LTT Folding Team's Emergency Response to Covid-19

Go to solution Solved by GOTSpectrum,

This event has ended and I recommend you guys head over to the Folding Community Board for any general folding conversation. 

2 minutes ago, moldy23 said:

just signed up with my 2700X my gpu is off getting repaired yet folding works all the same thoe anyone know how to change the settings its refreshing too often and it doesn't change the settings even when i do.

You're using web browser in chrome it sounds like. Try opening it up in incognito mode or try another browser. 

Or, better yet, open up the advanced control. Will let give you more control over what F@H is doing and what it's using.

I'm thinking, developers from Folding @ Home should get pointers to this forum, because they can improve their interface a lot from some of the user feedback collected here.

For example in my opinion the interface should not say WARNING or ERROR (exactly like that, with full uppercase) then followed by "Failed to get assignment", or "Exception: could not get an assignment" repeatedly everytime it fails to get something from a server, when everything on our clients is really running fine, it's just that the servers don't have anything to send. Those messages are pretty misleading, make the user think something is wrong with the client, or it is no longer connecting or failing, when it's not the case. If there is some way to tell the health of the client is perfect, even though it's not getting any jobs, then the log should report that, not only repeatedly pushing out those unnecessarily alarming uppercase warnings and errors.

2 hours ago, Rune said:

Update on this:

Preliminary approval! Working with IT to get firewalls setup proper to allow connections. If all goes well, it might be chainwide. My store alone should add between 15-40M ppd depending on usage. It may unfortunately have to be under a different team name though. Sadface.

Update: After some number crunching...

29 SKU between 1050 and 2060 super class....

21 SKU between 2070 and dual 2080ti class....

10 hours per day folding gives me a headmath total of roughly 22Mppd.

Should find out soon if we get permission!

I just gotta say Im stoked to see that we have DOUBLED PCMR's active users as well as gaining HARD on Overclock.net for 5th place overall!

Wow guys we are KILLING it!

I wish I could see a ''day in the life'' of some of those scientists using the compute power. They must bet getting tests back INSTANTLY!

is it best to leave cpu for idle and gpu on max if i want to fold while using the pc for general stuff? (not really gaming apart from things like FTL)

Just saw a thing on gamers nexus that claimed something about f@h having the power of 7 super computers atm

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

image.thumb.png.0a46520f1dc52279d052b6edbccf0ad4.png

It took about 3 days on a GTX 1060 and a GTX980m but it's all for the good of research and development 

I am happy to be a part of this 

image.thumb.png.9e0adbf55950fc9d90d84114ea965f5f.png

Alienware Laptop 

image.thumb.png.90fc8b3e57f3b532561e8eab68324fa9.png

Gaming-server Desktop

image.thumb.png.fcf004632c768348bd11a00d3c5f7adb.png

2 minutes ago, rawpoo said:

is it best to leave cpu for idle and gpu on max if i want to fold while using the pc for general stuff? (not really gaming apart from things like FTL)

I'd suggest using 50-75% of the cores depending on how powerful it is/thread count.  The higher the more powerful it is.  You can configure that in the configure, slots, CPU, edit, CPUs 1-# of threads.

LTT Back On Top Baby!

image.thumb.png.b09b06632e90807781cceb35c82ea220.png

My Folding Stats - Join the fight against COVID-19 with FOLDING! - If someone has helped you out on the forum don't forget to give them a reaction to say thank you!

The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing. - Socrates

Please put as much effort into your question as you expect me to put into answering it. 

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
    Gigabyte Aorus GA-AX370-GAMING 5
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
    Cooler Master - MasterCase H500P
  • Storage
    Western Digital Black 250GB, Seagate BarraCuda 1TB x2
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
    Lenovo L29w-30 29 Inch UltraWide Full HD, BenQ - XL2430(portrait), Dell P2311Hb(portrait)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

4 hours ago, GOTSpectrum said:

By automatically we don't mean the forum does it itself, there is LOTS of manual work that goes into it, just it's automatic for you. 

All events require a sign, how else would we know who you are? (seeing as many people don't have matching forum and folding names.)

I most DEFINITELY was an F@H Event Founder! Where's my badge!?!?!?!

GOTS: "You signed up to the forum last week...."

SHUT UP and give me MY BADGE!

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3950x @ 4.15 GHz | 41.5 X 99. MHz | L2: 512K
RAM: 65536 MB DDR4-SDRAM @ 1533MHz (16-17-17) | G.SKILL
MB: Gigabyte X570 Aorus Master | F10
GCard: RTX 2080S @ 2010 MHz | 8GB GDDR6 @ 7545 MHz
    RTX 2070 @ 1890 MHz | 8GB GDDR6 @ 6845 MHz

2 minutes ago, Inkertus said:

I'd suggest using 50-75% of the cores depending on how powerful it is.  The higher the more powerful it is.  You can configure that in the configure, slots, CPU, edit, CPUs 1-# of threads.

it's a ryzen 5 so i set the cpu to 3 then?

2 minutes ago, rawpoo said:

it's a ryzen 5 so i set the cpu to 3 then?

Do you have 4 threads or 6?  If you have 4 threads and aren't doing much, 3 is fine.  If you're doing moderate work loads like multi-tab browsing, 2 is good.  Otherwise 3 of 6 should be good. (I don't recall what tiers have what thread counts)

13 hours ago, Pasi123 said:

T400/T500? They should run Windows 10 just fine if you have enough RAM

T500. I think it's a ram issue.

System Specs: Second-class potato, slightly mouldy

Just now, Inkertus said:

Do you have 4 threads or 6?  If you have 4 threads and aren't doing much, 3 is fine.  If you're doing moderate work loads like multi-tab browsing, 2 is good.  Otherwise 3 of 6 should be good. (I don't recall what tiers have what thread counts)

6 threads, when i was folding yesterday using all of them the cpu temp was around 74 degrees.

1 hour ago, LordKitsune said:

It only does 1 WU per slot at a time. There are ways to make it download the next WU sooner, however this can lead to lessened QRB returns because the timer for that starts when the WU finishes downloading.

I have a Ryzen 5 1600 AF, should I be utilizing at least some its cores as well? I've read a lot of posts from people saying only to use the GPU.

I have to say my day off hasn't given me much of a rest lmfao. 

But it's been fun nonetheless. 

My Folding Stats - Join the fight against COVID-19 with FOLDING! - If someone has helped you out on the forum don't forget to give them a reaction to say thank you!

The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing. - Socrates

Please put as much effort into your question as you expect me to put into answering it. 

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
    Gigabyte Aorus GA-AX370-GAMING 5
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
    Cooler Master - MasterCase H500P
  • Storage
    Western Digital Black 250GB, Seagate BarraCuda 1TB x2
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
    Lenovo L29w-30 29 Inch UltraWide Full HD, BenQ - XL2430(portrait), Dell P2311Hb(portrait)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

Just now, rawpoo said:

6 threads, when i was folding yesterday using all of them the cpu temp was around 74 degrees.

Then 3-4 threads is good unless you want to dedicate the whole PC to it.  The folding has the lowest CPU priority so it will yield to other stuff if you max it out, though the CPU will run hotter maxed out.  I run my 16-thread CPU at 10 threads so it doesn't overheat in my uITX case with the GPU running. Yours at ~74 is good, mine runs toasty at up to ~85.

Just now, Inkertus said:

Then 3-4 threads is good unless you want to dedicate the whole PC to it.  The folding has the lowest CPU priority so it will yield to other stuff if you max it out, though the CPU will run hotter maxed out.  I run my 16-thread CPU at 10 threads so it doesn't overheat in my uITX case with the GPU running. Yours at ~74 is good, mine runs toasty at up to ~85.

cool thanks for the info bud glad i signed up to the forum, very helpful cheers!

5 minutes ago, steelo said:

I have a Ryzen 5 1600 AF, should I be utilizing at least some its cores as well? I've read a lot of posts from people saying only to use the GPU.

That's a workload divvying problem due to F@H server overload.  My 4 rigs are lucky to get anything in an hour or two but they do tend to get one eventually.  Check the pinned posts at the top for more info.

Oh, misunderstood your post a bit.  Yeah I'd recommend using at least 25% of your CPU up to 75% to leave room for the GPU-managing thread to run as it uses a core to do so.  Not sure why people would say only to use the GPU...both do good work.  Maybe because the GPU is generally way better for the tasks?  Either way I'd still recommend using both with a limit on core # use for the CPU, largely for heat and general usability.

1 minute ago, Inkertus said:

That's a workload divvying problem due to F@H server overload.  My 4 rigs are lucky to get anything in an hour or two but they do tend to get one eventually.  Check the pinned posts at the top for more info.

i think it's getting better i just got a job on the gpu a few minutes after opening the client and a cpu job about thirty seconds after enabling 3 cores!

i have a i7 8700k how do i get my CPU to fold too right know its not doing nothing even when i have it set to run while im working and im not doing nothing CPU intensive

13 minutes ago, rawpoo said:

yeah i read that as well, pretty darn cool!