Experiences with non-techies

my sister used to turn off her netbook by longpressing th e powerbuttom

Did you finally tell her how she should turn it off?

Also I like your profile picture. Gorillaz Souldchild Remix isn't bad, and Clint Eastwood is a nice song by them too.

Spoiler

Senor Shiny: Main- CPU Intel i7 6700k 4.7GHz @1.42v | RAM G.Skill TridentZ CL16 3200 | GPU Asus Strix GTX 1070 (2100/2152) | Motherboard ASRock Z170 OC Formula | HDD Seagate 1TB x2 | SSD 850 EVO 120GB | CASE NZXT S340 (Black) | PSU Supernova G2 750W  | Cooling NZXT Kraken X62 w/Vardars
Secondary (Plex): CPU Intel Xeon E3-1230 v3 @1.099v | RAM Samsun Wonder 16GB CL9 1600 (sadly no oc) | GPU Asus GTX 680 4GB DCII | Motherboard ASRock H97M-Pro4 | HDDs Seagate 1TB, WD Blue 1TB, WD Blue 3TB | Case Corsair Air 240 (Black) | PSU EVGA 600B | Cooling GeminII S524

Spoiler

(Deceased) DangerousNotDell- CPU AMD AMD FX 8120 @4.8GHz 1.42v | GPU Asus GTX 680 4GB DCII | RAM Samsung Wonder 8GB (CL9 2133MHz 1.6v) | Motherboard Asus Crosshair V Formula-Z | Cooling EVO 212 | Case Rosewill Redbone | PSU EVGA 600B | HDD Seagate 1TB

DangerousNotDell New Parts For Main Rig Build Log, Señor Shiny  I am a beautiful person. The comments for your help. I have to be a good book. I have to be a good book. I have to be a good book.

This guy who's practicing fencing with me keeps on trying to convince me that Ailenware is SOOO AMAZING and that you cNt build anything like their computers. He says that the strongest Alienware PC is the best computer in world. Period. Oh my god...

Is it a monkey? Is it an ape? I don't care, I LOVE'EM!

This guy who's practicing fencing with me keeps on trying to convince me that Ailenware is SOOO AMAZING and that you cNt build anything like their computers. He says that the strongest Alienware PC is the best computer in world. Period. Oh my god...

The last time I thought Alienware was the best PC in existence, I was probably 13 or 14. Please tell me this isn't someone over the age of 18.

My wife and her sister were watching pewdiepie on her sister's laptop on our bed the other night. I suggested they put a book or something solid under the laptop so it can breathe and doesn't overheat - which they did. The next day, she's typing on her laptop, which was now sitting in a pillow on her lap... I give up. lol 

My Systems:

Main - Work + Gaming:

Spoiler

Woodland Raven: Ryzen 2700X // AMD Wraith RGB // Asus Prime X570-P // G.Skill 2x 8GB 3600MHz DDR4 // Radeon RX Vega 56 // Crucial P1 NVMe 1TB M.2 SSD // Deepcool DQ650-M // chassis build in progress // Windows 10 // Thrustmaster TMX + G27 pedals & shifter

F@H Rig:

Spoiler

FX-8350 // Deepcool Neptwin // MSI 970 Gaming // AData 2x 4GB 1600 DDR3 // 2x Gigabyte RX-570 4G's // Samsung 840 120GB SSD // Cooler Master V650 // Windows 10

HTPC:

Spoiler

SNES PC (HTPC): i3-4150 @3.5 // Gigabyte GA-H87N-Wifi // G.Skill 2x 4GB DDR3 1600 // Asus Dual GTX 1050Ti 4GB OC // AData SP600 128GB SSD // Pico 160XT PSU // Custom SNES Enclosure // 55" LG LED 1080p TV  // Logitech wireless touchpad-keyboard // Windows 10 // Build Log

Laptops:

Spoiler

MY DAILY: Lenovo ThinkPad T410 // 14" 1440x900 // i5-540M 2.5GHz Dual-Core HT // Intel HD iGPU + Quadro NVS 3100M 512MB dGPU // 2x4GB DDR3L 1066 // Mushkin Triactor 480GB SSD // Windows 10

WIFE'S: Dell Latitude E5450 // 14" 1366x768 // i5-5300U 2.3GHz Dual-Core HT // Intel HD5500 // 2x4GB RAM DDR3L 1600 // 500GB 7200 HDD // Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon

EXPERIMENTAL: Pinebook // 11.6" 1080p // Manjaro KDE (ARM)

NAS:

Spoiler

Home NAS: Pentium G4400 @3.3 // Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3 // 2x 4GB DDR4 2400 // Intel HD Graphics // Kingston A400 120GB SSD // 3x Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200 HDDs in RAID-Z // Cooler Master Silent Pro M 1000w PSU // Antec Performance Plus 1080AMG // FreeNAS OS

my grandpa got rid of his internet and computer and told me to clean up the wires but he would not absolutely not let me unplug the adsl splitter he thought it would stop his phone from working

Thats that. If you need to get in touch chances are you can find someone that knows me that can get in touch.

I've got a friend who blames viruses for every single fault on his laptop. He also games on his 400€ laptop and thinks it's a great machine or something.

Also, a guy at a local PC store will format everything he's given, for no reason at all, and will charge 20€ for that. So glad I know computers now...

"Nope, said the engineer"

-One week after I had built my new gaming PC my cousin's came over to my house and they own a mac and one of them thinks that he knows every thing about pc's so he asks me how much $$$ I payed for it and so I tell him and then he goes to YouTube (after asking were my browser is) and looks up how to build a GAMING PC FOR $200 and he clicks on a video and after the video he says ''This will be like super powerful I will run all games on MAX'' [Roughly translated]  And I tried not to laugh and the PC was realy only good for minecraft at low settings.

- Later that day My other cousin decided to download Minecraft on my pc because she thought it would be cool to play with mod's. So she goes to this website to download the mod and

the site is just spammed with download button ad's and I guess she like downloaded the one with the ''biggest button'' and after that she downloaded them all so later that night I go to my desktop and I open chrome and it has tons of plugins and toolbars so I open AVG and it finds like over 2000 issues. #not leaving my cousin alone EVER! 

My school uses old dell latitude netbooks with retardedly slow atoms on them (from 2007) and is slowly switching to HP Chromebooks. For desktops, there is a mixture of old Dell Optiplex 790s (i think) with core 2 duos and 40 gb hard drives and newer Dell Optiplex 390s with sandy bridge i3s. Both are used with integrated graphics. The newer ones are used for CAD works and are really damn slow.

My school is too. I'm buying a G550Jk instead of using Chromebooks *shudder*.

FOOLS!

Someone told Luke and Linus at CES 2017 to "Unban the legend known as Jerakl" and that's about all I've got going for me. (It didn't work)

I get about 2 MBs downloading games if my bro is not using the internet. 2MBs is 16Mbs. I forgot to mention that my uncle lives in a city so his internet is naturally slower.

wouldnt living in a city make it faster?

Thats that. If you need to get in touch chances are you can find someone that knows me that can get in touch.

My school is too. I'm buying a G550Jk instead of using Chromebooks *shudder*.

FOOLS!

I plan to get a MacBook Air for high school. Shocking, ain't it? But it's super thin, so I can stuff it in my locker.

"If it has tits or tires, at some point you will have problems with it." -@vinyldash303

this is probably the only place i'll hang out anymore: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/

Current Rig: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, Abit IN9-32MAX nForce 680i board, Galaxy GT610 1GB DDR3 gpu, Cooler Master Mystique 632S Full ATX case, 1 2TB Seagate Barracuda SATA and 1x200gb Maxtor SATA drives, 1 LG SATA DVD drive, Windows 10. All currently runs like shit :D 

I have a rich, and I mean super rich, uncle who gives me a stipend of 20 grand a month.

I hope you are investing the money, because if you do it carefully. You might never have to work a day in your life.

Muh rig: i7 4770k, Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo, MSI Z87 G45, Kingston Hyper X Blu 8GB, Samsung 840 EVO 120 + WD Blue 1 TB, Asus GTX 770 2GB, Corsair 200r + 2x Corsair AF 120 Blue + 1x Stock corsair fan, Corsair TX650, LG 27EA33V IPS, Steelseries Sensei Raw + QCK mini, CM Quickfire Ultimate Blue.

wouldnt living in a city make it faster?

Not necessarily. Most houses in cities have at least a 50:1 contention. I haven't heard of more before, but I'm almost certain it happens. This situation on a copper co-ax cable could mean speeds of lower than 20Mb/s (for all connections at once at 50:1).

I'm glad to have decent internet, but I live in a well placed town in England (so I don't have to pay 4 billion dollars...)

"PSU brands are meaningless, look up the OEM."

Not necessarily. Most houses in cities have at least a 50:1 contention. I haven't heard of more before, but I'm almost certain it happens. This situation on a copper co-ax cable could mean speeds of lower than 20Mb/s (for all connections at once at 50:1).

I'm glad to have decent internet, but I live in a well placed town in England (so I don't have to pay 4 billion dollars...)

I actually get better speeds than I pay for and customer service is great (shaw calgary) they reset the connection to the area to fix a problem

3668644013.png

I pay for 25 down and 2.5 up also they have the best prices in the area

I remember a couple years back when my mother said liking Facebook pages could slow down your computer. And this year, in the year 2014, my mother bought a laptop worth "$1000" for "$100" and it had a Pentium 4 in it. Enough said.

My cousin thinks he knows everything about computers because he plays minecraft... then when he somehow managed to delete his wifi drivers and sound drivers he was amazed and thought I was a complete genious when all I did was download the drivers from my phone then moved them onto his laptop to install them...

Popcorn time is a streaming service that is torrent based. When using it, you aren't downloading anything.

With popcorn time it saves the movie as a local file, if you go into settings you can see it has a cache folder set up

CPU: i7 4770k@4.3Ghz GPU: GTX 780ti Motherboard: ROG maximus vi formula PSU: Evga supernova 1000w Platinum

Case: NZXT Switch 810 Memory: g.skill ripjaws X Cooler: Corsair h100i(getting custom loop when i get money next) Storage: Samsung 840 evo 250gb Keyboard: Corsair K95 Mouse: SteelSeries Rival

My friend is a techie, he knows quite a lot, but he was unaware that AMD has been rebranding their GPU's from last generation.

Before he had 2x 7850's in Crossfire. He wanted to upgrade since it wasn't keeping up, so he ended up getting 2x R9 280's unaware that they are actually 7950's. A few days after he Skyped me and told me that his new GPU's had barely given him a better frame rate than what he had before. I facepalmed and told him about how AMD rebrands their graphics cards, etc.

CPU: i7 2600 @ 4.2GHz  COOLING: NZXT Kraken X31 RAM: 4x2GB Corsair XMS3 @ 1600MHz MOBO: Gigabyte Z68-UD3-XP GPU: XFX R9 280X Double Dissipation SSD #1: 120GB OCZ Vertex 2  SSD #2: 240GB Corsair Force 3 HDD #1: 1TB Seagate Barracuda 7200RPM PSU: Silverstone Strider Plus 600W CASE: NZXT H230
CPU: Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550 @ 2.83GHz COOLING: Cooler Master Eclipse RAM: 4x1GB Corsair XMS2 @ 800MHz MOBO: XFX nForce 780i 3-Way SLi GPU: 2x ASUS GTX 560 DirectCU in SLi HDD #1: 1TB Seagate Barracuda 7200RPM PSU: TBA CASE: Antec 300

A few years ago I brought my pc to my grandmas house and wanted to get on the wifi but she didnt know the code so I went in and pressed the WPS button to let me in. A few days later I get a call from her saying I wrecked her wifi so I go over there and look for 2hrs for a problem because her connection was limited and finally i go to her cable box and... it wasnt powered on!

Whats crazy though is you wouldnt think she'd be non-tech because shes had an expensive mac ever since the 80's and she uses it all the time as shes a teacher so idk the world is weird sometimes

I pay 50 bucks a month[for atleast 15mbps/1mbps] and i get 100kbps from centurlink goddamn those bastards to hell

i call centurylink   

Them:hi sir to potentially fix your problem we will have to charge you a $80 standard fee plus $100 is the problem is your wiring

Me: You wired it inside my house infact u wired it less than a foot from my wall

Them Im sorry but that does not matter 

Them If the wiring in your area is bad we cannot fix it because we do not have enough customers to justify resources.[they actually sais this]

So I said go to hell after an hour of this shit and hang up

My brother and my grandma both once clicked an ad that claied their drivers were out of date. Tried to remove as much as I can with different software then when I tried to update Java I found out it had embedded itself in the Java files so I had to remove those and clear a whole bunch of things.

"Of course, its trash," Luke, 2014

I pay 50 bucks a month[for atleast 15mbps/1mbps] and i get 100kbps from centurlink goddamn those bastards to hell

i call centurylink   

Them:hi sir to potentially fix your problem we will have to charge you a $80 standard fee plus $100 is the problem is your wiring

Me: You wired it inside my house infact u wired it less than a foot from my wall

Them Im sorry but that does not matter 

Them If the wiring in your area is bad we cannot fix it because we do not have enough customers to justify resources.[they actually sais this]

So I said go to hell after an hour of this shit and hang up

We had huge problems with Century Link. The day out contract was up we went straight back to Comcast. It's worth the extra. 

"Of course, its trash," Luke, 2014

My friend is a techie, he knows quite a lot, but he was unaware that AMD has been rebranding their GPU's from last generation.

Before he had 2x 7850's in Crossfire. He wanted to upgrade since it wasn't keeping up, so he ended up getting 2x R9 280's unaware that they are actually 7950's. A few days after he Skyped me and told me that his new GPU's had barely given him a better frame rate than what he had before. I facepalmed and told him about how AMD rebrands their graphics cards, etc.

I had the pleasure of trying to tell people about AMD's rebranding in the past as well. It's not a fun experience :( So much ignorance and worst of all they don't always want to believe you.