Pakistan has announced it is banning Tinder, Grinder and several other dating apps

Sandro Linux
13 minutes ago, Ashley xD said:

well, look at Minds, Bitchute and Gab for examples. venture there at your own risk though, such platforms attract actual neo nazi people etc because they don't get banned there. not that that is the only content you'll find, but there is quite a bit of that over there. so, if you are sensitive to that kind of thing go there at your own risk. 

What about Peertube? It does not seem to have too much hate on it

My Laptop: A MacBook Air 

My Desktop: Don’t have one 

My Phone: An Honor 8s (although I don’t recommend it)

My Favourite OS: Linux

My Console: A Regular PS4

My Tablet: A Huawei Mediapad m5 

Spoiler

Just now, Sandro Linux said:

What about Peertube? It does not seem to have too much hate on it

never heard of it. bitchute in particular though is bad. stefan molynoux, a white supremacist and i'm pretty sure a neo nazi is pretty big there since he got banned from youtube and bitchute does nothing about him. basically all these free speech platforms eventually become echochambers of those kinds of views because the mainstream platforms ban those people. 

She/Her

Not the eThots

B061B16E-8507-4851-A403-374097DA6FAC_4_5005_c.jpeg.bb232b80923031ba8b44d40f2a3e128c.jpeg

Laptop: 2019 16" MacBook Pro i7, 512GB, 5300M 4GB, 16GB DDR4 | Phone: iPhone 13 Pro Max 128GB | Wearables: Apple Watch SE | Car: 2007 Ford Taurus SE | CPU: R7 5700X | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 32GB 3200 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 11 | Storage: 1TB Crucial P3 NVME SSD, 1TB PNY CS900, & 4TB WD Blue HDD | PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 600W | Display: LG 27GL83A-B 1440p @ 144Hz, Dell S2719DGF 1440p @144Hz | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G305 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball | Server: 2018 Core i3 Mac mini, 128GB SSD, Intel UHD 630, 16GB DDR4 | Storage: OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad (6TB WD Blue HDD, 12TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB Crucial SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD)

5 hours ago, Sandro Linux said:

My thoughts

I think this is bad because it will make it harder for people to meet people on the internet

What do you think we did before cell phones?

a) websites

b) IRC

To which I'm going to say that the apps themselves are kinda primarily used as prostitution by one section of the userbase. Not saying that's what people intentionally use them for, but for women the apps are kinda just a hellscape of people that don't read the profile, and for men they're a shopping list of who they they think is hot. 

So in countries that frown upon having any kind of relationship outside of marriage, the apps look like prostitution rather than "help me find someone I'm compatible with", and a really it's a more efficient version of the "website" experience, where you might have to sift through thousands of people holding beers/wine-glasses before you find someone unique.

1 hour ago, Zodiark1593 said:

banning open computing platforms altogether. 

Don’t give them any ideas

✧・゚: *✧・゚:*  Quote for a reply  *:・゚✧*:・゚✧

✧・゚: *✧・゚:*   Ask for discord   *:・゚✧*:・゚✧

4 hours ago, gabrielcarvfer said:

Never said anything about legality. They're hosting and delivering content that goes against the ToS (e.g. explicit content). Tumblr also got a free pass when they shouldn't, if Apple really applied their rules uniformly.

well by that theory ban any web browsers and also twitter. you can access explicit content there too. 

She/Her

6 minutes ago, gabrielcarvfer said:

Exactly.

you unironically want all web browsers and also twitter banned?

She/Her

1 hour ago, Kisai said:

What do you think we did before cell phones?

a) websites

b) IRC

To which I'm going to say that the apps themselves are kinda primarily used as prostitution by one section of the userbase. Not saying that's what people intentionally use them for, but for women the apps are kinda just a hellscape of people that don't read the profile, and for men they're a shopping list of who they they think is hot. 

So in countries that frown upon having any kind of relationship outside of marriage, the apps look like prostitution rather than "help me find someone I'm compatible with", and a really it's a more efficient version of the "website" experience, where you might have to sift through thousands of people holding beers/wine-glasses before you find someone unique.

I suspect it’s a hellscape/shopping list for both sexes.  There’s as many BS profiles as there are people who don’t read them.  To the point that reading them becomes nearly pointless which creates more hellscape problems.

Like with most things in life  Humans BS each other and It causes problems 

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

14 hours ago, williamcll said:

This seems more like a religious issue. I wonder will Indonesia will follow suit.

Most likely or maybe not Pakistan is Muslim-dominant. Indonesia is more mixed

13 hours ago, Ashley xD said:

and that is a problem because...? if the people involved are consenting adults then there is nothing wrong with it. we aren't living in the middle ages anymore, people have relationships and intimacy before marriage. 

in fact, i don't even plan to get married. why should i lol. 

There is no logic when it comes to religion my friend

I'm a Pakistani currently living in Malaysia and all i can say i'm surprised they didn't do it earlier (i assumed any platform promoting romantic interests would have been banned). Our government is in a quandary/paradox, they want to advance into modern society but at the same time they do things like this which sets back their attempts trying to go forward.

PC: Ryzen 5 2600, 16GB 3200mhz RAM (8GBx2), Gigabyte B550M DS3H, GTX 1050 2GB, 650W Semi-Modular PSU80+ Gold

Phone: Poco F3 8GB + 256GB

Audio: Samson SR850s

Sound Card: SoundBlaster Play 4 USB sound card

IEM: planning to get the KBEAR KS2s
Please be patient with me, I'm fatally dumb and its honestly a miracle I've made it this far

< removed by moderation >

Bumble is basically the women-in-charge version of Tinder, which is probably equally hard to use there. I can see why Grindr might be banned on principle, and I've never heard of Tagged, Skout, and SayHi.

The thing is, the nicer way for those apps to even work is to take the photos out of the first step and place it after frequented locations are identified. Do some location fencing to track locations that the user indicates are not their home and not their place of work, and then ask the user "You seem to go to X place frequently, have you met anyone there?" and put up a "meet matches here" flag for the location. Likewise "(event) is happening at (location you visit), want to meet anyone there?"

But I digress, the reason these apps are kinda considered prostitution is because people are looking for a hookup and not a relationship.

Edited by LogicalDrm

15 hours ago, WikiForce said:

i also think they are immoral, i believe relationships before marriage are sinful. Same should be done in India as well.

it's way more than meeting, most of them make illicit intimate contact and just want some cheap fling

If the demand is great enough, new platforms will rise to take their place. Shut those down, and more will spawn. With anonymizing measures employed, the expense of shutting down such sites could be formidable in the future.  Would it be worth it to expend the resources to go after every new site that offers the contentious product?

My eyes see the past…

My camera lens sees the present…

I’m wondering what similar dating apps didn’t get banned and what was the criteria and rationale for the ones that did and didn’t?

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

This is what happens when you elect a former cricketer to become Prime Minister who is basically a sockpuppet for the military, surely they have better things to do right? their rupees has hit all time low of around 170 Pak rupees per 1$, but yes banning dating apps is the priority, good job. 

Spoiler
Spoiler

AMD 5000 Series Ryzen 7 5800X| MSI MAG X570 Tomahawk WiFi | G.SKILL Trident Z RGB 32GB (2 * 16GB) DDR4 3200MHz CL16-18-18-38 | Asus GeForce GTX 3080Ti STRIX | SAMSUNG 980 PRO 500GB PCIe NVMe Gen4 SSD M.2 + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1TB PCIe NVMe M.2 (2280) Gen3 | Cooler Master V850 Gold V2 Modular | Corsair iCUE H115i RGB Pro XT | Cooler Master Box MB511 | ASUS TUF Gaming VG259Q Gaming Monitor 144Hz, 1ms, IPS, G-Sync | Logitech G 304 Lightspeed | Logitech G213 Gaming Keyboard |

PCPartPicker 

13 minutes ago, Rohith_Kumar_Sp said:

This is what happens when you elect a former cricketer to become Prime Minister who is basically a sockpuppet for the military, surely they have better things to do right? their rupees has hit all time low of around 170 Pak rupees per 1$, but yes banning dating apps is the priority, good job. 

Only a bit more than half a cent apiece? Ouch.  And the dollar hasn’t been doing that well lately.     Looking at euros it’s currently 195.4 to one.  Does smell of a distraction attempt.

Just now, Dean0919 said:

Bitchute is amazing. They don't censor your for your opinions like Youtube and far left websites.

that has pro's and con's. the pro being you have absolute freedom of speech. the con being that such freedom attracts individuals like actual white supremacists and neo nazi's to the platform because they can say those things without being banned... 

She/Her

2 hours ago, Teddy07 said:

I think it is a good move

Then I recommend you think a bit more.

Even if you dislike Tinder/Grindr/whatever, people should be free to do whatever they want. We shouldn't strive to have an overreaching government controlling what we can and can't do all the time.

8 minutes ago, Ashley xD said:

that has pro's and con's. the pro being you have absolute freedom of speech. the con being that such freedom attracts individuals like actual white supremacists and neo nazi's to the platform because they can say those things without being banned... 

An interesting observation about that is that the less a platform forces a certain agenda, the more right-wing the platform naturally becomes.

Makes you wonder how much control some mega corporations actually have over peoples' lives and views, when unmoderated and unfiltered platforms are so drastically different from the heavily moderated and censored ones.

Edit:

Or maybe that's because a certain group of people are driven to the unmoderated platforms. I guess in countries like Pakistan the opposite is true. The pro-gay-rights people are driven to the unmoderated platforms because the regular platforms are heavily moderated for anti-homosexuality.

Just now, LAwLz said:

An interesting observation about that is that the less a platform forces a certain agenda, the more right-wing the platform naturally becomes.

Makes you wonder how much control some mega corporations actually have over peoples' lives and views, when unmoderated and unfiltered platforms are so drastically different from the heavily moderated and censored ones.

most of the prominent creators there are literally white supremacists and neo nazi's. i guess that is technically right wing but like

She/Her

Largely intend to stay out of this clusterfuck waiting to happen. But since i saw this on a news piece about this elsewhere and it seems to have slipped everyone's attention here i'm going to pop in to mention it.

Bear in mind that in Pakistan it isn't just socially unacceptable to have intimate relations outside of marriage, it's actually illegal. Thats going to automatically put dating apps under a lot of legal spotlight in the same way any torrent hosting service is vis a vis piracy in western countries.