What happens to returned products?

Jet_ski

What happens when you return a product to a retailer like Microcenter? Do they just repackage it and sell it as new to the next person that comes in?

I got a couple of monitors form Microcenter and one of them had a couple of finger prints on them. As soon as I plugged it in, I noticed a bunch of dead pixels. So now I’m thinking someone else returned it for the same reason and they tried to dump it on me.

I think if it’s unopened they resell it. If it’s open box and working they sell it as open box. They probably refurbish what they can and either trash or liquidate the broken stuff.

I am far from an expert in this so please correct me if I’m wrong.

Quote or tag me so I can see your response

PSU Tier List

Motherboard Tier List

Graphics Card Cooling Tier List

CPU Cooler Tier List

SSD Tier List

PARROT GANG

Mentioned in 7/10/20 WAN Show

Mentioned in 7/15/20 Techlinked

Mentioned in 7/17/20 Techlinked

Mentioned in 7/31/20 WAN Show

Mentioned in 7/31/20 Techlinked

Mentioned in 8/3/20 Techlinked

Mentioned twice in 8/5/20 Techlinked

Mentioned twice in 8/7/20 Techlinked

Mentioned in 8/12/20 Techlinked

Mentioned in 8/19/20 Techlinked

For Microcenter tha'ts where their "Open Box" deals come from. If there isn't anything wrong with it then it's discounted and sold. If it's broken or DOA they RMA it and get a new one from the factory to replenish their stock.

32 minutes ago, zeusthemoose said:

I think if it’s unopened they resell it. If it’s open box and working they sell it as open box. They probably refurbish what they can and either trash or liquidate the broken stuff.

31 minutes ago, imreloadin said:

For Microcenter tha'ts where their "Open Box" deals come from. If there isn't anything wrong with it then it's discounted and sold. If it's broken or DOA they RMA it and get a new one from the factory to replenish their stock.

It depends on the product. If the vendor takes returns, the item is getting sent back to them for credit whether it works or not.

Most open items go back out to the vendor, some get trashed/destroyed because that's the deal with the vendor and a handful of SKUs are able to be sold as open-box.

MacBook Pro 16 i9-9980HK - Radeon Pro 5500m 8GB - 32GB DDR4 - 2TB NVME

iPhone 12 Mini / Sony WH-1000XM4 / Bose Companion 20

1 hour ago, Jet_ski said:

What happens when you return a product to a retailer like Microcenter? Do they just repackage it and sell it as new to the next person that comes in?

I got a couple of monitors form Microcenter and one of them had a couple of finger prints on them. As soon as I plugged it in, I noticed a bunch of dead pixels. So now I’m thinking someone else returned it for the same reason and they tried to dump it on me.

in some cases, returned items will be sent to the manufacturer and restocked as new. 

On 5/30/2020 at 7:06 AM, danomicar said:

in some cases, returned items will be sent to the manufacturer and restocked as new. 

If they are sold as new, that would be fraud. Even if sent to manufacturer, that should be disclosed. Any product that has been used after it first left factory isn't by definition new.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

28 minutes ago, LogicalDrm said:

If they are sold as new, that would be fraud.

Unfortunately that doesn’t prevent some retailers from selling used hardware ( sometimes even with missing accessories) as new or selling oem parts as retail( because they can get them cheap in huge masses). (is the case with  my HDD but when I bought it I didn’t knew of that practice and because in the EU manufacturers have to give a 2 year warranty I don’t care)

Hi

Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler

hi

1 minute ago, Drama Lama said:

Unfortunately that doesn’t prevent some retailers from selling used hardware ( sometimes even with missing accessories) as new or selling oem parts as retail 

Then your country's consumer protection is failing. Thats something which will be rooted out here really fast if they get caught. Losing business license for years at minimum.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

4 hours ago, LogicalDrm said:

Then your country's consumer protection is failing. Thats something which will be rooted out here really fast if they get caught. Losing business license for years at minimum.

Yea that‘s of course a problem even with very large hardware shops . If the retail variant gets 2 years of warranty I would not care because of the required 2 year mandatory warranty in the EU . But if the retail variant gets 5 years of warranty that’s really bad .

Hi

Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler

hi

On 5/30/2020 at 4:59 AM, Jet_ski said:

What happens when you return a product to a retailer like Microcenter

Sometimes they just sell returned products that don’t look fine at first glance to specialized companies or ( but that is more  often the case with clothing) they simply shredd everything( but not expensive electronics (

Hi

Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler

hi

5 hours ago, LogicalDrm said:

If they are sold as new, that would be fraud. Even if sent to manufacturer, that should be disclosed. Any product that has been used after it first left factory isn't by definition new.

Sure it's fraud, but it's not exactly like the police are overseeing exactly what happens when the original manufacturer receives the item back. I feel like we've all picked up a "new" item off the shelf before only to find clear evidence that at least some of the packaging has already been touched or opened. 

Depends what you say when you return it. If it's in the box, you say it's fine you just don't need it, and there's a huge line, then the clerk might simply return it to the shelf as new. If you've destroyed the box then it gets either scrapped, sold as open box, or returned to the manufacturer depending on the agreement. It also depends what you say when returning it, and I'm sure you can figure out what different responses go with which action listed previously. 

I don't know why my reply is in italics. I'm on mobile and it won't deselect it. 

4 hours ago, danomicar said:

Sure it's fraud, but it's not exactly like the police are overseeing exactly what happens when the original manufacturer receives the item back. I feel like we've all picked up a "new" item off the shelf before only to find clear evidence that at least some of the packaging has already been touched or opened. 

Likely a fault of the customer service desk, not the manufacturer. 

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

If not faulty or defected, they'll most likely get repacked as close to unopened as possible, and of course sold as new.

It's naive to think all returns becomes B-stock.

In countries where everyone can freely return stuff. "I'd just return it." seems a very natural thing to say, right? Even LTT ordered computers, did a review and returned the gears. Think of the sheer amount of stuff get returned but do you see tons of B-stock and open-box deals around? 

This easy return rule is a double edge sword. Very convenient to consumer but the down side is your "brand new" stuff is probably slightly used, unless it's a immensely popular item or a pre-order.

On 5/29/2020 at 7:59 PM, Jet_ski said:

It depends on the condition it comes back in:

1) It can not be sold as new, usually the customer takes a restocking fee against their refund.

2) It can be sold as "open box" if it comes back in like-new condition, with packaging and manuals

3) It can be sold as "display model", even if the packaging has been discarded.

4) It can be sold as "refurbished" which is usually the same as open-box, except that it's been cleaned.

In most situations, "open box", "display model" and "refurbished" are the same thing, just the reason is different. Sometimes you will see something on sale, but if you look closer you will see "open box" or "refurbished" on the price sticker and it's non-refundable, because it's been returned once before.

There's also a classification of "refurbished" which is items returned under warranty and repaired, these however are usually items that are easily fixed or have known issues that the manufacturer can repair with like a firmware update or jumper-wires across pins, etc. In the case of items with batteries, usually that's all that's replaced is the battery.

Any time something is returned at retail, the store will just put it back on the shelf if the packaging can be re-sealed. So that's something to look for. Items that have never been opened will still have the tape/tamper-tape intact on the box, or will be wrapped in a plastic overwrap.

They get dissembled as punishment for not satisfying the customer.

They are probably looked over for damage and defects, if they check out then they sell the items as factory referbished.

In my situation, the monitor had all the films and packaging. Even the display sticker they put in one corner was intact. However I immediately noticed finger prints on the base which I hadn’t touched. Clearly someone had opened it with minimal unwrapping, checked for dead pixels and returned. You really can’t miss the dead pixels, smack in the center, as you turn on the display there are green pixels on a black background next to the Asus logo. Also, on the first few tries it wasn’t recognized by the computer which made it extra special.

I am gonna be out of $80 for car rental on this purchase and the return. I will have a word with the store manager; this shouldn’t happen to others.

I guess if you’re returning something that’s defective, you shouldn’t leave the packaging so intact that the retailer can re-list it as new. I definitely ripped the stickers so the next person can immediately know something’s off.

On 5/30/2020 at 5:49 AM, Vitamanic said:

Most open items go back out to the vendor, some get trashed/destroyed because that's the deal with the vendor and a handful of SKUs are able to be sold as open-box.

I was always wondering if this is a case for things like notebooks for 4K USD.

Even if you can produce that hardware for 200USD as a manufacturer, it is still expected to give you 3800USD of income. I think that if that hardware could be refurbished under 5 hours then its worth to make it.

1 hour ago, Kisai said:

Sometimes you will see something on sale, but if you look closer you will see "open box" or "refurbished" on the price sticker and it's non-refundable, because it's been returned once before.

I don't really think that is a truth. I live in Poland (central Europe) and here I bought a notebook that was broken (also it has some private files from previous owner, GDPR were not a thing back then, but they could do a f***ing full disk format instead of quick one). I returned the laptop back to the shop, and they didn't say a thing.

I just want to say that if you tell about such things its worth to note where you live - different places have different consumer rights

On 5/29/2020 at 10:59 PM, Jet_ski said:

Which Microcenter? When did you get it? Post the receipt, I'd like to see the tracking on it.

35 minutes ago, willies leg said:

Which Microcenter? When did you get it? Post the receipt, I'd like to see the tracking on it.

Brooklyn, NY. It was curbside pickup. I’m not comfortable sharing the receipt.

13 hours ago, Jet_ski said:

Brooklyn, NY. It was curbside pickup. I’m not comfortable sharing the receipt.

Well then the only thing I can recommend is to bring it back. They don't sell used stuff as new.

That's how I got my current case - Corsair Obsidian 1000D. It was returned because someone's wife said no to a such an expensive case)))

I got it for $337 + tax, instead of $499 + tax)))

i9 9900K/GSkill Trident RGB 4x8GB 3000Mhz/Asus Maximus X Hero/EVGA RTX2080TI XC ULTRA/Samsung 950pro+970pro nVME M.2 512gb/2x2tb ADATA ssd/3tb HDD/Corsair Obsidian 1000D/ EVGA SUPERNOVA T2 1600W/10xCorsair LL120/Alienware 34" 2k 120hz/LG 27" 4k 60hz/HyperX Alloy Elite RGB/Hyper X Pulsefire Surge RGB/SteelSeries Arctis Pro Wireless/Logitech c920.

23 hours ago, Kisai said:

Any time something is returned at retail, the store will just put it back on the shelf if the packaging can be re-sealed. So that's something to look for. Items that have never been opened will still have the tape/tamper-tape intact on the box, or will be wrapped in a plastic overwrap.

That's not true at all.

Many opened items are sent back to vendors for credit, many are destroyed as per vendor agreements, others are transferred to the store's warehouse to be refurbished or to be sold to third parties and a portion of them (vendor agreement permitting) are repackaged and sold as such.

MacBook Pro 16 i9-9980HK - Radeon Pro 5500m 8GB - 32GB DDR4 - 2TB NVME

iPhone 12 Mini / Sony WH-1000XM4 / Bose Companion 20

I believe some items could be sent back to the manufacturer for reconditioning to be sold as refurbished stock. Any other Canadians still remember XS Cargo? They had a ton of refurbished inventory. 

Intel® Core™ i7-12700 | GIGABYTE B660 AORUS MASTER DDR4 | Gigabyte Radeon™ RX 6650 XT Gaming OC | 32GB Corsair Vengeance® RGB Pro SL DDR4 | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB | WD Green 1.5TB | Windows 11 Pro | NZXT H510 Flow White
Sony MDR-V250 | GNT-500 | Logitech G610 Orion Brown | Logitech G402 | Samsung C27JG5 | ASUS ProArt PA238QR
iPhone 12 Mini (iOS 17.2.1) | iPhone XR (iOS 17.2.1) | iPad Mini (iOS 9.3.5) | KZ AZ09 Pro x KZ ZSN Pro X | Sennheiser HD450bt
Intel® Core™ i7-1265U | Kioxia KBG50ZNV512G | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Enterprise | HP EliteBook 650 G9
Intel® Core™ i5-8520U | WD Blue M.2 250GB | 1TB Seagate FireCuda | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Home | ASUS Vivobook 15 
Intel® Core™ i7-3520M | GT 630M | 16 GB Corsair Vengeance® DDR3 |
Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | macOS Catalina | Lenovo IdeaPad P580