Battlefield 4 - the worst game I have ever played

nj4ck

If you were expecting anything interesting, anything you didn't already know, anything but the ramblings of a frustrated gamer who regrets wasting his money - now is your time to click away.

Now that we've got that out of the way, lets get to the point. This is my personal review of Battlefield 4, 18 months after its release. 

To be honest, I never really purchased the game, but it came with my R9 290, so I guess I can say I paid for it. I also purchased BF4 Premium for an additional €50, which, as will become obvious later, is a purchase I deeply regret. 

Lets start with the good stuff - the game is beautiful, its fun (when it works), the campaign could be worse and there are always plenty of servers to play on. That's about it. Now the bad & ugly:

1. It never works. The number of games I've been able to play without lag, rubber banding and/or getting randomly disconnected for no apparent reason is probably around 5. Out of a thousand. And no, its not my internet connection, since any other game I play online works fine. Every time I join a server, I spawn without a weapon and need to survive 10-15 seconds without a gun and without sound, until both of those things finally load and I'm able to play, provided I haven't been killed by a spawncamper yet. Sometimes I get random white noise in the middle of the game, which is about 10x louder than the rest of the audio and lasts for about 5 seconds before it goes away, only to reappear at any given point. Battlelog always lags behind the actual game and sometimes I need to wait hours to actually be able to equip an unlocked attachment in Battlelog. The game still has almost as many glitches as it had on launch day. Campaign mode was almost unplayable, since the other characters would randomly stop following me at several points in the game, and I'd need to restart the game to fix it. I could go on for days.

2. The netcode SUCKS. Even 18 months after the game's release, I still get dropped around corners, behind cover, through walls and even concrete floors, far behind cover. Enemies take 10-15 hits to kill with an assault rifle, but are able to drop me with one or two hits out of a P90. Here's BF4's netcode in one GIF:

ymWGL1R.gif

3. Map design is TERRIBLE. While all the maps are beautiful, there are only few maps that actually work well. Most of them are either a giant clusterfuck of choke points or a camper's paradise. Operation Metro, for example, has 6 main choke points around objective B. Almost every game I've ever played on that map boiled down to the entire team gathering at those choke points, everybody spamming smoke and flashbangs and everyone waiting for the enemy to peek around the corner, in order to waste him. The team that starts at objective A almost always wins, since they have the highground advantage.

Other maps like Silk Road, Lost Islands or Goldmud Railway are simply an open hunting ground for campers. Usually 90% of the team decides to camp somewhere behind a rock and wait for easy kills, while the other 10% that actually try to play the objective are just running around, getting constantly nailed by snipers. Even more annoying is that being in a vehicle gives players a huge advantage. If you're playing the assault class and you meet an enemy tank, there's literally nothing you can do but run. That leads to everyone either camping or using a tank/helicopter, and those who were unlucky enough not to secure a seat in a vehicle getting their asses handed to them.

And it doesn't end there. In my experience, almost all the infantry kills I have aquired on open maps like Paracel Storm or Goldmud Railway took place without the enemy ever firing back. Equally, most of the times I died was without me ever knowing where the enemy fire was coming from. With all this vegetation around you, it is almost impossible to see enemies before it's too late. At the same time, its almost impossible for the enemy to know where you are before you've dropped him. That isn't fun for either side, which I guess is why most of the players decide to hide out and camp on such maps.

4. Life as a noob. When I first started playing BF4, I searched specifically for "noob-friendly" servers. Problem is, more than half the players on those "noob-servers" are rank 140. Yeah, that didn't turn out well for me, so I tried some normal servers... everybody way rank 140. Well, fuck. That may just be a regional thing here in Germany, since most of the gameplay-footage from the US I've seen on youtube seemed like there were plenty of noobs on servers there, but for me in my situation this was highly frustrating.

Overall, I regret buying this game and I wish I could have my money back. It brings me more agony than joy and I will not be playing much of it in the future. Especially the netcode and overall broken-ness 18 months after release enrages me, since I feel it shows that EA and DICE have no interest in actually delivering a working game after they've taken our money. I've already committed to never again buying any EA or Ubisoft-published game at full price, and this certainly reinforces that decision.

If this is really the worst game you have ever played, you have not played many games...

Wait.... Why not? The only games that are worse are BF Hardline and everything after CoD 4.

Edit: And also Flatout 3...

Wait.... Why not? The only games that are worse are BF Hardline and everything after CoD 4.

Wow, you have not seen anything...

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

If this is really the worst game you have ever played, you have not played many games...

Agreed. Operation Metro is mean't to be a chokepoint. And what's your internet speeds? Cause after they ''fixed'' the game, I haven't heard about netcodes or anything... plus is there anyone else on the internet? What's the ping to the server you connect to?

The time you enjoy wasting, is not wasted time. 

I think you need to do some research mate. Pretty much all Battlefield and CoD games are playable. I'm not saying they are good, but definitely playable. There are some games out there that are FAR worse.

1. I had none of the issues you described, which makes me wonder if you put any effort into looking into them at all.  I've had one issue since launch, and it took 90 seconds to fix.  Since then I've had only good experiences with the game.
  2. Operation metro is a BF3 map (?) I dont know if they re-added it to BF4 in an update since I didn't buy premium or any DLC's.

Usually 90% of the team decides to camp somewhere behind a rock and wait for easy kills, while the other 10% that actually try to play the objective are just running around, getting constantly nailed by snipers. Even more annoying is that being in a vehicle gives players a huge advantage. If you're playing the assault class and you meet an enemy tank, there's literally nothing you can do but run. That leads to everyone either camping or using a tank/helicopter, and those who were unlucky enough not to secure a seat in a vehicle getting their asses handed to them.

And it doesn't end there. In my experience, almost all the infantry kills I have aquired on open maps like Paracel Storm or Goldmud Railway took place without the enemy ever firing back. Equally, most of the times I died was without me ever knowing where the enemy fire was coming from. With all this vegetation around you, it is almost impossible to see enemies before it's too late. At the same time, its almost impossible for the enemy to know where you are before you've dropped him. That isn't fun for either side, which I guess is why most of the players decide to hide out and camp on such maps.

This sounds like a server issue or a matter of who you play with.  I find servers with active and serious communities and join their teamspeaks, allowing so much more teamplay and  coordination.  Jumping into a 64player alone is always going to be bad.

Life as a noob. When I first started playing BF4, I searched specifically for "noob-friendly" servers. Problem is, more than half the players on those "noob-servers" are rank 140. Yeah, that didn't turn out well for me, so I tried some normal servers... everybody way rank 140.

I don't know what you expected in an 18 month old multiplayer game.  Go play any multiplayer game thats been out for a while and join any server and odds are that until you get better at the game you'll get shit on.  Playing with high level players is the only way to get better, joining "noob friendly" servers will be boring and nobody will work together.

Sounds like this is more of a you problem.  Try to have fun with it, and you will.

Personal Rig v3: AMD Ryzen 7 2700X | Noctua NH-U14S | Gigabyte B450 Aorus Pro ITX | Zotac GTX 2070 8GB | 16GB G-Skill Trident DDR4 3200MHz | EVGA Supernova 750B | Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX 

Peripherals: Sennheiser HD518 & Classic ModMic | Corsair K65 Luxe | Zowie EC2 | ASUS VG259QM  |  ASUS VG278E | Klipsch ProMedia 2.1

#1 Sounds like a you problem as I've played it plenty, about 300+ hours, without too much issue especially post patch.

#2 That's an engine thing because they CBA to take the year + to actually make a new engine

#3 I'm mostly with you on that front

#4 Don't play a game 18 months after release and expect there to be too many noobs. Even though it just got dropped to $10 most people who would have bought it already have it.

The game works fine, especially after their huge patch a short while back.

Knowledge is power, guard it well.

Steam | Twitch | YT | Build

I agree the netcode sucks. And they way the kinda fixed it in hardline is changed the time to kill. haha Its the same shit but now you just die faster lol It can be over 200ms of lag sometimes. That's just ridiculous lol And battlefield wants to try to be an esport lmao :lol:

You have not played Hot pursuit (2010), god was it horrible!

If you want to reply back to me or someone else USE THE QUOTE BUTTON!                                                      
Pascal laptops guide

i prefer bf3 over bf4

.......just because my system cant give out a decent fps ffs

"Sulit" (adj.) something that is worth it

i7 8700K 4.8Ghz delidded / Corsair H100i V2 / Asus Strix Z370-F / G.Skill Trident Z RGB 16GB 3200 / EVGA GTX 1080Ti FTW3 / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q

Samsung 850 EVO 500GB & 250GB - Crucial MX300 M.2 525GB / Fractal Design Define S / Corsair K70 MX Reds / Logitech G502 / Beyerdynamic DT770 250Ohm

SMSL SD793II AMP/DAC - Schiit Magni 3 / PCPP

Old Rig

i5 2500k 4.5Ghz | Gigabyte Z68XP-UD3P | Zotac GTX 980 AMP! Extreme | Crucial Ballistix Tactical 16GB 1866MHz

Snip

2. The netcode SUCKS. Even 18 months after the game's release, I still get dropped around corners, behind cover, through walls and even concrete floors, far behind cover. Enemies take 10-15 hits to kill with an assault rifle, but are able to drop me with one or two hits out of a P90. Here's BF4's netcode in one GIF:

ymWGL1R.gif

Snip

This is exactly how I feel every time I play BF4 normal.  I only play hardcore now because I got tired of being one/two shotted when I empty a whole clip on them.

I have a potato!

Snip

I used to think this way. Then I stopped playing BF4 for fun by myself, and ONLY play with friends and with global-conflict.org 

I find that, unless the game is designed to be singleplayer, I cannot stand it by myself, since there are so often issues with MP versions of games. Once you start playing with real people you know and talk to, all the other stuff is less important, and you just have fun shooting your buddies in a video game and laughing at bugs. 

D3SL91 | Ethan | Gaming+Work System | NAS System | Photo: Nikon D750 + D5200

Wow, you have not seen anything...

I think you need to do some research mate. Pretty much all Battlefield and CoD games are playable. I'm not saying they are good, but definitely playable. There are some games out there that are FAR worse.

I've over 150 PC-games here. Of course there is the usual f2p garbage like CounterStrike Online and FEAR Online, but nothing had such a high budget like Battlefield and still sucks so hard. There are people out there, that could've developed 10 games with half of the budget and every single one at least 100x better than Battlefield 4. I don't even know how they managed to suck more than Call of Duty Advanced Warfare with Battlefield Hardline. Srsly, EA and DICE are completly useless.

I've over 150 PC-games here. Of course there is the usual f2p garbage like CounterStrike Online and FEAR Online, but nothing had such a high budget like Battlefield and still sucks so hard. There are people out there, that could've developed 10 games with half of the budget and every single one at least 100x better than Battlefield 4. I don't even know how they managed to suck more than Call of Duty Advanced Warfare with Battlefield Hardline. Srsly, EA and DICE are completly useless.

BF: Hardline is made by Visceral Studios, not DICE.

And DICE can make good games like Mirror's Edge.

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

This is exactly how I feel every time I play BF4 normal.  I only play hardcore now because I got tired of being one/two shotted when I empty a whole clip on them.

Simple solution, learn to aim. 

CPU: Intel Core i7-4790k @ 4.7 1.3v  with a Corsair H80 w/Dual SP120s - Motherboard: MSI Z97 gaming 5 - RAM: 4x4 G.Skill Ripjaws X @ 1600 - GPU: Dual PowerColour R9 290- SSD: Samsung NVME SM951 256GB-- PSU: Corsair RM 1000  - Case: NZXT H440 Black/red - Keyboard: Coolermaster CM storm Quickfire TK, Cherry MX blues - Mouse: Logitech G502 - Heaphones: Beyerdynamic DT 770 - Monitors: 3x VE248H Eyefinity 1080P -  Phone: iPhone 6S Plus               Please post your specifications in your post, signature or even better, system page on your profile!

Are you really 20 years old? Either you are really exaggerating how bad BF4 is or you just want to troll...

Got Bf3 because hype and was my first AAA game i could play on my new computer . At the start it was ok but i noticed more and more bugs , but i accepted it all ... All the server disconnects , all the time wasted ... But i accepted it .Even got PREMIUM ( which was stupid ) . The content kept coming , expensive content but ok content . At the end of BF3 , it was ok , you could play decently , netcode wasnt that bad , not many OP weapons .

Decided to buy bf4 when it was announced .... and man... it was SUCH A HUGE DISSAPOINTMENT . I thought they learned their s**t from the last game . I immediately decided not to play it until it's fixed  , with monthly retries to check if the game was ok .... After 8 months i gave up . It was still s**t . Haven't bought bf4 premium , wont get hardline ... Battlefield series is dead for me until some miracle tier game happens .

EDIT : Forgot to mention i went to csgo , and after that experience i felt that movement in Bf4 is like having 2 bricks taped to each member of your body . I've become much more sharp at aiming , and started feeling the need even more tickrate ( more than 64 ticks , but even at 64 tick csgo is VASTLY superior to what bf4 offers )

After CoD5, WAW is fantastic game.

What comes to BF4, I haven't had any of the problems OP said.

Except people who do nothing else with their lifes except play a certain role (usually jet or attack heli) in battlefield, pisses me off.

Simple solution, learn to aim. 

Yet I score within the top 10 every time I play Hardcore.  Normal, I score low because I do not have all the upgrades for the weapons.  I guess I can't aim according to you. 

I have a potato!

Yet I score within the top 10 every time I play Hardcore.  Normal, I score low because I do not have all the upgrades for the weapons.  I guess I can't aim according to you. 

You dont score low because you dont have weapon attachments... Weapon attachments are cool, but they dont make that big of a difference.

I agree the netcode sucks. And they way the kinda fixed it in hardline is changed the time to kill. haha Its the same shit but now you just die faster lol It can be over 200ms of lag sometimes. That's just ridiculous lol And battlefield wants to try to be an esport lmao :lol:

Tried the beta , idk if it was patched , but time to kill was really small , and now with most people using some OP smg , in 0.5 seconds you're dead .

Tried the beta , idk if it was patched , but time to kill was really small , and now with most people using some OP smg , in 0.5 seconds you're dead .

TTK is supposed to be lower. I suppose you are talking about the K10, which is getting nerfed in a few weeks.