Experiences with non-techies

Having a large amount of data on the desktop (so actual files not just links) will slow down boot times because it loads the contents of %userpath%\desktop when you log in.

Like, it loads all that data into RAM or something?  What do you mean by "it loads the contents"?

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

Like, it loads all that data into RAM or something?  What do you mean by "it loads the contents"?

Dunno about newer Windows releases, but clearing everything out of my desktop on my old E8400 rig running Windows XP decreased the time it took to get to the desktop. I would assume it went into RAM, because where else would it go?

Intel i7 5820K (4.5 GHz) | MSI X99A MPower | 32 GB Kingston HyperX Fury 2666MHz | Asus RoG STRIX GTX 1080ti OC | Samsung 951 m.2 nVME 512GB | Crucial MX200 1000GB | Western Digital Caviar Black 2000GB | Noctua NH-D15 | Fractal Define R5 | Seasonic 860 Platinum | Logitech G910 | Sennheiser 599 | Blue Yeti | Logitech G502

Nikon D500 | Nikon 300mm f/4 PF  | Nikon 200-500 f/5.6 | Nikon 50mm f/1.8 | Tamron 70-210 f/4 VCII | Sigma 10-20 f/3.5 | Nikon 17-55 f/2.8 | Tamron 90mm F2.8 SP Di VC USD Macro | Neewer 750II

Dunno about newer Windows releases, but clearing everything out of my desktop on my old E8400 rig running Windows XP decreased the time it took to get to the desktop. I would assume it went into RAM, because where else would it go?

Well, nowhere?  :rolleyes:

honestly without proof I'm not going to believe any of that, not because I don't trust you, but just because A. I've never heard that before, B. I've never seen evidence to support the claim that it happens (but I will test it when I get home, don't you worry;)) and C. it doesn't make any sense that it would do that.

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

Why would it load the contents into RAM?

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

Well, nowhere?  :rolleyes:

honestly without proof I'm not going to believe any of that, not because I don't trust you, but just because A. I've never heard that before, B. I've never seen evidence to support the claim that it happens (but I will test it when I get home, don't you worry;)) and C. it doesn't make any sense that it would do that.

I literally just did it. Copied a 8.4GB folder to my Desktop, checked RAM usage, and then deleted the folder. RAM usage did not change.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

Meh, maybe I'm wrong (I probably am, it's been well over half a decade since I gave a shite about loading times thanks to SSDs).

Intel i7 5820K (4.5 GHz) | MSI X99A MPower | 32 GB Kingston HyperX Fury 2666MHz | Asus RoG STRIX GTX 1080ti OC | Samsung 951 m.2 nVME 512GB | Crucial MX200 1000GB | Western Digital Caviar Black 2000GB | Noctua NH-D15 | Fractal Define R5 | Seasonic 860 Platinum | Logitech G910 | Sennheiser 599 | Blue Yeti | Logitech G502

Nikon D500 | Nikon 300mm f/4 PF  | Nikon 200-500 f/5.6 | Nikon 50mm f/1.8 | Tamron 70-210 f/4 VCII | Sigma 10-20 f/3.5 | Nikon 17-55 f/2.8 | Tamron 90mm F2.8 SP Di VC USD Macro | Neewer 750II

I literally just did it. Copied a 8.4GB folder to my Desktop, checked RAM usage, and then deleted the folder. RAM usage did not change.

If there's any chance of it working there's a chance it will only do it with files.  I'm going to logon normally, check usage, then copy a 20-something GB file to the desktop, log off and back on, check usage again, then delete it and log off and back on and check usage a third time just to there's no doubt.

If there's any chance of it working there's a chance it will only do it with files.  I'm going to logon normally, check usage, then copy a 20-something GB file to the desktop, log off and back on, check usage again, then delete it and log off and back on and check usage a third time just to there's no doubt.

Well, there's files in the folder.

I rebooted. RAM usage went down to 2.9GB from 3.8.

Firefox crashed when I originally tried to post this.

Well, there's files in the folder.

I rebooted. RAM usage went down to 2.9GB from 3.8.

Firefox crashed when I originally tried to post this.

yeah I forgot to mention I would reboot before the test I described.  I think my uptime is getting up to the 2-3 week range again...

My tech illiterate brother had recently bought a Toshiba 2 in 1 laptop with the power button on the side (like a tablet). After two days of trying to "fix" it, because it would not turn on, he took it too a computer store to see if it could be fixed. He then found out that it would cost $40.00 just to have it looked at. He then brought it back and proceeded to try and fix it for 3 hours. I walk by and see that he is having trouble, i ask him "Can I take a look?" he says "Yes." I pick up the device and press the aforementioned power button, and... SURPRISE SURPRISE, it turned on. I later found out that he had been repeatedly pressing a windows button that had also been placed on the side of the device. I asked him "Why didn't you just press the power button, i mean it has the universal symbol for power right on it." he said "How was i supposed to know i'm not a tech genius like you." I then proceeded to facepalm.

from previous experience it has more to do with the amount of files on the desktop, not the size of one file or folder (80 small files is gonna affect it more than 1 10GB file!)

If you need help with your forum account, please use the Forum Support form !

from previous experience it has more to do with the amount of files on the desktop, not the size of one file or folder (80 small files is gonna affect it more than 1 10GB file!)

well if we have another source maybe I won't bother testing then.  I mean, I have had several GB images on my desktop before and never noticed any RAM usage abnormalities, but then, maybe I wasn't watching it that closely (you tend to not care how much is being used when you have 32 GB ;))

Who's your internet provider?
"I use Yahoo."

Gaming PCs:
Intel i7 4790k, EVGA GTX 980ti, NZXT H440
Intel i5 7600k, Asus GTX 970 DC Mini, Silverstone SG13B
HTPC: AMD Phenom II X6 1045t, EVGA GTX 770 FTW, Fractal Node 604

My tech illiterate brother had recently bought a Toshiba 2 in 1 laptop with the power button on the side (like a tablet). After two days of trying to "fix" it, because it would not turn on, he took it too a computer store to see if it could be fixed. He then found out that it would cost $40.00 just to have it looked at. He then brought it back and proceeded to try and fix it for 3 hours. I walk by and see that he is having trouble, i ask him "Can I take a look?" he says "Yes." I pick up the device and press the aforementioned power button, and... SURPRISE SURPRISE, it turned on. I later found out that he had been repeatedly pressing a windows button that had also been placed on the side of the device. I asked him "Why didn't you just press the power button, i mean it has the universal symbol for power right on it." he said "How was i supposed to know i'm not a tech genius like you." I then proceeded to facepalm.

It's like my Mom when she had her Surface Tablet. 

She couldn't turn it on, I showed her.   She ended up chucking it onto the floor and accidentally stepping on it anyways.  It can survive a skateboard but not her foot, it was completely crushed.

Who's your internet provider?

"I use Yahoo."

They probably meant their home page. 

Yahoo is like Cancer, it just infects everything, it honestly does.  They have even been victim to advertising.  Making everyone who visits their site completely open to malware, as long as they had a vulnerability on their system or browser.

Oh how about an experience with tech savvy people, back when I upgraded my CPU:

- My I7 920 is crap and needs 1.4v for just 4 GHz, upgrade to I7 980 or I5 2500k?....

Get the I5. Upgrade to I5. I5 is cheaper. 980 is waste of money.

- But I5 & Mobo = £400 and my Rampage III Extreme is worth nothing now to resell, I7 980 is £300....

Buy the I5. Get the I5. I5 is cheaper. I7 980 waste of money.

- Well I decided I also wanted to keep my mobo, so I got the I7 980 and didn't need to spend money on or bother changing my mobo .....

OMG R U DUMB? DO U HAVE WAY MORE MONEY THAN SENSE? I7 980 IS WASTE OF MONEY! I5 IS CHEAPER ...

STFU U NOOBASAURUS REXES!

Linus is my fetish.

... yeah, pretty sure it's not a G3!!! (had a G3 & G4 decades ago! lol)

I've had a G5, but it broke a couple of weeks ago and I sold it.

I actually want a new PowerPC machine, kinda miss my G5

I've had a G5, but it broke a couple of weeks ago and I sold it.

I actually want a new PowerPC machine, kinda miss my G5

I like how they look. Beautiful machines.

I like how they look. Beautiful machines.

I like how the iMac G3, Powermac G3, iBook G3 Clamshell, iMac G4, Powermac G4, Powermac G4 Cube & eMac looked.

Now macs don't look like fish tanks, they look like Cheese Graters and Rubbish bins, I don't like that.

The TAM also looks nice.

well if we have another source maybe I won't bother testing then.  I mean, I have had several GB images on my desktop before and never noticed any RAM usage abnormalities, but then, maybe I wasn't watching it that closely (you tend to not care how much is being used when you have 32 GB ;))

To be honest I never encountered that problem on a "home" computer, my experience with this weird behavior is confined to IT work where you have lots of servers, thousands of desktops and remote sessions. My best guess would be that it might be related to distributed link tracking. Either way I've seen desktop where there was hundreds of files and shortcuts (how do they even keep track???).

And you would be surprise to see how many people that work with computers every day don't know the difference between an actual file and a shortcut!!!

Someone I know wanted to pay 40 euros for a guy to install windows 7 on an athlon xp. I hope I have changed their mind.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

Someone I know wanted to pay 40 euros for a guy to install windows 7 on an athlon xp. I hope I have changed their mind.

prob not

Specs: CPU: I5 6600K (4.5 GHZ), GPU: RX 480 (stock), Mobo: MSI Z170A tomahawk AC, RAM: Corsair 16GB drr4 2600, CASE: NZXT S340, storage 240GB crusial SSD and a 1TB WD HHD

They are nice machines, the only downside is no x86

True.

They are still quite capable tho, should not be underestimated.

True.

They are still quite capable tho, should not be underestimated.

yup, my PPC G4 with dual CPU was VERY impressive in terms of performance back then!

Something happened that was with techies, but it was such an humiliation we probably felt all like non-techies.

So, i was at school doing a network project with a group, in total 5 people.

One of the tasks was to connect our little network (router + switch) to another group with also a router and a switch, and get it working.

Other group were also 5 people btw.

So, we make connections, configure it, and try to test it. And for some reason with the other group it all worked for 1 system, another one had issues and in my group it didn't work at all.

None of our systems could get to the other router.

From the router worked everything fine, config looked good, pings were successful. Everything looked good, but we couldn't get to the other network.

45 minutes tweaking stuff with 10 people, we gave up and called it a defeat, calling in a teacher to sort it out.

Another 5 minutes with the teacher, still the same, other network could get to our computers, but our computers couldn't get to any computer on the other network.

Teacher decided to call another teacher, the one that i would call the best one of them all. And she probably thought the same.

Another 5 minutes with 2 teachers this time diagnosing and tweaking, we finally figured it out.

Thanks to a student from the other group... Turned out we had to turn off wifi.

so TL:DR

1 hour, 10 students, 2 teachers needed to figure out we had to turn off wifi.

And in the end a student figured it out, not a teacher.

Oh well, we had fun gaming after it all worked, started a minecraft server and trolled for 3 hours.

It was a nice day today.

If you want my attention, quote meh! D: or just stick an @samcool55 in your post :3

Spying on everyone to fight against terrorism is like shooting a mosquito with a cannon

To be honest I never encountered that problem on a "home" computer, my experience with this weird behavior is confined to IT work where you have lots of servers, thousands of desktops and remote sessions. My best guess would be that it might be related to distributed link tracking. Either way I've seen desktop where there was hundreds of files and shortcuts (how do they even keep track???).

And you would be surprise to see how many people that work with computers every day don't know the difference between an actual file and a shortcut!!!

That could be it.  I just always disabled the service because I've never once seen it actually work/do anything, but now I have another reason to keep doing that! :D
Well, technically a shortcut on windows is just a file, but I know what you mean ;)

so TL:DR

1 hour, 10 students, 2 teachers needed to figure out we had to turn off wifi.

I could have told you that ;)  I don't know why but windows seems to get very confused when it has the option of wired and wireless at the same time