HTPC - 4K video playback without GPU?

Go to solution Solved by Aereldor,
7 minutes ago, ulookuglynoob said:

It would probably either be the 8600g or the 8700g. The 5600g should also be good enough. Intel is not good for integrated graphics or any graphics at all.

5 minutes ago, ulookuglynoob said:

Maybe get a mobo with onboard sound and get like a lp 3050, 4060, or an a380 (not recommended)

This is wrong. This is very wrong lol. Literally any modern iGPU supports 4k playback. They have for like 10 years. 

Literally any iGPU will support 4k playback. Hell, I'm typing this from the iGPU on a Ryzen 9 6900HS laptop GPU's integrated graphics card, on a 4k HDR monitor, running at 12bit.

So your answer is - almost any iGPU in recent memory.

I'm not necessarily looking for a complete pc spec, just a 4k video playback question.

Would it be possible to run without a dedicated GPU provided a decent CPU with integrated graphics? Something like the new Intels or a Ryzen G series?

What would be the minimum for a certain good experience?

And if that's not possible, what's the lowest GPU I can get? 

My problem is not budget per se (even though I don't want to blow the roof), I just want to build an itx PC, and the in laws want an audio card (don't ask me...)

Thank you all!

I once gave Luke and Linus pizza.

Proud member of the ITX club.

**SCRAPYARD WARS!!!!**

#BringBackLuke

5 minutes ago, LukeLinusFanFic said:

I'm not necessarily looking for a complete pc spec, just a 4k video playback question.

Would it be possible to run without a dedicated GPU provided a decent CPU with integrated graphics? Something like the new Intels or a Ryzen G series?

My problem is not budget per se (even though I don't want to blow the roof), I just want to build an itx PC, and the in laws want an audio card (don't ask me...)

Thank you all!

It would probably either be the 8600g or the 8700g. The 5600g should also be good enough. Intel is not good for integrated graphics or any graphics at all.

7 minutes ago, LukeLinusFanFic said:

Maybe get a mobo with onboard sound and get like a lp 3050, 4060, or an a380 (not recommended)

5 minutes ago, ulookuglynoob said:

This is wrong. This is very wrong lol. Literally any modern iGPU supports 4k playback. They have for like 10 years. 

Literally any iGPU will support 4k playback. Hell, I'm typing this from the iGPU on a Ryzen 9 6900HS laptop GPU's integrated graphics card, on a 4k HDR monitor, running at 12bit.

So your answer is - almost any iGPU in recent memory.

i5 12600KF | Zotac RTX 4080 Gaming trinity | Team Vulcan 2x16GB DDR4 3600 | ASRock Z690M-ITX/ac | WD Black SN850x 2TB

Cooler Master NR200P v2 | ID Cooling Zoomflow 280 XT | SeaSonic Focus SGX-750 | Thermalright 2x140mm + 2x120mm aRGB

LG C2 OLED 48" 120hz | Epomaker TH80 (Gateron Yellow) | Logitech MX Master 3 | Koss Porta Pro Comm

11 minutes ago, LukeLinusFanFic said:

Thank you all!

iGPUs are more than capable at doing 4K video playback. ETA Prime on Youtube does a series of videos to include absolutely bare minimum spec PCs and 4K video playback is one of his tests.

Any of the AM4 G series, AM5, or LGA 1700 CPUs with an iGPU are plenty. Even little mini PCs with U/H/HS series laptop CPUs.

Ryzen 7950x3D Direct Die NH-D15

RTX 4090 @133%/+230/+500

Builder/Enthusiast/Overclocker since 2012  //  Professional IT since 2017

2 minutes ago, Aereldor said:

well, best to get an actually good igpu. No way I messed up this bad lol 😂.

This is nice if you need a dedicated encoder that isn't possible to be run simply with Intel's QuickSync. LP 3050/4060 is overkill, but does afford RTX upscaling/HDR features, but even those are unnecessary for a TV's distance.

My TV personally runs off of an R5 7600 and the iGPU. I've considered a few times rebuilding the rig into a case with PCIe slot capability and running a low profile RTX 3050 6GB, but its simply not worth it at 3 meters away.

Only reason it doesn't run off my old 4790k's iGPU is that the HDMI port is only HDMI 1.4.

Ryzen 7950x3D Direct Die NH-D15

RTX 4090 @133%/+230/+500

Builder/Enthusiast/Overclocker since 2012  //  Professional IT since 2017

1 minute ago, Agall said:

This is nice if you need a dedicated encoder that isn't possible to be run simply with Intel's QuickSync. LP 3050/4060 is overkill, but does afford RTX upscaling/HDR features, but even those are unnecessary for a TV's distance.

My TV personally runs off of an R5 7600 and the iGPU. I've considered a few times rebuilding the rig into a case with PCIe slot capability and running a low profile RTX 3050 6GB, but its simply not worth it at 3 meters away.

I guess i forgot that this aint a gaming PC...

1 minute ago, ulookuglynoob said:

No way I messed up this bad lol 😂

I'm afraid you did. Budget cell phones support 4k video playback. A $40 fire TV stick supports 4k video playback with dolby vision. You don't need a graphics card.

Just now, ulookuglynoob said:

I guess i forgot that this aint a gaming PC...

The cards you recommended are entirely unsuitable for 4k gaming too. Besides the 4060, they're barely enough for 1080p. 

i5 12600KF | Zotac RTX 4080 Gaming trinity | Team Vulcan 2x16GB DDR4 3600 | ASRock Z690M-ITX/ac | WD Black SN850x 2TB

Cooler Master NR200P v2 | ID Cooling Zoomflow 280 XT | SeaSonic Focus SGX-750 | Thermalright 2x140mm + 2x120mm aRGB

LG C2 OLED 48" 120hz | Epomaker TH80 (Gateron Yellow) | Logitech MX Master 3 | Koss Porta Pro Comm

4 minutes ago, Aereldor said:

I'm afraid you did. Budget cell phones support 4k video playback. A $40 fire TV stick supports 4k video playback with dolby vision. You don't need a graphics card.

The cards you recommended are entirely unsuitable for 4k gaming too. Besides the 4060, they're barely enough for 1080p. 

Well, he said sff (or i assumed) mini itx, and those would be best... but yeah, not for 4k. well, I guess I messed up real bad. sorry llff

Well, he said sff (or i assumed) mini itx, and those would be best... but yeah, not for 4k. well, I guess I messed up real bad.

SFF cases accomodate big GPUS now. I'm in the process of putting an enormous 356mm GPU into a commercially available 18 liter mini ITX case. The fractal ridge is even smaller and still takes something like a 325mm gpu, and that's HTPC sized. 

6 minutes ago, Aereldor said:

SFF cases accomodate big GPUS now. I'm in the process of putting an enormous 356mm GPU into a commercially available 18 liter mini ITX case. The fractal ridge is even smaller and still takes something like a 325mm gpu, and that's HTPC sized. 

ok my bad. this is what poped into my head:

image.png.5c88e5a6c4a1144f41edd19c23bda077.png

ok my bad. this is what poped into my head:

image.png.5c88e5a6c4a1144f41edd19c23bda077.png

Not the fractal ridge. Yeah i sold.

35 minutes ago, LukeLinusFanFic said:

Thank you all!

just get a modern cpu with integrated graphics. sorry for messing up. give solution to @Agall or @Aereldor

38 minutes ago, LukeLinusFanFic said:

Yes, almost every iGPU in a decade has supported 4k playback.

38 minutes ago, LukeLinusFanFic said:

the in laws want an audio card (don't ask me...)

Seems like they might have experience with PCs from long ago when those were necessary. Explain to them that it's integrated into the motherboard now, because it is.

4k video playback requires the iGPU to support the resolution, and to support HDCP 2.2 (hardware security handshake that allows 4k playback on Netflix etc.) HDCP 2.2 was part of HDMI 2.0.

Both have been around since 2013. 

1 hour ago, Aereldor said:

Yes, almost every iGPU in a decade has supported 4k playback.

Seems like they might have experience with PCs from long ago when those were necessary. Explain to them that it's integrated into the motherboard now, because it is.

4k video playback requires the iGPU to support the resolution, and to support HDCP 2.2 (hardware security handshake that allows 4k playback on Netflix etc.) HDCP 2.2 was part of HDMI 2.0.

Both have been around since 2013. 

Thank you so much for your help! 

I tried explaining that, but they are self proclaimed "audiophiles" - the kind of people who claim can tell the difference between FLAC and normal audio...

I once gave Luke and Linus pizza.

Proud member of the ITX club.

**SCRAPYARD WARS!!!!**

#BringBackLuke