LTT Folding Team's Emergency Response to Covid-19

Go to solution Solved by GOTSpectrum,

This event has ended and I recommend you guys head over to the Folding Community Board for any general folding conversation. 

1 hour ago, Den-Fi said:

tenor.gif?itemid=11545295

What. Is. This. *brain explodes*

31 minutes ago, Zberg said:

What I dont get...

WU that took like an hour...estimated points 100k+...estimated PPD 3Mil

WU finishes and...9000 points...uhhhh that math does not add up.  Even if I kept getting jobs that took a 2080ti an hour to complete (which I would imagine is not small), all day, that would extrapolate to nowhere near 3Mil...more like 260,000 PPD

What do these estimates have to do with reality?  Why are they so many decimal places off?

I do realize these numbers mean nothing at the end of the day, but why so different from predicted?

If you are new to F@H, you need to wait for your Passkey, and after that you will need to complete 10 WUs and turn them in before you can actually start seeing the true potential of your equipment!

Also I've just uploaded 2 WUs to 155.247.164.214 btw

My Folding Stats - Join the fight against COVID-19 with FOLDING! - If someone has helped you out on the forum don't forget to give them a reaction to say thank you!

The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing. - Socrates

Please put as much effort into your question as you expect me to put into answering it. 

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
    Gigabyte Aorus GA-AX370-GAMING 5
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
    Cooler Master - MasterCase H500P
  • Storage
    Western Digital Black 250GB, Seagate BarraCuda 1TB x2
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
    Lenovo L29w-30 29 Inch UltraWide Full HD, BenQ - XL2430(portrait), Dell P2311Hb(portrait)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

Lets give it some time then , I'm guessing there's a que from all that downtime.

I also logged in to my main rig , to see what's going on only to find my wife playing Witcher

😠

1 minute ago, GOTSpectrum said:

image.thumb.png.09f41003bb1f946d4f2c51cfeb82e41d.png

up time 1 hour

It's still failing to transfer, might be the traffic.

This is the most recent log:

Spoiler

18:37:58:WU03:FS02:Trying to send results to collection server
18:37:58:WU03:FS02:Uploading 55.24MiB to 155.247.164.214
18:37:58:WU03:FS02:Connecting to 155.247.164.214:8080
18:37:58:ERROR:WU03:FS02:Exception: Transfer failed

3 minutes ago, freezer2k said:

Hi,

Has probably been answered here somewhere, but cant find it.

For folding Covid-19, is CPU-folding important much?

Is it enough to get a powerful GPU for it? And which one would be best?

Depends on your set-up. If you have a 3950x (I wonder how well a TR 3990x can fold) you can throw at folding you are going to pull in multiple orders of magnitude more than what my FX-4350 is capable of pulling. 

In general though, your GPU is going to produce a substantial amount more points than your CPU.

Is it possible to link my other Linux/Windows machines to be controlled through the client on my main PC? Is it particularly difficult? I'm not experienced with networking really

14 minutes ago, Gorgon said:

VPNs and private IPs are the bane of my life.

Best case the two local networks are using different IP Networks. Then it is just a matter of adding static routes on the routers at each end to point the remote network to the IP of the local Rasberry Pi.

Worst case your both using the same network, typically 192.168.1.0/24). What you's have to do is use Network Address Translation (NAT) to translate the remote network's IPs to another local IP on the local Pi.

Just one device isn't too difficult as you could NAT 192.168.1.15 on the remote network to 192.168.1.23 on the local network then static route the local IP to the Pi.

To configure both networks so any device at one side can talk to any device at the other side requires a much more complicated setup.

This likely a good question to post in the Networking form here but a network diagram with IP Addresses will get you more accurate replies.

Thankfully I did set them both up different. So they are not both 192.168.1.x.

I was able to just put my macbook on the r-pi's wifi, and from there it can translate to both sides... Not exactly sure how to leave my macbook on my local LAN and get through the VPN, but for now, this is fine... 

Rig: i7 13700k - - Asus Z790-P Wifi - - RTX 4080 - - 4x16GB 6000MHz - - Samsung 990 Pro 2TB NVMe Boot + Main Programs - - Assorted SATA SSD's for Photo Work - - Corsair RM850x - - Sound BlasterX EA-5 - - Corsair XC8 JTC Edition - - Corsair GPU Full Cover GPU Block - - XT45 X-Flow 420 + UT60 280 rads - - EK XRES RGB PWM - - Fractal Define S2 - - Acer Predator X34 -- Logitech G502 - - Logitech G710+ - - Logitech Z5500 - - LTT Deskpad

Headphones/amp/dac: Schiit Lyr 3 - - Fostex TR-X00 - - Sennheiser HD 6xx

Homelab/ Media Server: Proxmox VE host - - 512 NVMe Samsung 980 RAID Z1 for VM's/Proxmox boot - - Xeon e5 2660 V4- - Supermicro X10SRF-i - - 128 GB ECC 2133 - - 10x4 TB WD Red RAID Z2 - - Corsair 750D - - Corsair RM650i - - Dell H310 6Gbps SAS HBA - - Intel RES2SC240 SAS Expander - - TreuNAS + many other VM’s

iPhone 14 Pro - 2018 MacBook Air

9 minutes ago, LordKitsune said:

Depends on your set-up. If you have a 3950x (I wonder how well a TR 3990x can fold) you can throw at folding you are going to pull in multiple orders of magnitude more than what my FX-4350 is capable of pulling. 

In general though, your GPU is going to produce a substantial amount more points than your CPU.

How much more? Does it even make worth CPU folding from a power-costs perspective if a powerful GPU produces 20x more points?

4 minutes ago, j0hn0b said:

Is it possible to link my other Linux/Windows machines to be controlled through the client on my main PC? Is it particularly difficult? I'm not experienced with networking really

I'd also like to know this, but wasn't able to find documentation on it.

3 minutes ago, Inkertus said:

i had found a post, by Gorgon I think, but I couldn't get it to work and I don't understand it well enough to troubleshoot

8 minutes ago, j0hn0b said:

3 minutes ago, Inkertus said:

Configure > remote access.

Here's a helpful thread.

6 minutes ago, Inkertus said:

I'm not sure about cross OS issues but I have all my Windows machines managed by one computer.   On the remote machine in configure click remote access, enter a password, put 127.0.0.1 192.168.1.0/24 into the allow boxes or whatever matches your setup.  In the left panel of the advanced monitor on the master system click add then enter the IP address of the remote machine and the password you just set.  Should show up as connected in the master control panel.

*edit someone was faster

Just now, lewdicrous said:

Here's a helpful thread.

I'll give it a try again later and see if anyone here can help if i run into problems again

Just now, lewdicrous said:

Here's a helpful thread.

This. Its pretty simple. I am not sure how the Linux clients would work, assuming they are headless box's. But for Windows, works super easily. I am controlling my Windows box's from my macbook....
image.thumb.png.2bb6335874edd97a0322c3cf5c565bd0.png

Rig: i7 13700k - - Asus Z790-P Wifi - - RTX 4080 - - 4x16GB 6000MHz - - Samsung 990 Pro 2TB NVMe Boot + Main Programs - - Assorted SATA SSD's for Photo Work - - Corsair RM850x - - Sound BlasterX EA-5 - - Corsair XC8 JTC Edition - - Corsair GPU Full Cover GPU Block - - XT45 X-Flow 420 + UT60 280 rads - - EK XRES RGB PWM - - Fractal Define S2 - - Acer Predator X34 -- Logitech G502 - - Logitech G710+ - - Logitech Z5500 - - LTT Deskpad

Headphones/amp/dac: Schiit Lyr 3 - - Fostex TR-X00 - - Sennheiser HD 6xx

Homelab/ Media Server: Proxmox VE host - - 512 NVMe Samsung 980 RAID Z1 for VM's/Proxmox boot - - Xeon e5 2660 V4- - Supermicro X10SRF-i - - 128 GB ECC 2133 - - 10x4 TB WD Red RAID Z2 - - Corsair 750D - - Corsair RM650i - - Dell H310 6Gbps SAS HBA - - Intel RES2SC240 SAS Expander - - TreuNAS + many other VM’s

iPhone 14 Pro - 2018 MacBook Air

2 minutes ago, freezer2k said:

How much more? Does it even make worth CPU folding from a power-costs perspective if a powerful GPU produces 20x more points?

My CPU (FX-4350) produces about 2-4k per WU with my GPU (GTX 1650 Super) pulling anywhere from 60k to 100k per WU.

Efficiency definitely lies in the GPU. I've seen CPU WUs that take 2+ days to complete (actual time. It's predicted completion time at the beginning was over 7 days). That WU also only netted me 2k points.

Basically, your GPU is your main producer. If you don't care for every last point you can get and want to take it easier on your Electricity bill, you can remove the CPU. If you are going for maximum points without buying another GPU, then go ahead and use the CPU as well.

I should be on now hopefully...running a RX 5700 overclocked with the windows wide open and fan blowing hot air outside. This tiny room gets toasty!

image.png.f770b999961c039d990a0a42098b90cd.png

image.thumb.png.2a53f3643b42aa6b9376eade1e9516f3.png

Thanks.  I'll have a look at that when I have some free time to poke at it.

1 minute ago, j0hn0b said:

I'll give it a try again later and see if anyone here can help if i run into problems again

It's always good to understand what you're doing before you start changing settings.

Take your time.

This might be helpful too.

1 minute ago, steelo said:

I should be on now hopefully...running a RX 5700 overclocked with the windows wide open and fan blowing hot air outside. This tiny room gets toasty!

image.png.f770b999961c039d990a0a42098b90cd.png

I would recommend setting it to stock speeds. The points gain compared to the potential of corrupting a WU can easily negate the points you're gaining in the short run.

Also, if you send too many corrupted WUs you'll no longer be eligible for QRBs which will completely toast your ability to bring in points (you will only get base credit, which is not a lot...)

4 minutes ago, LordKitsune said:

I would recommend setting it to stock speeds. The points gain compared to the potential of corrupting a WU can easily negate the points you're gaining in the short run.

Also, if you send too many corrupted WUs you'll no longer be eligible for QRBs which will completely toast your ability to bring in points (you will only get base credit, which is not a lot...)

Okay, thanks...it looks like it's only processing 1 WU. Am I doing something wrong here? Should I run the CPU too? Don't mean to hijack this thread!

25 minutes ago, LordKitsune said:

What. Is. This. *brain explodes*

If you are new to F@H, you need to wait for your Passkey, and after that you will need to complete 10 WUs and turn them in before you can actually start seeing the true potential of your equipment!

Appreciate the info!  Thanks guys!

I got the passkey on both systems and they are plugging away.  Just got over 10 recently.  Should jump up soon

I guess no matter how you look at it GPUs are completing work, whether the number is huge or small.  Onward!

El Zoido:  9900k + RTX 4090 / 32 gb 3600mHz RAM / z390 Aorus Master 

The Box:  3900x + RTX 3080 /  32 gb 3000mHz RAM / B550 MSI mortar 

2 minutes ago, steelo said:

Okay, thanks...it looks like it's only processing 1 WU. Am I doing something wrong here? Don't mean to hijack this thread!

It only does 1 WU per slot at a time. There are ways to make it download the next WU sooner, however this can lead to lessened QRB returns because the timer for that starts when the WU finishes downloading.

on cpu wu.. it depends on what you got. so some my 32 core ate easy and then other it took longer.

now onto the 64 core machine.. it just eats thru wu in less then a hour.. but oddly on that rig.. it only get cpu wu no gpu at all.

MSI x399 sli plus  | AMD theardripper 2990wx all core 3ghz lock |Thermaltake flo ring 360 | EVGA 2080, Zotac 2080 |Gskill Ripjaws 128GB 3000 MHz | Corsair RM1200i |150tb | Asus tuff gaming mid tower| 10gb NIC

just signed up with my 2700X my gpu is off getting repaired yet folding works all the same thoe anyone know how to change the settings its refreshing too often and it doesn't change the settings even when i do.