Experiences with non-techies

3 minutes ago, wat3rmelon_man2 said:

My dad uses a 2015? macbook air (the ones with the butterfly keyboard) and over the years he's had it more and more keys have stopped working. It's at the point where he carries around a mouse and a 60% mechanical kb to compensate. Refuses to get it fixed/buy a new computer. Will add pics if i can later.

Apple has to replace it for free, I believe.

Tell him that.

elephants

2 minutes ago, wat3rmelon_man2 said:

My dad uses a 2015? macbook air (the ones with the butterfly keyboard) and over the years he's had it more and more keys have stopped working. It's at the point where he carries around a mouse and a 60% mechanical kb to compensate. Refuses to get it fixed/buy a new computer. Will add pics if i can later.

The butterfly keyboards are quite a bit newer than that actually; I bit of digging around suggests they first appeared on an Air in 2018.

They were horrible to type on too even when they were working. Felt like pressing a cheap remote control button. (I tried one out in the Apple Store; you know a keyboard is bad when it's unpleasant even to use it for a few minutes)

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

pythonmegapixel

into tech, public transport and architecture // amateur programmer // youtuber // beginner photographer

Thanks for reading all this by the way!

By the way, my desktop is a docked laptop. Get over it, No seriously, I have an exterrnal monitor, keyboard, mouse, headset, ethernet and cooling fans all connected. Using it feels no different to a desktop, it works for several hours if the power goes out, and disconnecting just a few cables gives me something I can take on the go. There's enough power for all games I play and it even copes with basic (and some not-so-basic) video editing. Give it a go - you might just love it.

Just now, pythonmegapixel said:

The butterfly keyboards are quite a bit newer than that actually; I bit of digging around suggests they first appeared on an Air in 2018.

They were horrible to type on too even when they were working. Felt like pressing a cheap remote control button. (I tried one out in the Apple Store; you know a keyboard is bad when it's unpleasant even to use it for a few minutes)

Apple in 2015 and 2016 introduced updated keyboards for its MacBook and MacBook Pro, debuting new butterfly keys with home switches beneath each key that minimize thickness while also providing a satisfying press under the fingers.

Not sure if the Air was included in this, it could have been a later model but it was 2015-16 I know. 

Apple in 2015 and 2016 introduced updated keyboards for its MacBook and MacBook Pro, debuting new butterfly keys with home switches beneath each key that minimize thickness while also providing a satisfying press under the fingers.

Not sure if the Air was included in this, it could have been a later model but it was 2015-16 I know. 

Yeah, they were different things.

The Air wasn't properly refreshed from the original 2008 design until 2018, and that's when it got the butterfly keyboard.

pythonmegapixel

into tech, public transport and architecture // amateur programmer // youtuber // beginner photographer

By the way, my desktop is a docked laptop. Get over it, No seriously, I have an exterrnal monitor, keyboard, mouse, headset, ethernet and cooling fans all connected. Using it feels no different to a desktop, it works for several hours if the power goes out, and disconnecting just a few cables gives me something I can take on the go. There's enough power for all games I play and it even copes with basic (and some not-so-basic) video editing. Give it a go - you might just love it.

Just now, Schnoz said:

It's amazing how some people try to sell their car/PC/etc. for exactly the amount of money they spent on it. What's even worse here is that someone actually bought it.

There's a sucker born every day. 😉 

2 minutes ago, Schnoz said:

Another example: Trying to sell a Pentium D computer from like 2005 for USD $350:

But that Pentium D in the right board might do 8ghz!!! XD

Got one for you guys. My aunt moved today in to a different apartment. She still in the same complex but moved a few buildings over to a bigger apartment. Comcast told her to just take her equipment over on the day and it should all work. Well the internet didnt, we had TV but no internet connectivity. Well anyway she calls them up to get some assistance. So I walk away for two second and my dad pressed the WPS button the the gateway. "I thought it would help" he said. 

Oh and my parents dont understand the difference between WiFi and cellular data. Because my mom was like, well wouldn't the internet quite working on my phone if we dont have Wifi? I was like no there's this little thing called the T Mobile network that your phone also connects in to. 

Lastly, when you call Comcast for tech support they try to sell you shit. They kept trying to get my aunt to sign up for Xfinity Mobile. They did this twice. She flat out told them she is happy with T Mobile. My aunt was about to go nuclear on them I think. Its like, she's calling you because your service is NOT working, why the fuck would she want to buy more services from you when the services she is already paying for dont work!!!! 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

1 minute ago, Schnoz said:

Only if you have a grain silo filled with liquid helium on hand plus a firefighting helicopter lol

You're probably right. Mine only did about 4.1ghz on water..... 

2 minutes ago, Donut417 said:

Got one for you guys. My aunt moved today in to a different apartment. She still in the same complex but moved a few buildings over to a bigger apartment. Comcast told her to just take her equipment over on the day and it should all work. Well the internet didnt, we had TV but no internet connectivity. Well anyway she calls them up to get some assistance. So I walk away for two second and my dad pressed the WPS button the the gateway. "I thought it would help" he said. 

Oh and my parents dont understand the difference between WiFi and cellular data. Because my mom was like, well wouldn't the internet quite working on my phone if we dont have Wifi? I was like no there's this little thing called the T Mobile network that your phone also connects in to. 

Lastly, when you call Comcast for tech support they try to sell you shit. They kept trying to get my aunt to sign up for Xfinity Mobile. They did this twice. She flat out told them she is happy with T Mobile. My aunt was about to go nuclear on them I think. Its like, she's calling you because your service is NOT working, why the fuck would she want to buy more services from you when the services she is already paying for dont work!!!! 

I pay for internet and have the free cell service with them. They charge 12$ per 1gb. Unlimited for 45$ or w/e. 

You're right though. They try to sell me on that Triple play package. NO THANKS!

But sir, you can get a bundle with TV and phone service for X price. No.

But sir, you can upgrade your modem and handle more devices. No.

But sir, you can.... miss, I have internet and phone service from you. I pay enough already. I don't need to shell 300$ a month to you for something I can view on my web browser. All channels are streaming live on the internet. In fact, I can't believe you still sell that dated Cable TV crap any ways. Thanks but no thanks. 

My internet costs me 89$ a month for 250 gigabit. My bill goes up, I degrade the package. 

Funny enough, my entertainment bills are the highest of all bills. lol. 3 kids, all want games. 

No, go outside you spoiled brats. Go eat some dirt or something.

Just now, ShrimpBrime said:

I pay for internet and have the free cell service with them. They charge 12$ per 1gb. Unlimited for 45$ or w/e. 

You're right though. They try to sell me on that Triple play package. NO THANKS!

But sir, you can get a bundle with TV and phone service for X price. No.

But sir, you can upgrade your modem and handle more devices. No.

But sir, you can.... miss, I have internet and phone service from you. I pay enough already. I don't need to shell 300$ a month to you for something I can view on my web browser. All channels are streaming live on the internet. In fact, I can't believe you still sell that dated Cable TV crap any ways. Thanks but no thanks. 

My internet costs me 89$ a month for 250 gigabit. My bill goes up, I degrade the package. 

Funny enough, my entertainment bills are the highest of all bills. lol. 3 kids, all want games. 

No, go outside you spoiled brats. Go eat some dirt or something.

Sounds familiar (AT&T). I was on the phone, threatening to leave them. I can go to a more "local" cell provider and save money... And have reception at the house. Ended up being $45 less a month. I'd have to get a new number. I've been with AT&T since 2012. I get them to knock $40 off my monthly bill, get a slightly better plan. All is good. Lady is done having me yell at her.

Then she asks if I want the AT&T tv. Tells me I can get 25% off my cell plan if I do it. I don't have cable. I explain to her that I don't have cable and don't want cable. So I ask her how much a month the TV plan is. $60 is what she tells me. So if I pay $60 a month for tv, I can get like $20 knocked off my phone bill and never watch the TV?

People don't actually fall for that without hearing the numbers....... do they?

I'm not actually trying to be as grumpy as it seems.

I will find your mentions of Ikea or Gnome and I will /s post. 

Project Hot Box

CPU 13900k, Motherboard Gigabyte Aorus Elite AX, RAM CORSAIR Vengeance 4x16gb 5200 MHZ, GPU Zotac RTX 4090 Trinity OC, Case Fractal Pop Air XL, Storage Sabrent Rocket Q4 2tbCORSAIR Force Series MP510 1920GB NVMe, CORSAIR FORCE Series MP510 960GB NVMe, PSU CORSAIR HX1000i, Cooling Corsair XC8 CPU block, Bykski GPU block, 360mm and 280mm radiator, Displays Odyssey G9, LG 34UC98-W 34-Inch,Keyboard Mountain Everest Max, Mouse Mountain Makalu 67, Sound AT2035, Massdrop 6xx headphones, Go XLR 

Oppbevaring

CPU i9-9900k, Motherboard, ASUS Rog Maximus Code XI, RAM, 48GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB 3200 mhz (2x16)+(2x8) GPUs Asus ROG Strix 2070 8gb, PNY 1080, Nvidia 1080, Case Mining Frame, 2x Storage Samsung 860 Evo 500 GB, PSU Corsair RM1000x and RM850x, Cooling Asus Rog Ryuo 240 with Noctua NF-12 fans

Why is the 5800x so hot?

2 minutes ago, IkeaGnome said:

People don't actually fall for that without hearing the numbers....... do they?

lol. yes, yes they do. Sucker born every day. Companies thrive on suckers.

5 minutes ago, ShrimpBrime said:

lol. yes, yes they do. Sucker born every day. Companies thrive on suckers.

But, you make the lady on the phone about cry, and assume she's actually trying to save you money?

I feel bad for people that would fall for that.

Project Hot Box

CPU 13900k, Motherboard Gigabyte Aorus Elite AX, RAM CORSAIR Vengeance 4x16gb 5200 MHZ, GPU Zotac RTX 4090 Trinity OC, Case Fractal Pop Air XL, Storage Sabrent Rocket Q4 2tbCORSAIR Force Series MP510 1920GB NVMe, CORSAIR FORCE Series MP510 960GB NVMe, PSU CORSAIR HX1000i, Cooling Corsair XC8 CPU block, Bykski GPU block, 360mm and 280mm radiator, Displays Odyssey G9, LG 34UC98-W 34-Inch,Keyboard Mountain Everest Max, Mouse Mountain Makalu 67, Sound AT2035, Massdrop 6xx headphones, Go XLR 

Oppbevaring

CPU i9-9900k, Motherboard, ASUS Rog Maximus Code XI, RAM, 48GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB 3200 mhz (2x16)+(2x8) GPUs Asus ROG Strix 2070 8gb, PNY 1080, Nvidia 1080, Case Mining Frame, 2x Storage Samsung 860 Evo 500 GB, PSU Corsair RM1000x and RM850x, Cooling Asus Rog Ryuo 240 with Noctua NF-12 fans

Why is the 5800x so hot?

Just now, IkeaGnome said:

But, you make the lady on the phone about cry, and assume she's actually trying to save you money?

I feel bad for people that would fall for that.

Just how it is. Use leverage where possible. 

So.... My school has some teachers with unusual prices of knowledge of how to use computers.

She put in a USB drive and file manager didn't open.

So she opened control panel to open it.

She knows about control panel, but not file manager......

I could use some help with this!

please, pm me if you would like to contribute to my gpu bios database (includes overclocking bios, stock bios, and upgrades to gpus via modding)

Bios database

My beautiful, but not that powerful, main PC:

prior build:

Spoiler

2 hours ago, Schnoz said:

Another example: Trying to sell a Pentium D computer from like 2005 for USD $350:

image.png.ad47bcb2697bca9fa3c589cfbef7726c.png

Jesus christ. I found an AMD Athlon dual core system for $25 and free shipping the other week. Bigger hard drive, more ram, etc for literally $25...

Also there is this seller on ebay called Godspeed Computers selling crappy video cards (like HD 6350, 8800GTS, etc) for literally in the thousands.

3 minutes ago, wat3rmelon_man2 said:

Jesus christ. I found an AMD Athlon dual core system for $25 and free shipping the other week. Bigger hard drive, more ram, etc for literally $25...

Also there is this seller on ebay called Godspeed Computers selling crappy video cards (like HD 6350, 8800GTS, etc) for literally in the thousands.

No shit? I have a few older cards here.... I Need Money! 

download.jpg.d83bc8b6a56fd7c6d046f4ea1a992c0c.jpg

Ah, yes - I would like to spend $2000 on a GTX 470:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/224433235774?hash=item344143673e:g:~LoAAOSwp2lgf1ZD
Or how about a GTX 250 1GB for $2000?
https://www.ebay.com/itm/324227776589?hash=item4b7d7b404d:g:peYAAOSwMtBfC8EW
Nah, I like the $2000 Quadro 4000 better:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/324227776589?hash=item4b7d7b404d:g:peYAAOSwMtBfC8EW

But Kepler is better! How about this Quadro K4200 for $2000?
https://www.ebay.com/itm/324418400489?epid=1756110990&hash=item4b88d7f0e9:g:pbEAAOSwPyReaA9E

Hmm, no, I'd rather spend $2000 on an eMachines PCIe x1 display output:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/223956495337?hash=item3424d8ebe9:g:AOIAAOSw5OddgXe1
Or how about a GTX 660 2GB for $2000 (this is how my cards look, except it says GTX 650 Ti BOOST not GTX 660 in the corner)?
https://www.ebay.com/itm/324418399272?hash=item4b88d7ec28:g:ETkAAOSwpSleoT6M

Or a Quadro T600 for $2000?
https://www.ebay.com/itm/324418397139?hash=item4b88d7e3d3:g:AOIAAOSw5OddgXe1
No, a GeForce 6200 PCI video card for $2000!
https://www.ebay.com/itm/324418400105?hash=item4b88d7ef69:g:P-UAAOSwSMZeJpdf

I wonder how many parts this guy has sold.

elephants

2 hours ago, Donut417 said:

Comcast called work one day to let us know our data useage was up and then proceeded to try to sell us faster internet, thankfully the old lady that used to work with us was smart enough to get me 'the computer guy' to talk to them because she was confused. Scummy sales person too, we have a business account which has no data cap and our data use had doubled, I asked them if we had a data cap we were approaching and they fumbled and hemmed and hawed and so I asked them again and they said no, so I asked them why they were calling, they hawed some more and tried to spiel me about internet speeds and data use and I asked them again if we have a data cap, they said no, so I asked directly "are you calling to sell us more internet that we don't need?" silence, I asked them to please not make sales calls to us anymore and take us off the marketing list. Haven't called since, probably got flagged as a hostile account lol.

Same old lady had the number in the contacts list for Comcast from a sales flyer they sent out, so when the new girl called up Comcast cause the internet was out she was going round and round with a sales person before she finally said 'I'M NOT BUYING ANYTHING, WHAT YOU SOLD US ISN'T WORKING, EITHER FIX IT OR SEND ME TO SOMEONE WHO WILL!'

Oh my mother is great. I've been explaining some of the crypto mining I'm doing, she's into stocks and investing (has a MBA) so it's kind of up her alley and she understands some aspects of it better than I do when it comes to the investing and markets side of it. When my NiceHash earnings have been up lately I told her I was making double my usual $30 a week but I didn't expect it to last, she told me to 'get another computer to mine with'. I lamented that I was out of spare parts to build another one and that due to lack of supply the parts I needed were uneconomical. Well she inquired what parts I needed, I explained that graphics cards RX580 or better and GTX 1060 or better are needed to mine with. She, in motherly fashion, said that her (long term) boyfriends brother does 'computer work' and she'd ask him if he had anything I could buy. I told her that it wasn't likely and that if he did he should be mining with it or selling it because hardware prices were up like 500% and he could turn a tidy profit. She's nearly 70 and sharp as a tack!

3 hours ago, Bitter said:

I've never understood those absurd listings.

It's all just to trick the people who know nothing about tech. For exampe, I bet everybody here has said once in their lifes, OMG INTEL I3, and then now you realize it's a dual core second gen

Whenever I talk about Tech and OSes in particular people will be like: Please speak German with me and stop using English Words !?! 

Like, Windows in German would be "Fenstern". 

You can take a look at all of the Tech that I own and have owned over the years in my About Me section and on my Profile.

I'm Swiss and my Mother language is Swiss German of course, I speak the Aargauer dialect. If you want to watch a great video about Swiss German which explains the language and outlines the Basics, then click here.

If I could just play Videogames and consume Cool Content all day long for the rest of my life, then that would be sick.

On 4/22/2021 at 1:28 PM, IkeaGnome said:

A miner and I were talking about home networking yesterday. He comes around the corner in time to see the layout on the computer that I'm thinking of and hears me tell the miner that it's the long range AP, so it's good for 180 meters. 

Turns into a 20 minute conversation of why that wont work for him instead of his router.

Follow up to this. He now understands that he can't run a POE access point without a bunch of other equipment. He also understands that (the simplest way to explain it all), not all ethernet carries power, but power can carry ethernet. He's getting powerline adapters with WiFi boosters.

Project Hot Box

Oppbevaring

Why is the 5800x so hot?

27 minutes ago, soldier_ph said:

Whenever I talk about Tech and OSes in particular people will be like: Please speak German with me and stop using English Words !?! 

Like, Windows in German would be "Fenstern". 

Not a native speaker of German here, but I think if someone used the phrase "Fenstern installieren" I'd assume that they were discussing some physical windows being put in, on their house or something? I've never actually seen in translated in the context of the OS.

pythonmegapixel