Nvidia 30 Series unveiled - RTX 3080 2x faster than 2080 for $699

illegalwater

@illegalwater

Your thread doesn't meet guidelines for Tech News section. Mainly its missing personal input in form of opinion and/or summary of the product/news item. Please fix this.

Thread has been moved out of Tech News.

Edited by LogicalDrm

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

Digital Foundry already has the cards and while they couldn't speak in framerate, they compared their RTX 3080 results to RTX 2080Ti in percentage and gains were mostly in 80-90% performance uplift in NON RTX games! Some games a bit lower down to 60&, but even at 60%, that's huge uplift. When was the last time we've seen such jumps?

And that's for RTX 2080Ti comparison. I'm with GTX 1080Ti which is what, 20% slower than RTX 2080Ti? This means I'll actually see 2x performance with upgrade. For $700. With VAT here in Europe it'll still be more, but lets say 100-150 on top of that. Damn, NVIDIA really dropped the mic and hyped me. Really wasn't expecting such dramatic difference and it seems like a perfect time to jump on ray tracing bandwagon. I still hope AMD will have a good release with Big Navi and they were already reaching these levels of performance too.

33 minutes ago, Drama Lama said:

Nvidia‘s CEO kinda admitted that pascal had a higher performance jump than Turing 

I think Nvidia wants to get rid of the -ti naming and the will replace it with Super because super Sounds much cooler than ti 

Yeah, Nvidia admitted that Ti and SUPER naming schemes were too confusing.

3080Ti may or may not exist but just not under that name 😉.

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

1 minute ago, RejZoR said:

Digital Foundry already has the cards and while they couldn't speak in framerate, they compared their RTX 3080 results to RTX 2080Ti in percentage and gains were mostly in 80-90% performance uplift in NON RTX games! Some games a bit lower down to 60&, but even at 60%, that's huge uplift. When was the last time we've seen such jumps?

Keep in mind though that those were the games that Nvidia told Digital Foundry to run.

Digital Foundry didn't run them because they're good games to compare.

1 minute ago, RejZoR said:

And that's for RTX 2080Ti comparison. I'm with GTX 1080Ti which is what, 20% slower than RTX 2080Ti? This means I'll actually see 2x performance with upgrade. For $700. With VAT here in Europe it'll still be more, but lets say 100-150 on top of that. Damn, NVIDIA really dropped the mic and hyped me. Really wasn't expecting such dramatic difference and it seems like a perfect time to jump on ray tracing bandwagon. I still hope AMD will have a good release with Big Navi and they were already reaching these levels of performance too.

Rumors on Big Navi is beating 3080 by quite a bit in best case scenario. Beating 3090 is likely off the table.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

17 hours ago, Origami Cactus said:

with the new nvidia cards, i also heard a lot of talk about "big navi" etc, so does anyone also have the release time for them?

Most likely October although I suppose if AMD wanted to rush the launch and pull a 30 series (with how rushed it is) then they could probably do a paper launch late September.

I'm for sure going to get a 3090, but not sure if I want to get FE or ASUS card. I'm liquidcooling it either way, so don't care about the cards cooler etc. 

Preferably I would want to get a Poseidon to replace my current one, but I guess that product line is dead

Well, the fact they are hitting 100% performance uplift in several games and not just 1 example is an outstanding result, even if they were hand picked. I mean, even in worse case scenario you're still seeing at least 50% uplift. When was the last time we got that kind of jump between two generations. I can count that on a hand of a very clumsy carpenter...

3 minutes ago, RejZoR said:

For $700. With VAT here in Europe it'll still be more, but lets say 100-150 on top of that. Damn, NVIDIA really dropped the mic and hyped me.

It's amazing how well they've skewed our vision of what graphics cards should be worth that we're all jumping about at a $700 price tag.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not taking a shot at you, I'm also on a 1080ti that I bought in late 2017 for £654 (~€740), and physically felt a sense of relief when he said $699 for the 3080. The 2080 and the whole turing line were such a disappointment in terms of price and the low performance gains. My 1080ti became a unicorn and I thought I might have to wait 3 generations to get a card that was in that same price bracket but with an upgrade.

Now I find myself even considering the 3070 since it would be somewhere a bit above the 1080ti in performance but add the other abilities.

Got to say Nvidia is really double and tripling down on the value adds for having their cards. Shadowplay was excellent for the last decade, but now to see all these improvements they're trying to make in data speeds, decompression, encoding, broadcasting, it's truly becoming more than just the GPU that's at consideration.

Athan is pronounced like Nathan without the N. <3

3 minutes ago, RejZoR said:

I can count that on a hand of a very clumsy carpenter...

You don't know how much I needed a laugh this morning, thank you so much ❤️

Athan is pronounced like Nathan without the N. <3

8 hours ago, Brooksie359 said:

Honestly if you bought the 2080ti when it first came out you had top of the line performance for a whole two years. Is it the best value ever? No but if you care about value you aren't a flagship card buyer anyways and probably don't have a monitor that would require the 2080ti over a more reasonably priced gpu. I bought the 2080ti for my 4k 144hz monitor and it did its job beautifully and will likely be replaced by the 3090. 

It wasn't worth it if you had a GTX 1080 Ti, the RTX 2080 Ti is around 23% faster than the GTX 1080 Ti. But I get there are people that don't care about value and will buy it anyway. The RTX 2000 was just Nvidia experimenting with their RT tech and overpricing the cards because of no competition. And yeah the RTX 3090 is overpriced as hell. Even if it's a behemoth of a card, we can't justify it's price.

"Tolerance is the lube that helps the dildo of dysfunction slip into the ass of a civilized society" - Plato 427-347 BC

"Tolerance and apathy are the last virtues of a dying society" - Aristotle 384-322 BC

"Hope is the first step on the road to disappointment" - Lebiniz 1st of July 1646 - 14th of November 1716

Just now, NE0XY said:

I'm for sure going to get a 3090, but not sure if I want to get FE or ASUS card. I'm liquidcooling it either way, so don't care about the cards cooler etc. 

You'd probably want FE. AIB cards are not coming until at least October. And FE cards are gonna be super hard to get because of low availability.

Just now, RejZoR said:

Well, the fact they are hitting 100% performance uplift in several games and not just 1 example is an outstanding result, even if they were hand picked. I mean, even in worse case scenario you're still seeing at least 50% uplift. When was the last time we got that kind of jump between two generations. I can count that on a hand of a very clumsy carpenter...

Maxwell to Pascal.

But admittedly yes, Nvidia has abused their market position to offer minimal performance upgrades year of year for many generations.

Kepler to Maxwell at launch was a mediocre jump. Over time Kepler got screwed and so Maxwell became a lot better of an investment.

Just now, Athan Immortal said:

It's amazing how well they've skewed our vision of what graphics cards should be worth that we're all jumping about at a $700 price tag.

Oh trust me, I and most others have zero intention of ever buying a $700 card.

Sometimes we forget on these forums but 90% of people who buy GPUs end up buying a $200 ish GPU. Companies can keep renaming their cards every few generations or jacking up the price but most people will still buy cheap graphics cards.

Just now, Athan Immortal said:

Don't get me wrong, I'm not taking a shot at you, I'm also on a 1080ti that I bought in late 2017 for £654 (~€740), and physically felt a sense of relief when he said $699 for the 3080. The 2080 and the whole turing line were such a disappointment in terms of price and the low performance gains. My 1080ti became a unicorn and I thought I might have to wait 3 generations to get a card that was in that same price bracket but with an upgrade.

Now I find myself even considering the 3070 since it would be somewhere a bit above the 1080ti in performance but add the other abilities.

I would argue you should still wait or buy a 3080. A 3070 isn't enough of an upgrade from essentially 2080 performance.

I do think that these cards are still at least somewhat overpriced even despite the value they are offering.

I think I'll wait and see if there's a £1000 3080ti.

The 3090 seems to be their 'titan' level product by the looks and price of it, so I'm expecting a more reasonable high performer not too far down the line. Also with RDNA cards not too far off, it seems smart to see what those are like as well.

There seems to be a huge elephant in the room in my eyes though, its using HDMI 2.1, DisplayPort 1.4a.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but that HDMI standard caps out at 120hz and the displayport is the same without DSC.

So even with this card, you wont be getting 4k 120hz+ for your games.

My plan was to get a next gen card with a decent 4k DP2.0 screen so I could get 4k at minimum of 120hz, not as the cap.

12 minutes ago, NE0XY said:

Preferably I would want to get a Poseidon to replace my current one, but I guess that product line is dead

on EVGA website they have already announced the cards coming out and you have 3x 3090 with a water cooler already installed.

https://www.evga.com/articles/01434/evga-geforce-rtx-30-series/

2 minutes ago, SADS said:

I think I'll wait and see if there's a £1000 3080ti.

Nvidia straight up said they won't be doing Ti anymore.

If you're talking about a 3080 20GB, that's still rumored to come out much later in response to AMD Big Navi.

2 minutes ago, SADS said:

The 3090 seems to be their 'titan' level product by the looks and price of it, so I'm expecting a more reasonable high performer not too far down the line. Also with RDNA cards not too far off, it seems smart to see what those are like as well.

There seems to be a huge elephant in the room in my eyes though, its using HDMI 2.1, DisplayPort 1.4a.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but that HDMI standard caps out at 120hz and the displayport is the same without DSC.

So even with this card, you wont be getting 4k 120hz+ for your games.

My plan was to get a next gen card with a decent 4k DP2.0 screen so I could get 4k at minimum of 120hz, not as the cap.

4K 120Hz and 4K 144Hz is still doable but yeah you won't be doing above that. I don't think that matters a whole lot because these cards aren't powerful enough to do above 4K144 anyways.

13 minutes ago, AluminiumTech said:

You'd probably want FE. AIB cards are not coming until at least October. And FE cards are gonna be super hard to get because of low availability.

Thanks, I'm not really in a hurry, if AIB would have som benefit I don't mind waiting. But that's always the thing when it comes to PC partc, there's almost always something new coming around the corner. For instance I would prefer to get an ASUS poseidon (yes I know it's not the best when compared to a "real" waterblock") but even though I'm not in a hurry, I don't feel like waiting for months on something that might never appear. 

9 minutes ago, Elvara said:

on EVGA website they have already announced the cards coming out and you have 3x 3090 with a water cooler already installed.

https://www.evga.com/articles/01434/evga-geforce-rtx-30-series/

Thanks, 

You mean the HydroCopper right? I had a 980 with HC block a couple of years ago.  

39 minutes ago, AluminiumTech said:

Nvidia straight up said they won't be doing Ti anymore.

If you're talking about a 3080 20GB, that's still rumored to come out much later in response to AMD Big Navi.

4K 120Hz and 4K 144Hz is still doable but yeah you won't be doing above that. I don't think that matters a whole lot because these cards aren't powerful enough to do above 4K144 anyways.

Ah I didn't watch the show. But because there's no Ti, doesn't mean to say there wont be a super or something. There's a big gap between the 80 and the 90 in terms of price, memory etc. They're sure to fill it.

I guess actual reviews and performance figures will be interesting to see and how far off decent 4k numbers we will be.

17 hours ago, Gimli said:

Getting more for less is a good thing, always. You're delusional if you're making yourself feel bad about it. If you were happy with your purchase yesterday there's absolutely no logical reason not to still be happy about it.

well there is logical reason. If they had waited a few more days they wouldn't have made a really really bad decision lol. They aren't unhappy of their card, but of how much money they could have saved if they waited/

But theres no point getting upset.

1 hour ago, RejZoR said:

Digital Foundry already has the cards and while they couldn't speak in framerate, they compared their RTX 3080 results to RTX 2080Ti in percentage and gains were mostly in 80-90% performance uplift

Digital foundry compared the 3080 to the 2080 non-super, not the 2080ti.

Although 80% faster than the 2080 is still good 

1 hour ago, AluminiumTech said:

Rumors on Big Navi is beating 3080 by quite a bit in best case scenario. Beating 3090 is likely off the table.

Yeah... Ill believe it when i see it. I highly doubt they will beat a 3080. Maybe with their highest most expensive card. But even then nvidia has a beter version available of the 3080. Plus most of the amd cards have had bios issues. So let's wait and see if they will have those issues again too. I personally am happy with my 2070 super. And may get a 3070 16gb when they release that. Or wait till 4000. I'll see. What I do know is yes they showed titles nvidia told them to run. Buut.. they arent known for lying to the consumer. They like to go into detail. And wouldnt screw us over. 🤷🏻‍♂️

PC: 
MSI B450 gaming pro carbon ac              (motherboard)      |    (Gpu)             ASRock Radeon RX 6950 XT Phantom Gaming D 16G

ryzen 7 5800X3D                                          (cpu)                |    (Monitor)        2560x1440 144hz (lg 32gk650f)
Arctic Liquid Freezer II 240 A-RGB           (cpu cooler)         |     (Psu)             seasonic focus plus gold 850w
Cooler Master MasterBox MB511 RGB    (PCcase)              |    (Memory)       Kingston Fury Beast 32GB (16x2) DDR4 @ 3.600MHz

Corsair K95 RGB Platinum                       (keyboard)            |    (mouse)         Razer Viper Ultimate

Just now, hollyh88 said:

Yeah... Ill believe it when i see it. I highly doubt they will beat a 3080. Maybe with their highest most expensive card. But even then nvidia has a beter version available of the 3080.

Then why is Nvidia scared out of their mind :D.

They're super afraid of Big Navi.

Just now, hollyh88 said:

Plus most of the amd cards have had bios issues.

I've owned 3 AMD cards and I've never had bios issues.

4 minutes ago, AluminiumTech said:

I doubt they're afraid, but certainly they probably expect AMD to finally be competitive in the next round. A think a big part of the improvement we see on nvidias side is enabled from the process update, something they simply were unable to do with Turing. AMD already took the process update with navi, so what we get this time will have to be more from architecture updates.

Main system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, Corsair Vengeance Pro 3200 3x 16GB 2R, RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

3 minutes ago, AluminiumTech said:

I've owned 3 AMD cards and I've never had bios issues.

im going to be straight up honest with you. Nvidia isnt afraid of Big Navi because they have nothing to be afraid of. Radeon Hasnt produced a High end GPU to compete in 6 years+ that was comparable to current GPUS. Vega 56/64 was a failure because they were only able to match performance of year old cards for the same price, with a hotter and louder card. Their 5700XT as good as it is, still only matches the 1080ti at best in some games, winning some loosing some etc. I expect their Flagship card to probably be about 20-30% faster then a 2080ti, and they damn well price it around 500-600$ because otherwise it wont work. They more then likely cannot beat the 3080 performance wise, and since thats 700$ its going to be a battle of price to performance yet again instead of just pure performance.

2 minutes ago, Shimejii said:

im going to be straight up honest with you. Nvidia isnt afraid of Big Navi because they have nothing to be afraid of. Radeon Hasnt produced a High end GPU to compete in 6 years+ that was comparable to current GPUS.

Radeon VII competed pretty decently against a 2080 and I'd argue that was a superior card to a 2080 because of the 16GB HBM2.