Screen protector defeats Samsung Galaxy S10 fingerprint reader

porina
9 hours ago, veldora said:

So just don't use cheap screen protectors that are mushy?

And how is that going to help you when someone trying to unlock our phone simply puts a cheap protector or similar over the fingerprint reader?

2 hours ago, Nowak said:

Lifting a fingerprint is forensics. 

Laptop: 2019 16" MacBook Pro i7, 512GB, 5300M 4GB, 16GB DDR4 | Phone: iPhone 13 Pro Max 128GB | Wearables: Apple Watch SE | Car: 2007 Ford Taurus SE | CPU: R7 5700X | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 32GB 3200 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 11 | Storage: 1TB Crucial P3 NVME SSD, 1TB PNY CS900, & 4TB WD Blue HDD | PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 600W | Display: LG 27GL83A-B 1440p @ 144Hz, Dell S2719DGF 1440p @144Hz | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G305 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball | Server: 2018 Core i3 Mac mini, 128GB SSD, Intel UHD 630, 16GB DDR4 | Storage: OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad (6TB WD Blue HDD, 12TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB Crucial SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD)

14 minutes ago, SpaceGhostC2C said:

And how is that going to help you when someone trying to unlock our phone simply puts a cheap protector or similar over the fingerprint reader?

That's an irrational fear lol. And even if you get into my phone, everything else is locked or not on the phone. All my devices require 2FA and manual authentication.

You can easily locate these phones nowadays, and clear them too if you lose them there isn't much of an issue here- for me anyway.

Corsair 4000D RGB

Asus B550 Tuf Gaming II

Asus 7700XT Tuf Gaming

AMD 5600x3d

32gb 3200mhz gskil 

Just now, veldora said:

That's an irrational fear lol.

What? It's the whole point of the original article... the fingerprint lock is rendered useless... If anyone ever trying to unlock your phone is "an irrational fear" then locking your phone in the first place is "irrational"... 9_9

Just now, veldora said:

And even if you get into my phone, everything else is locked or not on the phone.

Great, but then you don't need any kind of lock, functional or not. The point of this news is simply that the fingerprint lock is easily defeated. Choosing a screen protector of a given quality on your side changes nothing, as I pointed out.

43 minutes ago, SpaceGhostC2C said:

What? It's the whole point of the original article... the fingerprint lock is rendered useless... If anyone ever trying to unlock your phone is "an irrational fear" then locking your phone in the first place is "irrational"... 9_9

Great, but then you don't need any kind of lock, functional or not. The point of this news is simply that the fingerprint lock is easily defeated. Choosing a screen protector of a given quality on your side changes nothing, as I pointed out.

The original article doesn't mention if the fingerprint was set up before putting on the screen protector, or afterwards and if a fingerprint got stuck under the protector, which may change if the fingerprint reader could even be unlocked by putting a protector over the screen.

Having a fingerprint with 2FA is still a secure lock, better than not locking anything at all IMO, though I prefer the fingerprint reader on the back of the phone, sucks most phones are going to under screen.

44 minutes ago, SpaceGhostC2C said:

Their use of a certain "gel" screen protector written in the article renders the finger print reader useless, don't use crappy screen protectors with these types of scanners- common knowledge.

second- irrational fear I define is someone applying a screen protector on my phone. Not someone trying to unlock my phone. Yes with this article, I'll be disabling my finger print reader - but still as long as you keep track of your assets you don't have much to worry about.

Third- a lock serves two purposes. To deter any possible intruders, and protect against actual invaders. You stating its irrational to lock your phone in the first place to disprove my argument proves you misunderstood me.

Corsair 4000D RGB

Asus B550 Tuf Gaming II

Asus 7700XT Tuf Gaming

AMD 5600x3d

32gb 3200mhz gskil 

3 hours ago, Nowak said:

For those of you who want a demonstration of this, a Twitter user recorded this using a Note 10:

Ouch! That's even worse. Savage. :(

3 hours ago, veldora said:

Their use of a certain "gel" screen protector written in the article renders the finger print reader useless, don't use crappy screen protectors with these types of scanners- common knowledge.

You keep not understanding: you don't need to use anything, someone else can just put whatever "gel" screen protector on top of the reader and unlock it.

second- irrational fear I define is someone applying a screen protector on my phone. Not someone trying to unlock my phone.

The point is that both are the same thing... It's not like they'll carefully apply the protector permanently, as the video posted above shows.

Yes with this article, I'll be disabling my finger print reader - but still as long as you keep track of your assets you don't have much to worry about.

That's the same as saying "as long as you keep track of your assets, you don't need a lock". In any case, that's irrelevant for the "just don't put a cheap screen protector" argument, which makes no sense - it's like saying "just don't pick your own locks".

Third- a lock serves two purposes. To deter any possible intruders, and protect against actual invaders. You stating its irrational to lock your phone in the first place to disprove my argument proves you misunderstood me.

It's hard to understand you when you are worried about people unlocking your phone and not worried about people unlocking your phone at the same time :)

At any rate, though, I'm not interested in discussing you or me, I just wanted to point out the flaw in the original statement, and I think I've made my point clear by now.

13 hours ago, Master Disaster said:

Meanwhile the fp scanner on my Pixel 3 doesn't work with any prints at all, even ones registered.

What a time to be alive!

Hmm... I'm actually surprised this vulnerability hasn't been found sooner. Kind of ironic it took two people who probably weren't the most tech literate to find it too. 

5 hours ago, Ehmc130 said:

Hmm... I'm actually surprised this vulnerability hasn't been found sooner. Kind of ironic it took two people who probably weren't the most tech literate to find it too. 

I think that is part of the problem. If you are familiar with how something works, you're less likely to do something unexpected with it.

Main system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, Corsair Vengeance Pro 3200 3x 16GB 2R, RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

I'm glad google and malware in general have me sufficiently spooked not to use my phone for anything other than the most mundane of applications (calling people and looking up train times,  maybe a bit of youtube).  If anyone really wants to see into my mundane life they are going to have to watch me unlock with the pattern then they can read how I was late to pick up my daughter because I got chatting about generators with my father in law.   Finger print scanners are for people who trust the technology to use banking and cheat on their spouses.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

22 hours ago, TVwazhere said:

I really wanted a glass one, but there's only one of the market that works with the built in finger print reader and it's because it uses either thinner glass or no glass at the spot where the scanner is. Currently I'm running without one at all, because i find any non-glass protector to feel sticky and add friction to swipes compared to glass.

2 words: Whitestone Dome

Thick and strong enough and has no impact on touch sensitivity.  Feels just like the original screen does. 

Whitestone does recommend putting the protector on first, then registering the fingerprint. 

That being said, I'm not a fan of in-screen fingerprint readers either.  I much prefer them on the back. 

I heard about this the other day.  First thing to go through my head is "how on earth did it take this long to notice this issue!?"  Within days of the iphone launching people were breaking face ID but the S10 has been out for months already and no one noticed until now?  Is there really that big of a gap between people trying to find dirt on apple and just not caring at all about what anyone else makes? xD

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

21 hours ago, DrMacintosh said:

Lifting a fingerprint is forensics. 

And something anyone can do at home with art supplies :)

We did print dusting in high school as an intro to forensic science....