Where were you on September 11, 2001?

Mister Woof
5 minutes ago, cluelessgenius said:

yes. terrorist attacks have happened since basically everywhere. people have and are dying everywhere. so what youre saying is that this ones special cause it happened to the us? idc. when its anywhere else people superimpose the flag of that country onto their instagram pictures for a week and then forget about it but now this one we gotta remember for all times? i dont think so

Well, I don't know if you're currently a U.S. citizen or not, but you may have noticed Americans take a lot of pride in their their country. Sadly many other people from other countries lack the ability to comprehend this.

Unlike Germany, we are not reminded every 200 feet about the evils of our own heritage...

I was 2 years old, probably crawling around somewhere 

PC: Alienware 15 R3  Cpu: 7700hq  GPu : 1070 OC   Display: 1080p IPS Gsync panel 60hz  Storage: 970 evo 250 gb / 970 evo plus 500gb

Audio: Sennheiser HD 6xx  DAC: Schiit Modi 3E Amp: Schiit Magni Heresy

Just now, Tamesh16 said:

I was 2 years old, probably crawling around somewhere 

I was attending tech school in the U.S. Air Force...it was a scary time.

1 minute ago, Sauron said:

Well... it's true that terror attacks happen across the world every so often but I don't think there has been a single attack with nearly as many victims. Plus it was extremely dramatic in its execution and it destroyed a significant symbol of US power.

The US may have overreacted in the years to come (after all it was in the government's interest to have an excuse to attack Iraq) but it was undeniably an event of historical proportions.

well sure but its not like things of that nature have never happened before. they literally dropped a nuclear bomb on nagasaki and im sure the japanese have their time every years remembering it but you dont see them going on about it towards the whole rest of the world. you know how long the second world war and the 3rd reich are thought during german middle school historie lessons. through all middle school. i get that its important but maybe realize that its not to the rest of the world. i feel american always think they are the center of the universe. 

"You know it'll clock down as soon as it hits 40°C, right?" - "Yeah ... but it doesnt hit 40°C ... ever  😄"

GPU: MSI GTX1080 Ti Aero @ 2 GHz (watercooled) CPU: Ryzen 5600X (watercooled) RAM: 32GB 3600Mhz Corsair LPX MB: Gigabyte B550i PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Hyte Revolt 3

6 minutes ago, steelo said:

Unlike Germany, we are not reminded every 200 feet about the evils of our own heritage...

but maybe you should be aswell... the current presidents has talked about bombing countries into the ground like its just another friday night boxing match. maybe it wouldnt hurt to be a bit more self critical and look at what one has done instead of only looking at what was done to you.

"You know it'll clock down as soon as it hits 40°C, right?" - "Yeah ... but it doesnt hit 40°C ... ever  😄"

GPU: MSI GTX1080 Ti Aero @ 2 GHz (watercooled) CPU: Ryzen 5600X (watercooled) RAM: 32GB 3600Mhz Corsair LPX MB: Gigabyte B550i PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Hyte Revolt 3

10 minutes ago, cluelessgenius said:

but maybe you should be aswell... the current presidents has talked about bombing countries into the ground like its just another friday night boxing match. maybe it wouldnt hurt to be a bit more self critical and look at what one has done instead of only looking at what was done to you.

Pride can be a positive and a negative. Tell me, would you rather invade a country that is proud to stand up for themselves or one where the people have been worn down to believe their own history is 'evil'? We need to learn from our mistakes, but also move forward, not backwards.

12 minutes ago, cluelessgenius said:

well sure but its not like things of that nature have never happened before. they literally dropped a nuclear bomb on nagasaki and im sure the japanese have their time every years remembering it but you dont see them going on about it towards the whole rest of the world. you know how long the second world war and the 3rd reich are thought during german middle school historie lessons. through all middle school. i get that its important but maybe realize that its not to the rest of the world. i feel american always think they are the center of the universe. 

Really dude, we arent reminded of this day every single year? It's pretty standard (at least in the American education system) to have learned about this by the 3rd grade.

1 minute ago, steelo said:

Pride can be a positive and a negative. Tell me, would you rather invade a country that is proud to stand up for themselves or one where the people have been worn down to believe their own history is 'evil'?

i would actually like to question the ones that are invading. and blissful ignorance of ones own historie isnt the way. sure it makes confident people but also keeps people from learning anything. i dont think its that healthy to have people think they can do nothing wrong and everything is justified. a little self evaluationg has never hurt anyone. 

this whole discussion just feels childish. imagine your brother kicked you in the knee when you where 6 and youre still bitching about it in your twenties. 

also you mentioned pride but pride would be celebrating something good the country has done not screaming for everyones attention about something bad that has happened to you.

23 hours ago, cluelessgenius said:

i would actually like to question the ones that are invading. and blissful ignorance of ones own historie isnt the way. sure it makes confident people but also keeps people from learning anything. i dont think its that healthy to have people think they can do nothing wrong and everything is justified. a little self evaluationg has never hurt anyone. 

this whole discussion just feels childish. imagine your brother kicked you in the knee when you where 6 and youre still bitching about it in your twenties. 

also you mentioned pride but pride would be celebrating something good the country has done not screaming for everyones attention about something bad that has happened to you.

Perhaps you are the one being childish, no? Nobody is screaming and crying for attention but yourself. We are simply remembering those who were lost and how our country changed forever. You have every right to ignore what happened, rather than bitch about Americans mourning for those loved ones lost that that day.

35 minutes ago, cluelessgenius said:

given that i was 9 years old and non-american i really dont remember anymore nor do i care. terror attacks happen all over the planet but somehow this one gets way more attention. yall need to get over it its been 18 years. why dont you remember the day lincoln got murdered while youre at it. 

You have to realize that 9/11 changed the entire world - not just America. It directly resulted in the chaos that is currently the Middle East,

including the invasion and destruction of both Afghanistan and Iraq. And that lead to a power vacuum that allowed ISIS to rise to power, which caused the destruction of Syria and Libya (to some extent anyway). 

Then, you have the fact that a commercial airliner was used as a weapon for the first

time in history. This changed air travel forever. So many new rules, new systems in place, things being banned, etc. 

I’m not American, but we remember 9/11 for

our American brothers and sisters. It was a tragedy on a scale that hasn’t been seen since WW2. 

And yeah the nuclear bombs in Japan were more devastating. That was war. Doesn’t make what happened okay, but it does explain the large scale violence. 

This was during a time of peace. 

We can only hope that something like 9/11 never happens again. 

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

29 minutes ago, steelo said:

Really dude, we arent reminded of this day every single year? It's pretty standard (at least in the American education system) to have learned about this by the 3rd grade.

Neither the USA nor Japan was innocent in that war.

Everyone lost.

The Japanese killed a lot of non combatants (mainly Chinese in the hundreds of thousands) in the most cruel and horrifying ways, and these are NEVER taught in schools. (Maybe because we pardoned them in exchange for their research)

Unit 731 for reference.

The a bombs were devastating, no doubt.

The bigger lesson is war in general hurts humanity. 

Before you reply to my post, REFRESH. 99.99% chance I edited my post. 

My System: i7-13700KF // Corsair iCUE H150i Elite Capellix // MSI MPG Z690 Edge Wifi // 32GB DDR5 G. SKILL RIPJAWS S5 6000 CL32 // Nvidia RTX 4070 Super FE // Corsair 5000D Airflow // Corsair SP120 RGB Pro x7 // Seasonic Focus Plus Gold 850w //1TB ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro/1TB Teamgroup MP33/2TB Seagate 7200RPM Hard Drive // Displays: LG Ultragear 32GP83B x2 // Royal Kludge RK100 // Logitech G Pro X Superlight // Sennheiser DROP PC38x

Now that I think about it, I think 9/11 had an indirect effect on me personally, and that would have to do with my relationship with my dad. He did some time in both the Iraq and the Afghanistan Wars when I was younger. I honestly think it wrecked my relationship with my dad hard, as I was way more attached to my mom because of that.

I'm sure I'm not the only one here who's had something like this to a parent who serves in the military.

Check out my guide on how to scan cover art here!

Local asshole and 6th generation console enthusiast.

35 minutes ago, cluelessgenius said:

they literally dropped a nuclear bomb on nagasaki and im sure the japanese have their time every years remembering it but you dont see them going on about it towards the whole rest of the world.

Actually a huge chunk of Japanese art and culture following WWII has been massively influenced by the bombs. Godzilla and kaiju movies in general are straight up a metaphor for nukes - this idea that something monstrous and unstoppable can just show up at your doorstep and obliterate everything you know. And yes, it was an attack on a much larger scale, but the context was also radically different - it was a world war whereas 9/11 happened in a time of "peace" as far as US citizens were concerned. You don't expect the equivalent of a carpet bombing out of nowhere (which if you think about it is what happened at Pearl Harbor, the other attack the US is extremely sensitive about).

30 minutes ago, cluelessgenius said:

That doesn't really capture the symbolic significance of the event... this is more like your brother killed your pet when you were 6.

33 minutes ago, cluelessgenius said:

Being hurt in your pride is not the same as celebrating things you're proud about... also why do you think these things are mutually exclusive? Surely you can be sad about something and be happy about something else at the same time?

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

2 hours ago, cluelessgenius said:

given that i was 9 years old and non-american i really dont remember anymore nor do i care. terror attacks happen all over the planet but somehow this one gets way more attention. yall need to get over it its been 18 years. why dont you remember the day lincoln got murdered while youre at it. 

It seems you chose your username well. Have you no respect for the feelings of others?

Jeannie

As long as anyone is oppressed, no one will be safe and free.

One has to be proactive, not reactive, to ensure the safety of one's data so backup your data! And RAID is NOT a backup!

27 minutes ago, Lady Fitzgerald said:

It seems you chose your username well. Have you no respect for the feelings of others?

His argument essentially went like this, "Quit being selfish about mourning the loss of your loved ones...terrorist attacks happen everywhere. You're not special"

Not born, Sadly these days there are legit kids who do not believe 9/11 happened and that its a meme 

Primary Laptop (Gearsy MK4): Ryzen 9 5900HX, Radeon RX 6800M, Radeon Vega 8 Mobile, 24 GB DDR4 2400 Mhz, 512 GB SSD+1TB SSD, 15.6 in 300 Hz IPS display

2021 Asus ROG Strix G15 Advantage Edition

Secondary Laptop (Uni MK2): Ryzen 7 5800HS, Nvidia GTX 1650, Radeon Vega 8 Mobile, 16 GB DDR4 3200 Mhz, 512 GB SSD 

2021 Asus ROG Zephyrus G14 

Meme Machine (Uni MK1): Shintel Core i5 7200U, Nvidia GT 940MX, 24 GB DDR4 2133 Mhz, 256 GB SSD+500GB HDD, 15.6 in TN Display 

2016 Acer Aspire E5 575 

Retired Laptop (Gearsy MK2): Ryzen 5 2500U, Radeon Vega 8 Mobile, 12 GB 2400 Mhz DDR4, 256 GB NVME SSD, 15.6" 1080p IPS Touchscreen 

2017 HP Envy X360 15z (Ryzen)

PC (Gearsy): A6 3650, HD 6530D , 8 GB 1600 Mhz Kingston DDR3, Some Random Mobo Lol, EVGA 450W BT PSU, Stock Cooler, 128 GB Kingston SSD, 1 TB WD Blue 7200 RPM

HP P7 1234 (Yes It's Actually Called That)  RIP 

Also im happy to answer any Ryzen Mobile questions if anyone is interested! 

Just now, Silentprototipe said:

Not born, Sadly these days there are legit kids who do not believe 9/11 happened and that its a meme 

i never heard of anyone who thinks it didnt happen but some people think bush did it

Just now, spartaman64 said:

i never heard of anyone who thinks it didnt happen but some people think bush did it

Believe me there are because how much its been used in memes. Aka 9/11 these days for kids is more of a meme than a national tragedy 

Primary Laptop (Gearsy MK4): Ryzen 9 5900HX, Radeon RX 6800M, Radeon Vega 8 Mobile, 24 GB DDR4 2400 Mhz, 512 GB SSD+1TB SSD, 15.6 in 300 Hz IPS display

2021 Asus ROG Strix G15 Advantage Edition

Secondary Laptop (Uni MK2): Ryzen 7 5800HS, Nvidia GTX 1650, Radeon Vega 8 Mobile, 16 GB DDR4 3200 Mhz, 512 GB SSD 

2021 Asus ROG Zephyrus G14 

Meme Machine (Uni MK1): Shintel Core i5 7200U, Nvidia GT 940MX, 24 GB DDR4 2133 Mhz, 256 GB SSD+500GB HDD, 15.6 in TN Display 

2016 Acer Aspire E5 575 

Retired Laptop (Gearsy MK2): Ryzen 5 2500U, Radeon Vega 8 Mobile, 12 GB 2400 Mhz DDR4, 256 GB NVME SSD, 15.6" 1080p IPS Touchscreen 

2017 HP Envy X360 15z (Ryzen)

PC (Gearsy): A6 3650, HD 6530D , 8 GB 1600 Mhz Kingston DDR3, Some Random Mobo Lol, EVGA 450W BT PSU, Stock Cooler, 128 GB Kingston SSD, 1 TB WD Blue 7200 RPM

HP P7 1234 (Yes It's Actually Called That)  RIP 

Also im happy to answer any Ryzen Mobile questions if anyone is interested! 

1 hour ago, Lady Fitzgerald said:

you know what youre right where did i think this was gonna go? ill let you guys be

15 minutes ago, cluelessgenius said:

you know what youre right where did i think this was gonna go? ill let you guys be

if a terror attack caused the death of 3000 people and the destruction of a major landmark its going to be considered a big tragedy in any country

you saying if terrorists attacked and destroyed brandenburg gate and killed 3000 people it won't be a huge national tragedy in germany?

39 minutes ago, spartaman64 said:

if a terror attack caused the death of 3000 people and the destruction of a major landmark its going to be considered a big tragedy in any country

you saying if terrorists attacked and destroyed brandenburg gate and killed 3000 people it won't be a huge national tragedy in germany?

not to get pulled back into this but no i dont think we would make an annual event out of it 18 years later. i meam sure theres people celebrating the fall of the berlin wall still but its not a public mass thing. 

5 hours ago, cluelessgenius said:

Wow brah so edgy. 

It's called ingroupism, you care the most about your "tribe", and it's perfectly normal. Anyhow terrorist attacks happen frequently in other parts of the world, so it's the new normal and thus gets limited coverage. 9/11 was and remains deeply unusual, especially its scope. 

Desktop: 7800x3d @ stock, 64gb ddr4 @ 6000, 3080Ti, x670 Asus Strix

Laptop: Dell G3 15 - i7-8750h @ stock, 16gb ddr4 @ 2666, 1050Ti 

21 minutes ago, cluelessgenius said:

not to get pulled back into this but no i dont think we would make an annual event out of it 18 years later. i meam sure theres people celebrating the fall of the berlin wall still but its not a public mass thing. 

there isnt really an annual event except maybe in new york at the site. people just take a moment to remember but other than that yesterday was a normal day i went to work and did everything i normally do. a few people talked about what they were doing when they heard the news during our lunch break like what this thread is about but nothing else other than that