LTT Folding Team's Emergency Response to Covid-19

Go to solution Solved by GOTSpectrum,

This event has ended and I recommend you guys head over to the Folding Community Board for any general folding conversation. 

52 minutes ago, cloudpoint said:

I joined Folding@home on March 14 2020.  I asked for a Passkey during the installation process.  I received the Passkey email about four hours later.  I added the Passkey to my logon using the client tool.  All seems operationally fine.

However, I keep receiving the same Passkey email from a noreply address, specifying the same Passkey value, in my Inbox every few hours.  I’ve received that same email six times so far.  The interval is not regular, typically two hours apart but up to ten quiet hours has passed.  Everything is identical about all the emails other than their arrival time.

I hope I will stop receiving them eventually.  Is there something I can do on my end to make them stop coming?

You probably requested it more than a few times. The emails will stop eventually, depending on how many times you requested it.

14 minutes ago, Kilrah said:

I think they must be prioritizing faster hardware. I've got 2 machines on right now, one with a faster CPU and a weaker GPU, and one with a slower CPU (slower than the first by 2x) but a better GPU than the 1st by 2x as well... My fast GPU and fast CPU got a WU straight away, but the other 2 are waiting. 

Not true. No one said that they are prioritizing faster hardware. What you are experiencing is pure luck in getting WUs straight away on faster hardware.

Favebook's F@H Stats

Favebook's BOINC Stats

CPU i7-8700k (5.0GHz)  Motherboard Aorus Z370 Gaming 7  RAM Vengeance® RGB Pro 16GB DDR4 3200MHz  GPU  Aorus 1080 Ti

Case Carbide Series SPEC-OMEGA  Storage  Samsung Evo 970 1TB & WD Red Pro 10TB

PSU Corsair HX850i  Cooling Custom EKWB loop

Display Acer Predator x34 120Hz

Well maybe they don't, but it would make perfect sense for them to do that. If you have an overabundance of available hardware for the WUs you can spit out it would make sense to run them on the fastest and most efficient hardware.

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

Sorry if this has already been asked. 

I am up and running, but want to go out and leave my pc on. Will this still run if I lock it? 

1 minute ago, Kilrah said:

Well maybe they don't, but it would make perfect sense for them to do that. If you have an overabundance of available hardware for the WUs you can spit out it would make sense to run them on the fastest and most efficient hardware.

That is not something they would ever do.

Favebook's F@H Stats

Favebook's BOINC Stats

CPU i7-8700k (5.0GHz)  Motherboard Aorus Z370 Gaming 7  RAM Vengeance® RGB Pro 16GB DDR4 3200MHz  GPU  Aorus 1080 Ti

Why not? It would be the right thing to do for several reasons. The goal is to have results as fast as possible, faster hardware gives results faster. Also in terms of being environmentally friendly, if you can use half the energy for the same job you should. 

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

10 minutes ago, Kilrah said:

It makes no difference at the scale of F@H. It doesn't matter what a job gets run on as long as it gets run and returned, only time it's pulled is when the job is invalidated for not being returned in time.

Other than that in all other circumstances there is an overabundance of jobs in the queue making it unnecessary to even consider putting hardware prioritization in, and if done would lead to people not folding at all and quitting the program.

Each folder is a tiny grain in the sand on the beach of folding.

My work VPN just blocks both F@H and BOINC traffic, what a bummer 😥

MOTHERBOARD: ASRock H97 Pro4 CPU: Intel Core i5-4460 @3.30 Ghz Intel Xeon E3-1271v3 @4.00 Ghz RAM: 32Gb (4x8Gb) Kingstone HyperX Fury DDR3@1600 Mhz (9-9-9-27)

GPU: MSI 390 8Gb Gaming Edition PSU: XFX TS 650w Bronze Enermax Revolution D.F. 650w 80+ Gold MOUSE: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum KEYBOARD: Monokey Standard Suave Blue

STORAGE: SSD Samsung EVO 850 250Gb // HDD WD Green 1Tb // HDD WD Blue 4Tb // HDD WD Blue 160Gb CASE: Fractal Design Define R5 Windowed OS: Windows 11 Pro x64 Bit

MONITORS: Samsung CFG7 C24FG7xFQ @144hz // Samsung SyncMaster TA350 LT23A350 @60hz Samsung Odyssey G7 COOLER: Noctua NH-D15

11 minutes ago, Favebook said:

You probably requested it more than a few times. The emails will stop eventually, depending on how many times you requested it.

I don’t think that’s possible. Yes, I did ask for the email to be sent a second time when I did not receive a quick reply.  But the web page replied that I cannot make the same request a second time within four hours and it refused my request.  I did not request again after that since I had received the email.  But I suppose the repeat emails will eventually stop.

I think I figured a workaround about the  failed to get assignment issue .

While my 970 gets wus the 1070ti stops receiving them as soon as it's done .

Cycling through pause and fold buttons , make it work for the time being.

8 minutes ago, leadeater said:

It makes no difference at the scale of F@H. It doesn't matter what a job gets run on as long as it gets run and returned, only time it's pulled is when the job is invalidated for not being returned in time.

Other than that in all other circumstances there is an overabundance of jobs in the queue making it unnecessary to even consider putting hardware prioritization in, and if done would lead to people not folding at all and quitting the program.

Each folder is a tiny grain in the sand on the beach of folding.

Exactly what he said☝️.

6 minutes ago, cloudpoint said:

I don’t think that’s possible. Yes, I did ask for the email to be sent a second time when I did not receive a quick reply.  But the web page replied that I cannot make the same request a second time within four hours and it refused my request.  I did not request again after that since I had received the email.  But I suppose the repeat emails will eventually stop.

Then do not worry about it, nothing you can do. If they do not stop in next 48h then you might contact them over https://foldingforum.org/ by searching for a thread with your problem or opening a new one (if there is none).

Favebook's F@H Stats

Favebook's BOINC Stats

Is there any difference between CPU and GPU WUs so that CPU does simulations that GPU can not, or is it just a waste of energy to fold on a CPU? (I don't care about points)

Hello everyone,

Noob here.

I have a spare laptop i7 4710HQ with a Nvidia 860M and a intel 4600, started folding with CPU and Nvidia, is there any way to add the intel to the ix to help out a bit more?

Also will be using another machine with Ryzen 5 3600 and Nvidia 2080 Super, can I use the same user and pass key on both machines at the same time?

Sorry for the noob questions.

8 minutes ago, Nizkus said:

Is there any difference between CPU and GPU WUs so that CPU does simulations that GPU can not, or is it just a waste of energy to fold on a CPU? (I don't care about points)

You won't get WUs on your CPU that would take an extremely long time.  GPUs are several magnitudes faster at some WUs so your CPU will never get those.  IIRC from the last time I wanted to know as well.

7 minutes ago, Daniel81 said:

Also will be using another machine with Ryzen 5 3600 and Nvidia 2080 Super, can I use the same user and pass key on both machines at the same time?

Sorry for the noob questions.

Yes you can.  Not sure about the Intel one tho.  Might not want to subject your laptop to long hours of high heat tho.

QUOTE ME IN A REPLY SO I CAN SEE THE NOTIFICATION!

When there is no danger of failure there is no pleasure in success.

Just now, Samfisher said:

You won't get WUs on your CPU that would take an extremely long time.  GPUs are several magnitudes faster at some WUs so your CPU will never get those.  IIRC from the last time I wanted to know as well.

Yes you can.  Not sure about the Intel one tho.  Might not want to subject your laptop to long hours of high heat tho.

Tnx, yeah laptop will be on and off to cool down, will also put it on a cold room where heating is off, may it helps to keep it a bit cooler...

Spoiler

Projects 14328,14329

Cause: covid

CORONAVIRUS PROJECT

Coronavirus SARS-CoV-2 (COVID-19 causing virus) protease - potential drug target

These projects are part of Folding@home’s efforts to assist researchers around the world taking up the global fight against COVID-19.  At the time of release, this is the latest news update:  https://foldingathome.org/2020/03/10/covid19-update/

These projects are CPU projects to simulate the main protease of the COVID-19, a possible drug target.  These supplement high-priority GPU projects of the main protease as well as the COVID-19 receptor binding domains.    We hope to have preliminary drug screening simulations on CPUs released in the next week.

Please stay tuned to https://foldingathome.org/news/ for more current updates.

As per https://apps.foldingathome.org/project?p=14328 description, they seem to differ. CPU WUs are supplementing GPU WUs.

Favebook's F@H Stats

Favebook's BOINC Stats

I feel like the person folding over 140 million PPD is having less trouble with WU's tbh, just guessing though

image.thumb.png.6b45dab492d30f80481d1c547caa744f.png

2 minutes ago, NathansNonsense said:

I feel like the person folding over 140 million PPD is having less trouble with WU's tbh, just guessing though

That's a sum of everyone who hasn't entered a folding username in to the F@H client.

Finally got a GPU WU, still no Covid-19. Probably they're handing them to most capable hardware. I'm ok with that.

MOTHERBOARD: ASRock H97 Pro4 CPU: Intel Core i5-4460 @3.30 Ghz Intel Xeon E3-1271v3 @4.00 Ghz RAM: 32Gb (4x8Gb) Kingstone HyperX Fury DDR3@1600 Mhz (9-9-9-27)

GPU: MSI 390 8Gb Gaming Edition PSU: XFX TS 650w Bronze Enermax Revolution D.F. 650w 80+ Gold MOUSE: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum KEYBOARD: Monokey Standard Suave Blue

STORAGE: SSD Samsung EVO 850 250Gb // HDD WD Green 1Tb // HDD WD Blue 4Tb // HDD WD Blue 160Gb CASE: Fractal Design Define R5 Windowed OS: Windows 11 Pro x64 Bit

MONITORS: Samsung CFG7 C24FG7xFQ @144hz // Samsung SyncMaster TA350 LT23A350 @60hz Samsung Odyssey G7 COOLER: Noctua NH-D15

that did actually pop into my head right before i was about to go to sleep 1 minute ago, past me is always dumber than 10 minutes later me

22 minutes ago, Parideboy said:

Finally got a GPU WU, still no Covid-19. Probably they're handing them to most capable hardware. I'm ok with that.

well i got corona WUs on GPU aswell as CPU. so i gues i feel complimented :D. but on my work notebook i cant even get any WU :D. loag say theres no WUs for the configuration

"You know it'll clock down as soon as it hits 40°C, right?" - "Yeah ... but it doesnt hit 40°C ... ever  😄"

GPU: MSI GTX1080 Ti Aero @ 2 GHz (watercooled) CPU: Ryzen 5600X (watercooled) RAM: 32GB 3600Mhz Corsair LPX MB: Gigabyte B550i PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Hyte Revolt 3

14 minutes ago, cluelessgenius said:

no WUs for the configuration

same appears for my 1080ti cards periodically, so.. unluki

1 minute ago, sanya567xxx said:

same appears for my 1080ti cards periodically, so.. unluki

well my work notebook doesnt have a discrete gpu sooo i guess its at the bottom of the list but my oc 1080 ti at home gets packages just fine

"You know it'll clock down as soon as it hits 40°C, right?" - "Yeah ... but it doesnt hit 40°C ... ever  😄"

GPU: MSI GTX1080 Ti Aero @ 2 GHz (watercooled) CPU: Ryzen 5600X (watercooled) RAM: 32GB 3600Mhz Corsair LPX MB: Gigabyte B550i PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Hyte Revolt 3

Daily meme to spread awareness and keep morale high!

3ss8qx.jpg

ESL Profile: https://play.eslgaming.com/player/2432327/

F@H Profile: https://folding.extremeoverclocking.com/user_summary.php?s=&u=847206

Old System:                                                                 Current System :

i7-3770k + Cooler Master Hyper 212                           i9 9900k + Noctua NH-D15

Gigabyte Z77M-D3H                                                    Gigabyte Aorus Z390 Master

Evga Geforce GTX 970 SC                                          GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER GAMING OC (F@H OC +70core/+580 mem)

HyperX FURY Red 16GB  DDR3 1600                        Corsair Vengeance  LPX 2x16GB DDR4 3200

bequiet PURE POWER 600W 80+ bronze                  Corsair RM 650x 80+ gold

Samsung 850 Evo 120 GB + 1TB HDD                       Samsung 970 Evo Plus 500GB 

Thermaltake Level 20 MT ARGB 

28 minutes ago, cluelessgenius said:

well i got corona WUs on GPU aswell as CPU. so i gues i feel complimented :D. but on my work notebook i cant even get any WU :D. loag say theres no WUs for the configuration

I mean, they're struggling even to throw something at us, I'm feeling lucky just for getting something lol

3 minutes ago, Kenpachi1985 said:

Daily meme to spread awareness and keep morale high!

3ss8qx.jpg

I laughed so hard at this one 😂