Experiences with non-techies

I was talking to my fam about various tech stuff. Then out of nowhere i get asked what a vpn is. before i have a chance to explain mum asks me if she can have a blue coloured VPN, dad asked for a red one and my little bro wants a green one... at which point i just left the room cause how am i supposed to explain what a VPN is when thats the question i get :D

CPU: i7 4790K-----GPU: Gigabyte GTX 980 G1 Gaming + MSI GTX 980 TWINFROZR ------MOBO: MSI Z97 Gaming 7-------RAM: Klevv Genuine 2400MHz-------PSU: EVGA 850W SuperNOVA G2-------CASE: Phanteks Enhtoo Luxe

I got fibre, the company advertises 100 Mb/s but by running speedtest.net with a server in the same city, I only got 13 Mb/s down and 17Mb/s up.

Complain to your isp, you should get the speed you paid for (some % percent of the day, at least it is in Britain).

I was talking to my fam about various tech stuff. Then out of nowhere i get asked what a vpn is. before i have a chance to explain mum asks me if she can have a blue coloured VPN, dad asked for a red one and my little bro wants a green one... at which point i just left the room cause how am i supposed to explain what a VPN is when thats the question i get :D

Tell them it's a Very Pretty Networkcable and then just show them where to buy coloured Ethernet cables :P

Or is that just gonna make stuff worse?

More powerful? Most of the time, yes.

Higher quality? Not necessarily. Lenovo is a reputable brand when it comes to laptops.

I'd agree with you there, if my lenovo can survive my missus putting it in the bag we've got while it's still on and left on till I came back from work it gets my seal of approval

Tell them it's a Very Pretty Networkcable and then just show them where to buy coloured Ethernet cables :P

Or is that just gonna make stuff worse?

Lol thats actually a great idea 

CPU: i7 4790K-----GPU: Gigabyte GTX 980 G1 Gaming + MSI GTX 980 TWINFROZR ------MOBO: MSI Z97 Gaming 7-------RAM: Klevv Genuine 2400MHz-------PSU: EVGA 850W SuperNOVA G2-------CASE: Phanteks Enhtoo Luxe

Nope. Suckish internet.

3662838656.png

My ping is 3 times higher.

Don't complain D:

3547210176.png

Well... Umm.

3655593891.png3655591807.png

This happens two to three times a month, to everyone using the service... GJ for trying to make the service work..

Spoiler

Senor Shiny: Main- CPU Intel i7 6700k 4.7GHz @1.42v | RAM G.Skill TridentZ CL16 3200 | GPU Asus Strix GTX 1070 (2100/2152) | Motherboard ASRock Z170 OC Formula | HDD Seagate 1TB x2 | SSD 850 EVO 120GB | CASE NZXT S340 (Black) | PSU Supernova G2 750W  | Cooling NZXT Kraken X62 w/Vardars
Secondary (Plex): CPU Intel Xeon E3-1230 v3 @1.099v | RAM Samsun Wonder 16GB CL9 1600 (sadly no oc) | GPU Asus GTX 680 4GB DCII | Motherboard ASRock H97M-Pro4 | HDDs Seagate 1TB, WD Blue 1TB, WD Blue 3TB | Case Corsair Air 240 (Black) | PSU EVGA 600B | Cooling GeminII S524

Spoiler

(Deceased) DangerousNotDell- CPU AMD AMD FX 8120 @4.8GHz 1.42v | GPU Asus GTX 680 4GB DCII | RAM Samsung Wonder 8GB (CL9 2133MHz 1.6v) | Motherboard Asus Crosshair V Formula-Z | Cooling EVO 212 | Case Rosewill Redbone | PSU EVGA 600B | HDD Seagate 1TB

DangerousNotDell New Parts For Main Rig Build Log, Señor Shiny  I am a beautiful person. The comments for your help. I have to be a good book. I have to be a good book. I have to be a good book.

Well... Umm.

3655593891.png3655591807.png

This happens two to three times a month, to everyone using the service... GJ for trying to make the service work..

I'd hate an unstable connection like that, but at this point I'd almost take anything (heck, I'd pay more to get a 5meg connection). Anyway, I'm gonna try and stop bitching about my 2004-era internet. I've survived this long on it; I'm sure I can manage a little longer.

Lol thats actually a great idea 

I got the idea off of Lemony Snicket's 'A Series of Unfortunate Events' books with all the VFD stuff (Verbal Fridge Dialogue, Very Fancy Doilies, Volunteer Fire Department etc).

I'd hate an unstable connection like that, but at this point I'd almost take anything (heck, I'd pay more to get a 5meg connection). Anyway, I'm gonna try and stop bitching about my 2004-era internet. I've survived this long on it; I'm sure I can manage a little longer.

I'm supposed to be getting 3Mb/s down and 1Mb/s up... we were paying $150 USD for 1Mb/s down, and .5Mb/s up... Usually at this.. Just this is three times cheaper. It seems if I mention one thing about my lag while being in a skype call, while playing a game the responses I get are,

"Quit complaining about your internet, just get better internet. You have 3 Charter towers nearby..." He has 30-ish Mb/sdown

"I had to deal with .67Mb/s down and .3Mb/s up." he has 30-ish Mb/s down as well...

Then a different friend has 64 Mb/s down..

And the other has 200 Mb/s down. Except this one doesn't live anywhere near me...

Also 5 minutes into a skype call then it drops is awful..

/rant :(

Spoiler

Senor Shiny: Main- CPU Intel i7 6700k 4.7GHz @1.42v | RAM G.Skill TridentZ CL16 3200 | GPU Asus Strix GTX 1070 (2100/2152) | Motherboard ASRock Z170 OC Formula | HDD Seagate 1TB x2 | SSD 850 EVO 120GB | CASE NZXT S340 (Black) | PSU Supernova G2 750W  | Cooling NZXT Kraken X62 w/Vardars
Secondary (Plex): CPU Intel Xeon E3-1230 v3 @1.099v | RAM Samsun Wonder 16GB CL9 1600 (sadly no oc) | GPU Asus GTX 680 4GB DCII | Motherboard ASRock H97M-Pro4 | HDDs Seagate 1TB, WD Blue 1TB, WD Blue 3TB | Case Corsair Air 240 (Black) | PSU EVGA 600B | Cooling GeminII S524

Spoiler

(Deceased) DangerousNotDell- CPU AMD AMD FX 8120 @4.8GHz 1.42v | GPU Asus GTX 680 4GB DCII | RAM Samsung Wonder 8GB (CL9 2133MHz 1.6v) | Motherboard Asus Crosshair V Formula-Z | Cooling EVO 212 | Case Rosewill Redbone | PSU EVGA 600B | HDD Seagate 1TB

DangerousNotDell New Parts For Main Rig Build Log, Señor Shiny  I am a beautiful person. The comments for your help. I have to be a good book. I have to be a good book. I have to be a good book.

I personally get so annoyed dealing with people that don't understand how to use a computer.

Yes I understand they didn't grow up with them, but at least try and learn to use technology, it isn't going anywhere and the non-techies aren't either for awhile.

I'm supposed to be getting 3Mb/s down and 1Mb/s up... we were paying $150 USD for 1Mb/s down, and .5Mb/s up... Usually at this.. Just this is three times cheaper. It seems if I mention one thing about my lag while being in a skype call, while playing a game the responses I get are,

"Quit complaining about your internet, just get better internet. You have 3 Charter towers nearby..." He has 30-ish Mb/sdown

"I had to deal with .67Mb/s down and .3Mb/s up." he has 30-ish Mb/s down as well...

Then a different friend has 64 Mb/s down..

And the other has 200 Mb/s down. Except this one doesn't live anywhere near me...

Also 5 minutes into a skype call then it drops is awful..

/rant :(

Uhuh, I get the 'get better internet' thing as well. My package is Bt's 'up to 16meg (and 9 meg upload in small print)' package and even they say my line is rated for 1meg. FTTC is my only hope as it eliminates the 2-3 miles of wiring between me and exchange, leaving only the (30?) year old street cabinet as a potential problem. And then there's always the one who rubs it in your face (ooh, I got an upgrade to 150 meg to day, up from 70). We just gotta pray that for me BT sort their stuff out, and for you someone smacks the cable companies in the face with net neutrality and monopolisation (think Time Warner).

How does that matter in any way? Ther US has some of the best tech schools in the world and arguably the most of high-tech development in the world........

No, you're confusing that with silicon valley. In terms of computers, America is extremely good. In almost every other field of engineering, Germany and Japan dominate. (Hitachi's old hard disks, for example...)

Ok, you win (the worst internet award). The worst thing is that my download is more-or-less twice yours, yet it's only a 0.4meg difference. That's how sad it is with low numbers. Even a 2meg connection would more-than half my download times for steam :(

OK, wow, I'm 37% faster today :o

3665637990.png

Holy shit you beat me, my down is 0.65 mb/s

Follow the topics you create using the "Follow" button in the top right corner!

One day I will have my GTX 970. One day. PC specs are at my profile.

Not sure how to check what part works with what? Check out my compatibility guide!

Posted Image

This is my ADSL internet ( my bro is downloading stuff)

Apart from the upload I can't see why that's a D+. Like, really

Why do we suddenly need Korean internet to get a good rating? Oh, and if this keeps going someone should make a Experiences with bad internet/I like to bitch about 20th cent internet in the 21st cent. ;P

The DVD-Drive stopped working and my dad immediately puts the blame on me. I mean how is it my fault when I have a laptop and I haven't used it in a 6 months

Apart from the upload I can't see why that's a D+. Like, really

Why do we suddenly need Korean internet to get a good rating? Oh, and if this keeps going someone should make a Experiences with bad internet/I like to bitch about 20th cent internet in the 21st cent. ;P

Yeh, upload is terrible, but ping time is great!

Lets take this in to a PM.

No, you're confusing that with silicon valley. In terms of computers, America is extremely good. In almost every other field of engineering, Germany and Japan dominate. (Hitachi's old hard disks, for example...)

The US have advanced engineering in all fields, with high budgets and a lot of government backing. They are among the world leaders in research of all fields. It is hard to point at one single country and claim that it is the best or one is better than the other.

Spoiler

CPU:Intel Xeon X5660 @ 4.2 GHz RAM:6x2 GB 1600MHz DDR3 MB:Asus P6T Deluxe GPU:Asus GTX 660 TI OC Cooler:Akasa Nero 3

SSD:OCZ Vertex 3 120 GB HDD:2x640 GB WD Black Fans:2xCorsair AF 120 PSU:Seasonic 450 W 80+ Case:Thermaltake Xaser VI MX OS:Windows 10
Speakers:Altec Lansing MX5021 Keyboard:Razer Blackwidow 2013 Mouse:Logitech MX Master Monitor:Dell U2412M Headphones: Logitech G430

Big thanks to Damikiller37 for making me an awesome Intel 4004 out of trixels!

my mother started yelling at me because i wasn't putting the hose in the pool because i was trying  to save my 1,200 dollar gaming rig from certain doom

Please follow your topics guys, it's very important! CoC F.A.Q  Please use the corresponding PC part picker link for your country USA, UK, Canada, AustraliaSpain, Italy, New Zealand and Germany

also if you find anyone with this handle in games its most likely me so say hi

my mother started yelling at me because i wasn't putting the hose in the pool because i was trying  to save my 1,200 dollar gaming rig from certain doom

What happened to it?

The US have advanced engineering in all fields, with high budgets and a lot of government backing. They are among the world leaders in research of all fields. It is hard to point at one single country and claim that it is the best or one is better than the other.

Actually, there are several European countries that are far more advanced in terms of sustainable energy technology and infrastructure. North America is really behind in that regard and is not the most advanced country(s) in every field.

My Systems:

Main - Work + Gaming:

Spoiler

Woodland Raven: Ryzen 2700X // AMD Wraith RGB // Asus Prime X570-P // G.Skill 2x 8GB 3600MHz DDR4 // Radeon RX Vega 56 // Crucial P1 NVMe 1TB M.2 SSD // Deepcool DQ650-M // chassis build in progress // Windows 10 // Thrustmaster TMX + G27 pedals & shifter

F@H Rig:

Spoiler

FX-8350 // Deepcool Neptwin // MSI 970 Gaming // AData 2x 4GB 1600 DDR3 // 2x Gigabyte RX-570 4G's // Samsung 840 120GB SSD // Cooler Master V650 // Windows 10

HTPC:

Spoiler

SNES PC (HTPC): i3-4150 @3.5 // Gigabyte GA-H87N-Wifi // G.Skill 2x 4GB DDR3 1600 // Asus Dual GTX 1050Ti 4GB OC // AData SP600 128GB SSD // Pico 160XT PSU // Custom SNES Enclosure // 55" LG LED 1080p TV  // Logitech wireless touchpad-keyboard // Windows 10 // Build Log

Laptops:

Spoiler

MY DAILY: Lenovo ThinkPad T410 // 14" 1440x900 // i5-540M 2.5GHz Dual-Core HT // Intel HD iGPU + Quadro NVS 3100M 512MB dGPU // 2x4GB DDR3L 1066 // Mushkin Triactor 480GB SSD // Windows 10

WIFE'S: Dell Latitude E5450 // 14" 1366x768 // i5-5300U 2.3GHz Dual-Core HT // Intel HD5500 // 2x4GB RAM DDR3L 1600 // 500GB 7200 HDD // Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon

EXPERIMENTAL: Pinebook // 11.6" 1080p // Manjaro KDE (ARM)

NAS:

Spoiler

Home NAS: Pentium G4400 @3.3 // Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3 // 2x 4GB DDR4 2400 // Intel HD Graphics // Kingston A400 120GB SSD // 3x Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200 HDDs in RAID-Z // Cooler Master Silent Pro M 1000w PSU // Antec Performance Plus 1080AMG // FreeNAS OS

the graphics card fried

ahh. how much was it to replace?

Personally I don't get it to much, but I have a few that I can remember are reoccuring events. Most of my experience is with design programs and 3DS max. So most of mine is the magical button that does every thing for me. They always think its so easy to build a 3d model or make an animation. "You just gotta push a button thats all......." So they expect the finished product within a couple days, then I have to start explaining and showing what it takes. Happens all the time.

I did have a time whne someone asked if they can download a processor, sooooo...yeah. Then I said "no you can't download a CPU." The reply was interesting, "You miss heard me, I said Processor."

Thats my short story for today.