then, most people looking into hackintosh aren't gonna bother buying a Mac only to later build a PC that can run MacOS! lol

17 hours ago, BingoFishy said:

Well mine has more bits than I know what to do with. I've never used, let alone seen a tri-wing screw (and the bits look just like a Philips until you look at the top!) And there's a whole row of stuff I don't know how to use.

Tri-wing screws can be found on some extension cords, but i have opened them with a flat-head screwdriver when i didn't have one.

On a note of screws, old nokia "brick" style phones use small torx, where as modern phones use crappy and tiny philips-head screws (or glue). WUT?

"Security" torx screws are also easy to modify, just poke the middle stud off with a flat-head screwdriver :ph34r:

I can never find a fitting screwdriver for small philips-head screws, they are always a different depth than the bits i have.

19 hours ago, 4kliksphilip said:

Could this run Crysis 3 at 60fps stable?

no it can't even run bad rats

Mouse: Logitech g402 <3

Keyboard: Some Tenkeyless with blue kalih switches

Headphones: Logitech g430

Monitor: HP w2207h (1680 x 1050 @ 60hz)

PC Specs:CPU(AMD A8 6500 @3.5ghz), Mobo ( ASUS A68HM-E  FM2+), 1x1600mhz 4gb stick of ram, Random grey PSU, 920gb ssd

PhoneIphone 5 32gb

Tablet: Ipad 2 16gb

Laptop:Toshiba satelite with 8gb of ram a 480gb ssd and a mobile 2nd gen I3

Can I put in another non tech experience with idiots?

This is literally my ENTIRE family, relatives included (like 150 aunties and uncles etc).

'OMG WOW, you're soooo tall! How did you get that tall?'

*Le high up window needs opening .... SEND FOR BHAV, HE IS TALL, OMG HE IS SOOOOO TALL

*Le 14 year old cousins .... OMG why arent we growing, why are we short, why cant we be as tall as Bhav????

I'm only 5'8", 173cm

I have as such already denounced everyone that refers to me as tall (literally ONLY my family members) as fucking dumbass grade A morons who needed removing from my life

Linus is my fetish.

2 hours ago, Bhav said:
Spoiler

I'm only 5'8", 183cm

I have as such already denounced everyone that refers to me as tall (literally ONLY my family members) as fucking dumbass grade A morons who needed removing from my life

*snip*

Reminds me what my mom told me one day;

"Most people don't change. Young idiots end up making old idiots!"

BTW, since they're your family, those are "your" idiots! xD

Edited by wkdpaul
I can't type damn it!

omg nearly at page 1000 again :D  Just a few more posts...

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

14 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

omg nearly at page 1000 again :D  Just a few more posts...

The second coming of 1000 pages is almost here!

Make sure to quote me or tag me when responding to me, or I might not know you replied! Examples:

Do this:

And make sure you do it by hitting the quote button at the bottom left of my post, and not the one inside the editor!

Or this:

@DocSwag

Buy whatever product is best for you, not what product is "best" for the market.

Interested in computer architecture? Still in middle or high school? P.M. me!

I love computer hardware and feel free to ask me anything about that (or phones). I especially like SSDs. But please do not ask me anything about Networking, programming, command line stuff, or any relatively hard software stuff. I know next to nothing about that.

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 6700k, CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3, Motherboard: MSI Z170a KRAIT GAMING, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 4x4gb DDR4-2666 MHz, Storage: SanDisk SSD Plus 240gb + OCZ Vertex 180 480 GB + Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 7200 RPM, Video Card: EVGA GTX 970 SSC, Case: Fractal Design Define S, Power Supply: Seasonic Focus+ Gold 650w Yay, Keyboard: Logitech G710+, Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum, Headphones: B&O H9i, Monitor: LG 29um67 (2560x1080 75hz freesync)

Home Server:

Spoiler

CPU: Pentium G4400, CPU Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: MSI h110l Pro Mini AC, RAM: Hyper X Fury DDR4 1x8gb 2133 MHz, Storage: PNY CS1311 120gb SSD + two Segate 4tb HDDs in RAID 1, Video Card: Does Intel Integrated Graphics count?, Case: Fractal Design Node 304, Power Supply: Seasonic 360w 80+ Gold, Keyboard+Mouse+Monitor: Does it matter?

Laptop (I use it for school):

Spoiler

Surface book 2 13" with an i7 8650u, 8gb RAM, 256 GB storage, and a GTX 1050

And if you're curious (or a stalker) I have a Just Black Pixel 2 XL 64gb

non-techies story;

I had a user that needed a new set of keyboard and mouse, did that yesterday, shipped it out ("my" users are sales reps all around the QC province) and then I updated the ticket with the tracking information.

Somehow, through the ticket system, she sent an email to "inside support" (kinda customer service, but they help out sales reps since they are scattered all around) and she was asking about the peripherals.

... inside support responded with the tracking number, saying it shipped Fedex but that it doesn't seem to work on the website ...

... all the information is IN the ticket already ...

... and that information states it was shipped Purolator (we have to take the cheapest, which was Puro in that case) ...

... I replied with a screenshot of the ticket, with the information highlighted ...

... nobody responded after that ...

*sigh*

not related to tech story;

I was talking with my "special" friend (I mentioned him a few times, thinks VRAM is all there is to GPU performance). We were talking about the olympics and fell on the subject of Caster Semenya, talking about her gold medal and the controversy with some 2009 gender test ... anyway, long story short, maybe he wanted to say that she was a transgender, he ended up using the word "shemale", but it took me a few seconds to realize what he had said, because he had pronounced it; "she-Mali" (Mali like the country).

... I didn't try to correct him because there's no point, but I was internally laughing my ass off!!! xD

I got one for you guys. My sister cause electronics to fail. I shit you not. You give her a phone, Tablet, or computer and its going to fail in some way. Every smart phone she has had, had issues. She gone through 2 Dell laptops in 5 years. Her current laptop she complains it runs slow. With the Samsung Moment she had GPS and connection issues. Then her Galaxy 5 she had issues connecting to internet via cellular data and WiFi. The two Dell's had motherboard failures. Hell I remember when I loaned her my first laptop, I got it back and the hard disk failed. She had it for weeks like that and didnt tell me. Lets just say I dont let her touch any of my machines. LOL. 

Im not sure if she radiates some type of radiation that kills electronics, but she had bad luck with them. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

9 minutes ago, Donut417 said:

I got one for you guys. My sister cause electronics to fail. I shit you not. You give her a phone, Tablet, or computer and its going to fail in some way. Every smart phone she has had, had issues. She gone through 2 Dell laptops in 5 years. Her current laptop she complains it runs slow. With the Samsung Moment she had GPS and connection issues. Then her Galaxy 5 she had issues connecting to internet via cellular data and WiFi. The two Dell's had motherboard failures. Hell I remember when I loaned her my first laptop, I got it back and the hard disk failed. She had it for weeks like that and didnt tell me. Lets just say I dont let her touch any of my machines. LOL. 

Im not sure if she radiates some type of radiation that kills electronics, but she had bad luck with them. 

In high school I would often stand near people's broken PCs to make problems go away.  That field theory might have something to it xD 

Also woot page 1000! :D

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

On 8/18/2016 at 10:37 PM, BingoFishy said:

Snip

I've found that a lot of the negative reviews on Newegg are from people who don't know what the hell they're doing haha.