Experiences with non-techies

what? did I misspell something? pretty sure that's a word...

You cant just put "er" on the end of any word you like and have it mean "more". There are "er" words out there, lesser, greater, faster, etc... but stupider is not a word. "More stupid" is what you were after. Learn some phonix kid!

Intel Inside. Overweight guy in his 30's outside.

You cant just put "er" on the end of any word you like and have it mean "more". There are "er" words out there, lesser, greater, faster, etc... but stupider is not a word. "More stupid" is what you were after. Learn some phonix kid!

Dictionary.com would have to disagree with you. "Stupider" is in their dictionary.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

Dictionary.com would have to disagree with you. "Stupider" is in their dictionary.

"Stupider" is accepted in non-formal communications. (at least that's what my Formal English professor taught us...)

Somehow my friend managed to get her computer to orange screen.  As in, upon booting up the computer you were presented with a solid orange screen and couldn't do anything.  :v

So I reinstalled Windows for her.

Then there was this other time that same friend said her keyboard wasn't working.  So I push a button to test it just in case and it worked just fine.  :v :P

I generally avoid fixing people's computers though as what'll happen is you fix it once and then they'll break it and want you to fix it again.  :P

According to a teacher in my school, Macs last longer because they don't get viruses. wat

because a virus(software) affects the lifetime of the hardware right?

Recovering Apple addict

ASUS Zephyrus G14 2022

Spoiler

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 6900HS GPU: AMD r680M / RX 6700S RAM: 16GB DDR5 

Duh. It's common knowledge dude. (joke) Technically some can though, but I consider those exceptions. Not the rule.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

Yes /s

If it's a mining virus (like that one packed in a fake GTAV torrent)... (seriously)

Duh. It's common knowledge dude. (joke) Technically some can though, but I consider those exceptions. Not the rule.

yeah, don't they hack the software on the cpu/motherboard itself?

Recovering Apple addict

ASUS Zephyrus G14 2022

Spoiler

Yes /s

If it's a mining virus (like that one packed in a fake GTAV torrent)... (seriously)

i know some can, but most don't ;)

also, going back to WinNut's post, kinda funny because macs actually can get viruses ;)

Recovering Apple addict

ASUS Zephyrus G14 2022

Spoiler

i know some can, but most don't ;)

also, going back to WinNut's post, kinda funny because macs actually can get viruses ;)

Bullshit.  ;)

Specs: CPU: AMD FX 6300 Motherboard: Gigabyte 970A DS3P RAM: HyperX Fury 16GB 1866MHz GPU: MSI R9 270 OC edition Case: Sharkoon VS3-S SSD: Samsung 840 EVO 120GB HDD: 1TB Caviar Blue PSU: Corsair CX500W

*If I say something that seems offensive, please don't take it seriously, it was most likely meant as a joke/sarcastically*

mhmm... Oxford/Websters (ie, real dictionaries) won't have it.

Intel Inside. Overweight guy in his 30's outside.

I got told off the other day for restarting a laptop that needed to install 32 updates because it updated itself.

:(

PC: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X Gigabyte X570 UD Corsair Vengence 32gb 3200MHZ Gigabyte RTX 2070 Intel 512gb boot / Seagate 2tb spinner Windows 10 Corsair 4000D black

Fyi i am Autistic (Aspergers) so sorry for any social mistakes (im mostly okay) If you want to learn more, Just ask! 

Everyone just stop arguing on this one. We don't want another "more data adds weight to a hard drive".

It doesn't? /s

Everyone just stop arguing on this one. We don't want another "more data adds weight to a hard drive".

I was really lazy and skipped over all that, long story short does it add more weight, if any?

Follow the topics you create using the "Follow" button in the top right corner!

One day I will have my GTX 970. One day. PC specs are at my profile.

Not sure how to check what part works with what? Check out my compatibility guide!

A friend of mine (bit tech illiterate) treats his gaming laptop horribly. It has a Core i7 and a mobile GTX 6-something. The works.

One day, I'm helping him with his comp. science homework. I see viruses everywhere (I do mean everywhere, on the taskbar giving pop-ups, there was this picture of a guy right next to the X, window size and -, don't even get me started).

I kind of just ignore it and show him what to do. As the clock reaches the time we have to go he turns his computer off.

Not by going into the start menu and pressing Shut Down but by holding the power button and forcing it to shut off without question...... He told me "Wait, you're not supposed to do that? I do that all the time."

|PSU Tier List /80 Plus Efficiency| PSU stuff if you need it. 

My system: PCPartPicker || For Corsair support tag @Corsair Josephor @Corsair Nick || My 5MT Legacy GT Wagon ||

"Smart phones and dumb people"

seriously though. I hate how simple it is to use any piece of technology. I feel like I'm being pushed along a path for the most part. Do this do that without any real way of being able to tinker with most products because of software limitations. *couchapplecough*

i hear stories and sometimes I wish I was born before all this ease of use stuff. At least make a class in k-12 mandatory that teaches how a computer works.

it saddens me to see how many people are able to "use" technology but are unable to truly use it if that makes sense to you guys.

/rant

The year is 20XX. Everyone plays Fox at TAS levels of perfection. Because of this, the winner of a match depends solely on port priority. The RPS metagame has evolved to ridiculous levels due to it being the only remaining factor to decide matches.

Only Abate, Axe, and Wobbles can save us.

I'm starting to make a name for myself at my school as "The kid who is good with tech"

(Accurate, I guess, but that's besides the point)

A girl came up to me and asked how to add more storage to her phone because her SD card was full...

Really? You put the files on your computer and then delete them off the card. And if you really want the files on your phone, just get a bigger SD card!

Mind blowing, I know.

I've built 3 PC's, but none for myself... In fact, I'm using an iMac that my dad bought for me as my desktop. Awkward...

Please don't say "SSD drive." By doing so, you are literally saying "Solid State Drive Drive" and causing my brain cells to commit suicide. The same applies to HDD (Hard Disk Drive) and PCIe (Peripheral Component Interconnect Express).

Yes /s

Or one that can stop your fans, then max your gpu and cpu on every boot. Or somehow edit the bios and set the voltage of cpu + ram to max. That would be a deadly virus.

I'm starting to make a name for myself at my school as "The kid who is good with tech"

(Accurate, I guess, but that's besides the point)

A girl came up to me and asked how to add more storage to her phone because her SD card was full...

Really? You put the files on your computer and then delete them off the card. And if you really want the files on your phone, just get a bigger SD card!

Mind blowing, I know.

Me after seeing this awesome new technology:

AMfgcGOLMqADK.gif

Who knew you could buy more storage for your phone?

I have to say the whole macs don't get viruses thing is seriously getting on my nerves almost everyone i know that has a mac uses that as the main reason they get a mac.

And then you bring up Linux... after which they shut their traps...