Linus takes the final step in abandoning his original audience.

I like some of the weird tech, but I really do miss the videos where he would just be doing something like getting 24gb of ram working on a rampage 3 extreme. Just random stuff was the reason I subscribed.

My PC CPU: 2600K@4.5GHz 1.3v Cooler: Noctua NH-U12P SE2 MB: ASUS Maximus IV RAM: Kingston 1600MHz 8GB & Corsair 1600MHz 16GB GPU: 780Ti Storage: Samsung 850 Evo 500GB SSD, Samsung 830 256GB SSD, Kingston 128GB SSD, WD Black 1TB,WD Green 1TB. PSU: Corsair AX850 Case: CM HAF X. Optical drive: LG Bluray burner  MacBook Pro, Hackintosh

So OP is saying Linus is turning into MKBHD? (jk dont hate on me)

Pretty much every PC Hardware channel is turning into what the OP thinks it is. It's basically just Linus trying to get in touch with the mainstream, now that he's self employed and all.

Although it did disturb me that a few Apple-centric channels have reviewed some PC products earlier than Linus has. Mainly because he does focus on reviewing some ridiculous tech sometimes. But we can't blame him for trying to cater to non-Windows/PC/Gaming/Folding/mining/watevs people. 

But I do miss the NCIX Linus. It allowed him to focus on where we really wanted him to. 

hello random lurker welcome to linus tech tips

Also, he is getting more professional, I think it is actually GOOD that his reviews are proper and not opinionated.

But once you remove your opinion from a review it becomes pretty much the same as everyone elses review of the same product.

Actually, small correction there; it is not a review if there is no opinion, but a commercial.

That is essentially what Linus' stuff feels like today for me. Commercials (with commercials in them)

In case the moderators do not ban me as requested, this is a notice that I have left and am not coming back.

I read your entire post but don't really feel like addressing all the points you've brought up since someone a few posts below your OP mentioned them. I've been watching Linus for at least 5 years and I grow more satisfied with the quality of his content every day. Just my additional $0.02. The man is doing a fantastic job growing his company and staying true to what he's good at imo.

Desert Storm PC | Corsair 600T | ASUS Sabertooth 990FX AM3+ | AMD FX-8350 | MSI 7950 TFIII | 16GB Corsair Vengeance 1600 | Seasonic X650W I Samsung 840 series 500GB SSD

Mobile Devices I ASUS Zenbook UX31E I Nexus 7 (2013) I Nexus 5 32GB (red)

Hey if you want him to go to Computex you can pay his way there.  Its extremely expensive to go and if they don't get the sponsors than they can't go.  As an original audience member I do not feel hurt or abandoned.  The channel has changed a ton over the past 1.5 years and for the most part it's for the better.  I like that he reviews things other than PC enthusiast stuff because even as an "enthusiast" I like other things. 

| Currently no gaming rig | Dell XPS 13 (9343) |

| Samsung Galaxy Note5 | Gear VR | Nvidia Shield Tab | Xbox One |

I really would have to agree with what you are trying to say. I first found Linus when he was doing his personal build logs. I was a complete computer newb at the time and i was interested in about everything there was to watch. (I even watched the full episode about sleeveing the cables. My main point is that i do miss the whole pcmasterrace part of LTT (which is still there sorta maybe), *BUT* i do enjoy the whole idea of LTT being more professianal and the quality of there videos being awesome and the phone reviews are somthing that have really grown on me. Also i miss all the unboxings that used to be uploaded a bit more than daily.

SONG- If you like pina-colatas ME- I like them SONG- And getting caught in the rain ME- I sorta like that SONG- If your not in to yoga ME- I hate yoga SONG- Then im the love that you look for ME-  :blink:  no...

I have similar feelings that are expressed by the OP. I feel as though all or most of the major Tech youtube channels have been commercialized by companies like ASUS to a point where these tech channels are big companies PR outfits. I think ASUS is the worst for it, teksyndicates 10 videos on all the new ASUS broads like seriously, did we need this much coverage by one person? How many other board reviews did he do? I believe that soon if not now companies will begin paying channels enough to stop covering other manufactures entirely and make them become biased. I actually find myself no longer watching linus's videos or anyone else videos becuase of similar reasons of boring same old content from the same old manufactures. What i do watch of Linus's videos is the obscure items, like the book lamp, no one else did a review of that obviously for a reason but it was one video where he did not have to please a Company in order to receive another product to review or WAN show sponsor. I like Ncix's video though they have that non-professionalism feel and don't feel as though they cover one company more than another. I realize he needs sponsors to keep going I get it. I don't think he is abandoning his audience, I just fear that he is slowly morphing into some companies primary advertising firm.

I think im just tired of the same videos just made by different people approach companies are trying pursue.

Spoiler

Corsair 400C- Intel i7 6700- Gigabyte Gaming 6- GTX 1080 Founders Ed. - Intel 530 120GB + 2xWD 1TB + Adata 610 256GB- 16GB 2400MHz G.Skill- Evga G2 650 PSU- Corsair H110- ASUS PB278Q- Dell u2412m- Logitech G710+ - Logitech g700 - Sennheiser PC350 SE/598se

Is it just me or is Grammar slowly becoming extinct on LTT? 

i dont even know what to say.,yeah it changed,but i still watch Linus videos. i like the wan show. ncix channel on the other hand ,no. its so stupid now 

I will admit I miss the content of their older videos. All the more obscure DIY hardware was awesome. I much prefer their current production quality though, obviously. But consider the position he is put in. If he wants the company to grow then he must hire more people. That means he has to make more money in order to pay those people. He is sort of forced into a position where he has to look to more mainstream products for showcasing. The truth is that given his company's size, there is no way that they could survive by only making videos about the more elite level enthusiast hardware. And it's not like that category has been abandoned completely, we still get great videos about bleeding edge hardware. It's just that there's growing to be less of that as time goes on.

He who dies with the most tools wins.

I know this will draw hate as is common on criticism, keep in mind this is my opinion and I'm sure Linus will do fine when shifting his content on to a different demographic altogether. Afterall, smartphones and general consumer gadgets are popular watching and I'm sure many of Linus' new audience is here and ready to defend him. But this is constructive criticism, so I would appreciate the same gesture in return.

Having been watching LTT for a long time, it has gone increasingly downhill over a long period of time for me:

• Linus prioritizing boutique video quality sacrificing all quantity and depth of insight. We're down to less than a video a day, and the ones we get are usually shorter and less opinionated/ insightful.
  • Forgetting who the audience is with an increasing number of consumer gadgets, (seriously, a wi-fi plant humidifier??) mobile phones, and other borderline tech of fringe interest to PC enthusiasts, even further lowering the quantity of content desired.
  • Getting on the same release bandwagon as all. the. other. tech. channels. Every video with a product I want to watch either doesn't exist at all or is covered by OC3D, Linus, TekSyndicate, TastyPC, SWEclockers and HardwareCanucks ALL AT ONCE.
  • Random WAN show guests that I very often find to be irrelevant and annoying. Getting that weird uncomfortable YouTube "buddy club" vibe that just kind of smells bad to me. Josh from Fractal being an exception.
  • Why go to PAX? There are hundreds of YouTube channels doing PAX. Just why?
  • Where are all the hidden gems in PC hardware? Have Linus completely abandoned reaching out to manufacturers for samples of interesting new coolers, cases, NAS boxes, you name it? It just seems Linus is more interested in autonomy, getting all the same stuff as everyone else, and losing touch with the market. It used to be about consumer enlightenment, showcasing stuff you might not have heard of. Remember the Thermaltake Tt eSports BAG? That kind of thing. I bought one because of Linus. What has Linus shown me in the past 6 months that I wanted to buy afterwards? Absolutely nothing, I'm afraid.

But the final step that is probably going to make me unsubscribe, is not going to Computex. Seriously, that is gutting. That is a stone-cold knife in the back to the original audience of the channel, to whom Computex is probably the highlight of the entire year, after the huge thrill of covering it last year. I could forgive anything from Linus but not that.

It makes me sad, as Linus Tech Tips has been my very favourite channel for years, but now it is my least favourite of all my subscriptions.

My 2 rubel, anyway.

Opinions are like a##holes, everybody has one and they ( and you) are entitled to it. Just the same as if you don't like the channel or content no one is forcing you to watch it. LTT has over 73,000 members and I don't really think that he is going to get a mass exodus over the points you have made. The WAN show regularly attracts as many as 2000 viewers which is pretty impressive so his content is still appealing to a lot of members. I like the way Linus presents his reviews and with his unique personality makes it enjoyable.

My 10c AUD

I think Linus is trying to make money, and that is just alright. You need to live somehow...

HOWEVER

I find his current videos much less engaging than what he used to put out. I rarrely even watch his videos, only if something exceptional is posted or an occasional WAN show. 

But it's still not as bad as The Tek, who have the same topics every week on their show and just keep on whining and whining about NSA or "net neutrality".

Spoiler

CPU:Intel Xeon X5660 @ 4.2 GHz RAM:6x2 GB 1600MHz DDR3 MB:Asus P6T Deluxe GPU:Asus GTX 660 TI OC Cooler:Akasa Nero 3

SSD:OCZ Vertex 3 120 GB HDD:2x640 GB WD Black Fans:2xCorsair AF 120 PSU:Seasonic 450 W 80+ Case:Thermaltake Xaser VI MX OS:Windows 10
Speakers:Altec Lansing MX5021 Keyboard:Razer Blackwidow 2013 Mouse:Logitech MX Master Monitor:Dell U2412M Headphones: Logitech G430

Big thanks to Damikiller37 for making me an awesome Intel 4004 out of trixels!

Linus will find you, and he will kill you. I completely agree with OP.

Case: Carbide 300R

CPU: i5 4690K @ 3.90GHz

RAM: 8GB DDR3

Mobo: MSI Z97-G45 Gaming

GPU: R9 290 Tri-X

PSU: EVGA SUPERNOVA NEX650G

Storage: 4TB NAS

Drive 1: Seagate 1TB 7200RPM

Drive 2: WD 500gb 7200RPM

Keyboard: Vengeance K50

Headset: Vengeance 1500 V2

Mouse: R.A.T 5

Monitor: LG 24EN33

wait 6 months for more videos, maybe it'll get better with more cores.

Stuff:  i7 7700k @ (dat nibba succ) | ASRock Z170M OC Formula | G.Skill TridentZ 3600 c16 | EKWB 1080 @ 2100 mhz  |  Acer X34 Predator | R4 | EVGA 1000 P2 | 1080mm Radiator Custom Loop | HD800 + Audio-GD NFB-11 | 850 Evo 1TB | 840 Pro 256GB | 3TB WD Blue | 2TB Barracuda

Hwbot: http://hwbot.org/user/lays/ 

FireStrike 980 ti @ 1800 Mhz http://hwbot.org/submission/3183338 http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/11574089

I agree with OP, but realistically this is what happens with all forms of media. If you don't like it, stop watching. "Vote with your wallet" if I may paraphrase.

Linus's business makes him money and the cold hard reality is nothing else matters. The old LTT model of picking up some random hardware from the warehouse next door and shooting the video with a camcorder simply isn't attractive to manufacturers, which is a problem because his subscriber base uses adblock. 

... which is a problem because his subscriber base uses adblock. 

Does this not hint at a bigger problem? Not about DRM & the whole piracy idea, but about how Linus' current audience feels about supporting him? >Assuming this is true.

I'm just saying. I agree in part with the OP. I don't watch Linus' videos anymore. I haven't for a while. Exceptions are only when I actually am interested in a product which is very rarely. Also, I don't use adblock. Ever. For varying reasons. 

I've voiced my opinion on this before. I probably will again one day. I'm just not interested in seeing a commercial. I was interested in discovering something cool with someone. Not have a stream of polished information shoved down my throat (how it feels sometimes). 

I understand he does it for money. That's one reason I haven't unsubbed. I just believe he could have had the best of both worlds. Retaining what his original audience enjoyed while still being more professional in part, but I feel like he sacrificed one to get the other. 

Again, I don't blame him for this, but at the same time, I'm not supporting him if what he produces isn't what I want. And that means not watching his videos unless I actually want a commercial. Which is almost never. 

Then I'm left with choosing between him and the other many tech reviewers, and in that instance, I'm left to choose between Linus' videos and other videos I probably enjoy watching more for different reasons. 

† Christian Member †

For my pertinent links to guides, reviews, and anything similar, go here, and look under the spoiler labeled such. A brief history of Unix and it's relation to OS X by Builder.

Actually, small correction there; it is not a review if there is no opinion, but a commercial.

That is essentially what Linus' stuff feels like today for me. Commercials (with commercials in them)

I agree that if there is no opinion, it isn't a review but a commercial.

I disagree that Linus' stuff feels more like commercials.

Linus is one of the few channels (the only one I subscribe to) that actually does a review and gives opinions on the product he reviews. I've watched Neweggs product overviews, Tech of Tommorrow, Tek Syndicate (though, admittedly, a lot less than the others) and I've kind of dropped off on watching their videos on products because they're all starting to feel more and more like the reading of a stat sheet with some b-roll. I really enjoy Linus because he goes into how it preforms and the usablility.

When I look for information on, say, a case, I want to know what it's like to build in one. What are the little things that can really hurt the product? Is there too little space behind the motherboard tray? Is the cable management any good? Is it easy to build in? How does it compare to other cases? I want information about a product that a stat sheet can't provide. If I want stats, I'll go look at stats. That's the kind of thing I'm after and Linus is one of the few places that actually does that.

Does that all mean I won't get a video until a few weeks after the product is released? Of course, but I'm not looking for a stats review, I want a usablity review and I'm willing to wait for that. I'm usually not in a huge hurry to get a product anyway so why not wait for a video that's gonna give me the information I'm after?

Also, it seems people are saying because LTT is becoming more professional, their videos are becoming more and more like commercials, I'm not seeing that at all. The two aren't mutually exclusive. I think LTT is getting more professional and providing more than just a commercial.

I disagree with a lot of the reasons people don't like where LTT is going, but I can definitely see where most of them are coming from.

To my eyes Linus is just doing what he's always done. But now on a bigger more professional scale.

I think it's your perspective that has changed.

Preach it!

I agree and disagree, I think the quality of the vids is getting better and better and the quantity is just fine. However I would like to see more proper computer stuff on the channel, like I would love to see a vid on Peltier cooling. I don't really like phones and speakers as much as CPU coolers and fancy monitors.

CPU: i7 3770k@ 4.6Ghz@ 1.23v - GPU: Palit GTX 660ti - MOBO: Asrock Extreme 4 - RAM: Corsair vengeance 8GB 1600Mhz - PSU: OCZ 650watt - STORAGE: 128Gb corsair force GT SSD/ 1TB seagate barracuda 7200rpm

COOLING: NH-U14s/ 3x Noiseblocker blacksilent pros/ Silverstone Air Penetrator/ 2 corsair AF120s

I preferred the older stuff where it was slick or camera man holding a camera as Linus talked about the product. In becoming more professional they have lost most of the personality that quite a few of us subscribed for. I still watch his videos but only the PC stuff.

Simple Stryker (Now Finished  ;) )

The Terrible HP

I agree and disagree as I got started on the LTT channel from my interest in Computer Part Reviews (cases, motherboards, monitors, keyboards, etc), nothing else. But I only ever watch the videos that relate to subject matter I would actually consider purchasing at some point, so the fact a good chunk of his content has no interest to me (cell phones, tablets, indie games, etc) doesn't mean I will stop watching the ones that do, just as I have always done.

I do understand where you are coming from though.

[Case] Phanteks Eclipse P400S TG (Air Mesh) || [CPU] Ryzen 7 5800X || [Cooler] Dark Rock Slim || [Mobo] ROG STRIX B550-F || [RAM] 32GB Trident Z RGB 3600MHz CL16

[GPU] XFX MERC319 Radeon RX 6950XT || [SSD] 1TB WD SN550 M.2 NVME || [HDD] 6TB Seagate IronWolf 7200 || [PSU] Corsair AX850

[Display] LG 27GL850 @ 2560x1440 - 144Hz || [Mouse] ROG Gladius II || [Keyboard] ROG Strix Flare (Cherry MX Red) || [Speakers] 2.1 Logitech Z-3 || [Fans] 3x 120mm Corsair LL RGB

Theater Room - My 11.1 Home Theater

I've been saying that for a long time.

And appart from abandoning unboxings. [WHY THE FUCK><] he focuses on 99.999% mainstream stuff that is usually covered even sooner by other channels.

I've come to prefer Logan over Linus for quite some time now, as Logan [with a few exceptions like his Mayflower videos] managed to keep up the quality of his old videos.

Linus is becoming more and more your random TV-Ad guy. Soon we'll have LinusTeleShopTips.

The reviews lack depth, if they do have somewhat depth, say a GPU, he uses completely invalid, unobjective and unreliable measurements [like the only 3 things to consider, failing in all of them -> overclocked GPUs].

And he's become R E A L L Y greedy, to the point that it's disgusting me.

Ads in the middle of the video, payed forum subscriptions, youtube ads, preroll ads, ads at the end of the videos. The WAN show basically contains 15mins worth of ads. If I buy stuff on Amazon, I'm using Logan's affiliate link, as he seems to be a much more honest person and less greedy.

I have not finished any LTT video in the last 3 months as it's the same shit over and over and over and over again. Superficial overviews of stuff I have seen 15x by the time Linus gets to it.

I remember Linus claiming that the forum never will have ads. Now he's making you pay 5-25$/mt for this "priviledge". [Or just use AdBlock. This. Ftw.]

I did contribute to the first blood "campaign" as at the time I saw the request for some funding as justified. But somehow he got too much and made him way too greedy. And this is really annoying.

LTT's videos consist of glamour shots and a semi-biased opinion. And Ads. OMG the Ads. I swear to god I'll find a way to black out the ads in the videos =P

Stop being a greedy little man. His Youtube / forum success made him mad and that's what you get. Teleshoping.

Sad to see what became of the kinda creepy little geek with h2-blonde hair making a crappy but amusing video on some parkbench.

Edit:

Buy a T-Shirt.

Frost upon these cigarettes.... lipstick on the window pane...

I know one thing, I love this Communality and this forum :D, everything else is personal preference from one person to the next.

My Sig Rig: "X79 (3970X) -Midas"http://pcpartpicker.com/p/wsjGt6"  "Midas" Build Log - https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/59768-build-log-in-progress-code-name-midas/

"The Riddler" Custom Watercooled H440 Build Log ( in collaboration with my wife @ _TechPuppet_ ) - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/149652-green-h440-special-edition-the-riddler-almost-there/

*Riptide Customs* " We sleeve PSU cables "

• You do get a video per day

LinusTechTips, not LinusEnthusiastTips

NDA's are a thing

There haven't been many guests recently and that's just your opinion

If you are mad about them going to PAX then why are you mad they're not going to Computex? They'll be hundreds of channesl covering Computex, why?

i'm a potato