Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Plutosaurus

Where were you on September 11, 2001?

11 minutes ago, cluelessgenius said:

given that i was 9 years old and non-american i really dont remember anymore nor do i care. terror attacks happen all over the planet but somehow this one gets way more attention. yall need to get over it its been 18 years. why dont you remember the day lincoln got murdered while youre at it. 

Well... it's true that terror attacks happen across the world every so often but I don't think there has been a single attack with nearly as many victims. Plus it was extremely dramatic in its execution and it destroyed a significant symbol of US power.

The US may have overreacted in the years to come (after all it was in the government's interest to have an excuse to attack Iraq) but it was undeniably an event of historical proportions.

...is there a question here? 🤔

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

What is scaling and how does it work? Asus PB287Q unboxing! Console alternatives :D Watch Netflix with Kodi on Arch Linux Sharing folders over the internet using SSH Beginner's Guide To LTT (by iamdarkyoshi)

Sauron'stm Product Scores:

Spoiler

Just a list of my personal scores for some products, in no particular order, with brief comments. I just got the idea to do them so they aren't many for now :)

Don't take these as complete reviews or final truths - they are just my personal impressions on products I may or may not have used, summed up in a couple of sentences and a rough score. All scores take into account the unit's price and time of release, heavily so, therefore don't expect absolute performance to be reflected here.

-Lenovo Thinkpad X220 - [8/10]

Spoiler

A durable and reliable machine that is relatively lightweight, has all the hardware it needs to never feel sluggish and has a great IPS matte screen. Downsides are mostly due to its age, most notably the screen resolution of 1366x768 and usb 2.0 ports.

-Apple Macbook (2015) - [Garbage -/10]

Spoiler

From my perspective, this product has no redeeming factors given its price and the competition. It is underpowered, overpriced, impractical due to its single port and is made redundant even by Apple's own iPad pro line.

-OnePlus X - [7/10]

Spoiler

A good phone for the price. It does everything I (and most people) need without being sluggish and has no particularly bad flaws. The lack of recent software updates and relatively barebones feature kit (most notably the lack of 5GHz wifi, biometric sensors and backlight for the capacitive buttons) prevent it from being exceptional.

-Microsoft Surface Book 2 - [Garbage - -/10]

Spoiler

Overpriced and rushed, offers nothing notable compared to the competition, doesn't come with an adequate charger despite the premium price. Worse than the Macbook for not even offering the small plus sides of having macOS. Buy a Razer Blade if you want high performance in a (relatively) light package.

-Intel Core i7 2600/k - [9/10]

Spoiler

Quite possibly Intel's best product launch ever. It had all the bleeding edge features of the time, it came with a very significant performance improvement over its predecessor and it had a soldered heatspreader, allowing for efficient cooling and great overclocking. Even the "locked" version could be overclocked through the multiplier within (quite reasonable) limits.

-Apple iPad Pro - [5/10]

Spoiler

A pretty good product, sunk by its price (plus the extra cost of the physical keyboard and the pencil). Buy it if you don't mind the Apple tax and are looking for a very light office machine with an excellent digitizer. Particularly good for rich students. Bad for cheap tinkerers like myself.

Some of this is what I remember, some of this is stuff that my parents have told me in the ensuing years.

I was 3 years old, about to turn 4. I remember I was at home that day and nothing seemed right. My mom was there, as were my grandparents (who lived basically right around the corner.) I remember going down to Bay Street and seeing the smoke in the distance.

My dad was driving into work. He didn't work in Manhattan, but he commuted through to get to his job. Thankfully he didn't leave early enough to get past the traffic, and he didn't get caught up in it.

I don't have great memory going that far back in time. There's little I remember from before ~5th Grade, but 9/11 is definitely something I'll never forget.

The Desktops

Main Rig: CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600X | RAM: 16GB TridentZ RGB 3200 | Motherboard: ASUS ROG Crosshair VI Hero | Storage: 1TB Samsung 970 EVO Plus, 2x1TB HDD | GPU: GTX 1080 Strix O8G | Cooling: Reeven Ouranos, 240mm AIO + NZXT Kraken G12 | Case: Fractal Design Meshify C (modified) | PSU: EVGA GS 550W

VR Rig: CPU: Intel Core i7-7700K | RAM: 16GB DDR4-2400 | Motherboard: ASUS Z270E Strix | Storage: 256GB Crucial MX100 + 240GB SanDisk SSD Plus | GPU: GTX 970 Strix | Cooling: 240mm + 360mm Custom Loop | Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ATX TG | PSU: Corsair CX550M

Hooptie: CPU: Intel Xeon E5645 | RAM: 12GB DDR3-1600 | Motherboard: ASUS P6X58D-Premium | Storage: 128GB SSD/1TB HDD | GPU: 8400GS Passive | Cooling: 240mm AIO | Case: Silverstone GD09 (modified) | PSU: Cooler Master Silent Pro M 720W

Oculus Rift CV1: 2x Sensors

The Portables

MacBook Air (Early 2015, A1466) 13": CPU: Intel Core i5-5250U | RAM: 4GB DDR3-1600 | Storage: 256GB SSD | GPU: Intel HD 6000

Nintendo Switch (Gray, HAC-001) | iPhone XS Max 64GB (Space Grey) | Apple Watch Series 2 (42mm) | AirPods (2nd Generation)

5 minutes ago, cluelessgenius said:

yes. terrorist attacks have happened since basically everywhere. people have and are dying everywhere. so what youre saying is that this ones special cause it happened to the us? idc. when its anywhere else people superimpose the flag of that country onto their instagram pictures for a week and then forget about it but now this one we gotta remember for all times? i dont think so

Well, I don't know if you're currently a U.S. citizen or not, but you may have noticed Americans take a lot of pride in their their country. Sadly many other people from other countries lack the ability to comprehend this.

Unlike Germany, we are not reminded every 200 feet about the evils of our own heritage...

I was 2 years old, probably crawling around somewhere 

PC: Alienware 15 R3  Cpu: 7700hq  GPu : 1070 OC   Display: 1080p IPS Gsync panel 60hz  Storage: 970 evo 250 gb / 970 evo plus 500gb 

Just now, Tamesh16 said:

I was 2 years old, probably crawling around somewhere 

I was attending tech school in the U.S. Air Force...it was a scary time.

1 minute ago, Sauron said:

Well... it's true that terror attacks happen across the world every so often but I don't think there has been a single attack with nearly as many victims. Plus it was extremely dramatic in its execution and it destroyed a significant symbol of US power.

The US may have overreacted in the years to come (after all it was in the government's interest to have an excuse to attack Iraq) but it was undeniably an event of historical proportions.

well sure but its not like things of that nature have never happened before. they literally dropped a nuclear bomb on nagasaki and im sure the japanese have their time every years remembering it but you dont see them going on about it towards the whole rest of the world. you know how long the second world war and the 3rd reich are thought during german middle school historie lessons. through all middle school. i get that its important but maybe realize that its not to the rest of the world. i feel american always think they are the center of the universe. 

"I know its stupidly overdone and unreasonably unneccesary but wouldnt it be awesome if ..."

CPU: Delidded i7 7700k (watercooled) Cooling: 3x 360 rads by Alphacool  MB: ASUS z270i  RAM: G.Skill Trident Z RGB 16GB  GPU: MSI GTX1080 Ti Aero (watercooled)  DISPLAY: LG 34UC88-B 21:9 1440p SSD(OS): Samsung 960 EVO 250GB SSD(Games): Corsair MP510 960GB SSD(Applikations): Samsung 850 EVO 500GB  HDD(Scratch): WD Blue 500GB HDD(Downloads): WD Blue 320GB HDD(Long-term): WD Green 2TB (external)   PSU: Corsair SF600 Case: Lian Li PC-O11 D Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: Logitech G513 Carbon

6 minutes ago, steelo said:

Unlike Germany, we are not reminded every 200 feet about the evils of our own heritage...

but maybe you should be aswell... the current presidents has talked about bombing countries into the ground like its just another friday night boxing match. maybe it wouldnt hurt to be a bit more self critical and look at what one has done instead of only looking at what was done to you.

"I know its stupidly overdone and unreasonably unneccesary but wouldnt it be awesome if ..."

CPU: Delidded i7 7700k (watercooled) Cooling: 3x 360 rads by Alphacool  MB: ASUS z270i  RAM: G.Skill Trident Z RGB 16GB  GPU: MSI GTX1080 Ti Aero (watercooled)  DISPLAY: LG 34UC88-B 21:9 1440p SSD(OS): Samsung 960 EVO 250GB SSD(Games): Corsair MP510 960GB SSD(Applikations): Samsung 850 EVO 500GB  HDD(Scratch): WD Blue 500GB HDD(Downloads): WD Blue 320GB HDD(Long-term): WD Green 2TB (external)   PSU: Corsair SF600 Case: Lian Li PC-O11 D Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: Logitech G513 Carbon

10 minutes ago, cluelessgenius said:

but maybe you should be aswell... the current presidents has talked about bombing countries into the ground like its just another friday night boxing match. maybe it wouldnt hurt to be a bit more self critical and look at what one has done instead of only looking at what was done to you.

Pride can be a positive and a negative. Tell me, would you rather invade a country that is proud to stand up for themselves or one where the people have been worn down to believe their own history is 'evil'? We need to learn from our mistakes, but also move forward, not backwards.

12 minutes ago, cluelessgenius said:

well sure but its not like things of that nature have never happened before. they literally dropped a nuclear bomb on nagasaki and im sure the japanese have their time every years remembering it but you dont see them going on about it towards the whole rest of the world. you know how long the second world war and the 3rd reich are thought during german middle school historie lessons. through all middle school. i get that its important but maybe realize that its not to the rest of the world. i feel american always think they are the center of the universe. 

Really dude, we arent reminded of this day every single year? It's pretty standard (at least in the American education system) to have learned about this by the 3rd grade.

1 minute ago, steelo said:

Pride can be a positive and a negative. Tell me, would you rather invade a country that is proud to stand up for themselves or one where the people have been worn down to believe their own history is 'evil'?

i would actually like to question the ones that are invading. and blissful ignorance of ones own historie isnt the way. sure it makes confident people but also keeps people from learning anything. i dont think its that healthy to have people think they can do nothing wrong and everything is justified. a little self evaluationg has never hurt anyone. 

this whole discussion just feels childish. imagine your brother kicked you in the knee when you where 6 and youre still bitching about it in your twenties. 

also you mentioned pride but pride would be celebrating something good the country has done not screaming for everyones attention about something bad that has happened to you.

23 hours ago, cluelessgenius said:

i would actually like to question the ones that are invading. and blissful ignorance of ones own historie isnt the way. sure it makes confident people but also keeps people from learning anything. i dont think its that healthy to have people think they can do nothing wrong and everything is justified. a little self evaluationg has never hurt anyone. 

this whole discussion just feels childish. imagine your brother kicked you in the knee when you where 6 and youre still bitching about it in your twenties. 

also you mentioned pride but pride would be celebrating something good the country has done not screaming for everyones attention about something bad that has happened to you.

Perhaps you are the one being childish, no? Nobody is screaming and crying for attention but yourself. We are simply remembering those who were lost and how our country changed forever. You have every right to ignore what happened, rather than bitch about Americans mourning for those loved ones lost that that day.

35 minutes ago, cluelessgenius said:

given that i was 9 years old and non-american i really dont remember anymore nor do i care. terror attacks happen all over the planet but somehow this one gets way more attention. yall need to get over it its been 18 years. why dont you remember the day lincoln got murdered while youre at it. 

You have to realize that 9/11 changed the entire world - not just America. It directly resulted in the chaos that is currently the Middle East,

including the invasion and destruction of both Afghanistan and Iraq. And that lead to a power vacuum that allowed ISIS to rise to power, which caused the destruction of Syria and Libya (to some extent anyway). 

Then, you have the fact that a commercial airliner was used as a weapon for the first

time in history. This changed air travel forever. So many new rules, new systems in place, things being banned, etc. 

I’m not American, but we remember 9/11 for

our American brothers and sisters. It was a tragedy on a scale that hasn’t been seen since WW2. 

And yeah the nuclear bombs in Japan were more devastating. That was war. Doesn’t make what happened okay, but it does explain the large scale violence. 

This was during a time of peace. 

We can only hope that something like 9/11 never happens again. 

For Sale - iPhone SE 32GB - Unlocked - Rose GoldSold

Spoiler

* Intel i7-4770K * ASRock Z97 Anniversary * 16GB RAM * 750w Seasonic Modular PSU *

* Crucial M4 128GB SSD (Primary) * Hitachi 500GB HDD (Secondary) *

* Gigabyte HD 7950 WF3 * SATA Blu-Ray Writer * Logitech g710+ * Windows 10 Pro x64 *

Posted · Original PosterOP
29 minutes ago, steelo said:

Really dude, we arent reminded of this day every single year? It's pretty standard (at least in the American education system) to have learned about this by the 3rd grade.

Neither the USA nor Japan was innocent in that war.

Everyone lost.

The Japanese killed a lot of non combatants (mainly Chinese in the hundreds of thousands) in the most cruel and horrifying ways, and these are NEVER taught in schools. (Maybe because we pardoned them in exchange for their research)

Unit 731 for reference.

The a bombs were devastating, no doubt.

The bigger lesson is war in general hurts humanity. 

My System: i7-8700k 5.0ghz delidded @1.355v // Cryorig H7 Quad Lumi // Gigabyte Aorus Z370 Gaming 5 // 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3200 // Sapphire Radeon RX Vega 64 UV/OC 1677core/1050hbm // NZXT S340 White // Seasonic Focus Plus Gold 850w // Intel 660P 1TB NVME M.2 SSD/120GB PNY CS900/480GB PNY CS1311/1TB Hitachi Deskstar // Displays: ASUS VG248QE/Acer K242HYL/Acer K242HYL // Corsair K68 Mechanical Keyboard - Logitech G502 // Corsair H70 Gaming Headset

Wife's System: i7-8700 // Arctic Freezer 33 // Gigabyte Z390M Gaming // 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200 // Sapphire Vega 56 8GB // Thermaltake Versa H17 // Seasonic Focus Plus Gold 850w // 500GB Silicon Power A55/4TB Western Digital HDD // Displays: ASUS VG245H/ASUS VP248Q // Corsair K68 Mechanical Keyboard // Logitech G602

TV Gamer: Ryzen 5 1600 4.0Ghz // Wraith Spire // Gigabyte B450 Aorus M // 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3200 // XFX Radeon RX 580 8GB // Thermaltake Versa H17 // Corsair Vengeance 650W // 120GB Sandisk SSD/4TB Western Digital Blue // Display: 50" Westinghouse 1080p // Rii Wireless Mini Keyboard w/Touchpad/Xbox One Controllers

Son's System: i3-8350k 4.8ghz @ 1.35v // Cryorig H7 Quad Lumi // ASRock Z370 Extreme 4 // 16GB T-Force Vulcan 2667 // ASUS Radeon RX 570 4GB // NZXT S340 Black // Seasonic S12II 620w Bronze // 525GB Crucial MX300/500GB Wester Digital Blue // Display: Dell P2417H - Eagletech KG010 Mechanical Keyboard // Logitech G203

Daughter's System: i5-4570 // ASUS H81I-Plus // 8GB Corsair DDR3 XMS2 1333 // Zotac GeForce GTX 1060 3GB Mini // Cooler Master Elite 130 // Corsair CX600M // 120GB Sandisk SSD/500GB Western Digital Blue // Display: AOC 20" // Eagletech KG010 Mechanical Keyboard // HP Business Mouse

Now that I think about it, I think 9/11 had an indirect effect on me personally, and that would have to do with my relationship with my dad. He did some time in both the Iraq and the Afghanistan Wars when I was younger. I honestly think it wrecked my relationship with my dad hard, as I was way more attached to my mom because of that.

I'm sure I'm not the only one here who's had something like this to a parent who serves in the military.

Volume / Normalized 100% / 66% (content loudness 3.7dB)

Local VHS collector and video capture amateur. PM me for any questions concerning VHS recording if interested.

@Dan Castellaneta x @pinksnowbirdie | Jake x Tyler :^

35 minutes ago, cluelessgenius said:

they literally dropped a nuclear bomb on nagasaki and im sure the japanese have their time every years remembering it but you dont see them going on about it towards the whole rest of the world.

Actually a huge chunk of Japanese art and culture following WWII has been massively influenced by the bombs. Godzilla and kaiju movies in general are straight up a metaphor for nukes - this idea that something monstrous and unstoppable can just show up at your doorstep and obliterate everything you know. And yes, it was an attack on a much larger scale, but the context was also radically different - it was a world war whereas 9/11 happened in a time of "peace" as far as US citizens were concerned. You don't expect the equivalent of a carpet bombing out of nowhere (which if you think about it is what happened at Pearl Harbor, the other attack the US is extremely sensitive about).

30 minutes ago, cluelessgenius said:

That doesn't really capture the symbolic significance of the event... this is more like your brother killed your pet when you were 6.

33 minutes ago, cluelessgenius said:

Being hurt in your pride is not the same as celebrating things you're proud about... also why do you think these things are mutually exclusive? Surely you can be sad about something and be happy about something else at the same time?

...is there a question here? 🤔

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

What is scaling and how does it work? Asus PB287Q unboxing! Console alternatives :D Watch Netflix with Kodi on Arch Linux Sharing folders over the internet using SSH Beginner's Guide To LTT (by iamdarkyoshi)

Sauron'stm Product Scores:

Spoiler

Just a list of my personal scores for some products, in no particular order, with brief comments. I just got the idea to do them so they aren't many for now :)

Don't take these as complete reviews or final truths - they are just my personal impressions on products I may or may not have used, summed up in a couple of sentences and a rough score. All scores take into account the unit's price and time of release, heavily so, therefore don't expect absolute performance to be reflected here.

-Lenovo Thinkpad X220 - [8/10]

Spoiler

A durable and reliable machine that is relatively lightweight, has all the hardware it needs to never feel sluggish and has a great IPS matte screen. Downsides are mostly due to its age, most notably the screen resolution of 1366x768 and usb 2.0 ports.

-Apple Macbook (2015) - [Garbage -/10]

Spoiler

From my perspective, this product has no redeeming factors given its price and the competition. It is underpowered, overpriced, impractical due to its single port and is made redundant even by Apple's own iPad pro line.

-OnePlus X - [7/10]

Spoiler

A good phone for the price. It does everything I (and most people) need without being sluggish and has no particularly bad flaws. The lack of recent software updates and relatively barebones feature kit (most notably the lack of 5GHz wifi, biometric sensors and backlight for the capacitive buttons) prevent it from being exceptional.

-Microsoft Surface Book 2 - [Garbage - -/10]

Spoiler

Overpriced and rushed, offers nothing notable compared to the competition, doesn't come with an adequate charger despite the premium price. Worse than the Macbook for not even offering the small plus sides of having macOS. Buy a Razer Blade if you want high performance in a (relatively) light package.

-Intel Core i7 2600/k - [9/10]

Spoiler

Quite possibly Intel's best product launch ever. It had all the bleeding edge features of the time, it came with a very significant performance improvement over its predecessor and it had a soldered heatspreader, allowing for efficient cooling and great overclocking. Even the "locked" version could be overclocked through the multiplier within (quite reasonable) limits.

-Apple iPad Pro - [5/10]

Spoiler

A pretty good product, sunk by its price (plus the extra cost of the physical keyboard and the pencil). Buy it if you don't mind the Apple tax and are looking for a very light office machine with an excellent digitizer. Particularly good for rich students. Bad for cheap tinkerers like myself.

2 hours ago, cluelessgenius said:

It seems you chose your username well. Have you no respect for the feelings of others?

Jeannie

As long as anyone is oppressed, no one will be safe and free.

One has to be proactive, not reactive, to ensure the safety of one's data so backup your data! And RAID is NOT a backup!

27 minutes ago, Lady Fitzgerald said:

It seems you chose your username well. Have you no respect for the feelings of others?

His argument essentially went like this, "Quit being selfish about mourning the loss of your loved ones...terrorist attacks happen everywhere. You're not special"

My grandfather died (old age, in Spain)

I was 5 at the moment and I didn't see my father in a while since he was taking care of his own dad so... Yup

Not born, Sadly these days there are legit kids who do not believe 9/11 happened and that its a meme 

Main Laptop (Gearsy MK2): Ryzen 5 2500U, Vega 8 Mobile,12 GB 2400 Mhz DDR4, 250 GB 960 Evo NVME PCIE SSD  1 TB HDD, 15.6" 1080p IPS Touchscreen 

HP Envy X360 15z (Ryzen)

PC (Gearsy): A6 3650, HD 6530D , 8 GB 1600 Mhz Kingston DDR3, Some Random Mobo Lol, EVGA 450W BT PSU, Stock Cooler, 128 GB Kingston SSD, 1 TB WD Blue 7200 RPM

HP P7 1234 (Yes It's Actually Called That) 

BF's Laptop (Blanny): Celeron N3060, HD 400, 4 GB DDR3, 32 GB EMMC, 64 GB Samsung EVO SD Card, 768p TN Display

2016 HP Stream 11.6 (Reason Why Its Even Listed Is Because I Originally Owned It)

Also im happy to answer any Ryzen Mobile questions if anyone is interested! 

Just now, Silentprototipe said:

Not born, Sadly these days there are legit kids who do not believe 9/11 happened and that its a meme 

i never heard of anyone who thinks it didnt happen but some people think bush did it

Just now, spartaman64 said:

i never heard of anyone who thinks it didnt happen but some people think bush did it

Believe me there are because how much its been used in memes. Aka 9/11 these days for kids is more of a meme than a national tragedy 

Main Laptop (Gearsy MK2): Ryzen 5 2500U, Vega 8 Mobile,12 GB 2400 Mhz DDR4, 250 GB 960 Evo NVME PCIE SSD  1 TB HDD, 15.6" 1080p IPS Touchscreen 

HP Envy X360 15z (Ryzen)

PC (Gearsy): A6 3650, HD 6530D , 8 GB 1600 Mhz Kingston DDR3, Some Random Mobo Lol, EVGA 450W BT PSU, Stock Cooler, 128 GB Kingston SSD, 1 TB WD Blue 7200 RPM

HP P7 1234 (Yes It's Actually Called That) 

BF's Laptop (Blanny): Celeron N3060, HD 400, 4 GB DDR3, 32 GB EMMC, 64 GB Samsung EVO SD Card, 768p TN Display

2016 HP Stream 11.6 (Reason Why Its Even Listed Is Because I Originally Owned It)

Also im happy to answer any Ryzen Mobile questions if anyone is interested! 

1 hour ago, Lady Fitzgerald said:

you know what youre right where did i think this was gonna go? ill let you guys be

15 minutes ago, cluelessgenius said:

you know what youre right where did i think this was gonna go? ill let you guys be

if a terror attack caused the death of 3000 people and the destruction of a major landmark its going to be considered a big tragedy in any country

you saying if terrorists attacked and destroyed brandenburg gate and killed 3000 people it won't be a huge national tragedy in germany?