Idk what this is

KuroKami07
Go to solution Solved by Stahlmann,
1 hour ago, KuroKami07 said:

Edit - just changed response time to normal and now it is like normal.

Response time was the issue. I got that ghosting in fast and fastest response time.

Ok then it was pixel "overshoot". "Fast" will likely look a bit better at higher refresh rates, but when you get to lower refresh rates, overshoot will replace the traditional blur and result in an even worse image. "Fastest" is likely only there so the brand can market a 1ms response time, even if the monitor looks horrible when using it. If you never want to change it and often play games in the lower fps range around 60, then "Normal" is probably what you should use.

Sadly only some high-end monitors support variable overdrive (monitor automatically always uses optimal overdrive setting according to refresh rate).

OLEDs generally don't have this problem because the pixels are fast enough already, which means they don't need pixel overdrive in the first place.

hello, i bought a MSI monitor recently.

1440p 180hz 

i got this whenever i move my mice.

this is with adaptive sync on. i don’t get this with AS off.

idk what we call this thing i forgot. latency? input lag? response time? sorry i’m not well knowledgeable about this thing.

Monitor says it have 1ms response time so i thought this shouldn’t happen on adaptive Sync on.

IMG_4384.jpeg

IMG_4385.jpeg

IMG_4386.jpeg

IMG_4387.jpeg

Is it the ghosting on the depth charge in the background? Does this happen in the desktop? In all games? I'm a bit lost here

5950X/3080Ti primary rig  |  1920X/1070Ti Unraid for dockers  |  200TB TrueNAS w/ 1:1 backup

1440p 180hz 

idk what we call this thing i forgot. latency? input lag? response time? sorry i’m not well knowledgeable about this thing.

Monitor says it have 1ms response time so i thought this shouldn’t happen on adaptive Sync on.

IMG_4384.jpeg

IMG_4385.jpeg

IMG_4386.jpeg

IMG_4387.jpeg

Try turning down the refresh rate to 144Hz.

Ryzen 7950x3D Direct Die NH-D15

RTX 4090 @133%/+230/+500

Builder/Enthusiast/Overclocker since 2012  //  Professional since 2017

1440p 180hz 

IMG_4384.jpeg

IMG_4385.jpeg

IMG_4386.jpeg

IMG_4387.jpeg

Try updating your GPU drivers. 

Have you tried turning it off and on again? Maybe Restart it? 

Please make sure to Mark the Solution as a Solution.

Take everything I say with a grain of salt. I could be just about wrong as I am right.

Main RIG

13600K (Undervolted) +MSI Z690 Edge Wi-Fi+ Team Elite 32gb RAM (3200) +Noctua Nhd-15 Chromax Black+ Intel 670p 1TB SSD+ Intel Arc A770+ Corsair Crystal 465x case+ EVGA SuperNOVA 650W PSU.+ ASUS VP222 Gaming Monitor

Laptop for School: Surface go 2 (sucks ass)

Laptop for tinkering: Dell Inspirion 3358

Audio: Apple Airpods Pro (1st Gen)

(Apple_reigns_ supreme_ forever_ and_ ever)

(I am 15 years old and don't know shit about fucking shit.) 

Everyone must suffer one of two Pains: The pain of Discipline or the pain of regret and disappointment.

-Jim Rohn

Looks like stuttering, did you test if other games have the same issue? 

If it's only happening on Honkai and you have Nvidia card, then I'm gonna guess it's something to do with DX11 borderless window.

For me I couldn't really figure out why gsync on Genshin would suddenly stopped working while other games are fine. I might've played too much on Nvidia driver which caused it. 

Try DDU and reinstall your graphics driver, then turn on Gsync for both borderless and fullscreen. 

PC spec: CPU: RYZEN 9 5950X | GPU: SAPPHIRE NITRO+ SE AMD RADEON 6900XT (Undervolt to 1045mV) | MB: MSI MAG TOMAHAWK x570 RAM: G.SKILL TRIDENT Z NEO 32GB (2x16GB) DDR4-3600 (OC to 3800 14-15-15-25) COOLING: NOCTUA NH-D15, BE QUIET! SILENT WINGS 120 & 140mm| CASE: IN-WIN 707 | 5.25" BAY: LG WH16NS60 INTERNAL BLU-RAY OPTICAL DRIVE | PSU: SEASONIC PRIME PLATINUM 1000WUPS: POWERSHIELD COMMANDER TOWER 1100VA

PERIPHERALS: KEYBOARD: CORSAIR K95 PLATINUM XT BROWN SWITCH | MOUSE: CORSAIR SABRE PRO WIRELESS | CONTROLLER: PDP AFTERGLOW WIRED CONTROLLER, DUALSENSE
DISPLAYS: LG 34GN8502x DELL S2721DGF | LG C1 48" 

HT & audio stuff:  AVR: MARANTZ SR7013 | STEREO AMPLIFIER: YAMAHA AS-501 | SPEAKERS: DALI OBERON 7 & DALI ZENSOR 1 & 2x SVS-SB2000 | HEADPHONE DAC+AMP: TOPPING L30+E30 | HEADPHONE: SENNHEISER HD6XX, BOSE QUIETCOMFORT 35 II | MICROPHONE: AUDIO-TECHNICA AT9934USB | BLU-RAY PLAYER: PANASONIC UB820

This looks like horrible image crosstalk. Disable blacklight strobing if you have it enabled.

If someone did not use reason to reach their conclusion in the first place, you cannot use reason to convince them otherwise.

Posted (edited)
On 5/15/2024 at 1:13 AM, BuzzingBee said:

Looks like stuttering, did you test if other games have the same issue? 

If it's only happening on Honkai and you have Nvidia card, then I'm gonna guess it's something to do with DX11 borderless window.

For me I couldn't really figure out why gsync on Genshin would suddenly stopped working while other games are fine. I might've played too much on Nvidia driver which caused it. 

Try DDU and reinstall your graphics driver, then turn on Gsync for both borderless and fullscreen. 

Yes, it is same in other games like Granblue Fantasy Relink.

Turning off Adaptive sync solve this issue but monitor using 180hz when game is at 60fps consumes a lot of power. Maybe i should change my monitor refresh rate before playing a game? But will changing it frequently cause some issue?

I have reinstalled graphic driver. Even installed this MSI monitor driver.

Response time was the issue. I got that ghosting in fast and fastest response time.

IMG20240516173219.jpg

Edited by KuroKami07
Solved

On 5/14/2024 at 9:55 PM, OddOod said:

Is it the ghosting on the depth charge in the background? Does this happen in the desktop? In all games? I'm a bit lost here

Yes, only on the background. Not on my character. It same in other games too. 

Yes desktop 

9 minutes ago, KuroKami07 said:

consumes a lot of power

You're looking at *maybe* 5% power draw difference, just a few watts. Even if you're paying 10 times what I do for power and gaming 80 hours a week, that's 3 bucks a month marginal cost

12 minutes ago, KuroKami07 said:

change my monitor refresh rate before playing a game?

This is doable and you could probably even find a utility that lets you do it via command line so you could use a keyboard shortcut

14 minutes ago, KuroKami07 said:

changing it frequently cause some issue?

Nope. Totally safe. In fact, theoretically if you were to run it at a lower refresh most of the time you might possibly extend the life of the monitor. I have no evidence or stats to back that up, it's possible I'm way off base, but it could be true, though not a good enough reason to daily drive a 180hz display at 60hz except for post apocalypse reasons)

All that being said however....

17 minutes ago, KuroKami07 said:

Turning off Adaptive sync solve this issue

This sounds like you've got a weird settings issue. Do you happen to have a spare drive laying around you could install windows on and see if it persists with a fresh install (with DDU of course)?

5950X/3080Ti primary rig  |  1920X/1070Ti Unraid for dockers  |  200TB TrueNAS w/ 1:1 backup

Ok then it was pixel "overshoot". "Fast" will likely look a bit better at higher refresh rates, but when you get to lower refresh rates, overshoot will replace the traditional blur and result in an even worse image. "Fastest" is likely only there so the brand can market a 1ms response time, even if the monitor looks horrible when using it. If you never want to change it and often play games in the lower fps range around 60, then "Normal" is probably what you should use.

Sadly only some high-end monitors support variable overdrive (monitor automatically always uses optimal overdrive setting according to refresh rate).

OLEDs generally don't have this problem because the pixels are fast enough already, which means they don't need pixel overdrive in the first place.

If someone did not use reason to reach their conclusion in the first place, you cannot use reason to convince them otherwise.

2 hours ago, Stahlmann said:

I see.

I'll mostly switch bw MPRT mode or normal response time to see which one I'm more comfortable with.

Thank you for the answer.

Ya, but OLED ones are very expensive.

2 hours ago, OddOod said:

You're looking at *maybe* 5% power draw difference, just a few watts. Even if you're paying 10 times what I do for power and gaming 80 hours a week, that's 3 bucks a month marginal cost

This is doable and you could probably even find a utility that lets you do it via command line so you could use a keyboard shortcut

Nope. Totally safe. In fact, theoretically if you were to run it at a lower refresh most of the time you might possibly extend the life of the monitor. I have no evidence or stats to back that up, it's possible I'm way off base, but it could be true, though not a good enough reason to daily drive a 180hz display at 60hz except for post apocalypse reasons)

All that being said however....

This sounds like you've got a weird settings issue. Do you happen to have a spare drive laying around you could install windows on and see if it persists with a fresh install (with DDU of course)?

I see.

Not much power draw.

Yes, I'll see what i can do.

For now it was response time which fks it up.

MPRT mode use 1ms and works fine but when i set response time to 1ms manually then this happens.

So I'll just keep using MPRT mode for now.