Experiences with non-techies

My mom constantly confuses SSDs and SD cards. I just got an 860 Evo a week ago and she kept referring to it as an SD card.

lumpy chunks

Expand to help Bunny reach world domination

(\__/)
(='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy Bunny into your signature to
(")_(") help him on his way to world domination.

-Rakshit Jain

On 1/11/2021 at 7:03 PM, LloydLynx said:

My mom constantly confuses SSDs and SD cards. I just got an 860 Evo a week ago and she kept referring to it as an SD card.

Your mom knows what's a SD card, that's a start. 

Desktop: 7800x3d @ stock, 64gb ddr4 @ 6000, 3080Ti, x670 Asus Strix

Laptop: Dell G3 15 - i7-8750h @ stock, 16gb ddr4 @ 2666, 1050Ti 

I guess this is a good place for a 10.000th post so here we go. 

My GF's mom had her phone reboot because of a software update and after that she couldn't use the phone anymore because she doesn't know her Apple ID and Password, so she contacts her Ex who has all the data (yes, really). 

So she get's access to her phone back after a couple days. During that time she can't do sh#t because she also doesn't know her emails credentials since she is just Auto-logged-in on her phone and her email also runs off of the server of her ex's company. 

Me: well this is a great time to make a new email, change it everywhere and set up a password manager! 

But no! She has a different, genius plan! 

She just bought a little book and writes all her credentials in it. 

That's exactly the definition of "NOT a genius plan". What the actual f#ck. 

Gaming HTPC:

R5 5600X - Cryorig C7 - Asus ROG B350-i - EVGA RTX2060KO - 16gb G.Skill Ripjaws V 3333mhz - Corsair SF450 - 500gb 960 EVO - LianLi TU100B

Desktop PC:
R9 3900X - Peerless Assassin 120 SE - Asus Prime X570 Pro - Powercolor 7900XT - 32gb LPX 3200mhz - Corsair SF750 Platinum - 1TB WD SN850X - CoolerMaster NR200 White - Gigabyte M27Q-SA - Corsair K70 Rapidfire - Logitech MX518 Legendary - HyperXCloud Alpha wireless

Boss-NAS [Build Log]:
R5 2400G - Noctua NH-D14 - Asus Prime X370-Pro - 16gb G.Skill Aegis 3000mhz - Seasonic Focus Platinum 550W - Fractal Design R5 - 
250gb 970 Evo (OS) - 2x500gb 860 Evo (Raid0) - 6x4TB WD Red (RaidZ2)

Synology-NAS:
DS920+
2x4TB Ironwolf - 1x18TB Seagate Exos X20

Audio Gear:

Hifiman HE-400i - Kennerton Magister - Beyerdynamic DT880 250Ohm - AKG K7XX - Fostex TH-X00 - O2 Amp/DAC Combo - 
Klipsch RP280F - Klipsch RP160M - Klipsch RP440C - Yamaha RX-V479

Reviews and Stuff:

GTX 780 DCU2 // 8600GTS // Hifiman HE-400i // Kennerton Magister
Folding all the Proteins! // Boincerino

Useful Links:
Do you need an AMP/DAC? // Recommended Audio Gear // PSU Tier List 

On 1/23/2021 at 3:12 PM, smartninja365 said:

Ram =Random Access Memory  and  ram is physical and vram you cant download its a scam 

wwwwwwwwwwoooooooooooooooooooooshhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

I live in misery USA. my timezone is central daylight time which is either UTC -5 or -4 because the government hates everyone.

into trains? here's the model railroad thread!

On 1/23/2021 at 6:11 AM, FloRolf said:

But no! She has a different, genius plan! 

She just bought a little book and writes all her credentials in it. 

That's exactly the definition of "NOT a genius plan". What the actual f#ck. 

I keep a physical book in a safe with all my info, it's a good idea, but not a book that you should leave lying around. 

AMD blackout rig

cpu: ryzen 5 3600 @4.4ghz @1.35v

gpu: rx5700xt 2200mhz

ram: vengeance lpx c15 3200mhz

mobo: gigabyte b550 auros pro 

psu: cooler master mwe 650w

case: masterbox mbx520

fans:Noctua industrial 3000rpm x6

My mother is the least tech-savvy person I know.  Couldn't tell you the difference between a web browser and a search engine.  Tech is too far above her head so she just hates it, but she has to use it sometimes.  One of the more recent things she had me help her with was to highlight text in google slides (which she forgot how to do, because she has highlighted things in the past).  What she was doing to get around that? She was making text boxes, filling them with color, and lowering the opacity.  Individually.  Because she only copy pastes when it comes to text unless prompted to by someone else.  And no, nothing was aligned properly.
I love her, but showing her things can be exhausting, because she really doesn't listen to explanations of how things work.

6 minutes ago, Schnoz said:

One of my customers wanted me to repair their 2012 Macbook Pro with a failed hard drive. Thing is, they explicitly refused a speedier, cheaper SSD replacement and specifically asked for an identical 5400 RPM HDD. Why? "Because it's officially certified by Apple." No amount of persuading would convince him to let me install an SSD.

give him the ssd, charge him for the hdd 
/s

AMD blackout rig

cpu: ryzen 5 3600 @4.4ghz @1.35v

gpu: rx5700xt 2200mhz

ram: vengeance lpx c15 3200mhz

mobo: gigabyte b550 auros pro 

psu: cooler master mwe 650w

case: masterbox mbx520

fans:Noctua industrial 3000rpm x6

10 hours ago, Schnoz said:

One of my customers wanted me to repair their 2012 Macbook Pro with a failed hard drive. Thing is, they explicitly refused a speedier, cheaper SSD replacement and specifically asked for an identical 5400 RPM HDD. Why? "Because it's officially certified by Apple." No amount of persuading would convince him to let me install an SSD.

and he'll probably rant about you for installing a slow drive

Hi

Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler

hi

15 hours ago, Schnoz said:

Honestly, people and 'official' certifications can get way too far. Yes maybe a 'genuine apple HDD' is more reliable than a cheap brand-name but there are way more brand names in the storage space than Apple, that are also known to make reliable products.

There's a reason why OEM's make huge money from their 'geniune' gear.

Big gaming much youtube video making

i7 4790k @ 4.8 GHz -- Corsair H100i   |   2x8 HyperX fury + 2x4 another HyperX = 24 Gb: very cursed I know

EVGA GTX 980 with very boring   |   1 TB Rocket Q + 18 TB spinning metal and a 1 TB server out of garbage

Define R4 + tape to plug up holes   |   1,000W EVGA Supernova   |   Maximus 7 (VII) Hero   |   still have an optical drive

Quickfire TK and OG g502, the mouse I simp for

3x1080p60, plus a tv and a modified photo frame please help i have too many monitors

I dual-boot Ubuntu and Windows with a history of dual-booting Manjaro. not cool enough to use arch btw

Surface Pro 4 and iPhone X (not a sheep I swear)

Find me at https://linktr.ee/RaddedMC

On 11/3/2020 at 12:18 PM, ragnarok0273 said:

Stop that! You'll get electrocuted!

Tell that to the people who lick 9-volt batteries to test them lmao

Big gaming much youtube video making

i7 4790k @ 4.8 GHz -- Corsair H100i   |   2x8 HyperX fury + 2x4 another HyperX = 24 Gb: very cursed I know

EVGA GTX 980 with very boring   |   1 TB Rocket Q + 18 TB spinning metal and a 1 TB server out of garbage

Define R4 + tape to plug up holes   |   1,000W EVGA Supernova   |   Maximus 7 (VII) Hero   |   still have an optical drive

Quickfire TK and OG g502, the mouse I simp for

3x1080p60, plus a tv and a modified photo frame please help i have too many monitors

I dual-boot Ubuntu and Windows with a history of dual-booting Manjaro. not cool enough to use arch btw

Surface Pro 4 and iPhone X (not a sheep I swear)

Find me at https://linktr.ee/RaddedMC

Colleague of mine wants to upgrade from a PS4 to PC. Tells me his budget is around 1000 pounds and he wants it prebuilt from a specific website. 

I put in a build (5600x, 3060ti, 16GB 3600MHz RAM etc) and explained to him my rationale (get a cheaper aircooler to save money on the budget, it will be enough for stock speeds and then in 3 years or so when he needs more power he can add a high end air cooler or water cooling and overclock it, don't need more than 16GB of ram, don't add a HDD, get it cheap used instead to save money on the budget etc). 

He then comes back the next day and tells me that his mate knows a lot about PC's and he took his advice instead. The build from the other guy was 200 pounds over budget, included an i7 9700K, water cooling, a 1050 ti, 32GB of RAM, and a 2TB SSD. 

He was obviously really excited about it and wasn't gonna change his mind, so I congratulated him on switching to PC and just mentioned that while his current GPU is okay, he's gonna need to switch it out for a better one eventually. 

It's just frustrating that he's gonna get a PC that will end up being 500 pounds or so over budget (assuming he sells his 1050 ti for 100 and switches to a 3060 ti or something) when he could have gotten a PC that was just as good or better for a good bit less. 

my mom is non techie she  says not to go inside google chrome but in windows there is no google only google chrome.

my grandmother think if the phone is restarting it is out of battery but it is actually an os update

Pls Mark a solution as a solution, would be really helpful.

BTW pls correct me, iam really stoobid at times.

techie and not techie are actually the same, you know those people who are sure about everything? those are a big pain in the ass, and no way that they are in the wrong, they are Always in the right, and the whole situation gets even worse when they are in a group

• 3 weeks later...
On 9/23/2020 at 6:31 PM, Andreas Lilja said:

In 2020 it's more of a tool than a luxury.

Might as well have no bank account.

My phone looks like this and I'm doing just fine. I'm 21 btw, and I just don't want/need to be constantly attached to my phone. I have a laptop where I do anything that would usually be done on a phone, but it is not the kind of thing I take out every spare second I have.

alcatel.jpg

3 hours ago, guitargirl15 said:

My phone looks like this and I'm doing just fine. I'm 21 btw, and I just don't want/need to be constantly attached to my phone. I have a laptop where I do anything that would usually be done on a phone, but it is not the kind of thing I take out every spare second I have.

alcatel.jpg

I don't know a lot about tech, and I wanna switch to a laptop + flip phone workflow like you, but I don't know how mobile-centric apps like whatsapp or snapseed would work

Is there a solution or am I stuck with smartphones?

5 hours ago, guitargirl15 said:

Depending on use case, there's really nothing wrong with it. You probably have a cheaper phone bill and saved on the phone. You really only need a smartphone if you really want the extra QOL/apps. I watch movies, do stocks, email, mobile helpdesk, meetings, web browsing, and hotspot from my phone; so I really couldn't get anything besides a smartphone. But if you have something that fills your needs, more power to you. I will say that if any of those features speak to you on a personal level, there are always very attractive offerings at the $200 level.

My phone, the Pixel 3a XL, recently was on sale refurbished for like $150 and my gf bought one. So there are always ways to get in cheap. I don't care about what someone has unless it's actively hampering them and they're just being stubborn.

Level 2 Tech Support for a Corporation servicing over 12,000 users and devices, AMA

Desktop - CPU: Ryzen 5800x3D | GPU: Sapphire 6900 XT Nitro+ SE | Mobo: Asus x570 TUF | RAM: 32GB CL15 3600 | PSU: EVGA 850 GA | Case: Corsair 450D | Storage: Several | Cooling: Brown | Thermal Paste: Yes

Laptop - Dell G15 | i7-11800H | RTX 3060 | 16GB CL22 3200

Plex - Lenovo M93p Tiny | Ubuntu | Intel 4570T | 8GB RAM | 2x 8TB WD RED Plus 

A parent couldn't manage to get connected to the mobile hotspots we have setup for kids who lack home internet and they said "Well the wind is blowing pretty hard so maybe I need to get closer to the signal." They were not joking. A restart of the device fixed their issue as wifi profiles are updated daily.

Level 2 Tech Support for a Corporation servicing over 12,000 users and devices, AMA

Desktop - CPU: Ryzen 5800x3D | GPU: Sapphire 6900 XT Nitro+ SE | Mobo: Asus x570 TUF | RAM: 32GB CL15 3600 | PSU: EVGA 850 GA | Case: Corsair 450D | Storage: Several | Cooling: Brown | Thermal Paste: Yes

On 1/30/2021 at 8:40 PM, Schnoz said:

what the frick heck his OEM HDD will die with 3-4 years good luck

Everyone, Creator初音ミク Hatsune Miku Google commercial.

Cameras: Main: Canon 70D - Secondary: Panasonic GX85 - Spare: Samsung ST68. - Action cams: GoPro Hero+, Akaso EK7000pro

Dead cameras: Nikion s4000, Canon XTi

Pc's

Spoiler

Dell optiplex 5050 (main) - i5-6500- 20GB ram -500gb samsung 970 evo  500gb WD blue HDD - dvd r/w

HP compaq 8300 prebuilt - Intel i5-3470 - 8GB ram - 500GB HDD - bluray drive

old windows 7 gaming desktop - Intel i5 2400 - lenovo CIH61M V:1.0 - 4GB ram - 1TB HDD - dual DVD r/w

main laptop acer e5 15 - Intel i3 7th gen - 16GB ram - 1TB HDD - dvd drive                                                                     

school laptop lenovo 300e chromebook 2nd gen - Intel celeron - 4GB ram - 32GB SSD 

audio mac- 2017 apple macbook air A1466 EMC 3178

Any questions? pm me.

#Muricaparrotgang                                                                                   

On 2/4/2021 at 12:56 AM, my name is guru iam tech said:

my mom is non techie she  says not to go inside google chrome but in windows there is no google only google chrome.

On 2/4/2021 at 12:49 AM, Schnoz said:

Waaaay too many people I know  do this:

this is my mom 100% and I can't help her

A dvd she thinks that video stopped halfway though is region locked.

Since 2006 she has thought that.

I took the video into VLC media player and it worked.

she also thinks bing is the best than, I open up task mang *sees pc go brrrrrr*

yep I need her to change to fireefox or chrome

Everyone, Creator初音ミク Hatsune Miku Google commercial.

Cameras: Main: Canon 70D - Secondary: Panasonic GX85 - Spare: Samsung ST68. - Action cams: GoPro Hero+, Akaso EK7000pro

Dead cameras: Nikion s4000, Canon XTi

Pc's

Spoiler

Dell optiplex 5050 (main) - i5-6500- 20GB ram -500gb samsung 970 evo  500gb WD blue HDD - dvd r/w

HP compaq 8300 prebuilt - Intel i5-3470 - 8GB ram - 500GB HDD - bluray drive

old windows 7 gaming desktop - Intel i5 2400 - lenovo CIH61M V:1.0 - 4GB ram - 1TB HDD - dual DVD r/w

main laptop acer e5 15 - Intel i3 7th gen - 16GB ram - 1TB HDD - dvd drive                                                                     

school laptop lenovo 300e chromebook 2nd gen - Intel celeron - 4GB ram - 32GB SSD 

audio mac- 2017 apple macbook air A1466 EMC 3178

Any questions? pm me.

#Muricaparrotgang                                                                                   

On 2/1/2021 at 6:51 AM, cummerou1 said:

Colleague of mine wants to upgrade from a PS4 to PC. Tells me his budget is around 1000 pounds and he wants it prebuilt from a specific website. 

I put in a build (5600x, 3060ti, 16GB 3600MHz RAM etc) and explained to him my rationale (get a cheaper aircooler to save money on the budget, it will be enough for stock speeds and then in 3 years or so when he needs more power he can add a high end air cooler or water cooling and overclock it, don't need more than 16GB of ram, don't add a HDD, get it cheap used instead to save money on the budget etc). 

He then comes back the next day and tells me that his mate knows a lot about PC's and he took his advice instead. The build from the other guy was 200 pounds over budget, included an i7 9700K, water cooling, a 1050 ti, 32GB of RAM, and a 2TB SSD. 

He was obviously really excited about it and wasn't gonna change his mind, so I congratulated him on switching to PC and just mentioned that while his current GPU is okay, he's gonna need to switch it out for a better one eventually. 

It's just frustrating that he's gonna get a PC that will end up being 500 pounds or so over budget (assuming he sells his 1050 ti for 100 and switches to a 3060 ti or something) when he could have gotten a PC that was just as good or better for a good bit less. 

My buddy bought a PC from NZXT BLD and they charged him around $1600 for a 10400 and a 2080S build. I told him congrats but next time talk to me. I could've saved him around $400-600.

3 hours ago, Ash_Kechummm said:

I don't know a lot about tech, and I wanna switch to a laptop + flip phone workflow like you, but I don't know how mobile-centric apps like whatsapp or snapseed would work

Is there a solution or am I stuck with smartphones?

I think windows launched an update that made more android apps executable on windows, so maybe take a look at running them from there perhaps.

17 hours ago, guitargirl15 said:

21 and uses a flip fone? I'm surprised they haven't carted you off to do experiments on you 🤣

11 hours ago, Lord Bloobus said:

I think windows launched an update that made more android apps executable on windows, so maybe take a look at running them from there perhaps.

i looked it up, but apparently it needs a smartphone to run the app and then uses screen mirroring to show it on the PC, so it doesn't help at all 😞